Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World - Colonial and Pre-Colonial Civs

I'm certainly excited for these

I was thinking a little about Canada and was wondering if a Voyager replacement for the scout would be useful. They would get two builder charger and then turn into a normal scout (paralleling how they developed resources during the HBC days). Maybe for a unique ability would be bountiful resources where each city would get +1 housing and each strategic resource would count as 2.

I'm sure you guys have better ideas and I can't wait for these to come out!

Hey, I've been checking on this thread often so I figured I'd make an account and join in on the discussion. :p

You guys do some awesome work here and I'm really excited to see these mods return for VI! One thing I was curious about is how leaders are going to be chosen from now on. This time around Firaxis seems to have went with leaders who had interesting personalities and backstories rather than focusing on who ruled the empire best. So far all of CL's mods have the same leaders, but I was wondering if you guys considered changing things up in the selection process.

For Canada, I'd say Pierre Trudeau would have fit VI's cast well considering how much of a rock star he was (by the way, on the topic of Canadian leaders that Pearson model looks AMAZING). I'm not so sure about alternative Australian and Vietnamese leader choices; was anyone else considered for those two?

Anyway, keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what you do with the Trung Sisters, especially with alternate leaders returning.

Hey, I've been checking on this thread often so I figured I'd make an account and join in on the discussion. :p

You guys do some awesome work here and I'm really excited to see these mods return for VI! One thing I was curious about is how leaders are going to be chosen from now on. This time around Firaxis seems to have went with leaders who had interesting personalities and backstories rather than focusing on who ruled the empire best. So far all of CL's mods have the same leaders, but I was wondering if you guys considered changing things up in the selection process.

For Canada, I'd say Pierre Trudeau would have fit VI's cast well considering how much of a rock star he was (by the way, on the topic of Canadian leaders that Pearson model looks AMAZING). I'm not so sure about alternative Australian and Vietnamese leader choices; was anyone else considered for those two?

Anyway, keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what you do with the Trung Sisters, especially with alternate leaders returning.

It has been a topic of discussion. We have discussed alternates for all of these Civs, and have even brainstormed abilities and agendas. However, I think one of the reasons why these are the first Civs is that we are well aware of what we want to do with them (at least thematically). Alternate leaders for these Civs may come later.

And yes, we did factor their personality and agenda options into the process. In some ways, its easier to have a powerful personality when we know more about their personal lives due to the recency of their time period. In other ways its harder, because we can't make up "plausible" stuff as easily. Restrictions breed creativity though, so we'll see. Feel free to suggest ideas! We're only human and would be happy to look into other options (of course, if we're far enough into development for something, we'll have to save the suggestion for later)

It has been a topic of discussion. We have discussed alternates for all of these Civs, and have even brainstormed abilities and agendas. However, I think one of the reasons why these are the first Civs is that we are well aware of what we want to do with them (at least thematically). Alternate leaders for these Civs may come later.

And yes, we did factor their personality and agenda options into the process. In some ways, its easier to have a powerful personality when we know more about their personal lives due to the recency of their time period. In other ways its harder, because we can't make up "plausible" stuff as easily. Restrictions breed creativity though, so we'll see. Feel free to suggest ideas! We're only human and would be happy to look into other options (of course, if we're far enough into development for something, we'll have to save the suggestion for later)
Well there is one idea I've been thinking about. You guys have good coverage of the world so far, and I think it would be cool to look into India. There's already a ton of Indian civs which is why I assume they haven't been touched yet, but what about the princely states? Not sure how exactly it'd work out since they were technically just British protectorates. They were scattered all over the subcontinent so I'm sure there would be plenty of diversity. Perhaps the empires preceding the princely states would work? The Sikh Empire put up a good fight when the British tried to take Punjab. They could make a good civ under Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

Well there is one idea I've been thinking about. You guys have good coverage of the world so far, and I think it would be cool to look into India. There's already a ton of Indian civs which is why I assume they haven't been touched yet, but what about the princely states? Not sure how exactly it'd work out since they were technically just British protectorates. They were scattered all over the subcontinent so I'm sure there would be plenty of diversity. Perhaps the empires preceding the princely states would work? The Sikh Empire put up a good fight when the British tried to take Punjab. They could make a good civ under Maharaja Ranjit Singh.

We'll put it on the table. The hardest thing to come by is art, so design is somewhat at the mercy of what artists want to do. If someone takes an interest in something Indian, it might get pushed up the queue. Also have to check if it falls under the scope of the mod and if there is an interesting design to give them that makes them worthwhile to play.

Loved your work on the Civ 5 Mods... although I could never get the Canada one to work properly in all aspects.

That being said, I will continue to lobby for the Royal Canadian Snowmobile Legion!!!

As a Canuck myself, and since we invented the damn things, I can say this is definitely the way we would want to fight our enemies (if we indeed had any)

:crazyeye:

I'm hyped for Canada.

I'm wondering why Firaxis hasn't done anything for the missing modern-day civs...

But it would be truly splendid to once more see Fidel Castro on my screen leading his Cuban people to greatness...

CL does great work on CiV. I'm looking forward to filling in the TSL locations with CL Civ6 modcivs. . Also honored that my native land was selected for the initial roster. Any new teasers for art assets on the Trungs?

Looks straight out a disney movie. Love it!

although that last image might be 2hot4civfanatics.

Civ Leaders Gone Wild! XD

Seriously, to the CL team... thank you. I look very forward to seeing what you do here! :)

Are you taking suggestions for Civs or do you have a full pipeline? I like the Inuit idea a lot, as I have a good friend of mine who is Inuit and I can easily lure her into the game with that Civ! :D

Wonderful! Are you guys planning on adding things like YnAMP support (I know, it's not finished yet)?

