wait Zaarin reads this thread?

I like refunding gold purchases with faith, that's a good idea right there. Civilization ability seems a bit powerful, since economic policy slots are bar-none the best in the game (excluding Wild Cards, but they're only a little better if we're being entirely honest) and it comes with a bunch of additional benefits. It's a better concept than the Daliluw concept I used for my Mali idea though, since it focuses more on the Medieval era of Mali.

Personally, I do like the idea of the unique infrastructure being and improvement rather than a building replacement, partly because the Stave Church replaces the temple already (I'm arbitrary like that) and I like the idea of it being something that Mansa can just place all over the map, going on mass pilgrimages and leaving this massive wave of temples in his wake.

You know though, since Zaarin does read this thread, I think he'll be happy to hear I decided to convert my idea for a Celtic civ to a Gaelic civ.

Gauls
Unique Ability: Chalybs Noricus
  • +3 Combat Strength to Ancient and Classical era military units if there is an improved source of Iron in Gaelic territory.
Chalybs Noricus refers to steel from the kingdom of Noricum in modern day Austria and Slovenia. The metal was well renowned in its time for its strength, and Noricum was a major provider of weaponry for the Roman army.

Unique Unit: Gaesatae (Spearman)
  • Reduces combat strength of adjacent enemy units by 5 during your turn
  • Stacks with multiple Gaesatae, but does not apply during the enemy's turn. As such, it has no defensive application.
Ptolemy writes about a group of highland mercenaries which he refers to as "Gaesatae," or mercenaries. The word in Gaelic is today believed to be spearman. It's an idea dripping with creative names. While Zaarin doesn't like the naked blue Celt stereotype, there is evidence to support the use of unsettling behavior to dishearten enemies, which is what the Gaesatae is based on. It's a Spearman replacement though so it still sucks.

Unique Improvement: Oppidum
  • Unlocks with Defensive Tactics
  • Must be built on a Hill
  • +4 Combat Strength to units stations in an Oppidum
  • +1 Production, +1 Housing
  • +1 Production with Mercenaries civic
Oppidum were fortified settlements associated with the La Tene culture. They were usually elevated, hence needing to be constructed on a hill. The production is just because I thought housing and production made an interesting combination.

Leader: Vercingetorix
Leader Ability: King over Warriors
  • Can send Envoys to City States while at war with them.
  • Gain military units from City States the first time they become wrapped up in one of your wars. If either a war is initiated while you are allied with them or they become your ally while you are at war, you get a free unit. One free unit. If it's a Gaesatae then hahah.
Just as Pericles means Surrounded by Glory, Vercingetorix means King over Warriors. He was able to unite the many disparate tribes of Gaul, something his father was put to death for, against Rome in an ultimately unsuccessful but very famous revolt. He was even able to turn allies of Rome against them, such as the Aedui at the Battle of Gergovia.

Agenda: Gaul United
  • Will try to gain the alliance of every City State on his continent and dislikes civilizations which compete for or conquer these City States. Likes civilizations which leave these City States alone.
Vercingetorix will try to mimic his real life feat mentioned above and unite the City States of his continent. Sort of. He won't conquer them and will usually liberate them so he can put more envoys into them. The name of the ability is borrowed from the engraving Vercingetorix monument on Mont Auxois, which in turn is borrowed from Julius Caesar.

Powhatan Confederacy
Unique Ability: Mattoume: The Powhatan gain +2 food from farmed resources that are not adjacent to other farms.
Leader: Powhatan (aka Wahunsenecawh)
Capital: Werowocomoco
Leader Unique Ability: Mamanatowick: Powhatan generates a bonus envoy point per turn; Powhatan gains +1 culture for every envoy he has placed.
Leader Agenda: Paramount Chief: Powhatan likes civs who invest in city-states; Powhatan dislikes civs who ignore or go to war with city-states.
Unique Unit: Tomahawk: Replaces warrior; stronger, ignores movement penalty on woods. The word tomahawk actually comes from Powhatan.
Unique Infrastructure: Council House: Replaces Amphitheater, generates one envoy per turn.

Okay, this is pretty uninspired, but the idea is that Powhatan is all about collecting city-state allies (he had about thirty tribes under his command) and growing big cities in the woods. His mattoume ability--which I originally considered calling "Three Sisters"--derives from the Eastern Woodland practice of growing squash, maize, and beans together in small patches rather than large fields; it also allows Powhatan to get more food without cutting down woods (even though historically the Eastern Native Americans did indeed clear woods for agricultural use). The tomahawk and council house are really for lack of better ideas, albeit tomahawk is at least a Powhatan word and probably as good an idea as any. Some of these ideas might work well for the Iroquois as well, albeit with a gunpowder-based UU and some name changes, but I really like the idea of Powhatan (the chief) as a leader in game.

ETA: @AnonymousSpeed I only just started reading it; I haven't read anything before MorningCalm's Mali. ;) Yes, there is indeed evidence that the Gauls charged into battle naked, though probably not blue (that was the Britons' thing), though the nobility wore chain mail and rode chariots. Overall, I like your take on the Gauls, though I'd prefer to see the oppidum as a unique encampment rather than improvement. And it's happily druid-free. ;) Aside from the oppida, I might change the Chalybs Noricus ability to a production and culture bonus from iron, since the Celts were regarded as master craftsmen in general and civ abilities usually aren't era-specific, unlike leader abilities. Interesting take on Vercingetorix's abilities.

Last edited:
@AnonymousSpeed I really like your ideas for the Gauls, although as Zaarin says, there should be a cultural bonus for iron (and perhaps metal resources in general).

One pedantic note: the adjective for the Gauls is either Gaulish or Gallic. "Gaelic" refers to the unrelated Celtic tribes of Ireland, and Scotland after the migration of the Scoti.

I might change the Chalybs Noricus ability to a production and culture bonus from iron, since the Celts were regarded as master craftsmen in general and civ abilities usually aren't era-specific, unlike leader abilities.
@AnonymousSpeed I really like your ideas for the Gauls, although as Zaarin says, there should be a cultural bonus for iron (and perhaps metal resources in general).
That bonus would be fine as an addition as well, since it's not a very powerful ability as is. I don't know about culture, but extra production would fit, I think. The civilization ability is era-specific, but I think that's alright. I mean, France has an era-specific ability (a pretty wide range of eras, provided), and I don't think modern weaponry really hurts for Noric Steel.

One pedantic note: the adjective for the Gauls is either Gaulish or Gallic. "Gaelic" refers to the unrelated Celtic tribes of Ireland, and Scotland after the migration of the Scoti.
Darn it 0/10 idea ruined gotta trash the whole thing now blast.

I don't know about culture, but extra production would fit, I think.
Well, the idea is that the Celts not only crafted weapons but also luxury goods like torcs and other jewelry, fine ceramics, sculptures, etc.--and also traded said manufactures for Mediterranean luxury goods like wine, olive oil, spices, etc.

Powhatan Confederacy
Unique Ability: Mattoume: The Powhatan gain +2 food from farmed resources that are not adjacent to other farms.
Leader: Powhatan (aka Wahunsenecawh)
Capital: Werowocomoco
Leader Unique Ability: Mamanatowick: Powhatan generates a bonus envoy point per turn; Powhatan gains +1 culture for every envoy he has placed.
Leader Agenda: Paramount Chief: Powhatan likes civs who invest in city-states; Powhatan dislikes civs who ignore or go to war with city-states.
Unique Unit: Tomahawk: Replaces warrior; stronger, ignores movement penalty on woods. The word tomahawk actually comes from Powhatan.
Unique Infrastructure: Council House: Replaces Amphitheater, generates one envoy per turn.

