Community Patch - How To Install

Community Patch is a really great mod combinig dll files of a few good mods, which allows to play them all together :)

I must admit, that OP is not precise and many people can get confused not knowing what this mod does and how to use it's features - maybe you should re-write OP to make it clear?

As I understand it combines City States Diplomacy mod dll with Civ IV Diplomatic Options Mod dll and Smart AI Mod dll and many, many dll tweaks from Whowards Variuos mod components Mod.

All of this dll functions can be enabled by installing Whoward's "enablers" - minimods available to download from his Pick'n'Mix website.

Community Balance Patch is an additional mod for Community Patch with tech-tree reworked, some new buildings added and some tweaks to balance game with this new tech-tree and buildings.

So - if I wat to play with vanilla BTS tech tree with just smarter AI and diplomatic features from Civ IV I should download and unzip to MODS folder only Community Patch Mod, Civ IV Diplomatic Options Mod, remove dll file form Civ IV Diplo Mod and install two Whoward's "enablers" - an AI Smart Mod and "Diplomacy - Civ IV features mod.

I don't have to downolad Smart AI Mod, because it's included in the CP, but needs enabling with Whoward's AI Smart mod.

I have to download Civ IV Diplo Features mod (and delete it's dll file), because CP contains only dll part of this mod, but the not-dll code is still needed.

To enable Civ IV Diplo Features I have to install Whoward's "enabler": Diplomacy - Civ IV Features to activate the dll code in CP.

Am I right?

One more question - I see, that Smart AI is included, just needs enabling with Whoward's AI Smart Mod.

What about AI Unintelligence Mod?

I see there are its files in CP, but I would like to know if AI Unintelligence mod dll features are included in CP's dll or it contains only the non-dll AI Unintelligence Lite version?

If there are dll features of full version of AI Unintelligence Mod - is it enabled by default or I need to download some "enabler"?

Last, but not least ;-)

I've noticed a bug with enabled "Global - Raze Major Capitals"

There's a Crash To Desktop when AI captures other AI's Capital City, and this Capital was the last city of defeated AI...

You are correct on your first point, though you should just download the civ 4 diplomacy features I have posted in the first post of this thread. Smart AI (sigh) is already included, and only a few of the xml changes from artificial unintelligence are included. There are no dll inclusions from that mod.

Regarding the crash, I wouldn't use that mod part anyways - too many features are dependent on original capitals!

In the future, please report bugs to the bug report thread.

Thanks,
G

"though you should just download the civ 4 diplomacy features I have posted in the first post of this thread"

When I did that way there was a bug with all diplo options available at the very start of game (i.e. list of all technologies, even not dicovered yet) - and the options wern't working.

After enabling Whoward's "Diplomacy - Civ IV Features" it works perfectly.

I didn't try with the v.66.6 yet. If the problem persists - I'll report this bug in proper thread.

About AI Unintelligence - I understand, that there are just a few dll changes from it - but what about non-dll parts of this mod?

Are they included or I should install the "AI Unintelligence Lite" (no dll) to have them working?

One more question - is there any chance you will make 34, 43 and 62-civs dll file for CP as did Whoward for his "Various Mod Components"?

So far CP seems to be fully compatible with Gedemon's Yet Not Another Earth Map Pack mod - and I'd just love to play with more civs!

"though you should just download the civ 4 diplomacy features I have posted in the first post of this thread"

When I did that way there was a bug with all diplo options available at the very start of game (i.e. list of all technologies, even not dicovered yet) - and the options wern't working.

After enabling Whoward's "Diplomacy - Civ IV Features" it works perfectly.

I didn't try with the v.66.6 yet. If the problem persists - I'll report this bug in proper thread.

About AI Unintelligence - I understand, that there are just a few dll changes from it - but what about non-dll parts of this mod?

Are they included or I should install the "AI Unintelligence Lite" (no dll) to have them working?

One more question - is there any chance you will make 34, 43 and 62-civs dll file for CP as did Whoward for his "Various Mod Components"?

