Deity Challenge 34 - The Celts

Not going to be easy! 7 CBs + 2 archers...i personnally DoWed Ghengis :cowboy: I didn't steal a worker from Ghengis(didn't have the occasion).

Spoiler :

And where is your gold for upgrades?

Where did you get the gold?

Some turns later :)

Spoiler :

And now :

Spoiler :

I made peace with Ghengis(wanted to completely destroy him) when i found Maria. I was afraid that she already met him and i didn't want to completely destroy relations with her, i need her to get up from this carnage.

Why Sofia can't expand culturally there :mad:?

Spoiler :

Nice, Tab! Wow what a recovery. Did you go liberty?

Ok, I have to try this again lol.

Spoiler :

just a brief update from t60-85.

I did not have gold to upgrade CBs, but with 5-6 archers + 2 CBs (I built archers 1 turn left at 2 cities (cap and KSM city) and used those to hardbuild CB fast after the construction) + 2 UU I took Karakorum around t75. I cut his units one by one by "worker-fishing" and I think I did not lose any unit. He even built pyramid for me :)

Portugal trirme came and I imported copper and exported lots of stuff. She got both GLs and colossus + oracle. She went full traditon and piety 1 and seems like in the wonder-whore mode. I surrounded beshbalik and getting lots of "gpt" by using 2 workers there, exploiting 1 turn repair & pilliage. Using this city as a nice xp farming place as well.

Got optics and sending a scout to Portugal land - if it looks easy to take her cities, I will, and if not, I will let her build wonders+buildings for me and take them with frigates later.

Where did you get the gold?

-Got a gold ruin(70)
-Killed 2 barb camps
-Put cities on working gold tiles as a priority
-Sold horses to Ghengis for some turns
-Monarchy policy
-Plundered a caravan(100 gold)
(Edit)-Gold saved from free monuments

I played some more turns and Maria decided to go heavy religious. She built Borogodur(or something like that :)), built a city on my continent and have sent a huge load of missionnaries. Strangly, she didn't hit my cities but the others around. But it was enough to put pressure on me. I have to kill her if i wanna stay with my religion.

Funny how glory and me did completely different approaches. He did harass Ghengis a lot and been able to get his cap with a minimum number of units. And it was the opposite for me. I had to kill the hugest army in the world. He went Liberty, i went Tradition.

Spoiler :
He proposes to kill Maria. That's a good idea, a very good one. But she's my best friend :cry:(DoF) and i'm getting huge chunk of gold from her and RAs. Not sure if i will beeline Navigation or stay friendly.

Spoiler :

Little weak there Atilla?

edit: Genghis Khan :scared:
:lol:

Attachments

• ez.jpg
    ez.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 648
Better this time but still not ideal. I made a huge mistake when I got my GE I built the National Epic instead of National College because I wasn't paying attention lol.

I don't know how you guys took Karakorum so easily. By the time I waded through all his troops it was already a 21 strength city. After many freakin turns like at turn 121 I finally took it. And that was with 3 citadels, 2 planted in his face. He would just keep churning out unit after unit after unit and it was looking a bit grim for a while but then I noticed those units started slowing down.

So got his cap but how I'm really far behind. Check out my CB. Every single promotion lol. Problem was I didn't get a chance to upgrade him till almost the end so was mostly doing crappy archer damage.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Little weak there Atilla?

edit: Genghis Khan :scared:
:lol:

WTF? That is ridiculous. In my game, by turn 50 he already had a ton of units including two horsemen making it very tricky to get my guys through the open. And a cap def of only 15?

God the way things differ between everybody's games makes me ill sometimes :)

Well, because:

-With the UA, I would get +2 :c5faith: per turn instead of +1 :c5faith:

-You'd be 1 tile away of getting 3 granary resources in your city.

-Settling on hills gives +1 :c5production: , which is great. Also, more defense, which I think will be needed if this is Deity.

-I wouldn't settle NW because of the damned tundras. Instead, I'd move my warrior SW->W to see what's beyond the forests.

I'm no Deity player either, I just though it made a lot of sense, being able to get 3 forests around Edinburgh, +1 production, defense... I'd trade it easily for the river. If I had more time, I'd probably try this start... unfortunately, this is the last year of my high school, so I have to study a lot in order to get to the university I want, so, no free weekends for me :(

Don't study at all. Just play civ5 and rush buy the university. ;-)

Thanks. I annexed and built a monument and culture jumped to 3.

Wow, I'd never really thought of it that way... I figured it applied the surplus, so that after two turns you'd have 1.6, and so it would only take 25% longer to expand, not... infinitely longer. Ok, this makes a moai look more useful. Anything to get the culture boundaries expanding again without annexing!

EDIT: Also, this means that culture isn't reduced by 20%...

1 culture = 0 culture (100%)
2 culture = 1 culture (50%)
3 culture = 2 culture (33%)
4 culture = 3 culture (25%)
5 culture = 4 culture (20%)
6 culture = 4 culture (33%)
7 culture = 5 culture (30%)
8 culture = 6 culture (25%)
9 culture = 7 culture (22%)
10 culture = 8 culture (20%)

It gets better from there, but how many puppeted cities generate more than 10 culture? (Unless it's a capital with a wonder or museum)

So, on average, between 1 and 10, the reduction works out to 35.8%. If you throw out 1 and assume that most puppet cities have at least a monument, it's 25.8%. Still, significantly higher than 20%!

