1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Design your own Civ VI civ

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

I think we just differ in our priorities... I think that interesting cultures and gameplay dynamics are the core things when choosing/designing a civ. It's a what-if game to some extent after all. The only requisite fantasy is in leading a historical group of people from the Stone Age into outer space. I don't think a Civ roster needs to be seen as a hall of fame of the most influential civilisations in history.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Amrunril likes this.
  2. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

It does seem we have different priorities, but my priorities are also influenced here by my understanding of Civ VI's focus on leader agendas/abilities as well as Civ abilities, etc.

The problem I see with the Haida/Tlingit is not that they lack unique culture. It's that they lack leaders, cool stories of struggle, and the scale of civilization (whether Amanitore with her hundreds of pyramids or Tomyris with her climactic defense against Cyrus). As such, it's hard to create leader-based gameplay mechanics for such civs, which would be less of a problem for the PNW groups if Civ VI didn't have leader abilities and leader agendas.

I do think that there should be a mix of (somewhat) obscure groups and somewhat iconic ones--but for me the priority is also that the Civ have some scale beyond mere villages. A Civilization in Civ need not be an empire, but Koyah and his village are hardly fitting to take away the slot of more influential Native American groups like the Iroquois Confederacy.

3. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

There's a lot of interesting discussion of civ choice going on here, but I do think it would seem out of place to someone reading this thread without the context of the ongoing elimination thread. In general, this thread's focus has been on putting forward ideas and getting collaborative feedback on them, while the elimination thread (and threads like it) have been the place for questioning which civs belong in the game. I think that preserving that distinction is a good idea, both in terms of making discussions easier to follow (we've been having more or less parallel conversations in the two threads for three days now) and in terms of thread atmosphere: I don't mind the criticism of the Haida and other Pacific Northwesterners as a civ choice (I wouldn't be part of the elimination thread if I did), but I could see others being dissuaded from posting unfinished or outside-the box ideas if having to rigorously defend every element of proposed civs were to become the norm.

As an aside, I'll note that, in addition to the disagreements about specific civs, there definitely seem to be some broader philosophical disagreements about what qualities make for a good civ choice. It might be a good idea to have a thread focusing on those ideas in the abstract, rather than only discussing them when the come up through the lens of a specific civ idea.

Uberfrog and Zaarin like this.
  4. Morningcalm

Fair points.

I don't think every Civ idea need be rigorously defended, but I think when providing ideas for potential civs in Civ VI we ought to follow the criteria of civs in VI--one of those being having a leader with an ability and agenda. The lack of such need not mean that idea is disqualified, but I do think it worthwhile to try to encourage people to fill out gaps in their ideas to present more colorable concepts for Firaxis developers to peruse while here.

This thread has ideas for civs led by Trump among others, though, so that should be a clear sign not all Civ ideas in this thread need necessarily be seriously intended for inclusion in the game. In previous pages in this thread I've asked posters to provide a bit more detail in their ideas. That the Haida post of yours we are discussing lacked a leader (when originally posted) is something I think worthy of discussion. I'm not trying to clamp down on someone's idea so much as engage with it and its potential for inclusion and broader discussion related to Civ VI.

5. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

I am definitely not saying the Haida should come instead of the Iroquois. I think the Iroquois are the most important civilization among the North American natives, and should be prioritized, with the Cherokee in second place. The Haida should be a nice addition to the western part of North America, and are much better than the Shoshone of Civ V or the Sioux of Civ II.

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

To the first question: the PNW was the most densely populated region in North America at the time of contact. The richness of the seas and the temperate rainforests supported enormous populations impossible elsewhere on the continent. To the second: extensively. The Haida were the traders par excellence of the region; their trade canoes wandered the coast from California (source of much-coveted abalone) to Washington (source of slaves from the Nuu-chah-nulth, Salish, and other "Flathead" Indians) to British Columbia (source of fine Chilkat blankets and transformation masks from the Tsimshian and Kwakwaka'wakw) to Alaska (source of sea otter pelts, bear pelts, and drift iron tools from the Tlingit, as well as goods from Aleuts to the north and Athabaskan tribes from the Interior). While not firmly demonstrated, some scholars believe Haida Gwaii may have also had intermittent contact with Kamchatka in Siberia based on certain shared folktales and customs.

