Czech Nation for Civ IV

Good work...
I offer some help with translation/description.

Couple of comments:
- I think that combo philosophical/industrial fits better for TGM.
- Charles IV. is really perfect :)
- Is it possible to paint the "red chalice" on the armor of hussites? (sry if the question is stupid- I'm a newbie in civ mods...)

- Have you thought about creation of an additional "dark age" version of Czechs with following leaders?
Premysl Otakar (Ottokar) II. - as already mentioned above
aggressive/financial?

Samo (Saamo, Samuel), the Merchant - approx. 600?-650? AD, the first documented Czech (or, more generally, middle-european Slavs) leader
? (something with military)/financial
see for example: (CZECH ONLY, sorry):
http://www.libri.cz/databaze/kdo18/list.php?od=s&start=1&count=20
http://jhspecial.webpark.cz/samo.htm

EDIT:
Heh, I forgot wikipedia :blush:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samo

additional candidate: Saint Wenceslas

UU would be modified axemen or swordsmen with some bonuses against mounted...

Rshu said:
Ah, the Hussites. My favorite Protestant rebels. I think that they should get 50% defense from infantry because they hid in wagons while bombarding their enemies with crossbows, muskets, and cannons. I have a few pictures of the shield if anybody needs them. http://www.allempires.com/articles/hussite/infantry.jpg and http://www.allempires.com/articles/hussite/wagon_c.jpg

Yes, it is true, but there is one problem - they didn´t defend only they attacked too and captured many towns. They are very cheap in game and you don´t need any resources because they were folk warriors and made their weapons themselves from agricultural implements. It would be over strong unit if we use every aspect of Hussites. Maybe I´ll add some small defensive bonuses and decrease general bonuses in the next version.

Orm said:
Good work...
I offer some help with translation/description.

Couple of comments:
- I think that combo philosophical/industrial fits better for TGM.
- Charles IV. is really perfect
- Is it possible to paint the "red chalice" on the armor of hussites? (sry if the question is stupid- I'm a newbie in civ mods...)

- Have you thought about creation of an additional "dark age" version of Czechs with following leaders?
Premysl Otakar (Ottokar) II. - as already mentioned above
aggressive/financial?

Samo (Saamo, Samuel), the Merchant - approx. 600?-650? AD, the first documented Czech (or, more generally, middle-european Slavs) leader
? (something with military)/financial

additional candidate: Saint Wenceslas

Thanks for your offer, I don´t have enought time (I´m student and we write many tests now) and I didn´t play Civ for about month :cry: . Maybe I´ll start to work on the next version of Czechs in a week or two.

About your comments:
- Yes, philosophical/industrious is better for Masaryk personally but for Czechoslovakia at the time of his rule there is no better traits than industrious/financial I think.
- Red chalice on the armor of hussites is possible - it´s about textures only (and my time:D ).
- I´ve thought about:
Premysl Otakar II. - as Expansive/Financial
John Zizka of Trocnov - as Aggressive/Spiritual
Klement Gottwald - as Aggressive?/Industrious
I think Samo was leader of Slavs on our territory maybe but he could be also leader of non-Slavs in Austria. About st. Wenceslas - his brother Boleslav was much more important for Czech state, I think, Wenceslas is important only because he is saint and patron of Czechs but he can be added too.

Hi

about additional leaders...
Premysl Otakar II. - as Expansive/Financial - perfect
John Zizka of Trocnov - as Aggressive/Spiritual - absolutely perfect :goodjob:

Klement Gottwald - as Aggressive?/Industrious - do you really plan to create such a creature? :eek:

Samo, Venceslas and others - It would be probably better not to overload it - 4 leaders is more than enough and I agree that Samo is very debatable...

... and I'd like to ask some "none-czechs" - does anyone other (or, at least, anyone ;) ) appear in your mind if someone says: "Historical Czech leader"?

about hussites...
Looking forward to red chalices :)

Good luck in the tests-time

BORNAparte said:
Yes, it is true, but there is one problem - they didn´t defend only they attacked too and captured many towns. They are very cheap in game and you don´t need any resources because they were folk warriors and made their weapons themselves from agricultural implements. It would be over strong unit if we use every aspect of Hussites. Maybe I´ll add some small defensive bonuses and decrease general bonuses in the next version.
I agree with the fact that they should not be a combined unit. However, it would be a good idea to add small defense bonuses.

