[R&F] December Update Video Thread

A STOP ASKING ME BUTTON
I wonder how it will work - will it stop all advances from that particular AI, including agenda based comments about the size of my income or army, for example? And for how long, indefinitely?

Won't it bug out into AI not being able to surprise DOW due to inability to communicate? That would be hilarious :)

What if I change my mind later and want to accept their embassy for more DF? What do I do, can I say 'sorry' and maybe send a small gift?

Or will this button be associated just with the demand in question, for example, to stop them from demanding some gpt now and again? That would be my first use of this button, I might as well go as far as altering the text in the game files to something ending in "...OFF!"

But then again, would it not be better for the gameplay to add some sense to those demands and some real impact for accepting or refusing them?

I'm ready for diplomacy option of "PLEASE STOP ATTACKING MY CITY STATE FRIEND YOU JERK"
How about a "No, I'm not moving my two scouts away from the two tiles that are one tile away from your border. Get over it."

- Rationalism has been nerfed. You now need 15 population to get +50% science. (Also they mentioned about Adj. points so maybe you now need +4 adj. instead of +3 to get the other +50% science boost.)

Wish it can be "every population give +X% science", which put more emphasis on population themselves instead of just population threshold.

But still a welcome change, "10 pop +3 Campus city spam" is a really boring meta.

How about a "No, I'm not moving my two scouts away from the two tiles that are one tile away from your border. Get over it."

IIRC Scouts will not trigger the "troops too close to my border" diplomatic demand.

Lovely to hear how excited they are about implementing changes requested by people who actually play the game. Firaxis, thank you for your endless generosity. I’ll use it to finance civ6 mod developers instead.

I'm surprised more people aren't commenting on the AI having a better sense of when to raze cities. That's something I'm very excited about because so often I see them keep captured cities they have no chance of holding onto. I imagine it might make wars more exciting: in the past when I had a city captured by the AI I would usually think, "Big deal, they never raze anyway, I'll just recapture it or wait for it to flip back." Maybe now one won't be able to be as cavalier about it!

Lovely to hear how excited they are about implementing changes requested by people who actually play the game. Firaxis, thank you for your endless generosity. I’ll use it to finance civ6 mod developers instead.

I can’t parse what you’re trying to say. Your tone, as always, is clearly sarcastic and derisive judging by your last remark, but they did in fact implement “changes requested by people who actually play the game” so I dunno :confused:

Wish it can be "every population give +X% science", which put more emphasis on population themselves instead of just population threshold.

But still a welcome change, "10 pop +3 Campus city spam" is a really boring meta.

IIRC Scouts will not trigger the "troops too close to my border" diplomatic demand.

I don't mind having some pop thresholds, but agreed that given that it can deal with fractional values, having a scaling value would probably be better. That would also give an even bigger reason to go for a +5 campus over a +4 campus, for example, if knowing that extra +1 wasn't just +1 but also counted as +10% or +15% to the whole building values too. Or more importantly, after the early years, would be a reason to go for a +2 campus over a +1 even if it used a slightly more valuable tile.

This looks like a good patch to me. I really like the "no and stop asking me" button, I hope they will consider more options in that vein. I would personally *love* for there to be an option to turn off the denouncements for example as I just find them interrupting to the gameplay. I get that some people really like watching the animations but at this point in the game's life, I think a number of players are mostly interested in sort of getting on with just the gameplay aspect of it all.
So hope we can get something like that.

Balance and AI changes sound good as well. Hopefully it will be a good improvement to the game.

I probably won’t use the CS picker that much, but it does allow for certain interesting challenges by restricting them to a certain type, or removing powerful cultural city states for tourism victories.

I look forward to seeing the full patch notes for the balance changes. The rationalism nerf seems reasonable, but I’m not sure in the light of Babylon’s release that midgame eurekas needed to get any easier...

CS picker: Welcome addition (could be especially useful when populating a random TSL map script - you can now ensure that CS appear where there is space); hopefully we get a civ banning function in future, too

Stop-asking-me-function: Nice, though the usefulness might depend on when you can use it and if you can "undo" it again (or does it run out at some point?)

AI: More sane peace deals and razing logic are welcome. Eager to see the patch notes if that is all... Still waiting for my multiple personal pet peeves around strat ressource trading with the AI seeing some love.

Balance and bug fixes: Many nice changes...for some like the anti-cav-boost we have waited quite a while, so I'm really happy :) Byzanthiums nerf with conquered ED was more than I expected (I waited mainly for a fix to the exploit of getting units more than once from the same conquered ED); this might make city razing and then rebuilding sometimes worth for them.

The hints... To me, neither Kevins love for the statue nor the one-more-year-statement are meaningless. But ironically the former is less clear to me than the latter... I maybe guilty because of wishful thinking, but I just cannot get any other meaning into the "another year" than a hint on more content. Yes, technically it could be just a new years greeting (2021 = a new year = so also a year more...), but would you put it then in that kind of a vid? Where you know that the fanbase will tear it up word-by.word and will understand it in a certain way?

This is my favorite update yet. I've been needing a city state picker for years. No more rolling a coastal civ like Indonesia and unfortunately not having Auckland in the game.

The other long-time wish coming true for me is the rebalance of policy cards. Rationalism deserves that nerf since there's never a reason to NOT pick it. And I never picked the Great people cards but now I'm gonna consider them. All and all, a fantastic update.

Really nice balance tweaks. Although I did expect an extra gimmick, like they've done before (pirates scenario, tech and civic shuffle mode), especially with Christmas coming up.
But the CS picker is a very welcoming addition. Caguana is always in my game, I don't want to build any more Batey improvements, ever! I've built too many now.

And yes, now I also want a selection list for the random leader pool. Trajan has been in almost every single game I've played.

Not everybody will get Mausoleum. And people usually rate Industrial Zone and Workshops very bad, I don't really see a problem.

Yeah, +1 culture was such a meh bonus before, but +3 starts to get a little curious. I think it's still worse than +x00 production to a wonder, but if you have a sprawling network of IZ, this could be a fairly solid culture boost.

I still wish they would work to adjust the game so that civs can conquer one another completely. As is, city walls pretty much shut down offensive wars, and it really hurts warring civs due to the expended resources rarely yielding much. Most of the time, the AI units fail to do much against each other, and especially against a human.

I wonder if a mod to reduce city and wall strength (likely significantly) would lead to a more exciting game.

Top Bottom