Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Yeah, those days were expensive as each new version of software seemed to require an upgrade in computer power. :(

A bit late, but thank you. :)

Can someone explain to me how uninstallers typically work?

I ran the uninstaller for a game called "Crysis 2" and it not only uninstalled the game, it uninstalled the entire folder above it which I had put all my purchased GamersGate games into. It deleted the folder I created called "Gamersgate" and literally everything inside of it, along with the game I was trying to uninstall.

the folder layout was like this: D:\Games\Gamersgate\Crysis 2\

I uninstall Crysis 2, then the Gamersgate folder is gone, along with all other games in it. No warning. huh?

Have you checked the trash?

Years ago, the remake of Pool of Radiance had a similar issue, in that it was reported to reformat your hard drive (!!) during uninstallation, but seeing how that would be a cluster-fudge of epic proportions, I can't imagine why anyone would make virtually the same mistake again.

The Dragon Age: Origins uninstaller had some weird labelling on its options, so that if you didn't read them properly, you might accidentally delete all your save-files, that was about it for me.

Is it possible to use third party software to load songs from my computer onto my iPod? I truly hate iTunes and would rather not have to use it.

Is it possible to use third party software to load songs from my computer onto my iPod? I truly hate iTunes and would rather not have to use it.
I know there are definitely a bunch of third party ones, like iSkysoft TunesOver and CopyTrans, but some of them are paid I think and I don't know exactly how reliable they are. Might be worth a try if you hate iTunes that much!

I have a question of my own, if I may:

I'm looking to start my own website, nothing particularly fancy, basically just to have my own portal on the web. I know some HTML and CSS at a basic but decent enough level (I basically just dabbled in a few Code Academy courses!). Originally I was just going to set one up with WordPress, but I got thinking about other CMSs and came across Joomla. I've been reading up a little on Joomla, so I have a basic idea of what I can do with it, but I'm unclear on what (if any) advantages it would give me over WordPress.

Anyway, my question is: does anyone have any experience with Joomla and can tell me whether it's worth it compared to WordPress? Is it true that it's more secure than WordPress because it's not quite as widely used, for example? They're both free, so I'm just looking for anything that might sway my decision.

Thank you kindly! :)

ı had to allow my computer to repair itself , so it basically re-booted itself to 2013 . Which means Mcafee anti-virus programme bundled into the laptop is back . With 2013 specs and with web connection at home and stuff , it's basically useless . So ı have it uninstalled , using demo programmes which might be 6 months out of date but still function after some fashion .

people might remember ı tend to have "issues" , including the locals and stuff and am once again bleeding bytes , losing approximately 1GB a day . There were fire walls and stuff copied into my downloads after some pressure , including some stupid posts in CFC , but possibly they were down taken down . (Or possibly the CPU is re-arranging the files to save space , which is maybe the thing called de-fragging) Ctrl+Alt+Delete to see anything ı can do as a computer illiterate and ı notice Mcafee is still there and resisting manual deletion as well . It will probably stop demo programmes from loading , taking them to be viruses . So , how do ı shut it down ?

edit: McAfee turns out to be benign , possibly just counting the days , for it's free for a year even if it already knows it has been 1291 days since the time the computer was bought when it was re-installed . And the bleeding thing seems to have stabilized . Those who should be thanked know themselves .

I doubt it. Probably 6 gets discontinued, 6S gets a $100 price cut to match current 6 price, 7 takes old iPhone 6S price, no change to SE.

Though 7 likely to be a relatively better deal because of bumped up storage tiers - I consider the 16GB model to be essentially worthless, so it's actually a $100 drop in price for the cheapest non-SE model worth purchasing.

Microsoft Word; the Spelling/Grammar library

I'm having trouble switching my Word language library from French back to English.

When I began writing my latest short story, the first four words were in French. I believe this may have been what triggered my Word software into choosing French as my spelling library. As I wrote, I did notice that the usual red and green underlining were not appearing. Last night, I poked around until I activated this feature. But when I did, almost the entire story was underlined in red because the words' spelling matched no known French words.

I began trying to switch the library from French to English. I quickly found the drop-down menu in the spelling checker. However, no mater how many time I use that menu to select "English, United States," the checker immediately switches back to French.

I kept poking around and poking around in other places until I fell asleep. Somewhere in there, I did something right because, beginning with the fifth paragraph, only the English library is used. In the first four paragraphs, the library switches back and forth from French to English. Why? I dunno.

Can anyone help?

Which version of Office are you using?
It might help to have the entire text selected at the moment you change the language settings.

I'm bringing an iPhone SE with me for 4 weeks in Japan. It does not have a SIM card in it - I used my roommate's SIM card temporarily to activate it.

Will I run into any issues? All I want to use my phone for on this trip is apps and wifi.

Or is the worst that will happen those annoying messages?

Top Bottom