Iroquois I agree on, Cherokee I do not. Like the Sioux, they're mostly known for losing, except in the case of the Cherokee it was losing by submission. They were easily the least powerful of the Five Civilized Tribes other than the Seminole. The Creek Confederacy or the Chickasaw make much more sense for a tribe from the Southeast; at least they weren't sold out by their own leaders (well, the Creek were, but the Red Sticks at least resisted it--and prior to that, the Creek were by far the most powerful tribe in the region). As for the Iroquois, I agree that they're the most significant, but they've also been done several times. That's why I propose the Powhatan as their replacement, a tribe that would fill a similar niche and have a much better leader option (Powhatan himself). For the Iroquois, you either have to go with someone attested only in oral traditions (like Hiawatha) or someone who did not lead the entire League (like Joseph Brant); not that either is a bad option, but Powhatan was both historically attested and the singular ruler of his civilization (a confederacy of over forty tribes, in fact).

7. Morningcalm

Good to hear re: the population. Problem re: the trading is that trading trinkets and furs hardly seems fitting for a major civilization. As far as their warfare with Europeans, there's not much there that smacks of a good story, especially given the lack of distinctive leaders, which I must continue to mention is the central reason why the Haida/Tlingit are unlikely to make it into Civ VI (well, aside from their small impact on world history--I mean, even supposing they entered civ I hardly think bonus resource trade buffs are going to be a compelling civ ability). Extolling the virtues of a Native American group aside, a group must have distinctive leaders to appear in Civ in general. This is why the Olmecs, Zapotecs, pygmies, Eskimos, etc are unlikely to make it into Civ VI, no matter how fascinating their culture or artifacts may be.

Zaarin likes this.
  8. Morningcalm

The Sioux

Music: Lakota Lullaby (piano rendition here, other choral rendition with flutes here, and yet another choral rendition here)

This popular song seems to be repeatedly performed by different groups in different forms. It has a catchy melody, and simple lyrics translating to essentially: "Good-hearted boy, go back to sleep / The night is good / I have spoken" (I think this suitable for Sitting Bull, who was led by visions).

Leader: Sitting Bull

Spoiler :

Leader Ability: Vision of Victory (Units gain extra strength when targeted for war by a more scientifically advanced enemy, and when they wage war against another civilization via casus belli. When targeted for war by a more scientifically advanced enemy, or when waging war via casus belli, gain (reduced) line of sight of enemy Encampment districts and Great Generals. Killing enemy units (including barbarians) in your territory or neutral territory garners faith.)

Historical Notes: Sitting Bull (c.1831-1890) was born to the Hunkpapa, a Lakota tribe. In his childhood, this famous and iconic Sioux holy man and leader was originally nicknamed "Slow" for his quiet demeanor. But after killing his first buffalo at 10, and knocking a warrior from his horse at 14, he earned the moniker "Sitting Bull". He was one of the fiercest opponents of U.S. encroachment onto the Sioux lands. Knowing unity among the tribes was necessary to defeat the U.S. Army, he drew numerous Lakota to his cause, and also Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. He frequently made guerrilla attacks on emigrants and forts, both during Red Cloud's War and during the Great Sioux War of 1876.

Sitting Bull was notoriously stubborn in his resistance to the U.S. government, refusing to agree to the Treaty of Fort Laramie (which ended Red Cloud's War with Sioux victory). The Treaty had included the U.S. government's promise to protect Sioux in their land. Sitting Bull's suspicions were confirmed when, after gold was found in the Black Hills, the U.S. went back on their promise to protect the Sioux in their land, and instead tried numerous tactics to take over the Black Hills (including attempts to purchase the land). The Sioux were eventually ordered to move onto reservations, and classified as "hostiles" when they refused, triggering the Great Sioux War of 1876.

