Criticism of Spain's Conquistador unit

I was waiting for somebody to point this out. The settling ability of the conquistador is very situational, but the no city attack penalty and +2 sight are awesome. In fact, this is the only land unit with +2 sight in the entire game, it's like a caravel on land! I don't ,know that the Mandekalu Cavalry need a buff, however, b/c they stack with songhai's already OP'd triple gold conquest bonus.

I agree

Good thread so far:) I'm also looking for chieftain-king level players to play with. Contact me if your interested. I live on the east coast (of the U.S.A.) if time is a problem.

Steam Username: KingPtolemyIII
Still looking for players

A good spain build strategy is early mounted/siege, then start building infantry with tercio. 4-6 horses immediately promoted to conquistadors could do some serious damage, especially with a couple of cats/trebs thrown in.

If you think Conquistadors are bad, it means you're playing Spain wrong.

You should be INVADING weak overseas nations. Conquistadors being able to defend themselves at sea means you don't have to devote many resources to a navy to do this. The settling ability of the conquistadors means that if the person you're invading has small outlying cities or poorly placed cities you'd prefer to raze, you can simply re-found these cities without the occupation penalties. Once you establish a beachhead with enough conquistadors and non-puppet cities, you can easily defend those holdings without needing to ship massive numbers of units across oceans in late game (since you have complete control over those cities), especially if you maintain friendly relations with the larger powers on the continent or invade nations that hold natural wonders (since even at very low populations, cities near natural wonders have amazing output as the Spanish).

I was waiting for somebody to point this out. The settling ability of the conquistador is very situational, but the no city attack penalty and +2 sight are awesome. In fact, this is the only land unit with +2 sight in the entire game, it's like a caravel on land! I don't ,know that the Mandekalu Cavalry need a buff, however, b/c they stack with songhai's already OP'd triple gold conquest bonus.

I don't necessarily think Mandekalu's need a buff that impacts city capturing, but it just seems wrong (imbalanced) to me that 2 UUs that are both knight replacements can exist and one simply has more stuff then the other. If they aren't going to give Mandekalu's extra attributes, then they should at least reduce their hammer cost to compensate.

I don't necessarily think Mandekalu's need a buff that impacts city capturing, but it just seems wrong (imbalanced) to me that 2 UUs that are both knight replacements can exist and one simply has more stuff then the other. If they aren't going to give Mandekalu's extra attributes, then they should at least reduce their hammer cost to compensate.

I kind of agree with the other guy, though. The two units might not be balanced against each other, but between the two civs the Songhai are the obviously more powerful one. They have a much better UA, and they have a very good UB instead of a nearly worthless second UU. Something has to give; they can't be both balancing every UU against every other UU and balancing every civ against every other civ without turning it into a boring mass of homogeneity.

I think Conquistadors should not be consumed by building a city but instead just lose that ability, i.e. it can build 1 city and still continue exploring.
Otherwise its just a settler that can fight and is a lot more expensive

How did this thread get bumped?
Anyway, thanks to my experience on the forums, I take back what I said about Conquistadors.
They are good, although the settling ability is weak.

How? Someone new to the forums (based on his title) searched and performed necromancy on it.

How did this thread get bumped?
Anyway, thanks to my experience on the forums, I take back what I said about Conquistadors.
They are good, although the settling ability is weak.

"Terra" is not based on Earth, "Earth" is based on Earth. Terra is a random map script that makes an 'old world' and a 'new world'. All the civs spawn on the old world continent. This script already exists in the game. You can play it. It is randomized.

The purpose of the conquistador unit, as far as I can tell, is to conquer land on a new continent. Then you can raze it and found your own cities with the conquistador, and those don't have to be puppets or need courthouses.

EDIT: Dammit. For some reason I could only read half of the first page, so I thought I was saying something useful. Moving on...

Top Bottom