Current (SVN) development discussion thread

I disagree with point 4.

A grassland tile provides the dame amount of food as a coastal tile. (Only without the commerce, but that can be added with cottages in even greater quantities) You can get cities with equal population with only grassland tiles. I don't see the point why a coastal city should be penalized and a grassland city isn't. Both cities will grows to the same size, but the coastal city is penalized, just because is works water tiles. In fact, grassland cities can buikd farms and cottages. The food and commerce output are even bigger for grassland cities.

Youtien could get the same population with grassland cities.

I may be good at this game, but I also rely on S/L and spoiling.

What if switch back to longbowman at feudalism, knights at guilds?

Or add a tech: blast furnace, 50% cost of engineering, for knights, and lower engineering cost to 50%.

Feudalism + Machinery for them instead? I agree that Knights are either too powerful or come too early.

I can feel the unit roster redesign coming closer and closer...

Quick fix for 1.12: Knights have -15% attacking cities - about even with fully fortified crossbows (8.5 v 8.7) in a city with a 20% defense bonus, you need siege if it has walls or significant culture.

Can I suggest some quick map changes please?

• Move wine in Sicily 1E, as that tile is often worthless as Carthage never develops it, and Rome doesn't control it.
• Add tea to Japan, because... out of all civilizations, they probably would have tea the most.
• The stone in Mexico and the mountain 1N of it should be switched to prevent a Mexican canal... plus it aesthetically looks better
• Please have Crete and Sardinia be improved in the 600AD map
• Make Jerusalem more desirable with a river that borders Jerusalem to the east and divides Syria from Lebanon. Would represent the fertile region of the Levant and the lakes

Historically Carthage was expanding in Sicily, so I find that Wine to be of the important sentimental value for Carthaginians :nono:. I have seen them settle Sicily actually!

I have seen them settle Sicily actually!

As have I, on more than a handful of occasions. In addition, in my experience, whenever Carthage doesn't settle Sicily, AI Rome usually founds a city on the Dye just south of Naples rather Naples itself, giving them control of the wine if Carthage loses the scripted war (which they usually do, in my experience).

Tibet has Lhasa as a city name if a city name is not found, but the Tibetan version (Rasa) is already the name of their capital. I think Lhasa should be removed from the list.

I can feel the unit roster redesign coming closer and closer...

Quick fix for 1.12: Knights have -15% attacking cities - about even with fully fortified crossbows (8.5 v 8.7) in a city with a 20% defense bonus, you need siege if it has walls or significant culture.

-15% may be not enough. In fact, horse can't climb walls.

Feudalism + Machinery for them instead? I agree that Knights are either too powerful or come too early.

Then Europeans can still rush it. Build 4-6 chariots(gift iron to others if you have), 0% research, upgrade to knights, and your neighbour is doomed.

I think this problem should be solved by adding a new tech, chilvalry. It enables Knights, and castle if engineering is already discovered. About what tech it requires, I'm in doubt. I think it should require civil service and theology.

I think this problem should be solved by adding a new tech, chilvalry. It enables Knights, and castle if engineering is already discovered. About what tech it requires, I'm in doubt. I think it should require civil service and theology.

I think guilds should also be avaliable after civil service, but this is not gameplay concern.

Any new tech makes tech leader stronger and no hope for guys behind. Even if I can't mass knights like now, there are always catapults, horse archers, swordsmen and crossbowmen. I would rush a civ , capture 4-5 cities and start research, then upgrade to knights, then I can sweep Europe again.

I never understood why the tech requirements for Knights and Longbows were switched anyway.

AI archers... :rolleyes:

There is a big part of the problem - without guilds AI builds archers instead of crossbows. Archers obsolete with Machinery and crossbows can upgrade into longbows for a very small amount of gold.

New commit:
- Temple of Solomon only appears in independent Jerusalem in 1200 BC
- cities are not flipped anymore if they are in the owner's core
- adjusted cores of Babylonia, Greece, Moors, America

New commit:
- Temple of Solomon only appears in independent Jerusalem in 1200 BC
- cities are not flipped anymore if they are in the owner's core

I think it's safe to say that many people have been waiting and dreaming about these two changes for a very long time since vanilla RFC.

Keep it up, Leoreth.

Top Bottom