Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

I have a very bizarre issue. I am able to ping a certain website, and running it through downforeveryone and a proxy works. But whenever I try to load it in either browser it times out. What would cause this issue?

I have a very bizarre issue. I am able to ping a certain website, and running it through downforeveryone and a proxy works. But whenever I try to load it in either browser it times out. What would cause this issue?

Could be something with your browser's settings blocking a direct connection? Or maybe the target site is deliberately blocking your IP domain?

What are the indicators that a video card is about to fail? I've been having a lot of lockups and graphics failures that I hope aren't a more serious problem then just the video card.

Right now it looks like this.

What are the indicators that a video card is about to fail? I've been having a lot of lockups and graphics failures that I hope aren't a more serious problem then just the video card.

Spoiler :
Try a different monitor, might just be the monitor

the monitor is only a couple of months old. The video card is 5 years old. And a monitor doesn't explain the PC locking up and cIV crashing.

I would try reinstalling the drivers as the ones on my old computer would glitch up sometimes and do similiar things.

Check the card is firmly in the socket is my only suggestion.

Spoiler :

What card is it? Certain cards (including my Geforce 9800 GT) had issues with the thermal glue that could cause issues like that. If you've tried everything else to fix it and are about to give up and buy a new card, as a last resort I suggest you try baking your video card in the oven. I know it sounds crazy, but it actually worked for me.

Instructions: http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/fix-your-graphics-card-by-baking-in-oven/

I was very reluctant, but it worked for me. You might want to give it a try as a last resort.

I've already ordered a new card. Should be here midweek sometime. In the meantime that PC has no video output at all any longer. So I had to dig my old PC out of storage to get online again.

I need software that can generate some line graphs, preferably with two y-axis scales, where I can just paste in data. Looking for freeware for Vista. OpenOffice Calc just doesn't cut it.

Any recommendations?

:please:

It won't automatically make a line graph for you, but you can plot points in blender and then connect the dots with a line, I've done that in my math class a few times and it seems to work ok, other than that I can't think of anything

On WordPress, I have a plugin that will optimise the database tables without having to go through phpMyAdmin. So anyways I usually do it once a week or once a day if I'm actively working on the site. Is this too much or too little or sounds about ok? Remember the size of my site, if I leave it unoptimised for a long time it ends up being sluggish as anything.

What's the best free anti-virus program? (in terms of both threat detection and load on system resources).

I think the exact top 1 or 2 programs changes almost semi-annually, so you have to keep reading reviews. Currently it appears to be neck and neck between Bit Defender and Norton. MSE (what Zelig said) also gets good ratings.

I prefer Avast over AVG, loads quicker. I recently uninstalled AVG on all my machines and replaced them with Avast.

Should one worry about dust on a computer case as long as its clear around any vents.

Top Bottom