[BNW] Community Deity Game #30 - Songhai

...my judgement is it goes to the one who was the last to kill him
But of course!
At least if the AI city is within reach of a Fighter hovering the city show properly the list of air units and their hp.
Interesting! I have never noticed air unit HP indications. I will have to pay closer attention. Could LoS from a fighter be different than LoS from a melee unit? Do you use EUI?

Interesting! I have never noticed air unit HP indications.

It's an interesting thing which I never dived deep enough into - sometimes those were visible, sometimes not I just didn't care enough to find out the reason for that. Now they are visible if there's LoS to the city.

Could LoS from a fighter be different than LoS from a melee unit? Do you use EUI?

Yup, I have EUI and I upgraded it short while so I might've been using an outdated one for quite a while. Not a clue about the LoS by different units issue yet but I'll look into it unless Browd gives one his excellent explanations before that. It might also just be a bug fix along the way and it's now working as intended while being previously inconsistent. Either way I'm quite happy it functioning as it does.

Here are my save games from right before and right after the bug occurs. Maybe you'll be able to see something I'm not but I see no reason for the city connections to be broken.

Attachments

• Askia_0279 AD-1818A.Civ5Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 163
  • Askia_0280 AD-1820B.Civ5Save
    1.7 MB · Views: 154
Ok, thx. I'll check those later as I just got to finish my own game - the last turn weren't exactly fast to play. If it's a bug hopefully I can repeat it.

Hah, by curious coincident my game ended as well on T280.

Yup, happened to me as well - only two cities connected while the RR is intact so at first glance it seems like a bug.

MotG is an odd Pantheon especially when OwN amongst other things is still available. It's only useful when one is properly ICSing as carpet of cities 4 tiles apart. In this case the cities are too few & too far apart so the 2 bpt comes too late to be adequate use of investment.
Another thing is the location of Cologne - it's in very inconvenient place which could've been blocked by a single Scout given also Tondibi much better place by the river. Related to to this there's still tons of land unexplored which to me is just weird. so the question is whether this the norm and I'm the odd one out almost without exception (first Korea being one) opening with 3 Scouts and more than likely some more later especially on maps like this. Later few Caravels to find the trade routes if nothing else.

T280 Dom with 20 points.

Spoiler :

T37 2nd city by Uluru, T39 OwN pantheon, T59 religion, next faith on a Missionary to convert Kathmandu as requested and the 1st island city to get faith from GBR. T85 Liberty finished, T90 enhanced religion and after that faith went mainly buying Pagodas for 8 cities. T91 8C NC by a GE, T93 Oracle, T100 Theology, T108 Machinery, T115 French went Rennaissance and parked my 007 in Gao where he was more keen on Martinis than work - he killed 2 spies in the whole game. T117 GMoD which was a screw up as I was supposed to be building Borobudur. T120 Education and T135 Astronomy. Bought a Mandekalu for faster and safer scouting which got a ruin upgrade right away so clearing camps was easy and nice cash. After I saw the Skilldorado island I build a settler and founded a hopping city there. I should've done the same with the FoY island but I thought that too far to get in time but I was wrong about that. It would've been very handy in later wars.

DoWed Spain ~T120 just kill the Missionaries while slowly building an Army and getting some xp which was sparse due to deadly Conqistas and lack of Honor as I went for Piety. Meanwhile I actively organized wars between Carthage & the World which resulted a surprise DoF offer from Bismarck T150 after which I took Madrid T151 without denouncements.

I'll be updating the story part during the day.

