Current v1.13 Development Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought it very weird that
in enemy's water tiles, movements are not restricted to 1 or 2 tiles at a turn like land units. It makes unexpected amphibious attacks so easy that insular AIs have a hard time even with strong navy forces. Furthermore, defending water tile resources in our territory is so annoying especially when destroyers are out there.
It seems limited movements of water units in enemy's territory is much more realistic than the current system.

I've always thought it very weird that
in enemy's water tiles, movements are not restricted to 1 or 2 tiles at a turn like land units. It makes unexpected amphibious attacks so easy that insular AIs have a hard time even with strong navy forces. Furthermore, defending water tile resources in our territory is so annoying especially when destroyers are out there.
It seems limited movements of water units in enemy's territory is much more realistic than the current system.

It could be done with ZOC (Zone of Control) mechanic, which can be provided by patrol vessels. If you don't think it too complicated. CIV4 system has its limits.

So while playing the current SVN I noticed that the AIs are mostly unstable, especially from the Renaissance and later. It happened to me that there were only 6 civs alive in 1900! Good for the game speed, but certainly not realistic.

As we don't have any numbers about their stability I can only guess..... looking at the stability guide I think the AI suffers from those points:
- Open borders with stronger civs while running Mercantilism. The AI loves this civic, and it might accumulate alot of negative stability. Japan is a more stable civ, and they do not open borders for the most part.
- Same for Central planning opening borders with Free Market civs. The AI has no clue it's cutting its on flesh when opening borders.
- Bad civic combos. For a human player, it is clear that certain civic combos are bad. But the AI it seems is a bit random, or values certain things alot (Mercantilism). Plus, the favorite civic of the leader is always chosen? That means the AI has a lot of minus from bad combos plus minus from choosing outdated civics - I think this is the main factor.

Maybe a solution would be to dampen (civic) stability effects for the AI ?

That seems to be a reasonable solution.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a mod with Great Statesmen (or a similar new GP type) where the unit art was exclusively female, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know?

I'm pretty sure I've seen a mod with Great Statesmen (or a similar new GP type) where the unit art was exclusively female, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know?

I could only find ones that suit the female GS for colonial times:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=16517

Other great people:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14749

Why limit females to great people? Here is art for missionaries:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14863

And ancient spy:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13330

Thanks.

I'm focusing mainly on great people names at the moment, and the unit art is just a consequence of the representation of female GPs. I couldn't say right now what to base differently gendered appearances for other units on.

Game report on 600 AD Italian, monarch/epic:

1. Now Florenzia starts at 7 pop and a lot of buildings, good.
2. Flipped French Venice and got 2 precious knights.
3. Captured indy Rome with initial army.
4. French iron was not mined, maybe destroyed earlier, and I gave them no chance to rebuild.
5. Captured Marseilles and Franks collapsed several turns later when I siege Bordeaux.
6. Captured Bordeaux and Paris. Got dye.
7. Captured Cordoba while Moors fighting Spanish, it has La Mezquita and University of Sankore.
8. Researched drama-music-patronage (got the great artist) - banking(partially bulbed with GM), bought divine rights from Mali.
9. Vassalized Spanish after I conquered Barcelona and Madrid.
10. Captured Tripoli and then Egypt (fought Baibers)
11. Captured indy Jerusalem and Mongol Baghdad.
12. Built patronage wonders.
13. Researched Printing press, liberalism bulbed constitution. Switched to secularism and built the Red Fort in Florenzia, Taj Mahal in Rome.
14. Attacked Turks along with Russians after I researched chemistry. Got 65% of Mediterreans in 1592.
15. Got 3 cities with 7500 culture in 1596 - Florenzia and Rome on their own (there was one turn I switched to 100% culture), Venice with a great artist produce great work. UHV win.

Italy is an amusing civ, it fits city states most. Great people provides food and food generates GP, great generals too. I didn't manage to get a great spy but I'll settle it if I got one. My economics stayed healthy even with 15 cities thanks to guilds, holy cities and the Spiral Minaret. Key points are luxury resources and horse. I'm lucky that I got a weak France in this game, normally they are strong.

Indonesia 600 AD general strategy:

1. Patliputra and Delhi is crucial.
2. Conquer Khmer, Angkor produce units.
3. Research/buy alphabet, spam spies to China, steal all you can, you'll eventually get a great spy, he will let you catch up with China.
4. Settle Melbourne & Sydney early. Forget Indonesia other than 3 cities in core.
5. Research optics, you can get both conqueror events.

New commit: WARNING: this revision breaks savegame compatibility.
- added female Great People art
- inflation is not recalculated on city conquest anymore
- removed cap on number of cities maintenance
- AI civic stability penalties halved

France get a conqueror event on an area marked as Foreign Core for them (South India). Isn't this a little... odd?

They only controlled very minor strips of land in the region, but I guess a contested tile wouldn't be so out of place here.

France should really get their trading company conquerors in SE India, where they actually had some substantial control for a while. That place is also historical for them ingame, IIRC.

New commit: WARNING: this revision breaks savegame compatibility.
- added female Great People art
- inflation is not recalculated on city conquest anymore
- removed cap on number of cities maintenance
- AI civic stability penalties halved

Big buff for mega imperialist! Also added some difficulty conquering AI.

Is it? The cap on city maintenance was fairly generous.

I should note than in recent revisions, Rome collapses most of the time some turns after it collapses Greece due to lost cities (around 200+ AD). This prevents the Byzantine spawn consequently, it being a conditional spawn based on the existence (and stability) of Rome. At first I thought it was because the Celts almost always conquers Mediolanum, but when I intervened through WB, Rome was still unstable by the Rome-Carthage war event. I still haven't tried a game on the newest revision though; will update once I get to play one. :D

Had to point this one out because the early medieval world really is a different scene without the Byzantines around. (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom