Design: Religions

K. In that case i think that the sun religion should be given with ancietn chants, becuase it is a very old religion.

However, it wouldn't get as many bonuses because it is such an earlly religion.
--maybe, what do you think?

Would you mind writing up a simple chart of a current religion, so i can compare the ones we are creating with the olds ones and make sure they are balanced.

Finally, how about Eye of God as name of the sun religion. That is what most ancient ppl thought of the sun i believe.

Lunargent said:
Sirona-angel of Wisdom.
Tech- Drama
Sphere- Spirit
Alignment-good
Advantages-culture bonus in all cities. Attacking civs gain increased war weariness. Defeated units have a small chance to resurrect as a spirit with 4 strength in foreign lands and 8 in homelands.
Disadvantages-Cannot declare war on non-evil civs. (biggy!)

Okay, now we've started two religions. 8 to go.
Some modifications: cities gain no defensive bonus from fortifications, only culture.
Can declare war on non-evil civs, but has +100% war weariness, starting with 10% of cities.
Increased great artist birth obviously.

Name is difficult though: Artistry of Sirona?

Amatheon-angel of fertility
Tech-Medicine+philosophy
Sphere-Creation
Alignment-Good
Advantages-Bonus health in all cities. Special tech allows building of wonder that removes all sickness from one city.
Disadvantages-Cannot build buildings that will give a currently negative health level in cities. ( no training yard until you get that herbalist running, etc.)

In general, I think the total tech cost of a religion should palce it at around teir 6-8 on my chart. All of the current ones are at 6, with one at 7. Just count the squares it takes to get to a spot.

So, my medicine+philosophy example above gives a religion tier of 7. (4+3-1 for a shared tech in those two lines[mysticism] and +1 because a tech always goes one higher than its prerequisites. So a tech that had only one prerquisite would be one higher than the prerequisite. But if it has two, you have to add them up, then add one. Hope I'm not being too confusing)

The point of all this babbling is to keep the religions from being founded so early that they take over the world, or so late that they become a footnote in history. A tech or two difference can make a huge difference down the line.

Current religion for comparrison

Fellowship of leaves.(cernunnos)
Tech-Hunting+Philosophy, teir 6
Alignment Neutral (maybe allow good as well?)
Advantages-Elven archers. Bonus lumbermills acheivable. Ygdrassil+ fruit. WoodsmanII tech. Treehome. (+defense and health in cities)
Disadvantages- Penalty for building asylums and necropolises in cities with treehome.

Eye of God (sun religion-Lugus)
Tech-Calendar+Optics, teir 6 ( i'd add an OR operative to optics so that it can be reached from either boating OR cartography, and give it some other functions if we went with this path. That way this religion has a good chance of getting the Tower of Eyes, which only makes sense.)
Rest the same so far.

Dagda, god of balance (force)
Tech-Laws+Philosophy, teir 7
Alignment-Neutral
Advantages-Similar to the Order. Basillica like building. Instead of the Oracle-wonder that gives units a free movement promotion.
Disadvantages-hmmm.

Lunargent said:
In general, I think the total tech cost of a religion should palce it at around teir 6-8 on my chart. All of the current ones are at 6, with one at 7. Just count the squares it takes to get to a spot.

So, my medicine+philosophy example above gives a religion tier of 7. (4+3-1 for a shared tech in those two lines[mysticism] and +1 because a tech always goes one higher than its prerequisites. So a tech that had only one prerquisite would be one higher than the prerequisite. But if it has two, you have to add them up, then add one. Hope I'm not being too confusing)

The point of all this babbling is to keep the religions from being founded so early that they take over the world, or so late that they become a footnote in history. A tech or two difference can make a huge difference down the line.

I see what you mean. I'll really need to see this new tech tree first, but i can give you the flavor for them.

Flavor is good. I need some time to recharge my own idea well before I throw any more out there. I can add in the techs where they go later easily enough. Just let me know if you want the religion to be early (teir6), middle(teir7), or late (teir8), and i'll figure out a logical path.

Speaking of teirs, I've been thinking about moving Runes of Kilmporph up a teir. It is very powerfull in my play experience. Not only is it founded early, its temples provide much needed gold, and the tech that leads to it (bronze working) is pretty much a must have, meaing you can rush for it and not cripple yourself. This might be mitigated when the new civ traits go in though, so I'll hold off for a while. (bronze working isn't a must have for an elven civ that can't chop trees for example, though it's still usefull.)

Lunargent said:
Flavor is good. I need some time to recharge my own idea well before I throw any more out there. I can add in the techs where they go later easily enough. Just let me know if you want the religion to be early (teir6), middle(teir7), or late (teir8), and i'll figure out a logical path.

Lugus-Early
Sirona-Medium
Nantosuelta-Medium
Junil-Late
Kilmorph-Late
Cernunnos-Medium
Dagda-Early
Tali-Early
Danalin-Early
Camulos-Early
Ceridwen-Medium
Mammon-Late
Esus-Late
Agares-Late

Lunargent said:
Dagda, god of balance (force)
Tech-Laws+Philosophy, teir 7
Alignment-Neutral
Advantages-Similar to the Order. Basillica like building. Instead of the Oracle-wonder that gives units a free movement promotion.
Disadvantages-hmmm.

I was thinking something very different from this for them. More magical, and about using force spells to acheive total balance in the world. Militaristic, but against themselves as much as others. Purge themselves not of teh wrongdoers, but of everything that causes imbalance. They are the totally neutral guys.

EDIT: if something goes out of balance then they fix it, be it good or bad. Definetly anit-armeggedon types.

More magical and early would mean a better tech path would be Laws+Simple Runes. Simple runes gives Adepts and eventually heads up to sorcery. Laws provides an alternate path to sorcery, so they're all set.

So far the techs are:

Lugus-Simple Runes+Laws-6
Sirona-Drama-7
Amatheon-Medicine+Philosophy-7
Junil-Religious Law-7(middle, can be moved up to high by adding philosophy)

I thought we were not giving Sucellus a religion? Though I don't think think that giving each alignment five gods is particularly important. But perhaps we should merge him in with Leaves just to make things simpler.

Lunargent said:
I thought we were not giving Sucellus a religion? Though I don't think think that giving each alignment five gods is particularly important. But perhaps we should merge him in with Leaves just to make things simpler.

Yes, I think that makes the most sense.

Lunargent said:
Amatheon-angel of fertility
Tech-Medicine+philosophy
Sphere-Creation
Alignment-Good
Advantages-Bonus health in all cities. Special tech allows building of wonder that removes all sickness from one city.
Disadvantages-Cannot build buildings that will give a currently negative health level in cities. ( no training yard until you get that herbalist running, etc.)

I think that this is a little to prescise at the moment. Just somethine like: health bonuses, less developed cities. What if their civic allowed them to use food for everything, including building?

Lunargent said:
Lugus-Simple Runes+Laws-6
Sirona-Drama-7
Amatheon-Medicine+Philosophy-7
Junil-Religious Law-7(middle, can be moved up to high by adding philosophy)

Here's some flavor on each of them.

Sirona: to them everything is art created by Sirona.
Junil: duh
Lugus: They must let Lugus' gaze fall on them, and try to let him see everywhere.
Amatheon: Intermix energies of life and inanimate objects to create things.

Any more name ideas?

Well unfortunately you decided that there will only be 3 more religions at the most. ei: one from each alignment.

Here are the spehres nicely divided up:
Order-Force, Law
Runes-Earth
Fellowship-Life, Creation, Nature
Veil-Entropy, Dimensional, Shadow
OO-Mind, Knowledge, Water
New-Fire, Chaos, Body
New-Sun, Spirit, Enchantment

Air and Death not included, I can't figure out where air should go except Runes or Order. The order could get Griffins flying around with Soldiers on their backs, or Runes could use air spells form its moutnain peaks.

Death can go with earth. Makes sense if you've played mage:the awakening. ;)

Put enchantment with Earth as well. Then put air with Sun and Spirit.

Lunargent said:
Death can go with earth. Makes sense if you've played mage:the awakening. ;)

Put enchantment with Earth as well. Then put air with Sun and Spirit.

I liek teh enchantment and air changes. However, i think it would work best if there is no death religion. Arwawn ignores him followers, so no one except sidar would get his stuff.

No death, muhaha!!

Top Bottom