Okay, this is pretty uninspired, but the idea is that Powhatan is all about collecting city-state allies (he had about thirty tribes under his command) and growing big cities in the woods. His mattoume ability--which I originally considered calling "Three Sisters"--derives from the Eastern Woodland practice of growing squash, maize, and beans together in small patches rather than large fields; it also allows Powhatan to get more food without cutting down woods (even though historically the Eastern Native Americans did indeed clear woods for agricultural use). The tomahawk and council house are really for lack of better ideas, albeit tomahawk is at least a Powhatan word and probably as good an idea as any. Some of these ideas might work well for the Iroquois as well, albeit with a gunpowder-based UU and some name changes, but I really like the idea of Powhatan (the chief) as a leader in game.

ETA: @AnonymousSpeed I only just started reading it; I haven't read anything before MorningCalm's Mali. ;) Yes, there is indeed evidence that the Gauls charged into battle naked, though probably not blue (that was the Britons' thing), though the nobility wore chain mail and rode chariots. Overall, I like your take on the Gauls, though I'd prefer to see the oppidum as a unique encampment rather than improvement. And it's happily druid-free. ;) Aside from the oppida, I might change the Chalybs Noricus ability to a production and culture bonus from iron, since the Celts were regarded as master craftsmen in general and civ abilities usually aren't era-specific, unlike leader abilities. Interesting take on Vercingetorix's abilities.

I would also give Powhatan food bonus to crabs. The Powhatan exploited heavily the resources of the Chesapeake, also an Powhatan word, many of the villages were on the various rivers and runs that feed into the bays.

I would also give Powhatan food bonus to crabs. The Powhatan exploited heavily the resources of the Chesapeake, also an Powhatan word, many of the villages were on the various rivers and runs that feed into the bays.
Perhaps simply a food bonus to bonus resources that already provide food would be appropriate.

Well, the idea is that the Celts not only crafted weapons but also luxury goods like torcs and other jewelry, fine ceramics, sculptures, etc.--and also traded said manufactures for Mediterranean luxury goods like wine, olive oil, spices, etc.
Well, I would argue that formation of nice little objects still fits better for production that culture, all because an idol is better made doesn't necessarily mean it's believed in more strongly or is more inspiration than one of lesser quality or wood. I think finer craftsmanship still works better for bonus production, and trading for things is a mechanic all civilizations can use.

So, I've been thinking about Mali, and what would be a good way for Mansa Musa to be able to spread his Sahelian Mud Temples across the landscape when I had this idea: What if the Sahelian Mud Temple was actually a Trading Post replacement? This would allow Mansa Musa to build them in both domestic and foreign cities without stealing real estate from other players (which would be a nuisance) and could provide bonus faith in addition to gold from trade routes, as well as provide religious pressure or faith and gold to Mali. What do you all think of that?

In addition, here's a Byzantium idea I've been working on, it's not quite finished but I might need some help with it.

Byzantium
Unique Ability: City of the World's Desire
  • Each district constructed in the capital begins with a maintenance free version of its first building.

Unique Unit: Cataphract (Knight)
  • 54 Strength (vs. 48)

Unique Infrastructure: Basilica
  • Unique Tier 3 religious building (must be built in a Holy Site with a temple)
  • 170 Production, 0 Maintenance
  • +3 Faith, +3 Culture
  • +1 Citizen Slot

Leader: Basil II
Capital: Constantinople

Leader Ability: Kievan Rus' Alliance
  • Levying a City State's military automatically converts it to your religion.
  • Each farm in Byzantine territory reduces unit maintenance by 1 gold per turn

Agenda: ???

So, I've been thinking about Mali, and what would be a good way for Mansa Musa to be able to spread his Sahelian Mud Temples across the landscape when I had this idea: What if the Sahelian Mud Temple was actually a Trading Post replacement? This would allow Mansa Musa to build them in both domestic and foreign cities without stealing real estate from other players (which would be a nuisance) and could provide bonus faith in addition to gold from trade routes, as well as provide religious pressure or faith and gold to Mali. What do you all think of that?

While I suppose a faith bonus to trade routes is a way of representing Musa and his pilgrimage, I really don't think it makes sense for the mudbrick mosques to spread their way across the globe, restricted as they are to West Africa. That architectural style just represents the way the local cultures built their mosques.

Byzantium
Unique Ability: City of the World's Desire
  • Each district constructed in the capital begins with a maintenance free version of its first building.

Unique Infrastructure: Basilica
  • Unique Tier 3 religious building (must be built in a Holy Site with a temple)
  • 170 Production, 0 Maintenance
  • +3 Faith, +3 Culture
  • +1 Citizen Slot

I like the UA, but I'm confused about the building. Is it an alternative to the worship buildings that usually go in the third slot (the Basilica seems about equal in strength to the existing options, so having it available wouldn't be that much of an advantage), or would Byzantine Holy Sites allow 4 buildings?

All I really have are fictitious Civs (not a great History buff lol). Don't see why it'd be a problem to post my ideas though.

-Yorisol
Led by King Altritar
LA: Glorious King: +15% Science when not at war. +15% Culture when at war. Writings grant +1 Culture and Tourism each.

NA: Towering Cities: Luxury Resources grant +2 Amenities to 3 cities. Districts adjacent to the City Center grant +1 Housing.

UB: Yorikk: Improvement; Provides +1 Food and +1 Food for each adj district; +1 Food with Metal Casting; +1 Food with Plastics; +1 Science with Nanotechnology
Built on Flatlands (Engineering)

UU: Yorum: Archer Replacement; Has +2 Combat Strength over normal Archers. Has +4 Combat Strength while on a District.

Background: est. ~12000-10000 BC. The Yorisol Empire was a collection of City-Towers and farms. Though only 3 or 4 City-Towers existed, they housed many citizens, slaves, and soldiers within them (about 10,000 or so peoples in total). Built in the cold north near mountains, astonishing aquaducts would run from mountains through the towers. It is assumed that silver and iron were the primary metals used by the Yorisolians, probably mined directly out of the mountains by slaves. Remains of silver arrowheads and tubes have been uncovered near the moutains. Perhaps the tubes were used for growing food inside the City-Towers?

King Altritar ruled from his youth until the end of the Yorisol Empire's existence. It is assumed that the second Ice Age caused the Yorisol Empire to collapse, perhaps literally. Little is known about him, though he is commonly portrayed as being partially a wolf. Perhaps he had killed a wolf to earn his kinghood? It is not believed that he had a wife or anything along those lines. A collapsed salt mine dug still bears a large drawing of Altritar.

While I suppose a faith bonus to trade routes is a way of representing Musa and his pilgrimage, I really don't think it makes sense for the mudbrick mosques to spread their way across the globe, restricted as they are to West Africa. That architectural style just represents the way the local cultures built their mosques.
That may be true, but Civilization doesn't have to be entirely accurate to history, and the idea of it is forgiving to the concept of something geographically contained being spread across the globe or something spread across the globe being more contained.

I like the UA, but I'm confused about the building. Is it an alternative to the worship buildings that usually go in the third slot (the Basilica seems about equal in strength to the existing options, so having it available wouldn't be that much of an advantage), or would Byzantine Holy Sites allow 4 buildings?
I don't recall if you could build multiple worship buildings in the same Holy Site, but I assumed you could and that was the assumption the Basilica was designed with. I'm assuming no though that you can only have one.

You could make the Basilica function like the Stables/Barracks and Museums. Have either a Worship Building or a Basilica.

Mongolian Empire - Lead by Genghis Khan

Leader Ability: Mongol Terror - All mounted units gain +2 movement points, and mounted units have no penalty attacking cities. Gain a free Khan unit after entering the medieval era

Leader Unit: Khan - Replaces Great General, heals nearby units along with the standard combat strength bonus.