As a holy man, Sitting Bull was known for his visions. In 1875, his Hunkpapa joined the Northern Cheyenne, Ogala, Sans Arc and Minneconjou for a Sun Dance (a ceremonial proceeding of immense import), and Sitting Bull around this time had a vision of soldiers "as thick as grasshoppers" falling upside down into the Lakota camp, which he took as a foreshadowing of a major Sioux victory--he was right; just three weeks later, the Lakota tribes and Northern Cheyenne defeated Lt. Colonel George Armstrong Custer at the Battle of Little Bighorn. Sioux soldiers inspired by Sitting Bull's prophetic vision fought back against U.S. attacks on the Lakota and Cheyenne camp at Little Big Horn River (the camp was huge, with over 2,000 Native Americans having left their Indian reservations to follow Sitting Bull). Unfortunately, the Great Sioux War itself ended with the surrender of the Sioux (the victory at Little Bighorn alarmed the US government enough that many resources were used to fight the Sioux).

Sitting Bull fled with his group to Canada, where he met the Blackfeet (led by Crowfoot), long-time enemies of the Lakota and Cheyenne. Sitting Bull proposed peace with the Blackfeet (in a tobacco peace offering), which Crowfoot accepted. Eventually, Sitting Bull and his group were forced by hunger (Canada had smaller buffalo herds) to return to the United States, where he surrendered to the US government. Sitting Bull was transferred as a prisoner of war to a military fort before being taken to the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. Sitting Bull was permitted to tour parts of Canada and the northern United States, during which time he made friends of Annie Oakley, a talented sharpshooter who Sitting Bull affectionately nicknamed "Little Sure Shot". Sitting Bull was allowed to leave his reservation thereafter to join Buffalo Bill Cody's Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, which he toured with for four months, earning money (most of which he donated to beggars and homeless people).

After Sitting Bull returned to Standing Rock, suspicions arose that Sitting Bull was giving support to the Ghost Dance movement (which preached resurrection of dead relatives to fight against white colonists, and included shirts said to stop bullets). Plans were drawn up to stop Sitting Bull's suspected flight from the reservation with Ghost Dancers, and police officers surrounded Sitting Bull's house, where upon they ordered Sitting Bull to mount a horse and speak with the Indian Affairs agent nearby. Sitting Bull refused to comply, and the police used force on Sitting Bull. Sitting Bull's enraged followers shot the police, who fired back, killing Sitting Bull. His legacy continues to inspire portrayals in popular media, as well as (oddly) the interest of a research team from the University of Copenhagen in sequencing Sitting Bull's genome (with the approval of Sitting Bull's descendants).

Leader Unit: Wicasa Wakan

Replaces inquisitor, with more movement speed and religious combat strength than the inquisitor, and can be purchased with faith as soon as the Sioux have created a holy district and a shrine (as opposed to a holy district and a temple).

Historical Notes: The wicasa wankan medicineman was not a "healer" with medicine as such, but rather a spiritual healer and priest of the old Lakota religion deemed to speak for all the wakan (spiritual) beings.

Leader Agenda: Great Sioux War. Dislikes those with many settled cities, and those who attack smaller empires. Likes smaller empires, and those who fight defensive wars.

Historical Notes: During the Great Sioux War of 1876, Sitting Bull's Hunkpapa group attacked forts and migrating parties, and attacked a survey party from the Northern Pacific Railway (they were conducting a survey for a route through Hunkpapa lands). Sitting Bull's attacks halted railroad construction through Lakota, Dakota and Nakota territory. The Lakota's alliance with the Cheyenne caused immense difficulties for the U.S. government, who had tried negotiating treaties, forcing Sioux onto reservations, and destroying camps to pacify the Sioux. The Sioux, for their part, took offense to emigrants entering their land, and the U.S. construction of forts near and within their territory, which they frequently attacked.

Civ Ability: Oceti Sakowin / Seven Fires Council
    • Cattle and other bonus resources granting food grant extra production, culture and food when not harvested. Harvested resources generate a small lump sum of faith.

• Cannot build walls (partially increased tourism from religious artifacts and archaeological artifacts to compensate).

• Can move cities (requires city project completion, which creates a mobile city unit with the same combat strength as the city itself). While on the move, Sioux cities cannot build districts or buildings, and gain reduced resource generation bonuses (based on the districts present in that city before moving). Sioux cities on the move also have reduced resource generation from nearby tiles (including production, science, food, etc), and do not gain amenities from luxury resources. Cities may be resettled, and if resettled, may reconstruct districts for a lower price (if no eligible spot appears for a previously constructed district in the new city location, it is simply moved to the building queue for the normal construction cost). Resettled cities gain +3 amenities for 10 turns.

