Congrats, Kael!

Congratulations Kael!

I may have to use my refunded store credit to re-purchase Elemental once they give you a crack at it :D

I am liking this part of the article.

He added, "...In turn, a full-time experienced producer on Elemental will ensure that subsequent updates and expansions get the kind of attention they need and deserve." Wardell said after the next game update, the studio will begin work on an expansion that will be made free to all people that currently own Elemental. The CEO will return to his role as executive producer and AI developer on the title.

While you should never say never, I think Elemental's spectacular failure of a launch has already prevented it from being a big success. However, that doesn't mean they can't/won't fix it up and make it a good game, which I hope they do. I really hope they do better with their next game though.

And congrats to Kael! I haven't played FfH nor will I likely do so, but I've heard nothing but good about it.

It's amazing 2K and Firaxis paid no mind to Kael after he, with ffh, probably made both of them alot of money from the mod... and Stardock comes and swoops him up. Depending on how it goes, Stardock = smart; 2K = dumb and broke.

Wardell said after the next game update, the studio will begin work on an expansion that will be made free to all people that currently own Elemental.

I wonder if 2K games will offer a free expansion to everyone that owns the game already...?? Oh wait, n/m... Hell hasn't frozen over yet for that to happen.

Well, I seriously hope he really knows what he is doing, since Elemental is not exactly the best possible game to work at this moment, if you know what I mean ...

It had a terrible launch, but they have since patched it up really well, the 1.09 patch is very nearly bug-free and plays smooth. the next patch, 1.1 will overhaul a lot of the game mechanics.

the game may not have the best reputation, but it has TONS of potential, and as long as stardock continues to support it (hiring Kael as a producer just for post-release content is a good sign they are committed) I think Elemental can be really great.

its gonna take a lot to turn around the perceptions of people who have read about it or played the release version... but haven't played it lately.

That is pretty much my point: his sucess probably depends more of the PR campaign to clean up the game image than of his talents as a dev. That is a really bad spot for a dev...

That is pretty much my point: his sucess probably depends more of the PR campaign to clean up the game image than of his talents as a dev. That is a really bad spot for a dev...

maybe, but if he turns it around, he'll be a legend :D

Derek. Mr Paxton. Home bro. PLEASE stand up to Brad Wardell. Stardock is a possibly great, but not yet so, company that I think is hurt by the odd idealism of its CEO. If you can change that, and add good flair and flavor to their products, it will be a true coup.

Personally, I think that Elemental just needs easy basic gameplay design changes accross the board, and alot more content. Being familiar with Elemental and FfH, I'm thinking that for Kael the design changes will be low hanging fruit, and Kael is a natural for stuffing a game full of content, even if it doesn't always mesh.

I'm excited about it. Elemental is extremely moddable, I dare say moreso than Civ5 or even 4. If it can grab a stable audience, it will be a first class modding platform.

maybe, but if he turns it around, he'll be a legend :D
That path to glory is filled with the bleached bones of the many that fell in there :p

Not sure why this is in Civ V...
I'd thought the same thing and posted Stardocks press release a few hours ago over in the Other Games forum. But it hardly got any notice over there. In the short time the news has been here, it has reached many more people.

Moderator Action: The two congratulation threads have been merged. There is a redirect to this thread in the other forum.
Here is another thread to consider redirecting?

I just re-purchased Elemental with the store credit I received from demanding a refund :crazyeye:

I want to go on record as saying this was done precisely because of this announcement.

Now fix this piece of crap Kael :D

Personally, I think that Elemental just needs easy basic gameplay design changes accross the board, and alot more content. Being familiar with Elemental and FfH, I'm thinking that for Kael the design changes will be low hanging fruit, and Kael is a natural for stuffing a game full of content, even if it doesn't always mesh.

I'm excited about it. Elemental is extremely moddable, I dare say moreso than Civ5 or even 4. If it can grab a stable audience, it will be a first class modding platform.
I haven't said otherwise... this is probably , in the technical sense, the perfect job for Kael. But the sucess of his work will probably depend far more of cleaning up the bad taste Elemental troubled release brought, that is not a dev task directly, than of his devs skills in coding the game and stuff for the game... In certain aspect , his sucess is a lot in the hands of the PR team :/

I haven't said otherwise... this is probably , in the technical sense, the perfect job for Kael. But the sucess of his work will probably depend far more of cleaning up the bad taste Elemental troubled release brought, that is not a dev task directly, than of his devs skills in coding the game and stuff for the game... In certain aspect , his sucess is a lot in the hands of the PR team :/

I'd like to think that 4X gamers are logical enough to get past first impressions... of course they aren't so you're probably right.

I'd like to think that 4X gamers are logical enough to get past first impressions... of course they aren't so you're probably right.
Not just that ... note that word of mouth makes a lot in here. Imagine that i disliked Elemental and griped about the game to people that would even be willing to buy it ... if those persons never hear something again about the game, what will be their first reaction if they get into a shop and see the game in the shelf? "Oh, look, that is the game that X said it was bad ... better look for other thing ", isn't it ?

Not just that ... note that word of mouth makes a lot in here. Imagine that i disliked Elemental and griped about the game to people that would even be willing to buy it ... if those persons never hear something again about the game, what will be their first reaction if they get into a shop and see the game in the shelf? "Oh, look, that is the game that X said it was bad ... better look for other thing ", isn't it ?

For me the 4X genre has always been too large a part of my entertainment allotment to take it that casually. I probably own every 4X that currently exists... even though I hate some of them. I usually have a pretty good idea what a 4X is like well before it is out.

Then again, I am probably not a typical consumer in this case. I'm definitely an informed one... and 95% of your sales are to far more casual consumers. So again you're likely correct.

Congratulations Kael. Your contributions to gaming have been great. I'm glad you're getting recognition :)

I don't think Elementals success is going to be PR and marketing driven. Kaels task is to realize, and expand upon, Brads existing vision for the game. And Kaels success will be built upon the talented work that Brad Wardell and the Elemental Team has already brought to the game. The potential for the game is obvious as stated by reviewers and users alike. Look past the construction debris and see what they have been building!

The brand new gaming engine for which Elemental is built upon needs fine tuning. At this point it has already received significant overhaul with the majority of the system issues having been resolved. Game flavor needs additional fleshing out. And core mechanics are in need of increased depth. But the groundwork for the game is already well established. It may be hard for some to see, but it is there. Don't underestimate the potential of what has already been done.

Despite Kaels creative ability, the most powerful tool he brings to the shop is skills and experience towards project and people management. Stardocks CEO was in distracted position to run a multi-million dollar software development and publishing company, code the AI, manage the workforce, and more. Kael is an experienced and talented project manager who is placed in a dedicated role. This is going to make a big difference. Now, Kael clearly has design and creative skills which will also be an enormous asset to the games continued development. Those creation skills are going to add much to what already exists. But it is still his project management skills, applied in a dedicated role, which is the real money here.

Once complete, and the game will be complete, word will spread virally. The Fall From Heaven mod had no marketing drive. It's success and popularity was viral. Word of its greatness spread from one gamer to another. Culminating in some impressive media awards and industry recognition. So to will be Elementals success. Once something has gone viral it becomes news. Press will begin picking up on it here and there. A few more will follow and there will be a brief moment in time when Elemental gets the constructive exposure it was eventually meant to have. Elementals success will be based on people digging the game to tell others. So Stardock and Kaels job is all about making the game great. They are past the marketing spin stage. And Stardock doesn't seem to put much stock in overblown campaigns anyhow. Which suits me fine! I put more stock in what my peers have to say than some sales motivated marketing rep anyhow. I think the trend in press reviews and publisher hype is turning people back to peer reviews anyhow. We'll see. But one thing I am certain of, an Elemental success depends upon people digging the game. It has nothing to do with PR and marketing.

Top Bottom