I think maybe philosophical trait from Klement "Kléma" Gottwald would fit better :lol: but only if you REALLY think about it :vomit:

And yes The Hussite unit is the best choise and your stats describe them well :goodjob:. I do not know if it is possible, but upgrade them to musketman can be cool and not so far from reality :mischief:

Thanks and live in interisting times :p

Hi, thank you for our nation. :cool:
I have to say that Hussites saved my life in my first game I started 2 days ago (noob I am :)), when Russians declared war on me and attacked with large army of elephant riders/swordsman. :goodjob:

Though I would like to have a small improvement in City names. Prague -> Praha. (I guess I will take a look if it can be edited easily somewhere in the mod files. Maybe I can even add czech national-specific characters, which I would like to have...)

And I regret that I didn't realize that the new graphic improvement was made. Now all my Hussites are already upgraded to Infantry. :(

Tak ještě jednou - díky.

I think that Otakar I was more important for Czech nations then Otakar II but Otakar II is more famous. Otakar II was the important king of the Austria.

mezcal: I think Premysl Ottokar I. was very powerful and important for Czechs (he was a good diplomat and the first really hereditary king of Bohemia) but his grandson Premysl Ottokar II. was more important.
Hrus: In czech version (this mod will be contained in czech translation by Sushi) will be Praha but for english version is Prague better.

Now I'm working on the new version that contain in addition Premysl Ottokar II., John Zizka of Trocnov and Klement Gottwald. About Gottwald: I'm not communist but I think he was significant for Czech history - significant not useful. We can't be silent about czech communistic epoch and communistic crimes.

BORNAparte said:
mezcal: John Zizka of Trocnov and Klement Gottwald. About Gottwald: I'm not communist but I think he was significant for Czech history - significant not useful. We can't be silent about czech communistic epoch and communistic crimes.

Hm If you want evil communist leader, well. But I dont see arguments good. Gottwald didnt make nothing good. In his era we decreased in culture, lost diplomatical independence and lost areas to Soviet Union. Even he wasnt in contact with people and was often drunken. He had much charisma before he catched office, but when he started leading, people started hate him. General Ludvík Svoboda had also charisma and was brave or Antonín Zapotocký was popular when he got presidents office after Klement. Novotný was typical communist without charisma, but in his era was more liberty and he was in his office longest, and to more, he liked Czechs more than Slovaks, so he was unique...
But primarily, I think that in the world most famous Czech leader in modern era is Václav Havel and secondary, he was Czech President, not only Czechoslovak.

Jan Zizka z Trocnova was more military leader, but his portrait may be nice;-)

BORNAparte, please don't add Gottwald... yes, we can't be silent about our communist history but the leaders should be not only significant persons as you write but also persons who did something for developing of their countries... REDY is right, Gottwald really wasn't such leader...

Alexander Dubček insteed of Gottwald

Organized and Philosophical Favors Free Speech or should he be saved for a Slovak mod ?

I didn't try this new Civ, however I am Czech, so I'd like to post few comments:

Hussites were NOT just recruited farmers and villagers. The core of the hussite army was made of trained professionals and veterans (possibly trained recruits). They needed copper or iron to, you can't beat a knight without some heavy metal! :)

I think the main advantage of Hussites was their tactics and discipline. I agree with Rshu, the Hussite unit consisted of few footmen, crossbowmen or riflemen (Hussites were one of the first armies incorporating gunpowder!) AND the battle wagons. I think that defensive bonuses give a better picture of Hussite soldiers. If it is possible, I would change one footman to crossbowman in the 3-man unit in Civ and add a wagon. The bonuses should look like this: +25% when defending outside Forest, free Drill I promotion, and the usual Maceman bonuses.

I don't think it is important to add more leaders to Czech Civ. Charles IV and TGM are pretty good choice. However I would consider Charles IV to be Philosophical + Industrious or Creative + Industrious. He was a great builder (Prague Castle Area, Karlstejn, Charles bridge, New Quarter, St.Vitus Cathedral, The University and much more were founder during his reign). If you compare Charles IV. to Rudolf II., Rudolf was much more like Philosophical and Creative (he sposored many Great "Scientists" and artists).

Totaly agree with REDY, Gotwald was a comunist leader and shouldn´t be the representative of our nation - I would replace him with V. Havel.... But on the other side - great job for including Czech nation to Civ IV (skvělá práce :)

Totaly agree with REDY, Gotwald was a comunist leader and shouldn´t be the representative of our nation - I would replace him with V. Havel.... But on the other side - great job for including Czech nation to Civ IV (skvělá práce :)

REDY's comments are 2 years old. :)

There is a Czech-Slovak Empire in CIV Gold you may want to check out. Maseryk is the leader.

Top Bottom