I'm not part of their team, but i can tell you with 100% certainty that Colonialist Legacies will not and never will make a Donald Trump mod.

It doesn't fit their theme, or their mission.

Civ Leaders Gone Wild! XD

Seriously, to the CL team... thank you. I look very forward to seeing what you do here! :)

Are you taking suggestions for Civs or do you have a full pipeline? I like the Inuit idea a lot, as I have a good friend of mine who is Inuit and I can easily lure her into the game with that Civ! :D
I'm not sure if you played the Inuit mod on 5, they were a fascinating playstyle which made cities on snow and tundra viable.

I'm not sure if you played the Inuit mod on 5, they were a fascinating playstyle which made cities on snow and tundra viable.

It probably wouldn't be that difficult to use something like Mother Russia to do something like this, except perhaps stronger on snow, with only +1 (whatever) on tundra? Maybe give them a unique improvement which gets bonus food next to camps and fishing boats?

An interesting racial sub-set that hasn't been covered yet that might be worth considering - The native peoples of modern Scandinavia (including NW Russia). Peoples like the Samoyeds... Or even more importantly, the Sami: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people

Like the Inuit, they'd have bonuses that help them get the most out of tundra and snow tiles... But while they were known for fishing, their 'big' symbolic thing was the Reindeer. Maybe give them a unique improvement that is like a pasture, but for Reindeer - have it yield culture and/or faith along side the more 'practical' yields (1 each of food and production?).
A unique unit is a little tougher... The best I can come up with is some kind of warrior or scout replacement that treats the unique improvement as though it were a barracks... Maybe with a special ability that lets it 'harvest' fur (and/or other 'hunted' animals) as though it were a builder? (Thats HARVEST, not 'improve').
The biggest issue I can see with turning them into a Civ, is that although there is a unified culture (and semi-unified language family), there was never truly a single unified Sami 'nation' (in the modern sense), and No obvious candidate for a Sami Civ leader... The only real candidates I could fine were:
- Isak Saba ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isak_Saba ) - The first Sami person to be elected to the Norwegian parliment, and the writer of what is today considered the Sami 'national anthem'.
- Ole Henrik Magga ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Henrik_Magga - who is still alive!) - First President of the Norwegian Sami Parliment, he is a linguist by trade and has represented Sami cultural interests abroad.
In either case, I see their 'leader trait' being something culturally focused... Maybe a large effectiveness/output boost for great works of writing and/or music?

Anyway, the over-arching point being the suggestion to not forget about the 'indigenous' culture that were (and still are) present in parts of Europe.

~JD

Scandinavian natives are a great idea. Maybe some of the indigenous Siberian peoples can be looked into as well.

An interesting racial sub-set that hasn't been covered yet that might be worth considering - The native peoples of modern Scandinavia (including NW Russia). Peoples like the Samoyeds... Or even more importantly, the Sami: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_people

Like the Inuit, they'd have bonuses that help them get the most out of tundra and snow tiles... But while they were known for fishing, their 'big' symbolic thing was the Reindeer. Maybe give them a unique improvement that is like a pasture, but for Reindeer - have it yield culture and/or faith along side the more 'practical' yields (1 each of food and production?).
A unique unit is a little tougher... The best I can come up with is some kind of warrior or scout replacement that treats the unique improvement as though it were a barracks... Maybe with a special ability that lets it 'harvest' fur (and/or other 'hunted' animals) as though it were a builder? (Thats HARVEST, not 'improve').
The biggest issue I can see with turning them into a Civ, is that although there is a unified culture (and semi-unified language family), there was never truly a single unified Sami 'nation' (in the modern sense), and No obvious candidate for a Sami Civ leader... The only real candidates I could fine were:
- Isak Saba ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isak_Saba ) - The first Sami person to be elected to the Norwegian parliment, and the writer of what is today considered the Sami 'national anthem'.
- Ole Henrik Magga ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Henrik_Magga - who is still alive!) - First President of the Norwegian Sami Parliment, he is a linguist by trade and has represented Sami cultural interests abroad.
In either case, I see their 'leader trait' being something culturally focused... Maybe a large effectiveness/output boost for great works of writing and/or music?

Anyway, the over-arching point being the suggestion to not forget about the 'indigenous' culture that were (and still are) present in parts of Europe.

~JD

There is a great civ 5 mod by Sukritact, and I think he is planning one for civ6.

Not sure if you are taking suggestions but just in case I thought i'd throw out Troy

Troy
Leader - King Priam

Civilization Trait - Mythic City of Homer: +2 Amenities in each city, +10% culture, +10% tourism.

Leader Trait - Beloved of Zeus: +5 opinion with all other leaders, trade routes give an extra +5 positive opinion with foreign civilizations and give both civs +2 gold.

Unique Unit - City Guard (replaces warrior): +15 strength while defending a district

Unique Building - Walls of Troy (replaces Ancient Walls): +10 city defense and +6 damage (same as the policy you can take)

Not sure if you are taking suggestions but just in case I thought i'd throw out Troy

Troy
Leader - King Priam

Civilization Trait - Mythic City of Homer: +2 Amenities in each city, +10% culture, +10% tourism.

Leader Trait - Beloved of Zeus: +5 opinion with all other leaders, trade routes give an extra +5 positive opinion with foreign civilizations and give both civs +2 gold.

Unique Unit - City Guard (replaces warrior): +15 strength while defending a district

Unique Building - Walls of Troy (replaces Ancient Walls): +10 city defense and +6 damage (same as the policy you can take)

LITE was going to do that, but like most modders a lot were scrapped due to Civ VI's announcement and release.

Top Bottom