• Great General point generation increased by 50%, and cavalry units have increased line of sight and reduced maintenance costs.
    (The Sioux mobile city ability helps solves the problem of people who want to relocate districts after constructing them in a less-than-ideal location previously, and obviously the restrictions of the mobile city ability can be reworked depending. Games like Age of Wonders II (Nomads race) have previously also had mobile cities. In Civ VI, I envision the mobile Sioux cities can also travel through Sioux tipis constructed along the path to the new city destinations to offset the resource generation loss somewhat. Sioux can also move cities to settle near their enemies, or away from them, which is historically accurate. It's also about time Civ featured an actual nomadic civ whose gameplay featured mobile dwellings).

Historical Notes: The Sioux were a group of nomadic Native Americans, who formed the Great Sioux Nation, all members of the Seven Fires Council or "Oceti Sakowin".

Unique Unit: Zuya Wicasa (see Lakota Society, by James R. Walker, p. 77)

Mounted cavalry archer that replaces the knight, with the same range as a crossbowman. Gains extra strength when flanking units and when adjacent to other cavalry units.

Historical Notes: "Zuya wicasa" was the term the Dakota used to refer to one who engages in battle (typically foot soldiers following orders, as opposed to the "akicita" or marshals, who gave orders). Of course, numerous other special soldiers could be used as the Sioux unique unit, ranging from the Cheyenne Dog Soldier to a mounted rifleman (Lakota and Cheynne in the Battle of the Little Bighorn used repeating rifles, but the vast majority of Sioux kills in that battle came from bows and arrows or clubs).

Unique Infrastructure: Tipi.

Can be constructed by workers and military foot soldier units (i.e. not cavalry, tanks, etc) in your territory or in neutral territory; may not be placed directly adjacent to another "tipi" (each tipi should visually represent a cluster of tipis). Creates small cultural boundary which may not be culture bombed (and within which amenities may be improved, bonus resources harvested just for the Sioux faith bonus, etc). Grants extra food and faith in city boundaries, and extra combat strength to nearby units when constructed in neutral territory. Can, like Sioux cities, be packed up and moved (requiring civilian/military unit action on the Tipi tile improvement).

Historical Notes: The Lakota word "tipi" refers to durable cone-shaped dwellings used by Native Americans upon the Plains, typically made of animal skins (buffalo hides, etc) upon wooden poles often made of pine or cedar. They provide comfort year-round and can be quickly disassembled. Their portability was important to Native Americans upon the Plains, who lived a nomadic lifestyle.

Comments, criticism, discussion, etc. are all welcome. (I should note the Sioux are spoiled for leader choice: Red Cloud with his successful War (who probably could come with a universal movement bonus for his units), Crazy Horse, leader at Little Bighorn are also good choices, and Gall represents the Sioux in Age of Empires III: The Warchiefs expansion.

Notably, I did not work in buffalo/bison too much into this version, despite the Sioux reliance upon them, as the buffalo/bison do not exist as a resource in Civ VI, and I think giving civs unique bonuses with specific bonus/luxury resources may prove problematic.

I note that the design shifted towards religion/faith based victory given the importance of the spiritual in Lakota life, and particularly in Sitting Bull's life, as he was himself a "medicine man" who had prophetic visions. I think others could look to find more military angles for the Sioux, but hopefully the cocktail of bonuses created above for Sitting Bull and the Sioux are interesting enough to merit further discussion and subsequent refinement.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    altayrneto and Uberfrog like this.
  9. Zaarin

I grant the design is interesting, but I still maintain that, for historical and cultural reasons, the Sioux are the very last Native American civilization I want in game. Personally, though, I think there's no way to reconcile mobile cities and districts; it's a feature I wouldn't mind seeing explored in Civ7, though.

10. Morningcalm

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate your taking a look at it, and the compliment on the design. I think we know (from many, many prior discussions) that we disagree re: the importance/position of the Sioux (whether in history or in Civ), but I do think they present interesting gameplay possibilities as well. Mobile cities and districts could work with some restrictions (so that it's not too fiddly). I think big abilities like this are more in line with the civs of Brave New World (Civ V), which all had civs that broke the rules in some ways (as opposed to the more dull "oh here's a bonus to X unit production, and +2 production over X improvement").

(Hopefully you also liked the Lakota Lullaby music, even if you don't think the Sioux should be in Civ again :p )

Zaarin likes this.
  11. Zaarin

I did indeed; I very much enjoy Native American music. :D And as long as we're discussing Native American music, are you familiar with Haida singer Terri-Lynn Williams-Davidson? She has a beautiful voice and sings in Haida. (Genuinely not trying to plug the Haida here--she just happens to be one of my favorite contemporary Native American musicians, along with the Oneida singers Joanne Shenandoah and Lawrence Laughing, who are probably a little more well known.)

I love civs with bizarre mechanics that break conventions, I just don't see how it could be done in this particular iteration. Districts are too important to every victory condition, and they rely too heavily on the map.

Morningcalm and Uberfrog like this.
  12. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Yeah this is it. I just don't see when you'd want to move your city. Any slight downside of putting a city or district in the wrong spot would be heavily outweighed by the reduced yields you get from upping sticks. If there is a new spot where you think your city would be better placed, why would you not just send a Settler there?

You'd also be hugely susceptible to other players eating up your land as soon as you packed up. True to the sad reality perhaps, but in-game you'd need to constantly declare war to defend your territory from just being settled before your city could move around.

The leader ability is interesting though, getting line of sight and having a very easily defendable religion. Maybe another aspect of the civ should synergise with the religious side of things?

Zaarin and Morningcalm like this.
  13. Morningcalm

Thanks for the discussion--not familiar with those musicians Zaarin but I'll check them out. :)

Re: whether the mobile settlements mechanic can work--the design was intended to be flexible enough to work as either a defensive or aggressive move--i.e. moving away from enemies or moving towards enemies. Another thing that might help for the mobility is giving the Sioux settlers on the starting continent extra land once they settle, but that seems too similar to Russia/the Shoshone. I think another possibility is giving resettled cities nice bonuses (more the longer you've travelled from your original destination). It's true that one of the problems is moving away from land means others can reenter to take it--but they'd have to scout well to know you were on the move. :D

Districts could simply get bonuses for being resettled anew, I think, and hopefully the improved adjacency bonuses from being able to move them to better spots helps. One of the things that irks me most about Civ VI is the inability to move previously constructed districts (I don't have fancy mods that tell me what wonders/districts can go in each spot with an easy visual aid--I have to rely on the base game's visuals which are not helpful as they don't account for future districts, etc.)

In any event, I think the mobile settlements could work--it would just need tinkering. The tipis are intended to somewhat offset the lost land while moving. Of course, it could be potent to allow the cities to move but keep their cultural borders at the same size. Perhaps OP though.

Re: the religious angle, I actually worried I made the Sioux *too* religious! They generate faith from harvesting resources and from killing units under certain circumstances, have a unique inquisitor who can be created earlier than the normal inquisitor, etc...of course, it might help to have faith generation from cattle or certain resources, but I figured I wanted to ensure their military edge was there. I designed around Sitting Bull to a fair degree, as he was a famous holy man, and his prophetic vision makes for an interesting leader ability with many possibilities.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  14. AnonymousSpeed

AnonymousSpeed Pink Plastic Army Man

Assyria:
    Spoiler :
    Unique Ability: Terror of Assyria
    • Enemy Civilizations suffer a large boost of War Weariness when losing a city to Assyria.
    • Receive a boost of food in the capital when conquering an enemy city.

Unique Unit: Zuk Shepe
    • Replacement for the Swordsman.
    • +10 Combat Strength vs. Districts (including City Center) when stacked with a Support Unit.

Unique Infrastructure: Ekal Masharti
    • Replaces Armory.
    • Cheaper than the Armory and is available at Construction.
    • Provides a free Military Engineer when completed.

Leader: Tiglath-Pileser III
    Capital: Kalhu

Leader Ability: Kisir Sharruti
    • Upgrade Costs and Maintenance Costs for Units reduced by 20%.

Agenda: The Most Remarkable Assyrian
    • Will try to keep an up to date army. Dislikes Civilizations with out of date armies or social policies. I don't even like Vonnegut.
    This is a not-very good idea I've been trying to make less bad for a while and eventually decided I'd need other people's input on since I lack the necessary creativity to make it good. I thought they could be focused on support units, since the Assyrians where pretty famous for siege warfare and all that, but I didn't know what the execution or game plan for that would be. I guess you're supposed to amass warriors, upgrades them to Zuk Shepe, and stack them with Siege Towers? Use Military Engineers for +10 combat and roads? I don't know. If only Military Engineers where useful, then I could think of something to do with this.

Ottomans:
    Spoiler :
    Unique Ability: Ottoman Dynasty
    • +1% Culture for each level of Government Legacy bonus in your current Government.
    • +1 Combat Strength for all units for each level of Government Legacy bonus in your current Government, up to +5 Combat Strength.

Unique Unit: Janissary
    • Unlocks with the Nationalism civic.
    • Can only be purchased with Faith, but is quite cheap.
    • 60 Combat Strength, 2 Movement, +5 Combat Strength in the territory of other Civilizations.

Unique Infrastructure: Bazaar
    • Replaces Commercial Hub
    • Does not receive adjacency from rivers, but has double adjacency from districts.
    • Adjacency provides Culture instead of Gold.
    • Generates +1 Great Artist Points if placed next to the City Center.

Leader: Mehmed II
    Capital: Istanbul

Leader Ability: Orban's Bombard
    • Siege Units have +10 Combat Strength vs. Cities after discovering Military Engineering.
    • Siege Units begin with a free promotion.

Agenda: Fatih
    • When at war, will target Capitals and cities with large amounts of Wonders or Districts.
    This is a more recent idea which I didn't do too much with. Honestly, I don't really know where to go with the Ottomans in terms of design, but here it kind of goes for culture, but there isn't really a game plan with this. I like the idea of Mehmed's abilities, though I'm less sure of the execution. It's kind of culture focused, but the Janissary is purchased with faith, so I'm not sure how well that synergizes.

Huns:
    Spoiler :
    Unique Ability: Nomadic Empire
    • Cannot build Settlers or keep Non-Capital cities.
    • When pillaging a district/improvement/building or killing a unit, receive the Inspiration or Eureka for the Civic or Technology required to build it.
    • Receive large boosts of Gold, Science and Culture when conquering cities. These boosts are even larger for Capitals.

Unique Unit: Murder-Your-Face Horse Archer

Unique Infrastructure: MOAR Production for Horsies

Leader: Attila
    Capital: Attila's Court

Leader Ability: Sword of Mars
    • Pillaging Yields are Tripled.
    • Units receive combat experience from Pillaging.
    Agenda:
    This, as you can probably tell, is a very basic outline in my continuing plan to make a Hun civ focused on pillaging the crap out of things. Not sure if I should remove the capital entirely for some weird Barbarian camp kind of thing, but here you have it.

15. Zaarin

I'm not sure I care for such a single-minded Assyria. I feel like Assyria should certainly be very militaristic, but that should be balanced with relatively minor but still significant bonuses to culture and science--after all, Assyria was still a cousin of Babylon. Having Tiglath-Pileser III as leader seems like an excellent opportunity to make the civilization military focused but the leader culture/building focused, since Tiglath-Pileser III was noted for his building projects--making Assyria sort of an inverse Cyrus/Persia.

16. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Warlord

Carthage
    Spoiler :

Ability (Thalassocracy): Carthaginian naval units have +5 combat strength vs enemy naval units. Carthage gets a free trader unit once a Cothon district is completed. Carthaginian cities with their city center on a coastal tile can build a Cothon without counting towards the city’s district limit.

Leader: Hannibal Barca – Ability (Hannibal at the gates): Military units receive +100% flanking bonus. When at war, Carthaginian military units cause the enemy city of which the tiles they are standing on to receive -2 amenities (does not stack). Also during war, Carthaginian military units can move through mountain tiles (maximum of 1 tile movement per turn). Receives the War Elephant unique unit.

