1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Design your own Civ VI civ

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 14, 2016.

1. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Jkchart likes this.
  2. Jkchart

Jkchart King

Yeah it was kind of tough with the unit, thanks for the source! How interesting!

3. Francel

Francel Chieftain

Charles Martel of the Franks.

Agenda: unity of the realm - dislikes civilizations following multiple faiths, likes civilizations whose cities follow the same faith

Civ attribute: missus dominicus - governors deploy two turns faster, generate 2 extra loyalty, and earn 2 faith per promotion

Leader attribute: the hammer - unit maintenance, purchase, and upgrade cost all reduced 25 percent. Warmonger penalty for capturing cities of same religion reduced 75%. Penalty for razing cities of a different faith reduced 50 percent.

Unique building - carolingian school - replaces library, same as library with additional plus 2 faith and plus 1 great writer point per turn and 1 relic slot

Unique unit - paladin - replaces knight, plus 4 combat strength. Victories spread your majority religion and have a 10% chance to produce a relic.

This is my first attempt. Feedback welcome. Thank you.

altayrneto likes this.
  4. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Just felt like seeing if this would work as a civ. Tell me what you think. :)

Indo-European... Empire?
    Leader: Ötzi ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ötzi )

Spoken Language: Proto-Indo-European (Reconstructed)
    Capital: Feldthurns (the modern village near where Ötzi is thought to have been born)

Leader Ability: Mondsee Copper– Gain +2 Science whenever a city is founded near a resource that can be mined. +5% Production for each Mine built within a city, +10% once Bronze Working is researched, +15% once Iron Working is Researched, +20% once Steel is researched. +5 bonus Food per Farm in a city with at least 3 Mines.
    Leader Agenda: Chalcolithic Revolution– Likes civilizations who build lots of Mines and Quarries in their cities, and will try to Mine or Quarry every Resource he can, especially ones required for unit upgrades. Dislikes civilizations who don’t Mine or Quarry Resources, or who don’t use new Resources to upgrade their units.
    Civ Ability: Pramos Teuta*– Every Eureka or Inspiration achieved in the Ancient and Classical Eras funds an additional +15% of the intrinsic Science or Culture cost. Every time a city’s population increases, gain +2 Faith, +3 Faith if the city was founded on Desert, Snow, or Rainforest. Gain +2 bonus Era Score for founding the world’s first Pantheon or Religion.
    Unique Unit: Weimi** – Replaces the Scout. Fast-moving ranged unit with the defense of a melee unit. Ignores Woods or Rainforest when attacking. +5 combat strength when defending in Woods or Rainforest.

Unique District: Dounom*** – Replacement for the Neighborhood that unlocks with Feudalism. Provides up to +6 bonus Housing, like the Neighborhood, and provides bonus Culture equal to its Housing. Yields +1 bonus Culture for each adjacent Woods, Rainforest, Mountain, Tundra or Snow tile, +2 if the tile’s Appeal is Charming, +3 if Breathtaking. Gain +3 Faith if built next to a Natural Wonder. Adjacent Bonus Resources increase their Food yield by +20%, +30% if the district contains a Food Market. Provides +10% additional Tourism to its city in later eras. Cannot be built on Desert or next to another Dounom.

*From reconstructed PIE meaning "First People"
    **From reconstructed PIE meaning "Warrior" or "Man" (iirc)
    ***From reconstructed PIE meaning "Home"

5. Palodios

Palodios Chieftain

The Inuit
    Leader:
    Ekeuhnick
    Leader ability: "The Fire of our People" All units gain +3 combat strength while on Tundra tiles and an additional +7 combat strength while on Ice tiles. Every fortified Unit within the Inuit's borders generates culture equal to 50% of its maintenance. There's a 75% chance of killed Units within the Inuits borders to grant culture equal to 15% of their production cost.

Civ ability: "Avannarleq" The Inuit are able to settle and move over Ice tiles. Ice tiles provide +1 Production and Ice cities offer +3 Food to its population. Tunrda Cities generate +3 Culture and gain +2 Tourism with the Cultural Heritage Civic (also for Qarmat). The Tourism bonus is doubled for Ice cities. Ice cities are destroyed upon reaching zero health. The Inuit capital can`t be settled on the ice

Unique District: "Igloo/Qarmaq" Unlocked at animal husbandry the Igloo is a district which can only be built at least 2 tiles away from the city center and a maximum of six tiles away from it. It costs 15 production and must be built on Ice or Tundra. It works 4 adjacent tiles and collects its yields for the next 3 turns. It gains an extra +1 culture and +1 gold if adjacent to a luxury resource. After 3 turns the Igloo is destroyed and its yields per turn are given to the city for the next 5 turns. If you build 2 Igloos in the same location the third one will become a Qarmaq which is permanent and provides +1 Housing (at least 2) and +2 Food for every adjacent Tundra tile and +1 culture and +2 production for every adjacent coast tile. It can`t be pillaged and replaces the housing district. A Qarmaq claims all adjacent tiles for the Inuit.

