Competing vs Darius I (Immortal WT)

Your tech slider is at 20%, so going to war now will be a disaster. I suggest build some workers improve all the land you have, get courthouses, go for military techs, try to be the first to Infantry and then declare.

Why not build beakers? Don't know if you have monasteries in your capital.

as I always say, kill your biggest rival before they can too far out of reach. Time to mobilize the army and take out poor pathetic Darius.

Improving cows so late and unimproved gems is too hard for me to understand :)

Yes, if this was a person asking for tips on how to beat Warlord, I would probably offer some elementary advice on improving terrain. Instead, I will just stare with my mouth wide open, as my chin scrapes the floor.

Improving cows so late and unimproved gems is too hard for me to understand :)

in the 740 AD city view screenshot, axemen are on the "what you can build" list but swordsmen aren't. i guess he didn't know ironworking, so he couldn't chop the jungle to mine the gems?

in the 740 AD city view screenshot, axemen are on the "what you can build" list but swordsmen aren't. i guess he didn't know ironworking, so he couldn't chop the jungle to mine the gems?

That makes sense, also looking at the farmed Spices and untouched Silk I would speculate that Calendar hasn't been obtained yet either. Highly unorthodox imho, but it works for Obsolete, and I have found his games highly educational as well as entertaining, so I wouldn't suggest his priorities are wrong.

But why o why o why did you improve the cows so late?

For the same reason I didn’t improve the corn for so long in the Ghandi game. That’s a sucker-bet that monarch players will always fall for. It’s just not worth it because the tech for that ruins your speedy chances for so much more important things.

i would have taken the risk with memphis's placement, but hey, i guess you had your reasons.

I really wished I could have moved 1 more tile over. Unfortunately the areas were ablaze with animals. I know because my units just got raped in that vicinity. Unfortunately, the forests slow down your settlers, so you can’t even use them to SCOUT and run back to safety if they need. I just couldn’t risk my precious settler on his own.

Above Alexandria...is that an unimproved gems?

Yes, which is part of the reason I went there.

Whats the military situation and have you finished this game already?

Do you mean MY military? I’m pretty sure we’d show up as the weakest on the power-graph by far at this point. (Well, maybe not). Anyhow, yes it’s finished I’ll post Part II shortly.

i guess he didn't know ironworking, so he couldn't chop the jungle to mine the gems?

That would be right.

PART II

Alright, time to rebound.. regroup, and come up with a plan. We need to do some catching up here, and that will consist of…

…of us just continuing what we were doing (for now).

Even more bad luck. Yet ANOTHER great artist arrives. What???? And I’m running a ton of Gpriest-producing wonders including a ton of great priests, and yet I am STILL getting artists!
-ni

Finally, a Gpriest pops!
-ni

Great Scientist pops
-ni

Great Engineer pops.
Yeah, in case you didn’t figure it out yet, we are running Pacifism.
-ni

We now hold 5 Million souls. In the meantime, we’ve done a few tech trading deals with Pacal in order to try to keep up with tech-master Darius.
-ni

Isabella and the Ottoman empire meet us. Great, now even more AI’s we can tech broker with to catch up with Darius.
-ni

Brenus and Monte both meet us too now. I’m not happy with the likes of those. Good thing they are off on another continent right now. And they are fighting as usual…
-ni

Another Gpriest pops. They are coming slower now, but that’s mainly because I turned off Pacifism. Both Darius and Pacal swapped to free religion, so I decided to follow suit. I don’t need any aggressive leaders under Hinduism start a religious war against me at this point. No need to risk it at the moment.

Besides, FR means we’ll be able to tech-trade more with the others.
-ni

We now hold 10 Million Souls.

Ohh, and one more thing! We now have circumnavigated the globe. That gives us +1 movement per ship. That was a little easy, IIRC I made a small ship and headed it out to the other world as soon as I could, so I could find some tech trading buddies sooner. And thanks to trading maps before hand, my route to connect the world was even quicker as I only had to travel a short distance.
-ni

Spoiler :

Yup, everyone on the other end belongs to a vassal group, and is fighting with somebody else.

Noooo! We were so close to completing BroadWay, but then Darius beat us to it! Something is wrong. I was looking at his position in the tech race, and he simply built it too fast. Even though we were behind him, we have a power-production house. It would seem that Darius probably had a GE to rush things, or did he stockpile tons of cash and gold-rush it? I wasn’t looking too close at ALL his stats to know for sure, but his builds seem much too fast, even with an immortal bonus?
-ni

ANOTHER great artist arrives!
What the hell is going on? The bad luck streak never ends or what?

