Coward in Chief Blows Off Centennial Memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
is supposed to automatically be obvious as a reference
Yes, I assumed that mentioning "WW-related events" as well as genocide and firebombing (in context of China and Japan) should make my WW2 reference obvious for educated people.

Pants...actually, board shorts which are the Hawaii equivalent, are designed to be worn wet. Shirts get all clingy when they are wet. Obvious common knowledge that no doubt makes such a case as yours difficult to defend. I'm surprised your lawyer hung in for four hours.
Well, my lawyer was used to it. Keeps happening.

Speaking of clingy when wet, I should write a thread about my weird day yesterday. Multiple wet shirts, and I saw boobs at a train station. Weird day.

For now all those peoples and nations which have looked to the US to lead, they trust and respect us less than they did.

Trump has not the majority of the US people behind him. Neither the popular votes of the House as the Senate. Neither the majority of the non-votes.
That message came across in Europe !
We all know that Trump is Trump and not the US, only part of the US. Andmost European countries have their own cross of populism.
It is for now more a feeling of sadness and uncertainty.

Yes, I assumed that mentioning "WW-related events" as well as genocide and firebombing (in context of China and Japan) should make my WW2 reference obvious for educated people.
No, "educated" people get thrown off by randomized switch-and-bait, and constant, nonsensical, turnaround of phrase in a ever-changing, inconsistent context that only makes internal sense to the reader. I would think @HoloDoc, as a published author, could back me up on this.

I see yet another thread that is solidly and firmly divided on partisan, ideological lines of "liberal vs. conservative" with the same sort of scripts, taglines, buzzwords, urban legends and "blame the other side for ALL problems in the world or even for having a monopoly on fundamental human flaws." This divide is the real enemy, not either of side, that is ruining and degrading global civilization. It has, itself, become much like the trench warfare of the Western Front - a lot of death, damage, and destruction, complete deadlock, no appreciable gains, and will almost certain give one day in a toppling of the current world into something far worse than either side is currently offering. I am NOT a partisan, or a liberal, or a conservative - and I condemn and excoriate those terms as corrupting and blocking up all advancement, progress, and prosperity in this world and insinuating itself into EVERY single fiber of society - even into those they should be most unwelcome. This divide is, through short-sighted spite and stupidity and lack of long-term vision on both sides driving us down a death spiral of civilization to an inevitable new global dark age. I invite all sane, rational, practical, thoughtful people who care about their world and all within to walk away from the crab trap of the liberal-conservative divide and think for themselves.

Man, I wish everyone here in the US could read this...and well, I guess the world too, where it matters....

We all know that Trump is Trump and not the US

@Hrothbern thank you for saying this :whew: ...as an American I've often wondered and, ofc, have been completely embarrassed for the past couple of years.

No, "educated" people get thrown off by randomized switch-and-bait, and constant, nonsensical, turnaround of phrase in a ever-changing, inconsistent context that only makes internal sense to the reader. I would think @HoloDoc, as a published author, could back me up on this.
While I admit that my English is far from perfect, nobody else seem to misunderstand that message, much less get irritated.

While I admit that my English is far from perfect, nobody else seem to misunderstand that message, much less get irritated.
No one else spoke in your support or chastened me either. It was an isolated dispute. Besides, many didn't likely notice the out-of-context insertion of China and Japan into an obviously WW1 reference where it wasn't appropriate, and no inherently intuitive instant shift to WW2 was implied in the text.

Trump has not the majority of the US people behind him. Neither the popular votes of the House as the Senate. Neither the majority of the non-votes.
That message came across in Europe !
We all know that Trump is Trump and not the US, only part of the US. Andmost European countries have their own cross of populism.
It is for now more a feeling of sadness and uncertainty.

I also thank you for saying it, but I take a lot less comfort from it because I don't really believe it. While it may be obvious that Trump doesn't really represent us, he does make it abundantly clear that our system should not be entrusted with choosing who fills the position of nominally leading us. The failure to correct that after the GWBush debacle is something that we cannot be allowed to not take responsibility for.

I also thank you for saying it, but I take a lot less comfort from it because I don't really believe it. While it may be obvious that Trump doesn't really represent us, he does make it abundantly clear that our system should not be entrusted with choosing who fills the position of nominally leading us. The failure to correct that after the GWBush debacle is something that we cannot be allowed to not take responsibility for.
A Swiss-style Federal Council as a "collective, committee-style head-of-state office" would be far better for the U.S., or most countries, actually, than a singular apex executive office for the whole country at any given time.

A Swiss-style Federal Council as a "collective, committee-style head-of-state office" would be far better for the U.S., or most countries, actually, than a singular apex executive office for the whole country at any given time.

Our system produced GWBush and Trump, in fairly rapid succession. Election by drawing lots at random would be far better for the US.

