1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 20, 2011.

1. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

Talk to the school children of America. When they are still forming basic sentences at a almost-collegiate level of education, you know that either your youth are simply mentally limited, or public education is inadequate.

2. Aharon

Aharon Chieftain

It seems to have to do with the way gaining/losing contacts works. It happened for me, I then cheated a unit Close to a civ I had just lost contact to, and the ranking Thing reappeared.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

French has only 63.8 native speakers? That can't be right, sounds more like the population of France only.

If the scoreboard disappears, there's something wrong with the code that displays it. The game slows down because it always tries to redraw it but fails, which causes lag. A save of the situation, preferably a few turns earlier, would be helpful.

Maybe the problem can be fixed by turning of the "group vassals to masters" option.

4. AdrienIer

AdrienIer Deity

There's already 79m native speakers adding France, Belgium (Wallonie), Switzerland (Romandie) and Quebec. Add to that the people of Western Africa who speak French as their native language and you're probably closer to 150m.

5. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

The numbers represents native speakers as mother tongue. I wouldn't say that all of France's ~60 million people are native speakers.

6. yurisusuki

yurisusuki Hope, Faith and love

I see this everyday..i think all reasons mentioned by you are correct..And probably the parents need to be more concerned with providing education to children than to leave everything in the hands of the state..and also encourage children to be more self-study the possible

7. Atlantic Pacf.

Atlantic Pacf. Back from the dead

Really? Then what would be the rest speaking? Occitian is almost extinct, so it can't be that. I doubt that the Arabic-speaking population would add up to that much either.

Also, English is hard. When you have a language where "ghoti" can be pronounced /fɪʃ/ (ie. "fish"), then you have a problem. Though I wouldn't say that the grammar is hard, tenses notwithstanding.

8. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

Yes, exactly. I think that a total lack of apathy from the parents is a fundamental catalyst in the stagnation of children's minds.

Now, I'm certainly not as bright as some of the people on this forum, of this I can assure you, but I distinctly recall in high school giving a "book talk" (we were supposed to essentially narrate what the book we read was about) about Marcus Aurelius's Meditations, and then being succeeded by someone who proceeded gave a talk on a book I've seen elementary children reading.

/endimsosuperiorandsmartrant

9. sebzilla

sebzilla Warlord

It can't really, though. Find me an English word where gh=f at the beginning of a syllable. Or one where ti=ʃ at the end of one.

10. citis

citis Deity

Well, how about tiogh? :p

11. Malchar

Malchar Prince

I've noticed that when I fortify a unit inside another civ's borders I can still lose contact with them unless I actually move the unit every so often.

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Well, there'd be French speaking immigrants that come from non French speaking countries. But I agree, they can't amount to that much, and the number of all native speakers in the world surely cannot be this low considering the countries AdrienIer mentioned.

Tenses are super easy, and most of the time English spelling is intuitive, even though not always consistent. "Ghoti" is a stupid example because it's etymologically impossible to be an English word, sorry.

Everyone who says that English is a difficult language either has a non Indo-European native language or needs some context.

This is regardless of public vs. private schools, really. Children with parents who care and have the time will always be at an advantage.

13. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

Yes, of course. It doesn't matter how spectacular your curriculum is if the students are very disengaged with his/her teacher(s).

Of the people who fail out of high school that I knew personally, all of them either had a very tough childhood, or non-supportive or invisible parents.

It's a shame, really. I truly do feel like some parents should not be siring children. It hurts you financially, and the child emotionally.

14. yurisusuki

yurisusuki Hope, Faith and love

But i think..USA still are good in this point after all

In Brazil the government says ''don't exist right or wrong way to talk or write''..you don't need learn your own language...and of course in all others aspects of education Brazil are going very very bad, but america still have one of the best educations of the world..i think..

When the problem is just the parents..we have some chance to give a solution..but when the problem are the own government... the own culture..

Fortunately the problem of usa is just the parents

15. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

^ America has a very laughable education system for being one of the most powerful and developed countries in the world. It's staggering how much education is lagging behind.

It's obviously better then most public school systems in the world, (you at least have to learn English :lol:) but in my experience, when I was in high school, one major limitng factior of what we could learn was the budget. Sure, that should be a limit, but it was an omnipresent factor.

16. youtien

youtien Lyricist

This is an interesting Polish start:

1. Greece lives and got Tiraspol (iron 2S from Kiev) as capital - in this savefile you have a chance to use starting army to conquer it and collapse Greek empire at once.

2. Arabs got all Italy - they just flipped it when Roman Empire collapsed. They are tech leader and biggest empire around, you can't stand against them until you got your UU.

3. Moors destroyed Spanish.

4. HRE has a formidable army, but they'll eventually be defeated by Arabs and vassalize to you.

5. Apostolic Palace isn't built, so you can build Catholic holy shrine.

You can load AD 1020 savefile if you don't like my start.

Attached Files:

17. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

New commit, fixing the city conquest crash. I'm sure this was the cause of all the problems with the previous revision, with crashes during AI turns likely being caused by their city conquests.

I hope you all update so this can be verified soon.

18. Royal Tenenbaum

Royal Tenenbaum Exiled

Japanese have the best learning ethics. However, their education system is archaic. Still old Confucian methods.

19. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

yes, I agree, we need to do something to buff Japan, for reflecting Meiji Reform.

20. youtien

youtien Lyricist

SVN 593, game hanged as I completed another part of SS...

Attached Files: