1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Dalgaard

Dalgaard Chieftain

Ok I looked through 1.11 and 1.12 and I found no evidence of this change.
    There is no option to enslaving the population in sub-saharan cities anymore.
    Maybe it is a bug connected to the new bug interface?
    Try starting as egypt and WB a city in africa and give it 100 population, it still only says "draft".
    Anyways, great job on keeping a old game interesting and fun :) thanks and HF

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Thanks!

Uh, you're right that the BUG interface could've screwed up that option. I remember that I've ported the code while merging but never tested it. Will take a look at it.

3. JiimBV

JiimBV Afro Samurai

How is the Chinese Golden Age UHV calculated? When the Golden Age is finished, started, or what? I have put 4 Golden Ages in place (Versailles, Taj Mahal, Triumphal Arch and 2 Greats), and as soon as I started the first I had 1/4 Golden Ages according to the tracker. Once the other three were going, and the first had gone through its 12 turns, it was still only 1/4. Is this a bug? Am I being a fool?

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The turns you've spent in a GA are counted, divided by 8 and rounded down.

5. citis

citis Deity

When I played a China game it counted only the golden ages after the triumph arc (including the triumph arc's golden age). Moreover it counted only distinct GA.

6. Hightower

Hightower Prince

What if you've built/control the Mausoleum of Mausollos?

7. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Then you're lucky!

8. Chep

Chep Emperor

is it only me, or are the Mongols currently too strong?
    in my current game as England they have ~20-25 cities (once collapsed to 9 and then quickly recovered) and apparently still managed to beat me to the industrial age in the year 1600 (!).
    I thought their research would be crippled with soo many (not too useful) cities but they never fall behind.

In my game as China they didn't start at war with me, which made dealing with them quite easy so I can't judge their effectiveness there.
    As Byzantium I had 2 stacks of Mongols appear in southern Egypt -.-
    (as Byzantium is incredibly strong this wasn't much of a problem, it just seemed weird and unlogical, I mean you'd expect them to come from the east or maybe down from Russia towards Constantinoples)
    And as mentioned before, I thought them too strong for Russia, when I last played them. In my recent games Mongolia always takes almost all of Russia, the last time leaving Russia with 1 city^^

also:
    could someone please explain to me how to use the trading company as England? I decided to buy the 3 cities offered, which turned out to be a bad idea as I only got 2 and both of them were crushed by the Mughals culture within 2-3 turns.

PS: is there somewhere an explanation of the current stability mechanic (besides the civipedia-one)? since I fear I'd really derail this thread if I started asking about that here ;)

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

In lieu of an explanation in the civilopedia you can find one in one of the threads on the stability design here.

10. citis

citis Deity

Mongols are generally strong if they manage to conquer china. When both china and mongol collapse, then indies become too advanced, I think, that just mongol-china has a really strong economy. Moreover, the new tech cost system counts the population. Mongols have many cities, but small cities.
    Historically speaking Mongols came from central Asia to Persia, Mesopotamia, Levant and attacked Mamluks (Egypt). So, seeing them in Egypt is historically correct.
    The golden hord stopped in Hungary due to a marriage.
    Mongols did conquered Russia, and then Russia respawned. If you play Russia make sure to train pikes or many knights and you will be alright. Remember to attack them instead of defending them. Their UP makes defence useless.
    Engilsh trading company: Maybe they are out of Tamil and Mughal core areas. Culture only evades the core are you control, not a neighbouring.
    Stability is completely reworked. However, if you see the economy screen you will see messaged that tell you what's the stability problem you face. For more info see the Stability feedback thread.

11. Chep

Chep Emperor

@leoreth: thanks, didn't notice the stability feedback thread before (why isn't it sticky as well?).

still, reading that decreased my motivation to continue playing^^

@citis: yes, that tech cost system might be the reason, didn't know about it before.
    And sure, the Mongols advanced as far as Egypt. But it feels weird to have them suddenly appear from Sudan while the rest of my "Byzantine/Turkish/Persian/..." empire is free from harassment...how would they get there without crossing my territory first? by boat? the Mongols?^^

About the English: I simply don't understand what you're trying to tell me here. I got 2 cities, something like Mumbai and Kalkutta or so. And on the turn after I bought them, they were crushed by the Mughal culture from the surrounding cities. They didn't have a single tile to work on and starved.
    This leaves me with 2 (instead of the 3 advertised) completely useless cities - which I know now, thanks to the new tech penalty, don't slow my research down as much as I feared - so buying those cities seems utterly pointless and maybe even contra-productive (I was shuttling a great engineer there to build the Taj, to get at least some sort of bonus out of it). So I think it's currently best to either do nothing or go all out. unless the Mughals somehow collapsed and india is independent, then buying the cities might be a viable option, currently it just seems a stupid thing to do.

About the Russians: Unlike the Byzantines or the Chinese, the Russians don't have that much time to prepare for the Mongols, and again, they can come from anywhere, not just the east or other seemingly logical routes. Plus, the earlier try left me with almost no desire to try again, as it just felt unfair, so while it probably is easily possible I don't think I'll give them another shot.

So far I have to say, China, Byzantium (!!), Japan, Ethiopia, Mali, (England) were all feasible at least on the 2nd try, but often it felt sort of random whether you have a chance to win or not at all.

12. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Something sounds wrong here. You're supposed to get a considerable portion of the cities' culture as your own, which will allow you to take a considerable amount of tiles along with the cities.

13. Malchar

Malchar Prince

Perhaps the trading company cities were very small to begin with, and they were overwhelmed by the culture from other larger cities.

14. Chep

Chep Emperor

here's a save 2 turns before completing the Trading Company (there a GE in London or you can just whip the population...)
    I bought Mumbai and Kolkata, both have ~270-370 culture at the moment, which is more than most of their neighbours. However, after they turn to me, they start with 0 culture.

and by 1608 the Mongols had beat me to the industrial age Oo
    the tech pace really seems a bit off in this mod, don't you think?

however, after reading the stability thread: isn't this trading company outcome actually the best possible? size 1 cities with 3 traderoutes a 5-7 which help fulfill your UHV while my core cities are size ~20?

15. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Potentially back

I finally got SVN, and I'm really excited to try the URVs. However, if I do not found a city by the 3rd turn, do I not get any Workers, even if cities flip to me? As India, I moved my starting Settler to Lahore and got no workers on the 3rd turn in Dilli like usual. Is this intentional? If yes, why, and if no, could it be changed?

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

My implementation was a bit naive. I intended to give the workers when you found your first city, but currently this is checked by counting your number of cities and giving you settlers when it's one. I forgot about the alternative where your first city is one you acquire from flips.

17. calad

calad Emperor

How about making it a bit more clear like "have x turn of golden ages".

18. asewland

asewland Warlord

How long will it be before 1.12 comes out?

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

20. Lennon789

Lennon789 Prince

Won't these people ever learn? You can't rush perfection!