CTIV-5: Peacenik Re-education Camp

ChrTh, you have 3 alternates for now. What about creating CTIV-5a and CTIV-5b?

@ucel--yikes, I'm not able to run 2 more games at this point. If you want to start a game using the same variant rules, go right ahead. To keep it different, don't use the Mongols.

@team--are we wavering on our choice of Khan? should I reopen the leader choice for voting?

You can open it for vote, but mine is not changing. It is Khan all the way mainly for the health and granaries. Culture does not bring happiness unless you have a theatre so happiness is a non-issue. It helps with expanded borders yes, but so does SH or a library and you can whip a library or theatre quickly enough.

I don't mind going with either leader, I just usually would choose (although I mostly play random) the +2 culture and build theatre for a total of +5 culutre and a happy after one half-price building.

There are plenty of merits to cheap granaries though for this game so I wouldn't mind that either...

I think the cheap granaries will help with the :whipped: and is thus more worthwhile than the culture gain. Since we're not going to be content with taking border cities and fighting cultural battles, I don't think it's going to matter how soon we get a little culture going.

One note: we probably don't want to go for SH unless there's stone within our first city's borders. Too many other important things to build.

oldbustedjorn said:
So you're saying that the :whipped: and granaries are more important in warmongering?

Could this be my first lesson?

Indeed, grasshopper. When you're constantly fighting, it's hard to expend the time and effort to build up banks, grocers, libraries, etc. etc. because military is a more pressing need. With the :whipped: however, you reduce the amount of time 'wasted' building non-military things (not that you can't :whipped: soldiers either, but typically, because they're cheaper, it's not as often necessary). With granaries, you don't have to reload half the food, so the next :whipped: can happen sooner :)mad: permitting)

EDIT: Just thought of another reason not to go Creative: plundering. Typically you avoid plundering tiles that are going to be immediately useful. Well, if we're creative, that's 16 tiles that's almost immediately useful upon conquering a city. However, if it's not going to expand for awhile, we can pilfer all but the surrounding 8 tiles. Our non-plundering tile count drops by 50%!

*Writes on the blackboard*

"I will not build more infrastructure than needed"

(I didn't copy and paster either)

Makes sense, never thought about not being able to pillage...

For a peacnik, I do use the whip in high-food cities - but not so I can build more military - its so that I can build more infrastructure and Make More Monies Faster TM...

Ok, happy to go with the 'Khan' man so that we can whip quicker (graneries being cheaper, thus giving us earlier population to whip away). I would say that you can build infrastructure, but you must whip it so that you can get onto the serious stuff - building people to cut other people up with.

Our starting position:

CTIV-5A.jpg

Cows. Clams. Marble. Wine. Not too shabby.

One thing to remember is that our UU is Horse Archer. Therefore we're going to have to go for Animal Husbandry pretty soon in order to find horses.

Is that a Plains/Hill to the S? If so move there to settle. Gives us 1 extra hammer in the city centre which will be huge over time. Start with either Agriculture (no immediate benefit but leads to Animal Husbandry) or Fishing so we can build a boat and work the Clams. One of the benefits of that is that it gives us a decent amount of gold, which we can use to get Bronze Working and Horseback Riding more quickly.

Turn 0 -- 4000 BC

Scout moves towards neighboring hill. Looks like Ocean to the NW, perhaps we're in the corner of the continent?

Karakorum is built. Normally I'd start with Rax, but not with Raging Barbs.

Start researching Archery.

Turn 4 -- 3840 BC

As suspected, we're in the corner.

Turn 7 -- 3720 BC

Villagers provide us with a Scout. Spices to our South, Gold to our Southwest, luxuries might not be a problem.

Turn 8 -- 3680 BC

Warrior finished, start Barracks.

Archery is in, start Animal Husbandry.

Turn 12 -- 3520 BC

Buddhism has been FIADL.

Scout gets killed by Lions :mad:

Villagers give us Gold. Oh crap, I think we're on an island by ourselves.

Turn 17 -- 3320 BC

Villagers give us Mysticism.

Turn 19 -- 3240 BC

Animal Husbandry comes in. Start Mining.
Karakorum finishes Barracks, starts Archer.

We do have horses on this island, on the west coast.

Well, this sorta sucks. I don't see any stepping islands, so I don't see how we'll make contact until Optics (or conduct warfare until Astronomy). All in favor of restarting say 'Aye'

Here's the world:
CTIV-5B.jpg
Here's the save:
View attachment 114289

I find it helpful to show resources and food/hammers/gold on the map to start, since noobs like me need the help identifying stuff.

The Duff Man said:
Is that a Plains/Hill to the S? If so move there to settle. Gives us 1 extra hammer in the city centre which will be huge over time. Start with either Agriculture (no immediate benefit but leads to Animal Husbandry) or Fishing so we can build a boat and work the Clams. One of the benefits of that is that it gives us a decent amount of gold, which we can use to get Bronze Working and Horseback Riding more quickly.

I thought about moving South, but there was too much desert to the SW. BTW, we start with Hunting, so we don't need to research Agriculture first.

Ya restart. Waiting until Optics for contact is not my idea of fun warmongering. Good builder start though.

The Duff Man said:
Ya restart. Waiting until Optics for contact is not my idea of fun warmongering. Good builder start though.

Actually, it's a lousy builder start. Only 4-5 good cities can be built on it, and I can guarantee the AI will be finding us before we find them.

I rolled a new start. I won't be playing the turns until tomorrow though.

CTIV-5A.jpg

That's some good :whipped:!

ChrTh said:
Actually, it's a lousy builder start. Only 4-5 good cities can be built on it, and I can guarantee the AI will be finding us before we find them.

Having seen the whole map you are probably better informed to comment :D

Top Bottom