1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Considered a Villian By the World?!?!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by PyroMancer, Jul 26, 2007.

1. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

I think so. I got -5 each time I defied the nuclear non-proliferation treaty.

2. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

Wow, an even bigger necro than the other one!

3. stfoskey12

stfoskey12 Emperor of Foskania

What's a necro?

4. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

Some persons appear to be offended by people posting to threads that have had no activity in a long time. They refer to these threads by various phrases and catch words including "necro" (or compounds of it) which is derived from a Latin term meaning "dead". An example of the original meaning would be in "necropolis", meaning "city of the dead" or as we would now say "cemetery". Myself, I see no problem with posting to an old thread, if that seems appropriate, although the occasionally seen advice to someone who has posted nothing further for a few years does seem rather pointless.

5. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

I wouldn't consider it "wrong" - just a little odd. Think about face-to-face conversations... if you're in a group talking about one subject, and the group moves on to new topics, it feels a little strange for someone to suddenly jump back to the previous topic hours later without a segue. In the case of this thread, the previous topic was discussed 5 years ago.

It's actually somewhat amusing for people like me who have the forum set to auto-subscribe to threads I post in... I suddenly see a thread I replied to half a decade ago pop up on the list. Raising the dead indeed! :lol:

6. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

I wasn't offended. Thalassicus summed up my views upon the subject quite well.

7. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Necroing can be pretty handy. It gets a few of the 'common' responses out of the way, because they've already been done. They provide more reading for those who're new to the topic, so it can imitate a higher-quality Opening Post.

8. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Something else to consider is if a thread is old enough, information may be out of date.

9. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Moderator Action: Ok, ppl, let's not discuss the merits/demerits of necroing threads here ;) We have the Tavern and OT for that ...