WTF? That is ridiculous. In my game, by turn 50 he already had a ton of units including two horsemen making it very tricky to get my guys through the open. And a cap def of only 15?

God the way things differ between everybody's games makes me ill sometimes :)

well i did cripple him very significantly in the early game, taking all his workers, and killing a warrior

well i did cripple him very significantly in the early game, taking all his workers, and killing a warrior

Spoiler :

In Challenges like this, it's sometimes easier than in a regular game, because normally, I might not risk the diplo hits, let alone pissing off the only neighbor I've met. But if you're making multiple attempts at the game or ever reloading turns, you have the foreknowledge to know that it's worth doing so. And in this case, it certainly is. You absolutely have to attack him.

Yea I did the same. Even pillaged his mine and wine near cap but he still managed to produce a lot of units and get his cap at 21 def. So wierd.

It can really differs from game to game. Sometimes the AI will built 20+ units and sometimes he stays like a zombie and wait you to kill him. I got the same zombie zulu AI in the deity Russia challenge because i did what klaskeren or glory7 did.

I know there is a (big)difference between harrassing an AI or not, but just declaring war and steal a worker or 2 and/or kill some units shouldn't slow down the AI that much. Sometimes he litterally put down his level to prince...it's certainly devs fault and bad programming.

To make real challenges some rules should be added like no worker steal or no strong harrassment level. But even then it's pretty easy to defeat them if you know how to build a big and strong army by yourself. Probably the cleanest way to learn the game(like mp games). Now, if only the AI would know how to move and attack decently...

But i did no harrassment and worker steal...and still succeed. So we need more rules :p

Oh my god.. I knew I was missing something :)

When I read glory7's post about the pillage/worker thing I really didn't understand or thought it was a bug. Now I see how bloody powerful it is. As I'm slowly taking Beshbalik it makes such a huge difference to repair then pillage for healing and extra gp income :) I wish I had known about this when taking his first city. It is especially nice when you have no hills for cover bonus like around Beshbalik. Well crap I should have him soon but it's going to be turn 150 when I do. Hope I can still pull out a late game win with this.

Oh well, live and learn. Is this something the game is designed for or is it a bug that will be fixed sometime?

Especially powerful with the Celt UU.

Ok took Beshbalik but looking for advice.

EDIT: Ooops nm, Turfan went down easy enough. Razing it now and just going to leave Genghis with that lovely city of Hsia lol. Also ran into 3 more civs and trading excess wine so getting +24gpt now.

Spoiler :

Should I just sign a peace treaty at this point? Probably going to be 6-10 more turns to take Turfan. I would rather just get back on my feet and get trading with Portugal and try to catch ASAP. Don't think there is much to fear from Genghis at this point.

OTOH, I hate to give him a chance...

I have been stealing tech from Portugal so even though my +spt is bad I'm catching up in other ways. Just stole education and working on unis.

I stopped at t85 when NC was complete and I had teched Construction. I have 5 comp bows, 2 archers. I need to tech BW so I can build PWs as my starting warrior got killed by barbs. But the main reason I stopped was GK had just taken Hanoi and I can see about 15-20 units already. He is also 10 techs ahead of me. Don't know if I should take it to him now or wait til he comes for me. Except, I've been trading with him, so he's acting pretty friendly, but he's going to run out of places to show his aggression eventually. This is why I can't play Diety.

That said, seeing that people are still fighting him at t150 makes me think I haven't already waited too long and I should just go get him, even if it costs me some units.

I stopped at t85 when NC was complete and I had teched Construction. I have 5 comp bows, 2 archers. I need to tech BW so I can build PWs as my starting warrior got killed by barbs. But the main reason I stopped was GK had just taken Hanoi and I can see about 15-20 units already. He is also 10 techs ahead of me. Don't know if I should take it to him now or wait til he comes for me. Except, I've been trading with him, so he's acting pretty friendly, but he's going to run out of places to show his aggression eventually. This is why I can't play Diety.

That said, seeing that people are still fighting him at t150 makes me think I haven't already waited too long and I should just go get him, even if it costs me some units.

You can never tell what can happen in these diety games. In DC32 I didn't have much of a plan and ended up taking Songhai's capitol and going autocracy thinking about more warfare but then I got tired of it and settled into a science mode. It looked kind of grim for a while and Rome was 3 SS boosters ahead of me but then civs started going down and all that was left was me, Zulu, Rome and Austria. Since they were all waring with each other with help from my bribes I sneaked in a very long and painful 352 turn SV :) Not a typical game that's fore sure it was still kind of fun.

Ah screw it. Decided to take all of Khan and see where this takes me.

Later, GK. Was fun. See ya, wouldn't want to be ya. :)

Gotta beeline for Astronomy next and get a caravel out doh.

Spoiler :

EDIT: Oops maybe a bad idea. Just got denounced by Portugal after that. Hmmm...

Top Bottom