Demographics, Health Bonuses and Population Growth

I suggested it a few revisions ago, but what about fractional :yuck: and :mad: per population, like the 0.15 :health: / pop from an aqueduct but in reverse. Flat :mad: and :yuck: penalties can be too onerous in the stone age, and trivial by the Renaissance, but fractional ones will always be relevant.

So instead of the Garbage Everywhere giving you a +2 :yuck:, you get a +0.5 :yuck: / Pop. At size 4 that's just +2 :yuck:, but a size 24 city is now +12 :yuck:.

Can that even be done for civics?

FYI Other than settler units the great wonder "The Great Bath of M..." gives the owner an extra pop when you settle a city. I have noticed a bug which means that it does not always go obsolete properly.

I will see if I can get the malaria part of my disease mod done this week. It is supposed to replace all terrain :yuck: with population scailling cost to grow and loss of production. I have been side tracked from this mod for to long.

Can that even be done for civics?

When I looked into it last year or so the answer seemed to be 'not without modding the dll' so it wasn't something I could test. But I would imagine it would be something like copying the code that does the per capita health bonus on aquaduct / sewers and inserting it into the civics code, and adding the appropriate tags to the schema and civics xmls.

If you wanted to, you could probably change the "city requires +% more food to grow" penalties into +0.X :yuck: / Pop too. I've noticed one problem with the food levels is when you switch civics and lose or reduce the penalty, a city that has 100 / 120 :food: stored suddenly has 100 / 60 :food: stored so it grows right away; and with granary/ice house/shaman hut/housing buildings/etc. it keeps 50-75% of that 100 :food:, and with food production next turn it has (100 * 75%)+10 = 85 / 70 :food: stored so you get two or three straight turns of growth.

If you went from 20 :health: - 30 :yuck: = -10 :food: consumed to 20 :health: - 20 :yuck: = 0 :food: consumed you'd start growing again but without a sudden population boom.

Top Bottom