Describe Yourself Using the 21 Spheres

fdrpi

Prince
Seeing as each civ gets three different types from their palace, what three spheres best describe you and why?

For me:
1. Metamagic: I like knowledge. Science and history in particular.
2. Nature: The environment is a big thing for me.
3. Law: Order can be very important to me.

I suppose this fits fairly well with AS, but that's me.

What about you?

1. Water:
Like the opposing sphere of Fire, Water is primarily about how one addresses emotions. Fire is impulsive, compelling one to act out irrationally as soon as an emotion is felt. Water is about calmly and rationally contemplating the emotions in order to better understand their cause before doing anything about them. It is an essential element of true intimacy and of the deep commitment of companionate love. It easily dismisses petty offenses, but may ruminate (particularly on issues related to one's loved ones) enough to lead to depression and withdrawal when it is not clear what can be done to make a situation better.

Those who don't know me well often think I am an unfeeling robot because I am so hard to provoke, I genuinely do not care about most of the petty things that inspire emotional reactions in others, and I rarely have cause to reveal my true feelings to them. Those few to whom I have really opened up realize I have very deep emotions about the things that do matter to me. I've never had a real romantic relationship primarily because I was deeply in love with one girl for almost half my life, waited too long to act, and withdrew into a depression for years until finally getting back in touch and become close platonic friends.

2. Metamagic:
This sphere deals primarily with memory, and people often comment on how good my memory is. I am considered knowledgeable in many fields, and my familiarity with the lore behind this mod was enough to win me a spot as a Great Sage. This sphere strives for objectivity, as do I. I'm not goal oriented enough, which could be described as a deficiency in its opposing sphere of Mind.

3. Sun:
This is the sphere of revelation, insight, epiphanies, but also the sphere of openness and honesty. I have had a fair number of insights from time to time, and am usually too honest for my own good. Light is quick to point out failures. Although others may see this as harsh, the sun sphere considers this to be an act of supreme benevolence because we cannot fix something until we know it is broken. Many people consider me too critical, and find it is very odd that I prefer the be just as critical back at me. It has been commented that I often seem to be fishing for compliments, but get upset if they give them to me. Empty or non-specific praise is like an insult to me. When I ask for evaluation it is because I believe there is room for improvement and want to be given constructive criticism.

Sure, why not:

* Mind; intellectual curiosity is essential.

* Entropy; nature is probably more appropriate, but I think poor Agares gets a bad rap for embodying an essential principle for recycling resources. You often have to tear down the old to construct the new. Also it's often as fun, if not more so, to break something than build it. :p

* Ice; I'm fairly conservative in temperament, although not politically.

Sure, why not:

* Mind; intellectual curiosity is essential.
The mind sphere doesn't really represent intellectual curiosity though. It represents the desire to predict, control, and posses. It does not value knowledge for its own sake, but for the power it gives.

Metamagic probably fits your reasoning better. It is the sphere of knowledge for the sake of knowledge. Oghma's archangel Embarr represents the Imagination.

Creation might also fit. It involves an interest in coming up with completely new ideas, with the willingness to toss aside old hopes and preconceptions when one stumbles upon something better.

Sun could fit too, as it represents insights and the search for truth.

* Entropy; nature is probably more appropriate, but I think poor Agares gets a bad rap for embodying an essential principle for recycling resources. You often have to tear down the old to construct the new. Also it's often as fun, if not more so, to break something than build it. :p

Entropy in Erebus is better described as Despair. It has to do with obsessing on which can never be to the detriment of improving what can be improved. It doesn't have that much to do with the decomposition required things to start anew.

Death also has to do with giving up, but in the sense that someone tired of playing the game withdraws in order to allow others to take his place. This is probably closer tot hat you are thinking.

Fire has more to do with the revolutionary, purifying destruction of the old to make way for the new.

Mulcarn also described his sphere of winter as a necessary rest and return to a previous state that is needed for nature to begin anew.

Doing things just or fun in part of the Air sphere. Tali is highly destructive although in no way malevolent.

* Ice; I'm fairly conservative in temperament, although not politically.

Ice isn't so much conservative as it is reactionary. It does not just want to maintain the status quo, it wishes to return to the status quo ante. It is very much about nostalgia and the idealization of how things used to be.

Conservatism is more related to Earth, although that sphere mostly pertains to honest hard work and the benefits thereof.

Don't know much about these spheres but after reading the thread I'd say:

Metamagic - knowledge and abstracting from it

Death - I'm "half in love with dark and despair", as Hawkwind put it.

Sun - creativity, insight, the search for truth, optimism

I would've liked to include water as it's my astrological element several times over (Sun, Moon, Venus... and Chinese astrology too), but I'm as much about Vulcan anemotionalism as I am about emotions.

@Magister... are you speaking of the spheres before or after the fall ?
because IIRC, mind was also prescience... pure disinteresed knowledge. while after the fall it went to manipulation and knowledge for power...
dito for entropy.. it decame despair after the fall iirc. before it was a more neutral aspect : comprising despair, but also more positive aspects of entropy.

Hmm, let's try this. I am using pre-fall spheres here.

Sun : I am interested in pursuing knowledge and truth, also in how people can redeeming their faults by contemplating their mistakes and doing something to absolve the past mistakes.

Fire : I am passionate (when dealing with something that I am interested, my "cause"), and will invest time and energy for something (or someone) that I love.

Earth : I think that traditions are necessary to define our society, change should be tempered by normative values so it will not tear the society apart. Everyone should try their best for the betterment of theirselves and the society as a whole.

Entropy in Erebus is better described as Despair. It has to do with obsessing on which can never be to the detriment of improving what can be improved. It doesn't have that much to do with the decomposition required things to start anew.

I think this is too limited a view. The Rust spell clearly involves decomposition, albeit of inorganic material. Given that Wither artificially ages (or otherwise weakens) the opponent, it's not much of a stretch to see the spell as advancing the breakdown of organic material. Agares' Hell is described as being a wasteland where fortresses are both easily built and destroyed, in an endless process of recycling. Pit Beasts are actually physical embodiments of recycling, being constructed out of reused demon parts. Agares himself might care more for the angsty "Lord of Despair" mantle, but his sphere is by no means all bad.

"All of our pit beasts are made of 100% recycled demon! Because here at Agare's plane of hopelessness and despair... We care, about you."

Entropy Mana: For the ecologically conscientiousness crazed, evil warlord!

Another point- the campaign text describes the Sect of Files warriors as physically decomposing; you can't get any more explicit than that!

Without Entropy, Erebus would be a corpse-strewn nightmare hurtling towards complete ecological collapse.

Earth: stubborn, unwilling to yeild.
Law: as with the OP order and stability are important to me, perhaps too much so.
3rd: Hmm come back to me on this.

Sure. Death/Fire/Earth

Death: Like the Sidar, I'd love to survive for centuries or millenia purely in support of my hobbies and other intellectual activities (knowledge, games, etc)

Fire: I can be rather impulsive at times, and while I am not the most out-going per se, I can become very passionate, (at times). Also, what's more kickass than a huge fireball? XD

and Earth: I see value in success and worldly things, yet also I think the ecology of the planet is important. The Biota in the soil is important to the health of what comes from it. If I could add a fourth to this it would be nature, for even though I do not fully represent the Nature Sphere, I feel that the environment is even more important than material success, but personality wise I think I am a bit more Earth than Nature (as far as the spheres are represented)

well, if death is about giving up then I'd have to switch it with Creation or something ...

but I refuse this, and think that its about obsessing over one's hobbies ;)

Therefore Death/Fire/Earth ... booyah! :p

Mind: 95% of my social life is in my mind. I desire to manipulate other purely with my mind (strength is for weaklings)

Metamagic: (Yeah, I know, I can't have two opposing spheres... but honestly, I have such an odd internal life) I have a desire to learn as much as possible, and learn and learn again.

Earth: I'm stubborn. I dislike moving from tradition.

I don't have a problem with anyone choosing opposing mana types. It seems like that would be appropriate either for those who are very well balanced or else very unstable.

I feel it should be pointed out that The One intended for all of the opposing spheres to be complimentary rather than adversarial.

After the gods each created his own world based on his precept alone, Dagda convinced them to team up with their opposites to create new worlds together. It was only after they saw how much better the worlds made of two elements were than those made of only one that they agreed to make Erebus as a single world where all of the elements were in perfect balance.

It is also worth noting that a great many of Oghma's angels have defected to serve Mammon, and continue to use the power of their original sphere to serve the purposes of their new master.

Chaos
Metamagic
Fire

Fire: As Magister pointed fire refers to decision making, and fire is driven by reflexive emotional impulse. If I can't find some way about to feel about a given situation, I'm liable to not care about it. So I make sure to make friends and enemies wherever I go, for its the emotional bond that ties me to my fellow humanity.

Body: Body is the sphere of Aeron which either represents Strength or Rage. I wouldn't necessarily think you have to be a muscly body builder to qualify for this sphere, but simply being preoccupied with maintaining good health and fitness. I take the stairs instead of elevators, and eat crackers instead of chips. It also suggests an obsession with sex and beauty, I'll only say that since we are of the flesh we should embrace the flesh.

Spirit: Spirit represents Wisdom, and after the Fall it often takes up the mantle of hope. I'm not saying I'm wise beyond my years but neither am I a fool. I never seek ruination of my enemies, or would seek to destroy that which I don't understand. Rage and indignation are tempered by acute awareness of my own fallibility, and belief that those destructive emotions can be made constructive if directed towards oneself.

Law: I am all about the rule of law and the interpretation of law (i guess that last part is sun...)
Ive never even gotten a traffic ticket.

Metamagic: Im an avid reader and i also write a lot.

Spirit: Im always told im wise far beyond my few years...

Top Bottom