So far CP seems to be fully compatible with Gedemon's Yet Not Another Earth Map Pack mod - and I'd just love to play with more civs!

If using just the CP, you do need the Civ IV DF enabler, yes. Forgot to mention that. That isn't a bug.

I'm not planning on releasing any extended-civ versions until we reach a more stable build (i.e. in the future, probably). You don't need the AI unintelligence lite stuff. Besides, I'm not terribly impressed by the changes made in AI unintelligence thus far – many of the xml changes have adverse effects (I've removed around 90% of the changes from the CP). The same goes for 'Smart AI' - people tend to get hooked on these 'cure all' mods, but they never live up to what they claim. :)

G

If Whoward city bombard range mod is now included, I guess you can remove it from the list of mods in the OP ?

@Gazebo

As I mentioned before - I use only Community Patch, without CBP (because of incompatibility with JFD's Cultural Dicersity Mod).

I noticed, that in v. 66.7 I dont need to enable Civ IV Diplo Features with Whoward's (which I had to do in previous version) mini-mod, it works perfectly by defult.

Is Smart AI in 66.7 enabled by default too?

You enabled Global - City Bombard Range by default in CBP v. 12.9 - could you enable it by default in CP for people playing only CP?

@Gazebo

As I mentioned before - I use only Community Patch, without CBP (because of incompatibility with JFD's Cultural Dicersity Mod).

I noticed, that in v. 66.7 I dont need to enable Civ IV Diplo Features with Whoward's (which I had to do in previous version) mini-mod, it works perfectly by defult.

Is Smart AI in 66.7 enabled by default too?

You enabled Global - City Bombard Range by default in CBP v. 12.9 - could you enable it by default in CP for people playing only CP?

Sigh...Smart AI is enabled by default, yes (I'm so confused by people's love for the Smart AI).

I'm not going to enable Global - City Bombard Range by default in the CP, as the CP is not intended to change gameplay (just AI and bugfixes).

G

Hi, Gazebo.
I want to translate your brilliant MODs for my friends.
But, these translated files will become obsolete soon.
So, may I upload your "original files" together with translated files?
If not so, would you please upload older versions?

Hey Gazebo, why that hate on my work on Smart AI? Being the pioneer that first got into the tactical/operational AI, even if all the features were not fully functional and fully tested, I really did my best to get a better AI, and at least the patch was fully stable with last year fall patch. I really did my best, all on my own.

The hype created on the mod is just normal, improvements on AI were largely demanded and Smart AI was the first mod that addressed some of them.

Really nice work here! Congratulations to everyone! There's a complete change log? (a full history) I can't find it anywhere.

Hey Gazebo, why that hate on my work on Smart AI? Being the pioneer that first got into the tactical/operational AI, even if all the features were not fully functional and fully tested, I really did my best to get a better AI, and at least the patch was fully stable with last year fall patch. I really did my best, all on my own.

The hype created on the mod is just normal, improvements on AI were largely demanded and Smart AI was the first mod that addressed some of them.

Really nice work here! Congratulations to everyone! There's a complete change log? (a full history) I can't find it anywhere.

I guess it's a bit hidden here.. LINK

I don't hate Smart AI - far from it. You definitely pioneered some changes to the AI that were worthwhile, and are still a big part of the changes the combined dll makes to the AI. Whoward and I did get a bit grumpy towards it when we were adding it to the combined dll, as whoward had to do quite a bit of work with it to get it to play nicely with the combined dll, and I've had a few issues with elements of the code that didn't exactly work as intended. Overall, though, it was a great addition.

My response of 'I'm so confused by people's love for the Smart AI' is a commentary on the fact that I answer that question (is the Smart AI included?) almost once a day, not your work itself. :)

Edit: Also, for the record, you are absolutely welcome to join the CBP code team and help us to continue to improve the AI.
G

Well, then my apologies for my misunderstandement. No problem at all, sorry if I've been a bit rude coming after a long time with such complaints.

I've have some talent interpreting other people's code, as part of my job was to make third party code work again many times with little to no clue of what was happening and undocumented architecture/code.

The dark side is that I'm not that used to work with unmanaged code, sometimes is a bit foggy to me and I sure make suboptimal code. I'll read some C++ documentation beforehand, also seek for advice for specific coding.

Well, then my apologies for my misunderstandement. No problem at all, sorry if I've been a bit rude coming after a long time with such complaints.

I've have some talent interpreting other people's code, as part of my job was to make third party code work again many times with little to no clue of what was happening and undocumented architecture/code.

The dark side is that I'm not that used to work with unmanaged code, sometimes is a bit foggy to me and I sure make suboptimal code. I'll read some C++ documentation beforehand, also seek for advice for specific coding.

No worries! Hopefully the way we've worked out our preprocessing methods in the CP will make it easier for those of us writing code to collaborate and debug each other's work. Trust me, I've made my fair share of goofy code mistakes

G

Gazebo, I would be grateful if you could respond to my post (#169).

What do you mean with "But, these translated files will become obsolete soon." Do you mean they will become obsolete because of an upcoming update? If so you do not have to worry about. This is how I did it with my translation of City States Diplomacy Mod and how easily I could adapt possible changes by a new update:

1. Make a folder for the Community Balance Patch and Community Patch.
  2. Open Notepad++. Google it and install the mighty program! Click Search, Find in Files. Find what: "<Language_en_US>". Directory: "Your Path to the CBP". Filters: "*.xml". Hit find All.
  3. Copy all xml files to the created folder which contain language strings.
  4. Repeat Step 2, but this time with Find what: "UPDATE Language_en_US" and Filters:"*.sql" in the same folder, hit Find All again. Follow Step 3 afterwards for the sql files.
  5. Repeat Step 2 to 4 for the CP folder!

I hope you only added your language strings below the original ones, so it should look like this. If not, take the original files and add your text strings to the files, you will need this for the following procedure:
Code:
<Language_en_US>
original content
</Language_en_US>
<Language_fr_FR>
for example you added the french language 
</Language_fr_FR>

So you have now two folders which contain the xml and sql files with your added language string. What to do if an update arise?

Compare the new updated files with your files:
Simply download the new update and unzip it. You have to compare now the new file with your file. Because you created once two folders which contain only your translated work it becomes a bit easier. For example:
  1. You open your folder for the CP from Step 1 to 5.
  2. You go into the first folder and you see for example the "NewArtists.xml".
  3. Open it in Notepad++
  4. Open the same file from the new arrived Patch in Notepad++ (You should now have them next to each other: NewArtists.xml NewArtists.xml)
  5. Sort them: your translated file on the left side, the new file on the right side
  6. Add your language string from your translated file to the new file at the bottom, so it should now looks similar.
  7. Click on Plugins, if there is no menu called compare, hit "Plugin Manager" and "Show Plugin Manager". In the Available Tab check the Compare Plugin and hit install.
  8. Next go to Plugins -> Compare -> Compare. What it basically does is the following: The active file will be compared with the file next to the right. So when you had your translated file on the left side, you will see what has been changed on the right side (the new update)
  9. Sometimes you will get the message "Files matches". Then you are fine. If there are some changes you can see them immediately and you simply have to change your translation in the new file. For example the description has been changed or some figures has been altered.
  10. Save the new file afterwards and copy the new file to your translation folder, so you have them up-to-date.
  11. Repeat this for all files of the update: Translated file on the left, new file on the right.. Read the changelog, then you will know where to look at, or just compare all files.
After this you will have an updated translation folder and you are ready for new arriving updates.

Thank you, Estebanium.
Yes, I'm talking about upcoming updates.
I translated some MODs including CSD, Civ IV Diplomatic Features and Health & Plague.
But, I check updates nearly once a month.
So, my friends might not be able to use translated files.
I think that if there were older versions, they could enjoy this MOD in our language.

Gazebo,

I think Event and Decisions Mod is a good compatible mod as well as Thal's Communitas Map.

I wonder if you want to add them into your list of Suggestions and recommended mods

Top Bottom