• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Common Errors and/or Crashes Section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the changed function to calculate city spot value is also called in the function that finds starting plots. It fails now and as a result no one gets starting positions and units and without units you are defeated at once.
As a workaround until that is fixed use a map script that has its own starting plot finder like PerfectMongoose.

Whoops! My bad. Fix just pushed to SVN.

Latest SVN (841), press enter at the end of turn and CTD! The only error I can find is "Error! Rebel types not found, no short lists available" which may have been caused when I "fixed" the divide by zero problem. It probably means I will need to track back further to find why the value is zero in the first place.

@ Koshling:

Now this is the fifth (5th) NEW game i have started, i WANT barbarian Civ to work, but the options screen and the settings screen, does NOT say i have it working, but i know for a fact i UN-checked the NO barbarian Civs options??:mad:

@ Koshling:

Now this is the fifth (5th) NEW game i have started, i WANT barbarian Civ to work, but the options screen and the settings screen, does NOT say i have it working, but i know for a fact i UN-checked the NO barbarian Civs options??:mad:

On a side note could the "hidden" ones like "Arctic & City Parks", "Meteorology", "Expanded Castles", "Early Buildings", "Civic Buildings" and "Historical Wonders" be completely removed as a choice in BUG? Many of those don't even work if they are check off while other just will mess up stuff if they are. Better just to remove it and free up some processing so it don't have to check those things anymore.

With the latest SVN I can't get past turn1 or 2. It CTDs every time. I reset the divide by zero code back to an earlier version with no change to the CTD or the error message so my previous save is still CTDing.

With the latest SVN I can't get past turn1 or 2. It CTDs every time. I reset the divide by zero code back to an earlier version with no change to the CTD or the error message so my previous save is still CTDing.

Same for me, so at this moment I just use DLL from revision 825 and it works.

Also, Subdued Cobra can't move to forts or near them like if there is a hostile zone of control around them:

So I can't get it to city (Copperhill) because there is a fort nearby.

@DH & Sleeper: As of yesterday afternoon (I will check again later today when I get back to Civ) I was unable to reproduce any of the CTDs (once I fixed the black screen at game start issue), so its got to be an assets/options thing that differs between us. I think I am going to need you to ZIP and upload somewhere your ENTIRE C2C mod folder so I can be sure I'm runnign with exactly the same as you are (and the save game too so EVERYTHING is identical)...

@AIAndy - can you reproduce any of this?

@DH & Sleeper: As of yesterday afternoon (I will check again later today when I get back to Civ) I was unable to reproduce any of the CTDs (once I fixed the black screen at game start issue), so its got to be an assets/options thing that differs between us. I think I am going to need you to ZIP and upload somewhere your ENTIRE C2C mod folder so I can be sure I'm runnign with exactly the same as you are (and the save game too so EVERYTHING is identical)...

@AIAndy - can you reproduce any of this?
I'll give it a try but I won't get around to it before tomorrow as I am not at home this evening.

The only things in my c2c that differs from SVN are enabled Xtras/alt-timeline units (see this post), Extra Leaderheads (though LHs shouldn't be the problem since DH doesn't use them and has same CTDs) and some changed game options in xml related to new game start.

Link for assets diff (except leaderheads) / mirrors: 1 2 3 4 5

Attached savegame (just hit turn end).

<snip>

This is not a max compat save so I cannot load it. You need to load it youself, save it as max compat and then post that.

The one from post 478 loaded and ran ok for me, so either it has an issue fixed in the SVN, or it's intermittent in some way.

They are Both Max Compat Saves!

Since Max Compat was introduced I Do Not save in regular BtS format any more Only Max Compat. Did max Compat get broken in the 9-22 or 9-30 .dll changes for original v17 games? I still don't have SVN figured out. So my version is Original Non SVN v17 with those 2 .dll changes you pushed to the patches thread.

It's getting harder and harder to play v17 with these CTDs.

JosEPh :(

Edit: I did as you requested the save is Definitely saved as Max Comp.

The link to the Civ4CivicsInfos xml file is the file used on this game, so it it Different than what you have for the SVN version of the xml file.

The 2nd save i posted was the last Auto Save before the Non repeatable CTD occurred. I can't get a save before it happens because it catches me by surprise everytime. I suppose I should save every turn and have Auto save do the same?

They are Both Max Compat Saves! Since Max Compat was introduced I Do Not save in regular BtS format any more Only Max Compat. Did max Compat get broken in the 9-22 or 9-30 .dll changes for original v17 games? I still don't have SVN figured out. So my version is Original Non SVN v17 with those 2 .dll changes you pushed to the patches thread.

It's getting harder and harder to play v17 with these CTDs.

One was an autosave and it DEFINATELY was not max compat. Did you set the XML setting to force all saves to max compat format, not just the ones you do through the UI? If so is that setting still there or has it been overwritten somehow.

