Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Ok, I've received my computer back. Worked fine for a while until I receive some problems.

Sometimes the screen goes black and then comes back telling me that my ATI driver had stopped responding and has recovered.

Sometimes the screen stays black and gives me a god awful looping sound as if the video card failed

Other times it gives me a BSOD error with a 0x116 code relating to atikmag.sys

Some days, there are no issues while others, I get plagued with these errors out from the ball park. Any ideas for a solution since I am contemplating on getting new video drivers for this thing before I ship it back to Best Buy (Again. And why I am sending it there is due because I have a warranty on it and bought it from them).

(To be honest, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of returning back to Nivida)

Well maybe I was wrong about my own situation :lol: I have to move it when I go to UNI on the train and I can't transport it on the train when I come home for christmas/easter.

I looked at my computer's properties. Is it normal for my installed memory to read "8 GB (3.96 GB useable)"?

(And yes, I am running a 64bit OS)

Well maybe I was wrong about my own situation :lol: I have to move it when I go to UNI on the train and I can't transport it on the train when I come home for christmas/easter.

How about the X-Cube? Shoebox sized, packs up to a i7-2600k and 2xGTX580s or 2xRadeon6970s. You can also get up to either 6x3.5" or 12x2.5" (hypothetically you could have 2.88TB w/ 3.33GB/s reads)

I accidentally encrypted a PDF (hit the wrong checkbox as I'm stupid). I googled how to remove the encryption but I got all sorts of shady-looking payware. Is there a free solution or should I just recompile it (which would take some amount of time)?

I looked at my computer's properties. Is it normal for my installed memory to read "8 GB (3.96 GB useable)"?

(And yes, I am running a 64bit OS)

No, something is wrong.

I accidentally encrypted a PDF (hit the wrong checkbox as I'm stupid). I googled how to remove the encryption but I got all sorts of shady-looking payware. Is there a free solution or should I just recompile it (which would take some amount of time)?

Remake it.

Just out of curiosity, which company for computer processors is the best?

I can think of AMD and Intel off the top of my head, not sure if there are any more. I'm relatively certain that AMD is cheaper, though...

Just out of curiosity, which company for computer processors is the best?

I can think of AMD and Intel off the top of my head, not sure if there are any more. I'm relatively certain that AMD is cheaper, though...
Depends on the budget and the use

My friend is unable to access the Web on his computer (Windows 7 64-bit).

He can access the Internet: Avast anti-virus updates; ping and tracert shows connections are being made.

But neither Firefox 5 nor Internet Explorer 8 are able to bring up a web page. They try to load some very normal pages(Google, MSN, Baidu) but they're so slow it never loads.

Any ideas?

My best guess is a proxy involved somewhere. I've turned proxies off for both Firefox and Internet Explorer.... is there some other low-level mechanism in Windows 7 that would set up proxies for both Firefox and IE?

The information on this page might be pertinent:

This is what worked for me-
Download Norton Removal Tool and run it then reboot
It's kind of funny that this worked because my sister told me she had never installed norton and her machine came preinstalled with mcafee but yet it removed something that caused it to work.

Things that might work for other people-
1.) Flush DNS
go to CMD and type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes) and reboot

2.) If you use IE open IE and go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings and make sure all 3 boxes are unchecked but in some cases I've read that people have solved their problem by checking the "Automatically Detect Settings" box and leaving the other two unchecked. Restart IE after changing any settings.
2A.) If your using firefox then go to Tools>Options>Advanced>Network>Settings and make sure that "No Proxy" is checked or "Use System Proxy Settings" is checked.

3.) Download winsockfix and run it then reboot. (I did this right before I used the norton removal tool, I don't know if it helped or not really but I doubt it because I tried it before and it didn't work)

4.) Turn off your firewall or add the browser you are using to connect to the internet to the exceptions list.

Source: http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/microsoft-windows/windows-software/threads/303371

The use would be for gaming, I don't actually know how to explain more than that...

And as for budget, I'm interested in which one gives you more bang for your buck.

Depends on how much you have to spend, if you plan on gaming on the cheap like around $450 (post tax) you can build a decent AMD APU system with 4GB RAM @2000MHz (CAS 9)

Is there a free way to rotate an upside down PDF?

Rotate your display with your NVIDIA/ATI/Intel control panel. Can't think of another way off the top of my head.

Thats kind of awkward to do, lol. I mean modifying the PDF itself.

Question: Is it just me, or is Facebook taking over the entire world? I just got really disgusted because I saw a Facebook URL on a freakin' milk carton.

Thats kind of awkward to do, lol. I mean modifying the PDF itself.

Question: Is it just me, or is Facebook taking over the entire world? I just got really disgusted because I saw a Facebook URL on a freakin' milk carton.
No comment about twitter? :mischief:

Top Bottom