Apparently during several days...

achis

1) 8 cities = 4pts
2) 2 2pts, Madrid & London. I had Prophets & Inquisitor heading towards Lisbon & Paris as well but didn't feel like waiting few extra turns for them to swim across the seas.
3) 3 = 6pts, Spain, Portugal & England between turns 260-270
4) 1+2 = 2 pts, Madrid & 2 other Spanish cities. Industrial just came too fast even though it was deliberately postponed.
5) 9 = 6pts, the easy one as the fpt was very healthy througout the game

Attachments

• t280 Gao.jpg
    t280 Gao.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 180
  • t280 Paris.jpg
    t280 Paris.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 139
  • t280 west.jpg
    t280 west.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 194
  • t280 order.jpg
    t280 order.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 201
  • t280 policies.jpg
    t280 policies.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 203
  • t280 demo.jpg
    t280 demo.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 203
  • t271 London.jpg
    t271 London.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 138
  • t260 Berlin.jpg
    t260 Berlin.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 172
  • t256 Carthage.jpg
    t256 Carthage.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 189
  • T151 Madrid.jpg
    T151 Madrid.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I captured Lisbon on same turn with Paris by XComs but what gave you the idea I used Mandekalu for that? Or was that just general speculation.

MotG is an odd Pantheon especially when OwN amongst other things is still available. It's only useful when one is properly ICSing as carpet of cities 4 tiles apart. In this case the cities are too few & too far apart so the 2 bpt comes too late to be adequate use of investment.
Another thing is the location of Cologne - it's in very inconvenient place which could've been blocked by a single Scout given also Tondibi much better place by the river. Related to to this there's still tons of land unexplored which to me is just weird. so the question is whether this the norm and I'm the odd one out almost without exception (first Korea being one) opening with 3 Scouts and more than likely some more later especially on maps like this. Later few Caravels to find the trade routes if nothing else.

I got an early Pantheon so figured I'd get the extra science early on, it did help. The NW were far away and I had planned on settling the two northern spots first to prevent the AI from forward settling me.

Germany built Cologne first so I had to build Tondibi further to the east. He settled it while I was trying to block Dido's settler from encroaching on me for like 2000 years.

I've never built 3 scouts; from what I've seen most people say 2 scouts and a monument first. I always have to put off Caravels; it always seems like there's something better to research. When do you research Astronomy? Its so far down the tech path.

Called it quits around turn 260. I had the science lead, but had tried to do a CV and wasn't very focused. Probably could have won anyway if I switched to science, but it would have taken forever. Napoleon and Dido had most of the wonders I would have needed to win cultural and I wasn't in position to go to war with both. Will give it another try with an actual gameplan.

I got an early Pantheon so figured I'd get the extra science early on, it did help.
I've never built 3 scouts; from what I've seen most people say 2 scouts and a monument first. I always have to put off Caravels; it always seems like there's something better to research. When do you research Astronomy? Its so far down the tech path.

One of the problems with MofG is that it doesn't do early anything unless building roads is the focus which it never is. Later the usual downside is the lack of fpt and then religious so it'll be hard to keep the pantheon when it's actually providing bpt.

In these days I more often build 3 Scouts and then Monument than not the 2nd option being 2 Scouts, Monument & Scout depending on the map, terrain, status of worker stealing process etc.
On this map I started with 3 and build 2 more after Monument and 2 out of those 5 got Archer upgrade from the ruins. There were quite a few ruins in the game especially when AI makes war it doesn't properly explore and the gazillion NWs were a much needed happiness boost.

Astronomy depends on the map type, cash situation, whether I need Rennaissance to open Rationalism and whether there's a chance for LToP. Here I went for it after I got XBs. While exploring being the 1st is what really pays off.

Last edited:
@Grendeldef I am hoping you will play (and annotate) the current gotm (since it is also Deity Songhai)!

I can't even keep up with these :(
I haven't started the proper Korea game nor the 2nd 8x1 series game and I assume the 3rd is just around the corner nevermind doing the write-ups of the games I've finished. The world needs to stand still for a while so I can catch up, damn it.

Circling back to this after a bit...
Yup, I have EUI and I upgraded it short while so I might've been using an outdated one for quite a while. Not a clue about the LoS by different units issue yet but I'll look into it unless @Browd gives one his excellent explanations before that. It might also just be a bug fix along the way and it's now working as intended while being previously inconsistent. Either way I'm quite happy it functioning as it does.
I have still not tried EUI, as the screen shots just look too busy for my tastes, but I think this an example of information EUI gives that the the default UI does not. I can only see what are the air units by clicking (mouse-over has no effect) and I never get indications of how wounded air units are.

