[R&F] December Update Video Thread

First thought I had when "Waltzing Matilda" started playing in the background when showing off the CS picker. "Boy, I bet Z is loving this video."
It was fine: it wasn't the version with the didgeridoos. :p I have nothing against "Waltzing Matilda"; I just really, really dislike the didgeridoo. I'm sure it's a lovely instrument; it just makes me very uncomfortable--like queasy stomach and tingling spine uncomfortable. :(

I wonder if a mod to reduce city and wall strength (likely significantly) would lead to a more exciting game.

IIRC there are mods to do this, as well as people try to alter the game files to reduce the wall strength -50%. It does result in a much more dynamic game.

This is my favorite update yet. I've been needing a city state picker for years. No more rolling a coastal civ like Indonesia and unfortunately not having Auckland in the game.

The other long-time wish coming true for me is the rebalance of policy cards. Rationalism deserves that nerf since there's never a reason to NOT pick it. And I never picked the Great people cards but now I'm gonna consider them. All and all, a fantastic update.
Rationalism deserves a nerf, but also picking Babylon is a good way to avoid having to use Rationalism/Natural Philosophy :p

I will also like using the CS picker. Not sure if there are any particular CSes that I'll be removing anytime soon, but having the option is great.

Looking forward to seeing more changes to the policy cards!

It was fine: it wasn't the version with the didgeridoos. :p I have nothing against "Waltzing Matilda"; I just really, really dislike the didgeridoo. I'm sure it's a lovely instrument; it just makes me very uncomfortable--like queasy stomach and tingling spine uncomfortable. :(

Back in med school, the dude in the apartment above me owned a didgeridoo. Which he liked to practice.

At 3 AM.

I got very, very little sleep that year.

I really like the CS picker. As has been noted some of the CS are so game changing that they really open up a range of novel gameplay options. Having more control over them is awesome.

Sadface however at the inadvertent buff to babylon by making eurekas easier. It seems like firaxis' development cycle means they approach balance issues a couple of patches after release? So assuming hey do, we maybe have a bit of a wait before anything there gets fixed. Fingers crossed anyway.

IIRC there are mods to do this, as well as people try to alter the game files to reduce the wall strength -50%. It does result in a much more dynamic game.
My quick search in the workshop didn't find it. I'll have to give it another look. Do I take it the second part cant be found in the workshop?

My quick search in the workshop didn't find it. I'll have to give it another look. Do I take it the second part cant be found in the workshop?

If my memory served me right these are the mods came to my mind:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1722044477
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1716320268
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1670520061

There should also be a fairly new mod doing this, I have seen it on my Workshop mainpage once in the recent months, but cannot find it now.

Being unable to move and shoot with catapults hurts the AI more than the human player. Perhaps they could change that instead of reducing wall strength.
Personally, I'm okay with move+shoot being a promotion. It is a nice strategy and fun tactically to work out. My problem is that they get wrecked by absolutely everything. Maybe some resistance to ranged attacks, even if it meant an increased vulnerability to melee. Now you really would have that classic idea of a city besieged in the first ring with no way for melee units to get to that catapult in the second ring. It's just the "melting when anything looks at it" that bugs.

I'm pretty pumped about the city state picker. I didn't look very closely, but the description sounded like it would be similar to the natural wonder picker, in that you can select a smaller list that the ones in the game would then be randomly selected from. Is that accurate? I was sort of holding out hope for a system where you could select 'yes, no, or maybe' for each city state, since there are some that I would absolutely want in my game (as someone mentioned, like Auckland for a coastal game), but then would be fine still having the rest be randomized. But either way it's a welcome addition.

Personally, I'm okay with move+shoot being a promotion. It is a nice strategy and fun tactically to work out. My problem is that they get wrecked by absolutely everything. Maybe some resistance to ranged attacks, even if it meant an increased vulnerability to melee. Now you really would have that classic idea of a city besieged in the first ring with no way for melee units to get to that catapult in the second ring. It's just the "melting when anything looks at it" that bugs.
Alternatively, someone also suggested a while back that once a city was under siege, its range attack range should be increased to 1 to reflect the fact that the defender can no longer make attack raids out of the city when it is under siege, which I think is a great idea. This would obviously help catapults a lot.

I'm pretty pumped about the city state picker. I didn't look very closely, but the description sounded like it would be similar to the natural wonder picker, in that you can select a smaller list that the ones in the game would then be randomly selected from. Is that accurate? I was sort of holding out hope for a system where you could select 'yes, no, or maybe' for each city state, since there are some that I would absolutely want in my game (as someone mentioned, like Auckland for a coastal game), but then would be fine still having the rest be randomized. But either way it's a welcome addition.
Yes, from how I saw it, you mark which ones are valid picks. If you mark more valid options than desired city states, the game will randomly choose from this set. Downside is you can't lock some and leave some random, so you'll have to make do with either some randomness or make the draw yourself manually.

I still like the randomnesss that you don't know what you're going to get when you roll a game, but I can see why people want the CS picker and it's a good add.
It allows you to have some certainty in your Civ games about which City-States you get, while also leaving a nice flavor of random surprise. :)

I still like the randomnesss that you don't know what you're going to get when you roll a game, but I can see why people want the CS picker and it's a good add.

I do wish that on both it and the wonder picker that they let you save the config. I'd find it more useful if I could simply permanently remove some natural wonders (or city-states) and have that persist.

Or if there was a "Yes/No/Maybe" option. Could definitely imagine wanting to, say, force include one or two CS that you know you want available, but then not care about the others.

Or if there was a "Yes/No/Maybe" option. Could definitely imagine wanting to, say, force include one or two CS that you know you want available, but then not care about the others.
I've never used YnAEMP's city-state picker, but I believe they have this.

If you pick fewer city states than the minimum for your game, then it should generate random ones to fill out the rest. That's how it seemed to work in the preview video.

I'd like to be able to say "minimum two science city states, minimum two faith city states, etc.". Then, I could ensure a good distribution, but still be surprised about which ones I actually get.

"Stop asking me again" is an old "function" but new to this iteration of civ, and I love it. Razing capital cities is already in the game, not well implemented but it is. AI razes capitals and city states like... very fast razor.

Top Bottom