Cultural Citystyles for BtS, patch 3.19

No problem. At least I know where to look for the files then. ;)

Btw, nice work on the FfH citysets. I see you learned a trick or two from CC's xml. :D

Ladies and gentlemen, let me present you my first cityset. It is based on Axis & Allies North African set. Initially I intended it to be a specific medieval set for Egypt (since I felt that in medieval period Egypt should no longer keep Pharaoh-era inspired architecture), but when it was ready I realized that it also does a fairly good impression of Greek and Balkan architecture, so my recommended use is medieval (and maybe later) set for civs of Mediterranean basin, such as Egypt, Greece, Byzantium, Carthage etc (maybe even Rome and Spain).

It has one drawback in that the buildings don't have underground parts, but I found that it still looks nice in hilly cities (check the screenshot).

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0135.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0135.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 544
  • Civ4ScreenShot0136.jpg
    Civ4ScreenShot0136.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 516
  • Mediterranean.rar
    195.4 KB · Views: 88
Cool, I am not sure it fits too well with Egypt though. But it would certainly look good for a Mediterranean set for sure. Where is that terrain from? Specifically the ocean tiles, it looks really good.

Custom TR terrain, not released anywhere. It does fit Egypt, though - I can testify for that having visited Egypt this year. Alexandria and Cairo totally look like that (except for the modern blocks, of course).

Custom TR terrain, not released anywhere. It does fit Egypt, though - I can testify for that having visited Egypt this year. Alexandria and Cairo totally look like that (except for the modern blocks, of course).

I suppose that depends on what you are going for. If you want to be truly realistic and have Egypt evolve from Egyptian to Hellenic to Arab then you're probably right. But I don't see why you would want that when there is a Greek and Arab civ. But to each his own I suppose.

why not? looks awesome!

I'm too lazy, I guess. Also, I'm still hoping to release a TR version with this in it someday.

As far as Egypt goes, the current late Egypt city set assumes it still adheres to its pagan pantheon, while in an average game of Civ, you'd have a major religion by the time you get to medieval. As I am currently playing a Egypt game, and I am christian, I wanted to give Egypt another city set without pagan motiffs. And yeah, hellenic and arabic influences too. TR also has Egypt using phalanx in late classical, to represent the Ptolemaic period... :)

So, you are not going to release the terrain graphics because you hope to release a mod using the terrain graphics?

I don't get it.

Nope, I am not going to release the terrain graphics because it will get released in the mod anyway. There's also a metric ton of other graphical goodies like buildings and units used in TR that I'm also not releasing separately - not because I'm that greedy, just because I don't have enough time and dedication to properly release all that stuff on its own. And also because I'm still tweaking some of it now and then (especially terrain).

Beautiful set, Walter. I was always unhappy with the current renaissance cityset for the Greco_Roman style. Now there's an alternative. I do need to look out which building is placed in what node, but that's nothing new. ;)
So you say this is appropriate for later-era Egyptian style too IRL? I take your word for it. It's a better choice then having to decide between the current Middle-East or Arabian set as I'm using now.

EDIT: on the underground parts, the cityset is verly low poly, so would adding some increase the poly size that much?

Beautiful set, Walter. I was always unhappy with the current renaissance cityset for the Greco_Roman style. Now there's an alternative. I do need to look out which building is placed in what node, but that's nothing new. ;)
So you say this is appropriate for later-era Egyptian style too IRL? I take your word for it. It's a better choice then having to decide between the current Middle-East or Arabian set as I'm using now.

This set is based, with almost no changes, on a cityset meant to represent North African cities (Libya and Egypt mostly) in Axis & Allies. And I do believe it does a good job at that.

To help you out with the leaf system - the l_system values can be safely copied from later Egyptian cityset, as I used it as the base. The screenshots were taken with this leafing.

Edit: and yeah, the underground parts are only missing because I didn't add them. :) It won't affect the polycount much (or, indeed, it will barely affect it at all).

Nope, I am not going to release the terrain graphics because it will get released in the mod anyway. There's also a metric ton of other graphical goodies like buildings and units used in TR that I'm also not releasing separately - not because I'm that greedy, just because I don't have enough time and dedication to properly release all that stuff on its own. And also because I'm still tweaking some of it now and then (especially terrain).
Just to let you know... I'm waiting for the TR release for a loooong time now, because you keep flashing this precious terrain at us! ;)

Cheers, LT.

Nice one :).
I think, learning to do it, is the hardest part, so i guess, that there'll be more. Am i right :D?

Well, that might happen, but don't hold your breath. I just happened to have a high-quality pre-made material here. A&A has some citysets, but most of them would be redundant to make, like Western European. I may try my hand on Renaissance/Industrial Eastern Europe, though.

I think I finally managed to get the Natives where I want buildingwise... now it's time to xml some new shiny citysets... :D

Would there be a fairly easy way to merge this with a merged better AI and Bug mod? "CIV4RouteModelInfos.xml" file is the only file they share.

Top Bottom