1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

I don't know if it goes for all Windows 7 computers, but most computers with Windows 7 have a Graphics Options when you right click, there's a screen rotation thing there.

If your not using Windows 7, then...

And don't PDF's have a way of flipping themselves over?

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Well at least Twitter isn't on milk cartons.

I don't want to rotate the screen, I want to rotate the PDF. I know how to do it in the viewer, but how do I do it to the file without recompiling it.

3. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

My CPU fan broke, its probably because its dirty, I'll clean it in the morning, but if it doesn't work, what fan should I get.

4. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I always thought these looked really cool.

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I'm thinking of building my own computer repair box. These are the materials I have in mind:

1 Ammo can (10" x 3.5" x 6.5")
    1 Anti-static armband
    1 a tool that can screw and unscrew screws found on a desktop, preferably one that's a multi tool/Swiss army format

Any other items I would need?

6. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

Vacuum cleaner as I found out today. I managed to fix my computer, one fan was clogged with dust so i vacuumed it, the other small one on the graphics card, he fell off, but I managed to put him in place (a magnetic fan, so it was easy).

7. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

I need software that can generate some line graphs, preferably with two y-axis scales, where I can just paste in data. Looking for freeware for Vista. OpenOffice Calc just doesn't cut it.

Any recommendations?

:please:

8. aimeeandbeatles

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by two y-axis, but I've had luck making graphs with this program. Though it exports as, I think, SVG and TIF so you'd need something to change that if you're gonna upload it. Or take a screenshot.

9. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Be sure that none of the tools are magnetized (e.g. screwdriver).

Cheap Jeweler screwdrivers (like from a dollar store) are useful if they have long lever arms and small screw heads.

I'd go with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899196006
    though I'd replace all of those screwdrivers with a single multi-bit one. Sad that the kits don't come like that anymore.

The other useful parts are for carefully placing the CPU and removing the CPU. There's also a nice grasping tool that is useful for retrieving screws that were dropped into the case.

At first, I obssessed on the anti-static arm-band, but as long as you aren't standing on carpet, wearing wool, the climate you're working in is controlled etc.. you should be ok. I just wear cotton, work on a wood table, and try not to touch the cards or metal.

Unless you overclock your machine, the stock fans are usually adequate. As long as you don't replace it with totally cheap junk, you should be ok. No need for ridiculous "muscle car" looking fans. And don't forget to apply the thermal paste to the cpu and the fan so it actually works. Artic Silver is a good brand of that.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

10. aimeeandbeatles

For the grasping screws I think you can use a needle-nose plier.

A little flashlight also is useful. But then again I have bad eyesight

11. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-145-Piec...TM/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1313628607&sr=8-15

Look at the list and decide what you want to get.

12. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I wouldn't use that since the teeth might damage the board/screw.

The device I'm talking about has very thin spring steel claw in a plastic pen case, and probably cost 50 cents for them to make. Pretty gentle, quick, and easy to use.

And also, unless you're going to try and splice/solder wires, don't need most of the electrician tools.

13. aimeeandbeatles

Well the one I used didn't have any teeth.

14. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

Not really cutting it, but thanks for the suggestion.

I always keep some small (1-2inch) zip-lock bags on hand to contain and identify screws. You can pick them up at most decently-stocked craft stores in the jewelry supply section or from a packaging company like Uline.

15. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

I just have a small leather case with various computer repair tools that I bought as a kit for less than 20 bucks. It comes with everything you need tool wise, and it has some small plastic pill boxes with a snap lid for extra screws and such. Even came with one of those extending pincher/grabber things so you can snag screws that you might drop but cant get your hand in to grasp them due to space.

You could probably re-create the same thing with a small fishing tackle box, or some plastic organizer stuff from Office Depot for a very minimal cost.

16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

This one (plus pill box)?

I've got the same one. :goodjob:

17. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen

I'm looking into getting a new internet connection.
    My current one 10Mb comes through the cable goes to a modem, then a router and from that to two desktops in the living room and wirelessly to a playstation in one bedroom and x-box and a laptop in another.
    Now, the new one would be a VDSL2 100Mb, the challenge is that it arrives into the apartment via the phone line, and the only phone socket is in the hallway.
    So my question is, how would I achieve the best possible speed for all the devices?
    Do I install a wireless modem in the hallway and get some sort devices for the desktops to receive the signal?
    Or do I run a phone extension cable from the hallway to the desk in the living room and have a modem there, get lines to the desktops from there and wireless from there for the rest?
    Or do I put a modem in the hallway, run a data cable from there to the current router and from there as now?

Bonus question - any recommendation for which modem to get?

18. aimeeandbeatles

You'll probably laugh at me, but for screws, if you go through a lot of prescription pill bottles like I do, rip off the labels and wash them out (sometimes the pills are powdery and leaves residue) and they're good for holding screws. My mom does this. It saves them from going in the garbage.

19. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Running the phone line extension will get you the best speeds, wireless isn't going to come close to 100mbits.

Depending on your router model (if it's cheap and/or old), there's a good chance that it can't do 100 mbits on the WAN->LAN interface either, (even if LAN->LAN connects at 100mbits) so you may want to look at upgrading that.

20. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen