1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Customizable Domestic Advisor - comments welcome

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Mod Components' started by Taelis, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Cammagno

Cammagno King

Ok, the problem is that if you have in your custom assests dir a file which refers to another file that isn't there (because you have deleted it) or that is not made as it was supposed to be (because you have overwritten it with another one), you'll get an error or some strange effects, like blank pages etc.
    So, if you already have at least one mod and you want to install another one, you'll have to pay attention: if some of the files of the new mod have the same name and location of some of the file of the old one, you can't simply overwrite the old ones with the new ones, but you have to merge them (I've posted in various threads my merged files for the most common "unaltered gameplay mods"). Of course if the 2 files are identical, you don't have to merge anything.
    On the other hand, if you want to replace a mod with a new version, or with a different version made by some other guy, before installing the new one you'll have to delete all the files of the old version, but the ones that are in common with other mods. "In common" means that two mods use the SAME files, not a merged one. If the old version needed a merged file, you'll probably have to overwrite it with the original file from the other mod and leave it there or merge it with the new file, depending on the circumstances (if the new version has or has not a file with that name, and if that file is the same or is different from the file of the old version).
    If you don't do in this manner, you'll be lucky and have no probglem (if the two mods have no file with the same name or if they have in common the same file), but you have a big chance of getting a loading error, or some strange effect, or to loose some function of the mod.

I was in the same situation when I changed from MSDA to CDA. You simply have to delete all the MSDA files which aren't in common with another mod, check if there is some MSDA files that you have previously merged with some other mod (in this case you have to replace them with the original files from the other mod) and finally install the CDA file. It worked fine for me.

2. jray

jray King

FYI, I'm getting this crash:

fairly often now whenever I have 21 or more cities. It crashes upon simply opening up the advisor, and sometimes it crashes even after it has opened successfully at least once in the current gaming session. It doesn't require the pressing of any buttons, and I don't even use the city zoom.

Hopefully Firaxis will fix this in the next patch! In the meantime I've made up my own play mode, the "20 City Challenge" where I don't let myself get 21 cities :cool:.

3. jray

jray King

Oops, sorry-- double post.

4. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Hope it works with the new patch!

5. Elhoim

Anyone up to it? This is the best Domestic Advisor out there, as it is customizable, it´s fast and have a great look. The only problem is the c++ crash when there are 20+ cities, if anyone can fix it, it would be great! THX!

6. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

Can this be used for v1.61?

7. Elhoim

Yes, I´m using it right now. I fear for it´s compatibility (?) with warlords...

8. Elhoim

Well, is somewhat compatible, but it has lost some of its features in the transition. It would be nice if someone could pick this mod up...

9. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

10. Ket

Ket Composite Of A Composite

I know I PM'd the error already, but I think all that is wrong is that the art define for the widget and the graphic is missing.

11. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

Nope, that's not the problem. You didn't merge in the modded C++ code into your own DLL or you didn't use the DLL provided.

12. Ket

I'll try a re-merge, merged it.... Will double check...

13. Ket

HAHAHA Ok I'm a moron....

// < CDA Start >
    .value("WIDGET_ZOOM_CITY_CDA", WIDGET_ZOOM_CITY_CDA)
    // < CDA End >
    .value("NUM_WIDGET_TYPES", NUM_WIDGET_TYPES)
    ;
    Forgot to merge cyenumsinterface.cpp

Ok...
    ok....
    geeze i feel dumb...

14. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Is there no way to have the domestic advisor without the dll? It doesn't seem to be compatible with the great generals for barbarians mod. :/

15. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

You need to merge the C++ source files and rebuild the DLL to get them both to work together correctly.

16. Thornburgh

Thornburgh Chieftain

This is a very nice mod.

However, it has one problem: if you sort by production (or other) and then change the production for one city from the domestic advisor, it goes back to the default sort.

This is unfortunate because I like to build factories or expensive units in my most productive cities (or universities in my best science cities, etc.), so I need them to stay sorted while I work through the list. It's annoying to have to keep resorting.

The default domestic advisor has this same problem. However, the special advisor and modified special advisor mods avoid the problem (though I like this one better for other reasons).

Any chance of fixing?

Thanks!

17. Thornburgh

Thornburgh Chieftain

I've also now gotten to the crash with 21 cities (especially if I use the domestic advisor to change production, which is its best use). I get the 6025 error.

I'm using 1.61.

Is this possibly fixed in Warlords with its never version of the mod?

I really like this mod, but it's not useable in the endgame.

BTW, I noticed modified special domestic advisor also crashes with 21 cities when you change production. Same R6025 error.

18. Thornburgh

Thornburgh Chieftain

The Warlords version of this mod doesn't work with 2.08. Any chance of a fix? Thanks for the hard work.