1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 20, 2011.

1. ales_

ales_ Heir

What has changed? I thought the core was always flipping.

2. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

Flip zones and cores are different for a while now. Yesterday I changed the rule that if civ A spawns, cities in the core of civ B won't flip.

This revision modified the rule so that cities in the core of civ B won't flip unless they are also in the core of civ A.

3. Leoreth

New commit:
    - economic growth and happiness stability increase/decrease slower when they are already in the high positives/negatives

4. ales_

ales_ Heir

So, if a civ spawns, it flips all the cities in its flip zone, except for cities in another civ's core, except for cities in this civ's core?

5. Leoreth

That is correct.

6. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

I thought cores were flip zones?

7. Leoreth

That has been changed recently, review Hippo's core area reform thread.

8. Daffy

Daffy Prince

Any ideas about changing the Portuguese UB (feitoria)?
    IIRC it replaces the customs house which comes a bit late IMO and is quite useless regarding any of their UHV goals
    In RFCE the feitoria was a harbor replacement, I think that might be more suitable for them, maybe giving a small production bonus (e.g. 2 additional hammers for the building, similar to catholic monasteries and so)

Furthermore I had brought up the topic of the settler maps vs city name maps in an older posting..
    Is their an intention to work on those two?
    It would be nice if the AI would only settle in places where they have historical names to give to the city..

I noticed a Spanish 'Murcia' on the location that should be later 'Chicago' for the Americans in my latest game playing turkey..

The Dutch also have a few spots in South America where they settle without proper naming (around Cape Horn, founding 's-Gravenhage there..)

And the British are somewhat off in Australia occasionally, founding 'Cambridge' north of the Sydney tile

9. Theodorick

Theodorick King

10. cudfather

cudfather Prince

Leoreth, please let Poland keep its Gdańsk. It is totally unhistorical, and it's like the third thread I'm saying this in. Prussia annexed Pomerania 100 years later than it flips in game. Also, the flip makes no sense whatsoever due to the lack of a Teutonic order: why would it flip? It had been Polish for 700 years straight. Once again, please change it so that Polish core can't flip.

@VGL: Don't make historical statements if you are not knowledgeable about said history. Poland was a sovereign state for over 800 years straight. Its territorial decline began in the 1770s. Also, it came to life again in the 20th century, but that's another matter.

11. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Thanks, Leoreth!

12. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Even though I agree with you, I can understand why he does this: Germany needs a strong head start. So it is not Prussia spawns, it's Germany for all intents and purposes.

Both goals can be achieved with independent Twangste (Koningsberg) or Duna Urbs (Riga) spawning before Holy Romans (and before Poland civ). This will generate some HRE, Viking, Polish activity in Baltic region. When Prussia/Germany arrives she can flip any Baltic city which might be Polish by then, excluding Gdansk. It would be nice to actually see East Prussian German enclave.

13. Leoreth

I've probably overlooked to adjust some parts of the flip rules for human flips.

Apply this reasoning to other flip situations and see where it gets you.

14. Grifguz

Grifguz Warlord

We could change the Prussian spawn date to be in conjunction with the First Partition of Poland, but that's a little ahistorical. We could also have Prussia flip zero cities, except for Koenigsberg and later, have set time for waging war against Austria (Confederacy of the Rhine) and Poland, sometime around 1800.

15. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

Is there a way to disable those expansion rating pop ups? I find them kind of distracting (especially when they're every turn) and I don't see what purpose they serve.

16. soul-breathing

soul-breathing King

Leo, does this commit "revised protection from flip rules: the core of a spawning civilization always flips" only make sense to AI spawning civilization? I have started America in the latest svn, and Detroit & St Louis in core area didn't flip to me, while Charleston in historical area flipped.

I have seen the posts before, does it means that "the cities in spawning civ's core area are not sure to flip" and "the cities that flips are not sure in the core area of the spawning civ"?

Attached Files:

17. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Detroit and St. Louis aren't part of the American flip zone.

18. Leoreth

They are a method for me to monitor the behavior of the stability mechanics. Disable cheat mode and they will disappear.

19. Leoreth

New commit:
    - new flip rules now apply to human city flips as well
    - no unit desertion during wars on spawn
    - Longbowmen now require Feudalism
    - Knights now require Guilds

20. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Great. The chariot->knight strategy now have to wait as usual.