Note, I COULD use him to bulb for radio. Which, Ironically I am teching across now, with 7 turns left. Hmm. Just the thing to do, but instead I decided to keep him, yes, keep him (now 3 artists) in reserve. I was thinking the first I can use to found Civ-Jewlers corp, and then the other to start a golden age, and then the 3’rd to couple with another GP to start a second golden age.

Thinking now in hindsight, it’s a tuff call but I probably should have bulbed (Gasp!). Yes, this is one of those 1 in a thousand chances where it’s actually not too bad to bulb here. There are a lot of reasons that pile ontop of each other, starting from the fact that it’s a Great Artist, so you’re not losing anything much by bulbing one of them here, as I may still get another artist later and not know what to do with. I already got 3 at this point. And since Darius is out-pacing us still, we could catch up a little. Bulbing here may prevent us from losing another very close wonder race.
-ni

If you can’t beat them, join em. We sign a defensive pact with Darius. I want my power rating to improve a bit from the perspective of the aggressives. But I do risk getting drawn into a war if one of them attacks Darius.
-ni

Alright, I forgot to mention some things…
We started on the RocknRoll, and Darius seems to have GE or gold-rushed that wonder and beat us. Then he did the same with the ET!

Arggh! How many GE’s does this guy keep in reserve? Or is something else gone awry.
Whatever the case, we are NOT going to lose the race for the Cristo Oil! Here we are ready for completion…

Spoiler :

Another GP arrives.

Notes: We tech brokered around, and picked up Steel as one of them. This is important to me because it lets me put up IW in my capital.
-ni

And here we are, Hollywood. Ready for completion, but it gets better. We also just built the civilized jewlers corp. this turn too. (See, artists do have a use for SOMETHING!)

Note: I wasn’t sure where to start this HQ. Because I am still not sure where I am going to build the national bank thingy! So, instead of waiting around, and risking someone else to grab the jewlers, I decided to just spawn it in my capital.

Spoiler :

Just an update… Even happy-tech-trading Darius now wont trade techs with us anymore. He’s still friendly, but because of all our brokering, we’ve finally crossed the gap and caught up quite a bit.
-ni

We now hold 20 Million Souls.
-ni

Another GP arrives.
-ni

And yet another GP arrives, this time from our secondary GP farm (Heliopolis).
-ni

Un Elections are held. Looks like Ottoman GE rushed the UN? Can anyone think of any worse of an idea to use for a GE? I’m so LMFAO. The guy who built it, was guaranteed a vote on the list anyhow. LOLz. Well this is how you can beat AI’s on Immortal, because they are just so STUPID!

Note: The weird thing is, I’m only listed in the middle of the world-ranking. Yet I am one of the candidates for electing. Weird.
-ni

The votes are in, and I won? Here’s how they all tallied up.

GP Pops.

Note: Researching computers(for the internet), it’s a close race, with me and Darius on the same tech now, luckily he was off gathering a bunch of other techs and left this one for a while.

I decided to get ready for the HooverDamn in my sister city. It’s the only one that is on a river tile, but first I put in a pollution free generator to help it along.
-ni

Great Scientist pops from my Sister City. Instead of absorbing him, I’ll keep him into reserve for either building another corporation, or combining it with a GA for a secondary golden age.
-ni

Yahoo! Internet is ready for completion at the end of this turn! Assuming Darius doesn’t beat us to it first! He did slide a turn ahead of us in the tech race, but I currently ran a bunch of spies up to his largest cities and am spawning unhappiness and poisoned water in them, just to slow down any builds. All those turns of throwing spy points (focusing most of them on Darius) is going to pay off here.

Also I have a second backup, and that is a golden age was started. I did this to increase the hammer production as much as possible, to shave off a turn here. I also was able to shave off another turn with certain civic switches, and having copper sure saves us even more.

In hindsight, I have 4 golden age turns in reserve, what I should have done was started earlier, which could have let me possibly get to computers on the same turn as Darius. But alas, I think this is good enough to ensure us victory of my favourite project.

And ontop of that, we have another 24 base hammers from the SSE to back us up here.

Spoiler :

I took the great scientist and used him to build the headquarter corporation of ethanol into my city far to the east where it is currently building the Wallstreet.

But there is something else interesting. This is the same turn that I build the Hoover Damn in my sister city.

Notes: As you can see, I also decided to build the national park in this city too, due to the forests still around it. This means my original plan for the northern city to be my NP city was scrapped. Oh well, time to chop away all the forests and trees in the north I had been stockpiling there.

And the golden-age still burns…

Spoiler :

Another GP pops from the capital.
-ni

Hi-ho..hi-ho.. and off to sabotage we go.
Poor Darius is gong to have a very bad day today.

Eeeeeeee!!
It happened, we are at war.

Somehow, it happened. I don’t’ know how… but I am told that Darius just attacked us…. No, we attacked him… no, no… let’s see.

Ok, he attacked Pacal, and unfortunately for him, there was a defensive pact among all of us, so now I was forced to declare war back on him for Pacal’s sake! Argggh! Stupid.. stupid… stupid AI!

And all this time I thought he was some peaceful guy, wtf just happened?

Anyhow, as for the other continent… The Ottoman empire ended up vassaling everyone (I bribed him into one too many wars and that ended up happening). But now, let’s bribe him one more time, to get many birds with one stone. So… this causes::

Spoiler :

And this… is what our first turn looks like after the initial attack. Darius parachuted units all over, and ran into our territory while stockpiling tons of bombers in range. I suppose he maybe knew what he was doing when he declared war on Pacal in the first place, but who knows.

But alas, I was prepared, for the northern city. For a while I had been running mechanized infantry (my most favourite of all defenders!) into my northern city. It was protected very well because of 2 reasons.

#1 I was debating on invading Pacal, so began to crank out units with my HE city.
#2 I had to stock my units somewhere, so I decided to mostly put them in that northern city, as it not only is a border city, but also borders BOTH my two opponents.

It was a smart move, as I raped Darius the turn he declared when he attacked it. Of course, it’s not a big city anyhow, so it was no big loss to us if we did lose it. But hell, I don’t mind holding onto it as a great little outpost either. It served us well in this spot.

So.. what do we do now? Nation-hood so we can draft the hell out of everything and counter attack. Oh wait, weren’t we supposed to be in nation-hood already for the spy bonus? Well, switch civics again anyway for the other military ones!

Notes: In case you didn’t spot it, we’ve had science spending set on 0 ever since we started the internet project. The only sliders I’m going to use from now on are the spy and culture ones.

All this fighting, and we gain a GG. Not surprising, as we are DESTROYING Darius’s attacks. He’s just doing them so poorly. We were outnumbered more than 10 to 1, but we are rapidly closing the gap as he’s just getting destroyed with his blundering units, while we produce/draft our own. Tactically, he’s just full of big dumb attacks. Attacking entrenched units, then leaving others out in the open for easy counters are a couple idiotic moves by him.
-ni

And another GG arrives too! The event indicator notifies us that Darius has now switched to Police State. Maybe he should have thought about that BEFORE attacking? So… stupid.
-ni

And speaking of dumb military mistakes. Darius again just can’t understand something… His city here was in range from my others with tanks and mechanized infantry. Yet he left it under-defended, while storing a gazillion aircraft.

Well… I use a spy to drop his defenses, and then ZOOM, in rush my fast moving units. And for super-cheap, not only do I take a city from Darius, but I just dealt his airforce a crushening blow.

So now, my plan is to continue taking advantage of his blunders, and try to take Darius piece by piece as we close the military gap.

And we capture the city to the east of that one the same way. Though with a little help from our workers. You see, we were going to take it a little bit (light), so to make the numbers more in my favour, we used a couple workers to LURE out his defenders. This allowed us to run into his city cheaply & safely. And then we pounced on his silly defending units while they were out in the open.

Stupid.. stupid.. stupid!

That’s not bad, swapping workers for your enemy’s entrenched defenders. But another thing that sucks for Darius, is we’re off sabotaging more space ship parts. And now, the donkey that he is, will end up trying to rebuild them, when he SHOULD BE cranking out military units instead! LOL.
-ni

Ok this is weird. I am tasked to spread Sushi to 7 new cities. I don’t know what I will get but I’m not even going to bother. I don’t own the sushi, so what is the point in doing my opponent’s a favour? Or is that a mistake and I should try to do this quest at all costs? I’m not familiar with them, so I decided to just ignore this one.
-ni

We captured yet another stronghold, this time in deeper territory. Remember, the AI likes to now whip-draft big stacks of defenders in cities. So use all your bags of tricks. We moved our stacks closer to one city to make Darius pull his troops in the wrong city. Then we shoot off to the weaker city and take it. By the time the AI knows it made a mistake, it’s too late for it.
-ni

Whoops, I forgot to look inside that stronghold from 43, let’s peek in now shall we?

Ahh yes, what a nice catch! I wasn’t paying as much details to the cities as I should have been! We get all the nice buildings as a good sized city would bring, but along with…

The Kong Miao +22g
The Kremlin
Rock N Roll (This one should have been mine to begin with!)
Mining Inc +4g

Oh yes, and did I forget to mention, due to an event our super-markets bring +1F?

Spoiler :

Top Bottom