Actually, I got his point. :dunno:

Well, last WW1 veteran died 7 years ago.
Holding "remembrance ceremonies" when there's no one around any more who actually would remember anything feels somewhat... superficial to me.
So you commemorate nothing that happened before when there's nobody around who was there to remember? That's like saying people shouldn't celebrate national holidays if they're to commemorate events that happened over a hundred years ago.

Not that Remembrance Day is a celebration; that's not how we think of it. And while there aren't any more vets who were alive back then, there are still a few ordinary people who were alive then. And of course there are people still alive whose parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents either served or were affected in some other way.

I find it hard to be morally outraged here, considering I didn't attend a special ceremony for that occasion either.
You're not the head of a country, are you? People are disgusted with Trump because he let a little thing like rain keep him from doing something that was his duty to do. You, as a private citizen, have no such obligation to observe the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

My impression is that WW-related events considered important in Europe and much less so in America. USA didn't go through occupation, genocide or firebombing, didn't lose millions of people unlike Europe, Russia, China or Japan. So it's more like just another historical event for them. I wouldn't expect Trump or Obama to keep the same standards as Putin or Merkel here.
The U.S. arrived late to both World Wars. During an early meeting between Obama and Trudeau, Trudeau was wearing a poppy and Obama had to ask him why, as apparently he didn't know about our custom of wearing poppies during the couple or so weeks prior to, and on, Remembrance Day.

Ohhhkay, we need a Godwin's Law kind of thing about threads like this one inevitably arriving at Canadian nationalism.
Remembrance Day is pretty much the only day of the year when most of us express any sort of patriotism among ourselves. It's also the one day of the year when I attend (via watching it on TV) any sort of religious service. Mind you, the Chaplain General has for the past several years made oblique nods to atheists in his speeches, so that's a plus.

Wait, what? Canadian nationalism?

Oh...maybe the link in post 23 I guess. I didn't follow that one to see where it went.
Maybe you should have, so you'd get the context. Basically, both the article and the people who were posting comments on cbc.ca were expressing varying degrees of disgust at Trump's refusal to carry out what we consider to be a normal diplomatic - a moral diplomatic duty - to participate in commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War. His excuse was both flimsy and pathetic.

Justin Trudeau was very diplomatic about it, of course. He almost never criticizes Trump directly, but makes his reservations and dislikes known in ways that are crystal-clear to anyone who can read between the diplomatic lines.

This was another fair, nothing more. No reasonable person can think those pos's attending it cared about learning from past mistakes, so it is meaningless to focus on the pos not attending.
Hopefully after the next world war we will have cooler and more cyberpunk tech.

This was another fair, nothing more. No reasonable person can think those pos's attending it cared about learning from past mistakes, so it is meaningless to focus on the pos not attending.
Ah, another self-righteous coffee shop nihilist yapping about something they have no idea about as though they had a keen, razor-sharp insight. I guess I can dismiss you, too, now.

Moderator Action: If you feel like ignoring what people say, go right ahead, but don't advertise it, as no one cares (and it's pretty rude to do so too). ~ Arakhor
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
The U.S. arrived late to both World Wars. During an early meeting between Obama and Trudeau, Trudeau was wearing a poppy and Obama had to ask him why, as apparently he didn't know about our custom of wearing poppies during the couple or so weeks prior to, and on, Remembrance Day.
Yes, I know about this custom, and I think it's good. There's nothing wrong if Obama doesn't know about it though.
In our case, we celebrate Victory Day (May 9-th) in similar fashion. It has become more a remembrance day rather than holiday.

Is there something that the Prime Minister of Canada did to personally offend you, that you would use such an obnoxious, crude term to describe him? :huh:

Yes, I know about this custom, and I think it's good. There's nothing wrong if Obama doesn't know about it though.
In our case, we celebrate Victory Day (May 9-th) in similar fashion. It has become more a remembrance day rather than holiday.
I was just surprised at the time, that Obama had never heard of this custom. Trudeau explained it, Obama was polite, and learned something new that day.

Is there something that the Prime Minister of Canada did to personally offend you, that you would use such an obnoxious, crude term to describe him? :huh:

I was just surprised at the time, that Obama had never heard of this custom. Trudeau explained it, Obama was polite, and learned something new that day.
I obviously wasnt thinking of the Trud :)

I obviously wasnt thinking of the Trud :)
If that's true, how about using his correct name? I see enough obnoxious "nicknames" on the CBC news site's comment pages.

I'm really not looking forward to the coming year, what with the political ads already running for the provincial election that's expected in April or May, and the federal election that's expected in October.

well , because nobody can teach Trump anything , them Frenchies have instead picked on New Turkey , saying they have no idea on the recordings that "prove" Mr. Kaşıkçı was indeed murdered , at a time this Trudeau says his people have listened and it's horrific or something while Trump himself says how do they know it was the idiot who will become the next Saudi King . It's all about making a political statement , the severity depending on what might be the response . New Turkey gets insulted at the claim that a political game is being played , while Trump merely says it was them Americans who saved the French and before Yanks came them Frenchies were already learning German , thus am assured by today's newspaper .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom