1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Deity Challenge 34 - The Celts

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Enniwhere, Sep 10, 2013.

1. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

Won T274 Diplo. Too peaceful game for my taste, with a non coastal capital, domination seemed a bad option for this map.

Attached Files:

2. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

this guy has style

3. BBMorti

BBMorti Warlord

Spoiler :
    Sci victory is always the easiest way to go :D - Not counting the silly Diplo, of course.

4. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Emperor

T68

Just trying to contain GK, been pillaging and stealing workers and etc. Liberty 4 cities, will get some horseman to do better pillaging, and then CBs to hopefully take some cities. Or maybe just focus on growing cities a bit (will trade more lux from Maria). Took Gods of hunts (+1 food on camps)

Attached Files:

5. Huntyadown

Huntyadown Chieftain

Turn 220

Spoiler :
    Not really sure where to go from here. I'll need to finish Genghis eventually for his oil. Portugal and Arabia are runaways. Trying desperately to get my science up. Holding onto CS is hard with Maria and the endless money everyone else has.

Probably going to beeline to plastics and try and get my science up, while getting my gold up at the same time, then beeline a navy and take out Portugal's capitol.

Not really sure though.

Attached Files:

6. casualplayer

casualplayer Warlord

A fun early game but now I'm going to have to swim to get anywhere. Blech.

Genghis put Beshbalik on the Sheep Hill Mountain spot and was still at 2 cities when I maneuvered my units into position. I DoWed him early and let him just keep sending units into 3 Archer crossfires. 5 Archers, 1 Chariot Archer, 1 Warrior and 1 Scout took Beshbalik with no losses. Beshbalik had a Chariot Archer garrison and it plus 17 strength city damage was almost but not quite enough to kill an Archer. Rotated troops through. Gold from that let me upgrade 3 Archers and that army took Karakorum without losses. Genghis founded Turfan while I was taking Beshbalik and founded Hsia while I was taking his cap. Turfan is up in the NE forest with 2 Deer and no luxes so I left him that city out of pity and took Hsia too. All done by Turn 85.

I played an early rush better than I have in a while, so I feel pretty good about that. I founded Edinburgh where I could just reach KSM by buying 2 tiles and that helped immeasurably with cranking out the units. I also took One with Nature as my Pantheon so that working KSM was all good. Got the first religion (Initiation Rites to avoid going broke and Pagoda) but AI were improving and reforming theirs before I got my next prophet. I opened Tradition but then went Piety and I'm going to see if I can get Jesuit Education to help catch up in the midgame, getting those science buildings out asap. One of the AI took Sacred Sites but got none of the Faith buildings so I got no real idea what the heck it was thinking.

Petra went around Turn 58 and Oracle around Turn 90 so I could make some guesses who some of the other AI are. Wonders are flying off the shelf.

7. teqofc

teqofc Warlord

Whoa nice! How did you pull that off with GK as your only neighbor and nobody else to bribe to attack?

8. Resipsa

Resipsa King

I think you can clearly see its forest

9. glory7

glory7 King

I have no idea how you can see it - and it actually does not exist. open the file and you will see that you are wrong.

10. Keirador

Keirador Deity

Spoiler :
    So I moved my settler to the hill SW, for hill settling, and sent my warrior SW as well. On turn 2, before I settled I sent my warrior into the ancient ruin I found. . . holy what! I've never even seen King Solomon's Mines outside of the Scramble for Africa scenario. I'm weighing whether I shouldn't delay settlement by a couple more turns and put my capital near the Mines.

11. Keirador

Keirador Deity

Spoiler :
    Ended up settling on the plains southwest of the wheat, for the extra faith point, reasoning that I wouldn't have the pop to work King Solomon's Mines for awhile. My warrior hit a goody hut and became a Pictish Warrior, and my first scout hit a goody hut and became an Archer. Hello, Genghis. . .

12. Keirador

Keirador Deity

Spoiler :
    I've been using my early Pictish Warrior and Archer to hassle Genghis all game. I've taken so many of his workers and THREE of his settlers that I've just been deleting workers because I can't afford them. He finally offered his third city for a peace treaty, so I took it and burnt it. My scouts have found out that this is a VERY small continent, really just a big island, so I settled my third city on a good coastal area (second city took King Soloman's Mines. Took Liberty initially, but seeing how small this land is I regret it.

Attached Files:

13. Acken

Acken Deity

Giving this a try after being a long time lurker. Only have a couple Deity games under my belt and kinda dislike Continents though :)

14. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

I took his capital turn 50, and from that point he was "guarded", i placed a city south to prevent his units from attacking from behind, and built walls + castle in karakorum, holding with a pikeman in a fort + 5-6 CBS, he never attacked me though

15. teqofc

teqofc Warlord

Oh yea forgot about your 1st post where you had screenshot of his cap almost down :) Very nice!

As for me I played on a bit more after I got rid of GK but I'm just too far behind the science race and Austria has become an absolute monster. Oh first I had a war with Portugal but repelled her frigates with my highly experienced XBows and then Austria DoF me and we both were at war with Portugal. Austria is off the charts, she has already married off Sofia, Prague, Capetown, Ormus, Bratislava, Almaty, Byblos.. good lord what hasn't she married is the better question lol. She's making almost 1k gpt right now and could probably wipe me off the map with the snap of her fingers. But I'm still kicking and will try a bit more this weekend. Austria is my only friend so to make matters worse I only have one RA going.

I had fun going to war and learned a lot about warfare from you guys but doubt I can pull off any kind of win here. At least it beats the boring SV and DV clickfests that I can easily get with Poland and Venice.

16. Acken

Acken Deity

Won by diplo victory. Planned for science victory but it went meh, had no coal for factories (was forced into order by influence), was low on culture due to not many city states still independant. So not having much of a choice because of Austria I went for the easy diplo victory, required only 11 votes because there were only 3 city states still alive. Austria had absorbed 10 city states, was very close to me in tech (and probably would have won science too because of its production) and pumping 1000tourism by turn 270ish. And it had to influence only 4 civs since it had killed 2 and Mongolia was dead.

Won a DV 5 turns before they could win a CV, turn 280ish.
    Would have had a way easier time if I had poored a lot of gold into a city states having coal for the 25% science.

17. Enniwhere

Enniwhere Chieftain

Ended up with a T295 diplo victory. Not pretty, since I messed up both my science and my ideology. Everyone sure does hate you, when you are the only one with freedom... Took me three tries to get past the Genghis-start, though all three times i settled on the SE hill, and in the last try I even got ToA and Oracle xD - probably the first and only time I will get ToA in a deity game.
    Spoiler :

18. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Borrow them from the AI.

19. teqofc

teqofc Warlord

I might just pull of the cheesiest DV victory yet. Got 12 votes and only need one more but going to be a looong 10 more turns till next vote and everyone is starting to denounce me :)

EDIT: Actually one need 11 to win so if I can just hang in there for 8 more turns. Will keep you updated :)

20. teqofc

teqofc Warlord

Got it! Turn 298 DV whew.

Spoiler :

Fun game but taking all of Mongol and taking so long to do it really made things tricky and my science lagged and never really caught up. Austria buying up all the CSes was worrisome at first but made the whole game easier in the end. After taking Mongol, Portugal denounced me and we went to war soon after but I repelled her fleet in Bashbalik and Austria joined in. After a truce I started to set up trade routes with Portugal but then Austria passes no trading with Portugal :( But being friends with Austria through the whole game was key.

Stopped stealing tech from Portugal after the war to not further piss her off and sent promoted agent to Hanoi to keep that locked down as ally.

Since I was last to an ideology I went Autocracy since Austria and Netherlands were also to not piss them off. Having lots of extra luxes to trade for other luxes made happiness pretty easy. Got the policy in autocracy to reduce unit maintenance so was making decent gpt near the end and had to spend quite a bit near the end to ensure my ally with CSes.

3 civs were taken by Austria. My science lagged big time and I only had one caravel searching the map and as you can see I still haven't seen parts of it.

For religion I went with One with Nature, Tithe, Pagodas, RC, IP

Crazy game and lots of fun.