• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Yep, driver problem. If for whatever reason that doesn't fix it, try downloading and replacing all of your text font packs or what have you.

I got some new adware infection on my PC. This is what it does:

It inserts links on the page and when your cursor touches them an ad pops up. Anyone know what this is or how to get rid of it? I'm running Firefox with adblock plus and noscript already. Avast free anti-virus found nothing. Action Center found nothing. It got past Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Failing that, try Spybot S&D, it's never let me down.

My own question: Suddenly in Firefox, every webpage I visit has bolded text. It isn't a zoom in/zoom out thing, I tried ctrl+ and ctrl- already.

Example:

Spoiler :

What would cause this? I've been bumping around the options and can't find anything amiss.

My own question: Suddenly in Firefox, every webpage I visit has bolded text. It isn't a zoom in/zoom out thing, I tried ctrl+ and ctrl- already.

Example:

Spoiler :

What would cause this? I've been bumping around the options and can't find anything amiss.

Check out what your font settings are in Options -> Content under advanced. Is it under some default "Western" setting?

Spybot and superantispyware have been a bust.

That thing looks annoying. Try opening up the Adblock Plus list of "blockable" items on the page where it happens, and see if anything in that list looks amiss--i.e. it looks like an ad script but isn't currently blocked. That might give you some names to google for removal.

Check out what your font settings are in Options -> Content under advanced. Is it under some default "Western" setting?

Yeah, I made sure that was set to it's defaults, nothing was out of place there.

I finally found this fix which seems to have put a band-aid on the problem for now:

Here's the fix that works for everyone:

- Right click firefox.exe in the installation folder.

- Go to Properties > Tick checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

- Choose "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"

- Click "Apply" and "OK"

- Problem Fixed

source: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/749272

Apparently it has something to do with the combination of Type 1 fonts and FireFox.

That's strange, glad it worked out though.

i.trkjmp.com might be the problem. Can't tell for sure.

I checked a few different CFC pages and looked in my adblocker, and I don't have that entry. I did a quick google and that seems to be malware--it's associated with some downloadable content/toolbars/goofiness that might have gotten installed under the radar. Looks like you may have to do some manual removal and registry editing to get rid of it, but the specifics will depend on your system/browser.

It's relatively new, there might be no option besides manual removal at the moment.

I blocked it with adblock,and it's not having an affect on my pages any more. But it's still hidden in the system someplace. Couldn't find where it hides.

Nice, hopefully you can keep it tamed until one of the malware removal softwares is updated to remove it. If you are feeling adventurous, you could probably track it down by the time the problem started occurring and match that to when your computer's registry was edited. I'm usually not up to that task, it's sometimes quite painful.

I remember reading about a type of encryption where it uses a very large encrypted file and different keys will unlock different parts of the file. The rest of the file is filled with random noise. The reason for this is that if you get forced to reveal the keys, you can give them one of two keys and claim that it unlocks everything on the encrypted file (because it is impossible to prove if the rest of the file is filled with random data or encrypted data) while still hiding everything else. Does anyone know what this type of encryption is called? Thanks

Perhaps this? Not entirely sure I understood the question right but might be it.

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=plausible-deniability

I have a question myself. Whenever I download a file from a browser Windows "blocks" it and I have to manually unblock it in properties. Sometimes it does weird stuff if I don't. Is there a way to disable this entirely? The only things I found in Google involved using a stream editor and I dont really feel quite confident enough to try something like that. I've also found dumping all the files in a folder, zipping and unzipping sometimes works but thats a little silly.

Perhaps this? Not entirely sure I understood the question right but might be it.

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=plausible-deniability

I have a question myself. Whenever I download a file from a browser Windows "blocks" it and I have to manually unblock it in properties. Sometimes it does weird stuff if I don't. Is there a way to disable this entirely? The only things I found in Google involved using a stream editor and I dont really feel quite confident enough to try something like that. I've also found dumping all the files in a folder, zipping and unzipping sometimes works but thats a little silly.
What OS and browser do you use?

Any browser, Vista. It sometimes also does it when I copy files over a LAN or something. Something about blocking the file because it came from another computer and apparently I'm an idiot.

I think you can also disable it in the group policy manager but I dont have that.

I have only had troubles with IE9 blocking my downloads. Firefox has never claimed to know better then I and prevent me from downloading something if I want to.

Also, IE9 doesn't have a dl manager with resume-able downloads, which really sucks for larger downloads or those of us on slower connections.

No, it's to do with the NTFS file system.

Do you have UAC enabled on your Vista? Since it isn't just IE, my next guess would be it's UAC being hyperactive. Though I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "blocks" in this case. That is, if you didn't already find a way to fix it in post 3781. (Kind of curious what NTFS setting would cause this if there was a solution there)

I'm messing around with customization for a computer, and I'm not really sure where to go on this issue:

mSATA drive (and how should I use it?) + hard drive

OR

SSD (more expensive)

Top Bottom