Denmark Civilization and Scenario Pack and Explorers Map Pack due for may 3rd

I would've called them "the Norse," as that was the name of Scandinavia's shared language/culture in the Middle Ages. But oh well.

Not really. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmar_Union

Sweden: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_empire

But I only would have liked Sweden because I'm Swedish. The best thing IMO would have been if they had just called the civ Scandinavians or Norsemen.

And I really would have liked to seen some Caroleans(Karoliner in Swedish) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroleans

When the vikings were at the peak of their power, they were led by danish kings. Every conquest of significance was done by danish kings. So I think it's only fair to call it a Danish civilization, since it's based on vikings. The norwegian ski infantry is a cool gesture to Norway, which, in a historical sense, always has been a "little brother" of Denmark. I think it fits perfectly.

Sure, Sweden was the most dominating scandinavian power for a long time, but that was way AFTER the viking age.

That being said, I'm looking forward to wreck some chaos with those truely awesome beserkers! :)

When the vikings were at the peak of their power, they were led by danish kings. Every conquest of significance was done by danish kings. So I think it's only fair to call it a Danish civilization, since it's based on vikings. The norwegian ski infantry is a cool gesture to Norway, which, in a historical sense, always has been a "little brother" of Denmark. I think it fits perfectly.

Sure, Sweden was the most dominating scandinavian power for a long time, but that was way AFTER the viking age.

That being said, I'm looking forward to wreck some chaos with those truely awesome beserkers! :)
It makes little sense to call a Viking/Norse civ 'Denmark'. (and this has already been discussed to death in threads in the civ4 forums) But it makes plenty sense to include Vikings as a part of a Denmark civ. So I think they've made a fair compromise to include historical accurate Vikings in civ5, opposed to the unhistorical 'Viking civilisation' in Civ4 Warlords. Even though that was a really cool civ as well.
I guess I'd prefer it if they'd left the "Norwegian Ski Infrantry" unit out of a Danish civ, but hey, no worries.

Not the first time... Musketeer - (Rifleman) - Foreign Legion

So is it confirmed Ski Infantry replace Rifleman?

Anyone else notice in the scenario trailer, top bar? Science OFF, Happiness OFF, Golden Age OFF, Policies OFF - Hence the reason support was added for removing them via mods.

True, the french have it as well, but the Musketeer does not have any special promotions, so it's a waste to build if you're plowing to riflemen with promoted longswords.

At least with the Danes, you'll have special promotions on those LS's which will then get even more special promotions ! :goodjob:

Well only way to Norway or Finland to get in this game as civilizations would be by using Denmark and Sweden. Now they included Denmark and gave it a unit that was Norwegian. If they ever make Sweden I really hope they give it special horse unit named Hakkapeliitta as even many historians agree that they were vital part of Sweden becoming a superpower in the past. To those that don't know Hakkapeliitta is a light cavalry unit that originated from Finland and served in Sweden's army.

Also to me this makes sence as Denmark was really the viking nation and usually ruled or at least controlled Norway.

Denmark owned Norway for centuries. The Danish Empire at its height definitely included it.

Wezqu, if they did include Sweden, I'd support that Finish cavalry unit, along with some kind of artillery unit.

wait and that should mean that the first part of the patch will be out as well. They should add a longboat in my opinion. I do like the beserker though. I am not sure about the ski rifles, they should make them ski infantry or something. Something like Finnish ski troops, only Danish.

It's a reference to the Ski Troops used against Sweden by Denmark-Norway in the Napoleonic Wars.

In that context, it makes sense. If they were Infantry, they would be Finish and they wouldn't make sense as a Danish UU. It's a good candidate for a reskin, though.

wait and that should mean that the first part of the patch will be out as well. They should add a longboat in my opinion. I do like the beserker though. I am not sure about the ski rifles, they should make them ski infantry or something. Something like Finnish ski troops, only Danish.

That just sounds funny there isn't really ski infantry in Finland. Every soldier is still teached basic skiing but usually everybody knows how to ski anyway as its even part of the school system. Still I understand the reference as Finland used infantry units that used skis to move fast on snow. One of these battles is know as the battle of Raate road where much smaller number of finnish troops took down 14000 strong Soviet army mainly using quick attacks with skis. Russians casualties were between 7000 to 9000 troops and finnish casualties were only 400.

The funny thing is that Lauri Törni finnish veteran of WWII teached american special ops units to use skis effectivly. During his life time he served in three different armies. Those three were Finland, Germany and United States of America. When he was in Germany he was under the SS.

I'm really liking their UA and UUs. Great synergy between it all. Longswords who have free amphibious and embarkation bonuses. No movement penalty from pillaging+ an extra movement point means you can pillage 2 tiles then attack a city all in the same turn with your Berserkers. On the surface you'd think "well this is a pure war civ, no economic bonuses" but that free pillaging can potentially be very sick. Get 3-4 Berserkers and go pillaging, collect a few hundred gold. Try to take the city, or make peace. Watch the AIs cities be crippled.

Then as if that wasn't good enough, you get to upgrade them and get a combat bonus on Snow, Tundra and Hills.

So if I am reading this right, you could one day have a Riflemen/Infantry/Mech with +1 movement, Amphibious, a combat bonus/movement bonus on snow, hill and tundra, who gets free pillage and can attack from the ocean or go from ocean to land without using up an entire turn.

You'll be able to weave in and out of sticky situations using the embark movement bonus, and hide behind rivers and on hills for some very strong units.

You'll be able to weave in and out of sticky situations using the embark movement bonus, and hide behind rivers and on hills for some very strong units.

yeah, jumping into, and then out of, a lake to get to the other side of units or cities before being able to attack on the same turn will be sick. water has always been annoying as it slows attacks down. now it won't. (island hoping will be easier as well on arch maps - units can pop onto the 1 tile island to get proper sight range, then back into the water or attack depending on what is around)

I think I'll wait for the patch before I take them out for a spin. I want to see how naval combat will improve post patch, and this looks like an excellent civ to test with.

I think I'll wait for the patch before I take them out for a spin. I want to see how naval combat will improve post patch, and this looks like an excellent civ to test with.

Agree. But it's likely enough the patch will be out before this DLC. My guess is that's why the broke the patch into two parts, so these fixes would be available for the Danish scenario/civ.

Top Bottom