DaNES II: When the Stars Fall

I'd like to join as Raja Polavira of the Ganga Empire, if you don't mind.

Dachs, do "in thread" stories impact updates, or should such things be included as part of orders to be effective?

Dachs, the second post of stats appears to have disappeared entirely.
Whoops. Restoring!
Dachs isn't really the type to give commentary on orders. Except in the update. PMing questions before you send orders would probably be a wiser choice for the future.
This is accurate. That said, I would also prefer that people not totally screw up immediately due to a lack of knowledge about the setting and expectations and whatnot...sooo...
I'd like to join as Raja Polavira of the Ganga Empire, if you don't mind.
Go for it. Need any information?
Dachs, do "in thread" stories impact updates, or should such things be included as part of orders to be effective?
I recommend mentioning in-thread stories that include initiatives in your orders, i.e. "build a fancy-pants temple to Susano-o-no-Mikoto as discussed in this story" with the story ideally linked. If the story is sufficiently awesome and if I am not too pressed for time when update-writing, I'll do my best to include at least some of it.

To: The Patalene League

Greetings fellow Hellenes. We would like to establish contact with you as brothers in Sophism and support the light of the true faith. Our Ierophantes based out of Baktra is your protector in faith, and all those of the East. Are you willing to pay homage to your leader in faith, and aid him in establishing a great cathedral in Baktra? When you establish proper ties between our lands through a gift to our Ierophantes, we are willing to appoint a sub-Ierophantes to your lands, owing to the great distances between us.

OOC: No division at all of church and state?

The Basileus of Areia, as the Patalene League's ally, makes it clear that he has no objection or right to object whatsoever to what the Baktrian Basileus proposes.

I'm wincing at the word cathedral. But it's only the fault of Bill and I for not establishing a proper Sophist lexicon. We will get to work on this ASAP.

OOC: You know... I could/should/want to help develop the lexicon too...

It's nice to have wants.

@spryllino: Only about as much division between church and state as you would see in, let's say, Eastern Christianity.

I'm leaning towards arxiereus [ἀρχιερεύς] as a term for a "chief-priest" with local or regional authority; mostly due to the supposed dialogue with Judaism in the 1st century. They'd probably be assigned by the Ierophantes to major poleis and have responsibility for all the leitors in the city and surrounding area.

So the traditional Sophist hierarchy would be: Leitor [of some specific temple in Syrakousai], -> Arxiereus [for the whole city of Syrakousai] -> Ierophantes/Axios [for the whole of Sikilia and Italia]

ok, arxiereus it is.

Owen, if you asked me specific questions, that would probably help. :p

Thlayli, the transliteration I've been consistently using in this thread would make that word archiereus. I won't ignore any use of alternate transliterations, but I'd get kinda annoyed.

I've already broken down the Qypchaqs loosely, albeit in another venue, but here's a reconstruction, plus the Ganga factions that Kraz shouldn't care about but which need to be available anyway:

Ulug Qypchaq: basically the leader's faction. Means "Great Qypchaq". Tend to go along with the current leader's policies.
Ashina yabghu: the yabghu of the Ashina, who are basically Gokturks. He favors the incorporation of more Turkic groups under his control. Actually, all of the yabghus favor the incorporation of more guys under their control, and an increase in their ability to plunder etc. to pay for all of that too. That covers a lot of the motivations of most of these groups. Also they just joined up from the Mazsakata and want to beat up on them for Old Times' Sake.
Xazarlar yabghu: the yabghu of the Xazarlar, who are basically Khazars. They are mostly concentrated in the east and in Fergana. They mostly want to make sure they have control over the Altai iron mines atm. The yabghu is personally at odds with the Ashina yabghu.
Khamnigan yabghu: the yabghu of the Khamnigan, who are a Tungusic group. They don't have the luxury of well defined interests cause they are not particularly strong. They don't really like the Xazarlar though.
Peçenekler yabghu: this guy is basically in charge of Pechenegs. They are pretty powerful and independent-minded and are really only in the confederacy by military necessity, not choice. They'll probably try to break free eventually. Poor interpersonal relationships with the qagan.

Royal court: is the royal court. Right now they're basically in favor of peacing out with the Chola. Possibly for some kind of gain.
Pandya: a Tamil-speaking group, mostly on the southern part of the borders with the Chola. Mostly a trading group, currently support peace with the Chola in some form.
Melizigara: port in northern Ganga territory. Generally dislikes the Patalans, esp. the inhabitants of Surastrene and the Barygazan traders. Currently happy about no longer being under siege by the Chola. Also represents general mercantile opinion in the Ganga part of Konkan.
Muziris: port in southern Ganga territory. Also represents general mercantile opinion on the Malabar Coast.
Alupas: Minor feudatory dynasty ruling over part of Karnataka.

Frankly if you can't figure out what the Kappadokian factions mean or want, I doubt it'd help to spell things out to you.

Well, to start with:

Can you provide descriptions of the factions in my nation. (Never mind, you already did it!)

How much actual executive power do I have in a decentralized aristocratic monarchy

What's the situation on trade in my kingdom, how much does it contribute to my economy, where does most of the trade come from.

Any of those would help immensely, for now.

How much actual executive power do I have in a decentralized aristocratic monarchy
Limited! :p You're mostly there to patronize religious establishments and direct wars, and warfighting ends up being a consensus-building exercise as much as anything else. You also have limited control over trade policy - very limited, though.
Owen Glyndwr said:
What's the situation on trade in my kingdom, how much does it contribute to my economy, where does most of the trade come from.
You get trade from all over! Contacts exist with the Southeast Asian groups that haven't formed polities that we care about, Aksum, that vague monster in Indonesia, and the Greek and Hellenoarabic peeps in the Gulf. You tend to rival the Cholas and the Patalans for trade reasons as much as cultural and geopolitical ones. The Malabar coast's most famous export is probably that sexy black pepper, but there's all sorts of other fun stuff going through the area. For example, you get lots of horses from the Seleukids and Areians because you don't have enough to sustain your armies domestically.

Sure.

Top Bottom