Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Discouraged Japan from founding cities too closely

Since they built cities a lot, I thought this will lead them to build more cities outside of Japan?
Manchu, Philippines, Taiwan..?

New commit is up.
Spoiler :
China can't trade away technologies it has a monopoly on
Strengthened Mongol spawn army in the 3000 BC scenario if the player is China

These two will make China in BC3000 scenerio very,very difficult to gain a Historical victory at the level of emperor,nearly impossible.May it be some fixed?I think the UP can be some buffed,such as -25% or 30% instead of -20%.Or turn the UP to -10% and cancel these two commits?

I've heard complaints that 3000 BC China has it too easy against Mongolia (iirc that was on Emperor even), and imo that makes sense because you have a lot of time to prepare, especially compared to 600 AD. It's really just some extra Keshiks anyway.

For the tech rate, I limited the trading to stop the UPs exponential snow ball effect (more monopolies -> more traded techs -> easier to get even more monopolies). There's no way of stopping this by a modification of the linear % modifier. I can increase it if it's necessary to counterbalance this change.

In general though, I prefer a balanced Monarch game to a playable Emperor game.

I think the no tech brokering for China is well-designed. I don't find it particularly difficult for China on Epic Emperor:

(1) A lot of new born civs have advanced techs. For example, China is free to trade Mathematics/Alphabet to India once the Romans spawn.

(2) All that this restriction does is to prevent China from spamming tech trade with civs that are about to collapse. For example, I usually trade all my techs to India one turn before the Mughals spawn. I also trade all my techs to Persia when they've been Unstable/Collapsing for about 10 turns. It's just too profitable.

Also, the additional spawn units for Japan is necessary. Now I need more than a few turns to wipe them out since they start with Samurai - but I have Amphibious Knights. :D

Do you think their additional defenders suffice?

By the way, release within the next two weeks might be possible, I'm only planning to move Arabia's start to 620 AD and finish the Dawn of Man texts.

Do you think their additional defenders suffice?
I suggest 4 Crossbows and 2~4 Samurai, and get rid of the Swordsmen and Archers altogether. As long as they're not pwned by mass Chokonus (LOL) it's fine. If China arrives with Amphibious Knights, it's only fair that they die.

Exactly.

Leoreth, with 1.8 immanent, I repeat my offer for help with the DoM texts.

In other news, I've been having quite a bit of fun with the new Ethiopia.

That's great to hear. I plan to release my drafts for them here once I have one for every civ so everyone can pick them apart, and of course I'll appreciate if you contribute your talent then.

For the tech rate, I limited the trading to stop the UPs exponential snow ball effect (more monopolies -> more traded techs -> easier to get even more monopolies). There's no way of stopping this by a modification of the linear % modifier. I can increase it if it's necessary to counterbalance this change.

In general though, I prefer a balanced Monarch game to a playable Emperor game.

For strengthened Mongolia,I also think it necessary.But in most Chinese players' opinion,Chinese emperor in bc3000 is writing>maths(by great scientist)>calendar>do some research in alphabet,then trade it by calendar from Rome,then trade sailing,pottery and so on from other countries.

Now because of this commit,this way will not work.And no sailing from Greece,no Great Lighthouse,and China's research will be very slow that about 20% or 30% on research bar.

Though a more balanced monarch is necessary,an emperor that not impossible to finish is also necessary.

So I think we can change Chinese UP to "no dark era" in next SVN,maybe not so balance,but...just try it...

I think the no tech brokering for China is well-designed. I don't find it particularly difficult for China on Epic Emperor:

(1) A lot of new born civs have advanced techs. For example, China is free to trade Mathematics/Alphabet to India once the Romans spawn.

(2) All that this restriction does is to prevent China from spamming tech trade with civs that are about to collapse. For example, I usually trade all my techs to India one turn before the Mughals spawn. I also trade all my techs to Persia when they've been Unstable/Collapsing for about 10 turns. It's just too profitable.

Also, the additional spawn units for Japan is necessary. Now I need more than a few turns to wipe them out since they start with Samurai - but I have Amphibious Knights. :D

Alphabet is too expensive in dark era,and since there is too many resources need calendar in China,calendar should be researched as soon as possible,if not so,the population growth in china will be very slow.

The more China is dissuaded from researching Alphabet, the better in my opinion.

Do you have concrete proposals to help China on Emperor?

It's intended to count (else I would've made 3 golden ages the goal but it's easier this way). I don't think UHV GAs cannot count because the code checks every turn if you're having a GA and increases its counter (8 turns of GA = 1 GA experienced), and there's no way of telling what caused your GA. Have you finished this GA yet? "Experience" means that you have to wait until it ends until it counts.

The more China is dissuaded from researching Alphabet, the better in my opinion.

Ja!It's obviously that AI China hardly research alphabet by itself.But for players' China,alphabet is so important,because China's research punishment is too high

Do you have concrete proposals to help China on Emperor?

In my opinion,the most important problem about China on Emperor is the research speed during dark era.So how about turn China's UP to"no dark era"?
In Chinese history,from Qin Dynasty to Sui Dynasty is not so dark,though there were also many wars in China,but a lot of technical achievements were gained during that era,such as paper and compass(Both in Han Dynasty),it's two of the four great inventions in ancient China.

It's intended to count (else I would've made 3 golden ages the goal but it's easier this way). I don't think UHV GAs cannot count because the code checks every turn if you're having a GA and increases its counter (8 turns of GA = 1 GA experienced), and there's no way of telling what caused your GA. Have you finished this GA yet? "Experience" means that you have to wait until it ends until it counts.

Is that means,if China has Mausoleum of Maussolos,it only needs 3 golden ages?(12*3=36>8*4=32)

Top Bottom