Agenda: Mongol Horde - Likes to have the strongest military in the world, hates anyone stronger than him.

Civilization Ability: Silk Road - After conquering a city, gain all trade routes that has that city as their home.

Unique Unit: Keshik - Heavy Cavalry unit that is unlocked with the Stirrups technology. Has the Strength of a Knight, but attacks with a ranged attack.

Unique Infrastructure: Mongol tent - A unique tile improvement that provides +2 housing and yields based on the resources and districts around it.

Last edited:
wait Zaarin reads this thread?

I like refunding gold purchases with faith, that's a good idea right there. Civilization ability seems a bit powerful, since economic policy slots are bar-none the best in the game (excluding Wild Cards, but they're only a little better if we're being entirely honest) and it comes with a bunch of additional benefits. It's a better concept than the Daliluw concept I used for my Mali idea though, since it focuses more on the Medieval era of Mali.

Personally, I do like the idea of the unique infrastructure being and improvement rather than a building replacement, partly because the Stave Church replaces the temple already (I'm arbitrary like that) and I like the idea of it being something that Mansa can just place all over the map, going on mass pilgrimages and leaving this massive wave of temples in his wake.

You know though, since Zaarin does read this thread, I think he'll be happy to hear I decided to convert my idea for a Celtic civ to a Gaelic civ.

Gauls
Unique Ability: Chalybs Noricus
  • +3 Combat Strength to Ancient and Classical era military units if there is an improved source of Iron in Gaelic territory.
Chalybs Noricus refers to steel from the kingdom of Noricum in modern day Austria and Slovenia. The metal was well renowned in its time for its strength, and Noricum was a major provider of weaponry for the Roman army.

Unique Unit: Gaesatae (Spearman)
  • Reduces combat strength of adjacent enemy units by 5 during your turn
  • Stacks with multiple Gaesatae, but does not apply during the enemy's turn. As such, it has no defensive application.
Ptolemy writes about a group of highland mercenaries which he refers to as "Gaesatae," or mercenaries. The word in Gaelic is today believed to be spearman. It's an idea dripping with creative names. While Zaarin doesn't like the naked blue Celt stereotype, there is evidence to support the use of unsettling behavior to dishearten enemies, which is what the Gaesatae is based on. It's a Spearman replacement though so it still sucks.

Unique Improvement: Oppidum
  • Unlocks with Defensive Tactics
  • Must be built on a Hill
  • +4 Combat Strength to units stations in an Oppidum
  • +1 Production, +1 Housing
  • +1 Production with Mercenaries civic
Oppidum were fortified settlements associated with the La Tene culture. They were usually elevated, hence needing to be constructed on a hill. The production is just because I thought housing and production made an interesting combination.

Leader: Vercingetorix
Leader Ability: King over Warriors
  • Can send Envoys to City States while at war with them.
  • Gain military units from City States the first time they become wrapped up in one of your wars. If either a war is initiated while you are allied with them or they become your ally while you are at war, you get a free unit. One free unit. If it's a Gaesatae then hahah.
Just as Pericles means Surrounded by Glory, Vercingetorix means King over Warriors. He was able to unite the many disparate tribes of Gaul, something his father was put to death for, against Rome in an ultimately unsuccessful but very famous revolt. He was even able to turn allies of Rome against them, such as the Aedui at the Battle of Gergovia.

Agenda: Gaul United
  • Will try to gain the alliance of every City State on his continent and dislikes civilizations which compete for or conquer these City States. Likes civilizations which leave these City States alone.
Vercingetorix will try to mimic his real life feat mentioned above and unite the City States of his continent. Sort of. He won't conquer them and will usually liberate them so he can put more envoys into them. The name of the ability is borrowed from the engraving Vercingetorix monument on Mont Auxois, which in turn is borrowed from Julius Caesar.