That said, I cannot think of too many situations where that extra bit of information would effect my game play. The AI pattern with air units is pretty consistent: use them up until they die.

I started using EUI long ago and can't remember for which particular reason and the current version is too candy for my likings but if it offers information that the player shouldn't have I'll skip it. So far I've been under the impression that this was not the case unlike with InfoAddict for example. To be specific I don't know if the air unit hp is something we should have but least I couldn't see air unit in the midst of FoW in unexplored areas anymore.

//typo

Last edited:
Playing this map makes me feel like the AI's Shaka... so many cities, so much war.

Turn 362 SV. Lite map

3rd time playing. Went back to try and get the cultural win I wanted last time, but even 5 great musicians touring France at the end couldn't sway them, and Germany launched before I could get influential.

Started over with domination in mind. 6 cities before NC which I used the liberty finisher on to finish turn 78. Took workers from Bismarck and William and went mining first. Chopped forest to rush an early settler to Uluru before the free one, which went down to KSM. Other 3 went to the coast by GBR, SW of the capital near the crabs and NE near the incense. Built 4 more cities after, 1 by the silver near KSM, 1 by the silk on the island south of it, 1 on the island on the other side of GBR to get that tile, and the last byEl Dorado, but that was much later.

Germany attacked me early, but the mountain passes provided good cover and i Held them off pretty easy and they sued for peace. I was building up to go back at them when Dido asked me if I wanted to fight them with her. She had already eliminated William, so sure, why not. Took Munich and Hamburg before moving to Berlin, when Dido backstabbed me and tried to come in from behind. Luckily, the UU moves pretty fast so I got back in time to defend.

Finished off Berlin and made peace. Hit artillery around 185 and took Amsterdam after reviving William. Moved into Carthage and took that before peacing out. Could have gone for Madrid, but Isabella was friendly all game and also went autocracy, plus I was getting about 60 gpt from her in various deals, so I left her alone.

Went across the ocean to Maria first as her cities were closest, but it turns out those were just settlements on an island SW of Paris, so after taking those I made peace as I would have to start with France. I had just got the 3rd level autocracy policy giving the military bonus for 50 turns, and had tanks with upgraded rocket artillery and fighter/bomber backup, so got overconfident. Took 2 coastal cities pretty easily, but ended up having a hard time with Paris. I had annexed 1 city to be able to buy extra units, but it still took a good 30 turns to grab Paris and Lyon (which had Petra land leaning tower).

Maria was at war with Elizabeth and Lisbon looked defenseless so i moved in. My happiness had tanked and was around -26 due to cultural pressure. Not sure how to combat that. I had more than 25 wonders from the various capitals and Frances 2 best cities but he was still getting over 450 tourism per turn. I bought happiness buildings everywhere, and had mosques and pagados in every city, so managed to get it down below panic levels, but still had to deal with random barbarian uprisings.

Maria had smartly used the time I was in France to build up, so Lisbon proved a real challenge. She had passed me in techs and had a stronger military, so i couldn't advance far. I was about 3 turns from taking Lisbon when the first nuke hit. No nukes was pending in Congress but hadn't been voted on yet, so Lyon, along with the bulk of my airpower disappeared. With only 1 mobile Sam and no fighters, the artillery were vulnerable to bombers, so I made peace and backed off.

I probably could have taken it, but wouldn't have been able to get to London with what I had left. I had a good navy, but London was not in a great spot to take it that way and England always has a massive fleet. Isabella and Maria had already launched a part each, and England, France and Germany all had Apollo, So i switched to science to not end up wasting 700 turns losing this map twice in a row.

I hadn't finished rationalism yet, so popped that to grab a tech and then faith bought 4 more scientists to grab the tech lead back. Gao, berlin and the City by KSM built 2 each and I won the race.

Not sure of total points. England's religion dominated, I think they had 68 or so cities. I had most of my continent, Spain had the rest, but English missionaries we're everywhere and I needed to save the faith in case I had to rush buy scientists which I ended up doing.

Great map, so many options. Hopefully my 1st deity CV happens eventually. Will go back and try some older ones unless a new one gets posted.

Top Bottom