DCL evolution and proposition

1. We're on #27. There are 43 unique civs. Some way to go yet ;)

OK, fine but you know that time flies so fast and the end of summer will be here in no time :) So it is still something to consider. And sure, there are still interesting civs left to play.

he Genghis Khan campaign was fun.
In fact, I remember now that you could get Indirect Fire on Keshiks in those 100 allowed turns because Khan heals them, and they just keep shooting stuff. I think I would have range, logistics, accuracy, barrage, indirect fire on those Keshiks coming to Constantinople, so they were basically artillery. :lol:

I know i'm probably in a minority but i would like to play and compare DCL on epic speed.

It might be to easy for most people posting here but it would help those struggling with dom games. And the reduced difficulty might help those immortal players willing to try out deity.

I'm not against the odd game being played on Epic, but it takes so much adjustment for me. Benchmarks are so hard to convert for people like me with poor mental arithmetic.

I'm not against the odd game being played on Epic, but it takes so much adjustment for me. Benchmarks are so hard to convert for people like me with poor mental arithmetic.

I'd rather play huge (or at least large) maps in that case. That is less adjustment but still different tactics.

But I guess we don't do them because people have laggy computers? :confused:

I dont think slower speeds larger maps should be posted as part of the regular series, but I think they are OK for a stand alone challenge.

I would be interested in a large contients map with naval civ, epic speed. Soemthing that really captures the thrill of exploration...

Or America. of course, its a larger time investment.

I've been talking about doing a Deity LP for the Ottomans. What if I make a standalone challenge?

Ottomans/Large/Epic ?

@Consentient
What about Ottomans/standard map/epic pace?
The reason behind this is that we will potentially see a bit more action with the janissary :D,since large map will drag you into some modern warfare,and standard can probably be finished be4 or in industrial//

I'd rather play huge (or at least large) maps in that case. That is less adjustment but still different tactics.

But I guess we don't do them because people have laggy computers? :confused:

That and it also decreases the difficulty, by a lot, so implementing a single change which effectively makes a DCL an ICL doesn't seem justified.

I'd probably be fine with one (or even few) DCLs on slower pace as the early stages are over way too fast as the game is now but I'm not sure what purpose would this change serve from DCL's pov.

Quote: I'd rather play huge (or at least large) maps in that case. That is less adjustment but still different tactics.
But I guess we don't do them because people have laggy computers?

I'm not familiar with huge maps on deity but i guess it raises the difficulty.
At least for stopping runaways like Korea, or the ever expanding civs like rome or the iroquois.
Dom games might be challenging on huge maps.

Quote: I've been talking about doing a Deity LP for the Ottomans. What if I make a standalone challenge?
Ottomans/Large/Epic ?

That sounds awesome.

It's not about the size of the map but the # of units as the main cause for slowness. Obviously without changing anything else the number of units increases with the map size.

To combat against this inevitability one can while using a larger map drop the number of civs, use high sea lvl and increase the number of CSs. The CSs may have quite a lot units but their pathing is simplified and they break 4-tile settling pattern which eventually (usually) leads to fewer cities.

It's not about the size of the map but the # of units as the main cause for slowness.
You can fit more units on a larger map tho :p shaka disagrees ^^

Also more cities do slow a bit,as you noted later yourself,and w/o your special conditions, more room for everyone,should eventually lead to a slower victory(if going Dom ofc,which is the subject as we speak:) )

Hi guys. Been off civ for a few weeks. Let me give my tuppenceworth.

In general variety is important I think. But what I've most enjoyed are games that are harder than average.

I really don't enjoy the modded/edited or whatever the word is maps. They should be a variety of challenging maps.

I personally would enjoy more if there was more of a competitive nature. Like there could be different challenges (bronze, silver and gold) so that different players could have different challenges depending on their abilities. There could also be a gentleman's rule that you can't reload, and you have to finish within a certain timeframe (e.g. before the next DCL comes out). Just my opinion.

Regardless, I really appreciate you guys arranging it, it makes civ so much more fun and rewarding.

I know i'm probably in a minority but i would like to play and compare DCL on epic speed.

It might be to easy for most people posting here but it would help those struggling with dom games. And the reduced difficulty might help those immortal players willing to try out deity.

I'm not sure about the immortal argument. The DCL has already offered maps that are easily accessible for immortal players I'd think. And the easy map each months will be aimed towards player wanting to make the transition.

At the risk of incurring Consentient's wrath, i am with Manpanzee, some sort of recommended VC would motivate me to play. Not only I like the competition, but with a recommended VC I can also learn better, as it will allow me to focus on the posts that I am interested in.

I'm not sure about the immortal argument. The DCL has already offered maps that are easily accessible for immortal players I'd think. And the easy map each months will be aimed towards player wanting to make the transition.

Fair point and posting 3 maps with a different difficulty is i.m.o. an excellent idea for the future of DCL.

Anyways, consentient already posted a standalone map for epic speed.
For those that are interested: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546780

One interesting challenge would be fastest domination when civs are positioned in certain way. Like this player on left side. Then closest neighbours could be aztecs/greece/persia cos they have early unique units. Then next neighours could be zulu/denmark then america/spain/ottomans for example.

Top Bottom