I love this design!!!

Assyrian Empire - Lead by Ashurbanipal

Leader Ability: Treasures of Nineveh - After conquering an enemy city, gain science worth 4 times the city's combat strength.

Leader Agenda: Fire of Ashurbanipal - Likes having a strong science output, and is not afraid to use war to gain science.

Civilization Ability: Scholars of the Ancient World - All Great Works of Writing provide science in addition to culture.

Unique Unit: Assyrian Siege Archer - An Assyrian archer replacement that has no penalty attacking cities. Has more ranged strength than the archer.

Unique Infrastructure: Royal Library - A unique library replacement that, in addition to provided more science than the library, has 1 slot for a great work of writing.

Unique Unit: Kèlè-bolo (archer replacement, gold purchase cost increase for each subsequent purchase is 20% lower than it otherwise would be, and strike first when attacked by a melee or cavalry unit. Ranged attacks made on fortified units or units in districts reduce fortification bonuses.)
It may be a bit too strong for a UU. The cheaper purchase and the strike first are enough, especially that Mali will already have a bonus gold with the extra slot card and the double adjency bonus for CH. Also, I would suggest you to triple the adjency bonus for CH instead of doubling it, or generating double gold for mines (in reference of malian gold mines). Mali is drowning in faith with its abilities, but it doesn't have that much of income in gold, especially for a civ that encourages to spend as much as possible to generate its bonuses.
Except that, I feel like it is certainly the best designed Mali civ I've seen for now !

It may be a bit too strong for a UU. The cheaper purchase and the strike first are enough, especially that Mali will already have a bonus gold with the extra slot card and the double adjency bonus for CH. Also, I would suggest you to triple the adjency bonus for CH instead of doubling it, or generating double gold for mines (in reference of malian gold mines). Mali is drowning in faith with its abilities, but it doesn't have that much of income in gold, especially for a civ that encourages to spend as much as possible to generate its bonuses.
Except that, I feel like it is certainly the best designed Mali civ I've seen for now !
Many thanks for the feedback! I guess a first strike might be enough, but I did want to allude to the poison somehow, so I'll leave it in as an idea (Firaxis, if they decide to add Mali to the game, could do something similar or different depending on how they go about it)

As for the commercial districts--I felt they are already among the game's most powerful districts, so I wanted the adjacency to be double at most. I guess having them generate faith isn't strictly necessary since the leader ability already generates faith for gold expenditures--I worked that in to fit the Islamic trade theme, but again I guess the leader ability already has that. So I've amended the design to generate double gold on improved mine tiles, and keeping the commercial district bonus, while simply removing the faith connection. :D

Hey guys, this is my first post on CivFanatics!
I posted my concept over on Reddit but didn't receive much attention so I thought I may as well post it here too and see what you guys think!

Civilisation: Harappan Empire / Indus Valley Civilisation
Leader: Went-Antu (Inspired by Tomatekh's Civ V mod)
Spoken Language: Proto-Dravidian
Capital: Harappa

Civ Ability: Trade Seals
Begin with the location of all civilisation and city-state capitals on the continent. +1 Trade Route and Bullock Cart for researching Foreign Trade.

Unique Unit: Bullock Cart
Replaces the Trader. +2 Gold from routes to other civilisations. +1 Gold and +1 Culture from routes to other civilisations on the same continent as your Capital. Requires Foreign Trade.

Unique Building: Great Bath
Replaces the Sewer. +2 Housing, +1 Faith, and +1 Great Engineer point per turn. Requires Engineering.

Leader Bonus: Priest King
Newly settled cities start as the dominant religion in your Capital. +1 Diplomatic Visibility with civilisations you share a religion with.

Leader Agenda: Meluhha
Likes civilisations with active trade routes to Harappa. Dislikes civilisations with Traders within range that do not have routes to Harappa.

Top Bottom