Denmark Civilization and Scenario Pack and Explorers Map Pack due for may 3rd

From the video:

UA: Viking Fury
Embarked Units have extra movement and less movement cost to move from sea to land. No movement cost to pillage improvements.

Handy for exploration and amphibious assaults.

Beserker: Replaces Longswordsman, starts with Amphibious and +1 movement
Ski Infantry: Move faster, and fight harder, on snow, tundra and hills.

EDIT: Previous Post has all of this info! Too late, I guess.

We finally get a Scandinavian civ and its not Sweden? I am dissapoint...
But at least its Vikings.

Denmark at one point controlled all of Scandinavia. Norway, Sweden and Finland were all "In union under Denmark."

At least that's what EU3 told me. And frankly, I believe it.

Cool :)
I always wanted the vikings...

Why go with national traits though? Why not just vikings, but Denmark? Norway and Sweden also had vikings as I recall... Maybe they will have two more DLC's with vikings?
Weird... You have Arabia representing half the middle east and north africa, and then you have Denmark instead of vikings representing scandinavia

Calling them Vikings would be like calling the English "pirates." Vikings were raiders, not the entire civilization. The Christian Europeans referred to them as Norsemen, but that's a descriptive term for all of them and did not single them out by group. The Danes make a lot of sense. The height of Empire was under Denmark. Even post Viking period, Denmark dominated the Kalmar Union. Denmark controlled half of England, which led to the Danelaw over those areas.

It's clear they're incorporating other Scandinavians into Denmark, since Norwegian Ski infantry are in. Then again, Denmark did occupy Norway.

Interestingly enough, as much as I said Korea wouldn't be in because Seoul is in, Coppenhagen is a City-State. Interesting to see if they replace it. My quick suggestion (Firaxis, if you're reading this, please consider it) would be to turn Tyre into a maritime City-State and make Ashur a militaristic one. Alternatively, Malta or an Indonesian city (Java, Jakarta) could be candidates.

Denmark at one point controlled all of Scandinavia. Norway, Sweden and Finland were all "In union under Denmark."

Not really. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmar_Union

Sweden: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_empire

But I only would have liked Sweden because I'm Swedish. The best thing IMO would have been if they had just called the civ Scandinavians or Norsemen.

And I really would have liked to seen some Caroleans(Karoliner in Swedish) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroleans

But if they called them Scandinavians, then there wouldn't be any room for a separate Sweden in the future. This civ has Danish and Norwegian parts with a heavy emphasis on the Viking era, still leaves open the possibility of an Imperial Age focused Sweden civ ... don't get your hopes down yet!

I'm guessing the "Norwegian ski infantries" unit is to throw a bone to disgruntled Norwegians who finally get their beloved vikings represented in the game, but only under a Danish civ. Even though Norway has been under Danish rule on several occacions, I'd prefer it if they'd leave the danish civ just danish and perhaps later include a Norwegian civ. Or more likely just leave that to the modders.

That said, this civ looks all sorts of awesome. Will definitely give it a whirl.

Thats true. But would they really add two scandinavian civs? That just seems too good to be true lol.

i highly doubt they'll be adding sweden. but at least they listened to all of the people complaining about the name "vikings".

holy crap monkeys! :lol:

I'm betting that was meant for release later, given the reference to 'now available on steam'

I think it meant 'Civilization 5 - Now on Steam'

The map pack sounds interesting:

Explorers Map Pack

Ten fantastic single-player maps make up this Civilization V DLC pack designed by Firaxis Games. Five of the maps are based on real-world locations, chosen for their historical interest and gameplay possibilities. The remaining five are scripted map environments. These maps will change from game to game, but will focus on an exciting gameplay theme. From the arid Sandstorm to the lush Amazon, and from the Caribbean to the Bering Strait, these maps will give skillful Civilization V players new lands to conquer!

ACHIEVEMENTS!!!

Fetchez la Vache! - Build a Motte and Bailey improvement
This Was Their Finest Hour - Win the Scenario as Anglo-Saxon England (Any Difficulty)
You The Conqueror - Win the Scenario on Emperor (Any Civ)
Surviving Ragnarok - Win the Scenario on Deity (Any Civ)
Purple People Eaters - Win the Scenario as Norway (Any Difficulty)
Survivng Doomsday - Win the Scenario on Immortal (Any Civ)
Where's The Biathlon? - Enter a Snow tile with a Norweigan Ski Infantry
Hands Free to Victory - Win as Harald Bluetooth
Pillage, then burn - Pillage 9 farns on the same turn
Time to Stitch a Tapestry - Win the Scenario as Normandy (Any difficulty)
Odin's Chosen Warrior - Win the scenario as Denmark (Any Difficulty)

These two units are on the same upgrade path...is that the first time?? Units upgraded from Berskerker through Ski Infantry would have SICK bonuses.

These two units are on the same upgrade path...is that the first time?? Units upgraded from Berskerker through Ski Infantry would have SICK bonuses.

yes, i was just thinking the same thing.... basically you'd end up with mech inf that embark like crazy, can pillage without penalty, have +1 general movement, are amphibious, and get bonuses on hills/snow/tundra etc.

pretty cool

Not the first time... Musketeer - (Rifleman) - Foreign Legion

So is it confirmed Ski Infantry replace Rifleman?

Anyone else notice in the scenario trailer, top bar? Science OFF, Happiness OFF, Golden Age OFF, Policies OFF - Hence the reason support was added for removing them via mods.

Hey Pouakai, gotta say I've never noticed your sig before ... and it is awesome.

And yeah, I'll be getting Denmark.

Heh, thanks mate. I agree with everything you said, with the addition of '...Denmark, And the 10 map explorer pack'

Heh, thanks mate. I agree with everything you said, with the addition of '...Denmark, And the 10 map explorer pack'

i want to hear a review of some kind talking about the 10 maps first. But it's a possibility. I may wait for Steam to bundle all the map packs for cheap in a couple of months and go that way.

P.S. Noticed you list as showing up in NZ. Are you a Kiwi then? My wife and I want to visit there so badly but there never seems to be enough time to get away long enough to do it properly.

From how the map pack is sounding, could be good for multiple civs (Sandstorm - Arabia, Bering Straight - Vikings) and add a more unique feel to every game, as well as a slight AoE feel.

Yeah, I'm a Kiwi, from Quake City. Just got back from a 10 day, 2400 Km tour of the South Island, overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound. Amazing trip, but we need Tourists now more than ever. Most of the island is fine, but people are staying away because of the CHCH quakes.

Top Bottom