1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to make Scotland and Ireland foreign for the British.

2. ales_

ales_ Heir

Yes, they should be at least historical.

3. youtien

youtien Lyricist

Now statesmen from palace is gone, courthouse should provide 2 statesmen slots, like library and market does.

4. char81

char81 Warlord

Scotland should definitely remain core, Ireland is good as historical. I still think it could be a good idea for a city to spawn in Scotland before the english spawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Vit20141012

Vit20141012 Chieftain

Creation of the uniform Union State of Great Britain happened in 1707 (Acts of Union). In 2014 there was a referendum on independence of Scotland.
    In 1949 Ireland was proclaimed the independent republic. It was declared a republic exit from the British Commonwealth.

6. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

As far as I know, Germany doesn't currently control the Congo, and the Netherlands doesn't control Indonesia or South Africa. Historical means just that. Historical. Not necessarily current. Not necessarily a happily ruled over region.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

^ my view on this.

8. citis

citis Deity

It seems a little problematic. This rule is to enforce player and AI recreate history on a degree. I suggest that historical area is the area you can settle. So historical and foreign tiles would be the same from stability perspective.

9. Leoreth

^ not my view on this

10. char81

char81 Warlord

For the purposes of this game it makes sense to keep Scotland core, there is no Scottish civ and Scotland has remained an integrate part of the UK for 300 years. Making Scotland historical or foreign would be like making Catalonia historical or foreign for Spain at this point. Ireland should remain historical, after all the British did control it for nearly 800 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. agentxorange

agentxorange Warlord

Aren't historical and foreign tiles, by definition, different from a stability perspective?

12. Leoreth

Yes, however they also have an impact on AI settlement. Under normal conditions, the AI will never settle on an ahistorical tile. I suppose citis was suggesting to untie this relationship.

13. youtien

youtien Lyricist

I agree the idea of untying. Maybe we can try this.

14. agentxorange

agentxorange Warlord

Why would we want the AI to settle ahistorical areas?

15. citis

citis Deity

We don't. Historicallity of a tile is measured by AI's willingness to settle that tile.

But yes I would like to see foreign and historical tiles be treated the same way for stability purposes. Obligating human to settle only in historical tiles is a good way to avoid exploitations in this scenario.

16. cudfather

cudfather Prince

Forbidding the player the freedom of choice when it comes to city settlement would radically narrow the scope of this mod, making it 'history-only'. There's loads of alternate-history buffs among DoC players, me included; don't kill our joy, especially since you have no gain from this (if you want to settle historically, nobody stops you from doing so).

17. agentxorange

agentxorange Warlord

That sounds very limiting and extremely problematic. None of the rules are in place to "enforce history" anyway. Why would we want to limit where the human (of all players) could settle?

I'm actually very confused as to why there is so much discussion about stability and historical tiles right now. Those mechanics do not need a rework.

18. Leoreth

Hey how about this, cities can only be founded at specific pre-selected plots. Better make sure they get founded at the right dates too so the pesky player won't get in the way. There'll just be a popup:

Code:
    Do you want to found Boston?

YES        HELL YES

19. agentxorange

agentxorange Warlord

You won't even have to build settlers anymore. You just obtain cities at specific dates. In fact, you don't even have to build military units anymore. You just flip cities at specific dates.

20. Leoreth

Yes, but a little cutscene plays narrated by Nathan Fillion or whatever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.