I can't upload a DLL to work as a patch since it now depends on new XML for all the stuff AIAndy added, so if you don't have SVN access and are hitting a lot of these CTDs on vanilla V17 I'm afraid you'll have to wait for V18.

I edited the above post, with a new Max Compat save of the 1st game.

And No I still do Not have SVN. :p So it sounds like I'm TOAST. :/

This bites.

Edit:
Did you set the XML setting to force all saves to max compat format, not just the ones you do through the UI? If so is that setting still there or has it been overwritten somehow.

Didn't know this was possible. And No I have not changed anything related to saves.
Where do I find this setting to make all autosaves Max Comp.?

In both of these files:
Code:
Modules\Alt_Timelines\MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml
Modules\Alt_Timelines\Dangers_Of_The_Deep\MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml
Modules\DancingHoskuld\MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml
Modules\DancingHoskuld\Xtras\MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml
Modules\DancingHoskuld\Xtras\Units\MLF_CIV4ModularLoadingControls.xml
change any to

That's something changed in r826 dll which causes CTD.

Enabling the extra units caused the crash to reproduce for me. Looking into it now.

Edit (@DH) - it's proving coy. Reproduced the first time and now won't! HOWEVER, I have found one definate issue (which may or may not be contributary to the crash but certainly needs fixing anyway). The subdued animals all have the wrong unitAI (all of the ones in the xtras but the newer ones like donkeys in the regular too) - they are set to UNITAI_ANIMAL, but should be UNITAI_ENGINEER. The net result of this error is that any animals the AI subdues just continue to wander around like normal animals and make random attacks instead heading to cities to build something useful. Explains a lot of what I've been seeing in recent test games where the AI hardly has any myth buildings etc.

Edit 2 - damnit, I totally cannot produce this again. However, since I have played 1600 turns of my own game without ever having this issue, and I got it fairly quickly the first time when I enabled all the alt units, I'd be fairly confidnt its an issue with one or more of them. The one crash I **did** get was not in the DLL code, but was in the main engine. That usually indicates a graphical asset issue of some sort.

Edit 3 @DH & Sleeper - since you two can reproduce this easily can you disable the extra/alt units in your assets and check that you STILL have the issue please. If you don't try to narrow it down by enabling some but not all.

Enabling the extra units caused the crash to reproduce for me. Looking into it now.

Edit (@DH) - it's proving coy. Reproduced the first time and now won't! HOWEVER, I have found one definite issue (which may or may not be contributory to the crash but certainly needs fixing anyway). The subdued animals all have the wrong unitAI (all of the ones in the extras but the newer ones like donkeys in the regular too) - they are set to UNITAI_ANIMAL, but should be UNITAI_ENGINEER. The net result of this error is that any animals the AI subdues just continue to wander around like normal animals and make random attacks instead heading to cities to build something useful. Explains a lot of what I've been seeing in recent test games where the AI hardly has any myth buildings etc.

HUH, i never even though of that, but a darn good point, on the SUBDUED side of the house:thumbsup:

Well I finally got the C2C to load with out an error message,however once again when I get to the point in a game where I should be able to access another leader to negotiate , the screen comes up but there is no dialog in the box.

Hoping someone here has had and solved this issue.

Buck

Edit 3 @DH & Sleeper - since you two can reproduce this easily can you disable the extra/alt units in your assets and check that you STILL have the issue please. If you don't try to narrow it down by enabling some but not all.

I'll try, though an one try takes 15 mins to load civ and save file on my box, lol.
Turned off Xtras and CTD still exist, digging down...

Some PythonErr.log while crashing
Spoiler :
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 998, in forceScreenRedraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 1435, in redraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 4942, in updateInfoPaneStrings

RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception
ERR: Python function forceScreenRedraw failed, module CvScreensInterface
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 982, in forceScreenUpdate

File "CvMainInterface", line 1385, in updateScreen

RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception
ERR: Python function forceScreenUpdate failed, module CvScreensInterface

I'll try, though an one try takes 15 mins to load civ and save file on my box, lol.
Turned off Xtras and CTD still exist, digging down...

That's very intersting. I have it pinned down to only happening when the xtras\units module is active (it's VERY consistent for me). I'm still narrowing though. Sounds like your results are not consistent with mine however, which sucks

That's very intersting. I have it pinned down to only happening when the xtras\units module is active (it's VERY consistent for me). I'm still narrowing though. Sounds like your results are not consistent with mine however, which sucks

I don't have the xtras\units turned on! However, the reason you are probably having problems is because I may not removed all the cassowary or may have removed too much.

I now have it (after removing some other things, so not relative to the SVN) consistently crashing/not crashing depending on whether I include killer rabbits or not. I can get the same toggling state with the killer rabbits out by toggling flightless birds, but without them it switches for me JUST on the killer rabbit, so I'm slowly (this is sooo tedious) modifyinh the killer rabbit XML to try to isolate the feature that is triggering the behaviour.

However, I'm almost timed out for today and weekedn time will be slim, so not sure when I will finish this process :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom