1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Could we ever colonize another Earthlike planet?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by caketastydelish, Apr 8, 2019.

1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It's unfortunate because it is difficult to bring enough air to Mars in the form of asteroid and comet impacts rather than baking it out of the crust gently through global warming.

There is enough trapped gas to start the process of giving it a decent atmosphere, but it will never be enough to allow live on without a spacesuit. The resulting pressure is just too low.

2. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

How feasible do you think will be to some day in the future throw comets at Mars to achieve this?
    And how long could a dense atmosphere be expected to last there, with the lower gravity and probably no core activity?

I guess the neat thing about colonizing Mars is that the lower gravity and likely more available resources to be mined would make it a good stepping stone for further explorations. But I still doubt Mars can ever be made useful.

3. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Very feasible. It's not that hard if you have lots of time on your hands.

I don't think we'll find anything on Mars that justifies the cost of colonization other than living space and technological growth, plus the insurance of having a backup planet for life. From a purely economic standpoint, I doubt it will be a net gain until tens or hundreds of millions live there and it becomes truly self-sustaining.