War Elephant: Heavy cavalry unit that is unlocked at Horseback riding. 45 combat strength and 2 movement. 120 production to make. When attacking an enemy unit, the attack affects up to 2 units in adjacent tiles that are also adjacent to the War Elephant (right and left of the attacked unit) for 20 damage each. Upgrades directly to Tank.

Unique unit - Quinquereme: Replaces the Quadrireme. Melee and ranged combat strength are 25 and 30 respectively (+5 to both compared to the Quadrireme). Ranged strength becomes bombard strength when attacking enemy cities. Killing enemy units grants +5 Great Admiral points. +20 production compared to Quadrireme.

Unique building - Cothon: Replaces the Harbor district. Must be built on land (coastal tiles only). Gets a +1 adjacency bonus on top of the regular harbor adjacency bonuses. +15% production towards naval units. All Cothon buildings grant bonus +1 Great Admiral point (total of +2 for each building).

Numidia
    Spoiler :

Ability (Desert nomads):
    Numidian cities receive full housing when settling in desert tiles. Desert tiles provide +2 food if next to an oasis and +1 food and production if next to a river. Numidian military units receive +1 movement on desert tiles of any type.

Leader: Masinissa – Ability (Tribal unity): Up to 3 cities with their city centers within 6 tiles of each other share production bonuses and act as one city for amenity purposes (amenities in one city affect the others, luxury resources count these cities one). If a Numidian city is founded up to 6 tiles away from another Numdian city center and is disconnected from the latter’s territory, it immediately annexes extra tiles in that direction so that the distance is no more than 2 tiles.

Unique Unit - Numidian cavalry: Replaces the Horseman. 5 instead of 4 movement and does not suffer movement penalties from hills. Receives +2 combat strength for each tile covered before attacking an enemy unit (not counting the initial tile and the tile the enemy unit is occupying). Costs +20 to produce compared to the Horseman. Upgrades to Cavalry.

Unique building - Dolmen (tile improvement): +1 Faith and +1 Culture. Provides +2 extra Faith and +2 extra Culture for each relic in the city of which the tile the Dolmen was built. Must be built on hills.

RFormica likes this.
  17. AnonymousSpeed

AnonymousSpeed Pink Plastic Army Man

That's an interesting idea, I just didn't really have any ideas for something like that. I'd love to hear your better informed suggestions, like I said, I wasn't super satisfied with how that turned out.

This ability is actually really neat, I like it.

Basileus Rhomaion likes this.
  18. Zaarin

I'd have to give it some thought.

19. RFormica

RFormica Imperator Silvae

For once, something new and unique! I like it ;)

Basileus Rhomaion likes this.
  20. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy The Gangster of Love

Papal States
    Leader: Pope Innocent III

Leader Ability: The Fourth Crusade
    Receives no War Weariness or Warmongering when declaring the Holy War casus belli, which it receives immediately upon founding a Religion.
    Any of the Papal States’ Suzerains which follow its Religion have their militaries levied at no cost for 20 turns (on Standard speed) whenever Innocent III declares a Holy War, or if a Civilization which Innocent could declare a Holy War upon first attacks the Papal States. All units immediately revert to their owner if Innocent declares any wars without utilizing the Holy War casus belli.

Unique Ability: Pilgrimage
    Replaces Traders with Pilgrims, who in addition to the usual trade route yields also produce Faith for the Papal States.
    Pilgrims exert increased pressure for the religion founded by the Papal States at their destinations, and the Papal States receive no religious pressure from other Civilizations’ Religions via trade routes.

Unique Unit: Papal Legate
    Cheaper to produce than the Apostle, which it replaces. Each time a Papal Legate evangelizes to a City-State, the Papal States gain one Envoy there.

Unique District: Holy See
    Cost less production than the Holy Site District, which it replaces, and does not count against a city’s district limit.
    The First Holy See built immediately spawns a Great Prophet if any remain.
    Holy Sees receive an adjacency bonus for City-Centers, Wonders, and Theater Squares. This bonus is doubled where Relics are held.
    Holy Sees increase a city’s trade route capacity by 1.

Leader Agenda: Patrimonium Sancti Petri
    Likes Civilizations which exert less religious pressure on City States than himself. Dislikes Civilizations that evangelize to or convert City-States.

Kimiimaro likes this.