Unique Unit: "Qamutik" The Qamutik replaces the Ranger, Has 4 Movement and ignores all Movement penalties while on tundra or Ice. This Unit claims every Tile up to 4 tiles away from a city or Qarmaq

--------------------------------------------------------
    Playstyle:
    The Inuit are a civ focused on gaining as much territory as possible with a very low amount of cities which balances the malus tundra has in contrast to normal plains tiles. This means that they can go tall while still gaining a lot of production and growth through their powerful Igloos and Qarmat. They also have the unique ability to settle upon Ice which makes those cities unconquerable. But due to their Leader ability, they can also defend their tundra cities very well while also generating culture. They want to settle their Ice cities close to tundra anyway as Ice cities have no real way to grow without Igloos or claiming Tundra tiles. They are a culture focused civ which is hard to stop from a culture victory because it is very defensive even with fewer military units. They are potent in the early game and lose momentum later on but should be able to achieve a culture victory. early on they should focus on building Igloos and use their bonuses to rush districts like campuses or theater squares. This will allow them to develop Qarmat which can give huge production or growth bonuses (which results in more production) allowing for tall productive cities best suited for building wonders. The Qamutik will also help expand the Inuits borders to find better spots to build wonders and tile improvements. In the later game, Igloos can be used to double occupy tiles with improvements on them giving temporary boosts. The Leader ability it is hard to regenerate for enemy units as fortifying will give bonus Culture to the Inuits.

Please leave some feedback :D

Palodios

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Ohan likes this.
  6. XVeris

XVeris Chieftain

My original idea before the release of Rise and Fall: State of the Teutonic Order

Civilization: Teutonic Empire (State of the Teutonic Order)

Unique Ability: Deus Vult (No war weariness penalties from Holy, Reconquest, Liberation, or Protectorate Wars. When fighting an enemy unit whose nation follows a different majority Religion, your land military units receive +1 Combat Strength for every Holy Site in Cities following your majority Religion.)

Unique Unit: Teutonic Knight (Replaces Knight. Can be purchased with Faith. Ignores Movement and Combat penalties from terrain when within range of your or an ally's Great General. Nations you have an Alliance with can also purchase Teutonic Knights with Faith when at war with a common foe.)

Unique Infrastructure: Bailiwick (Replaces Commercial Hub. Foreign Trade Routes ending or passing through this City provide this City with +1 Food, +1 Production, and +1 Gold, for every improved Resource in the starting City that provides the respective yield.)

• The Großschäffer, or "chief sales and buying officer," was one of the leading officials in the Teutonic State, utilizing Bailiwicks to tax, control, and improve the flow of commerce passing through the State.
    Leaders:

Spoiler Master Sibrand :

(Coat of Arms of the Grand Master. Cannot find depiction of Sibrand himself)

Leader Ability: First Grand Master (Worship Buildings provide a free heavy cavalry unit when constructed or purchased. Religious Units receive the Medic promotion when purchased.)

Leader Agenda: Crusader's Will (Dislikes those that capture City-States, especially if they follow his majority Religion. Likes those who fight along side him against a common foe.)

Capital: Akkon (Acre)

Spoiler Heinrich Walpot von Bassenheim :

Leader Ability: The Military Order (Active Military Policies provide +1 Great General Point and +2 Faith per turn. Having 3 or more Great Generals active at a time provides an additional Military Policy slot.)

Leader Agenda: Innocent's Rules (Likes Civs who share his majority Religion and have large armies to defend it with. Dislikes Civs lacking large armies, especially if they share his majority Religion.)

Capital: Akkon (Acre)

Spoiler Hermann von Salza :

Leader Ability: The Livonian Branch (Buildings in Encampments grant additional Tiles to the city when constructed, as well as +1 Faith per turn. Trade Delegations and Embassies you offer gift/cost Faith rather than Gold, but increase your Influence towards Envoys by +1 per turn from each Delegation, +2 per turn from each Embassy.)

Leader Agenda: Popes and Emperors (Likes those who accept his Delegations and Embassies, especially if they share his majority Religion. Dislikes those who ignore him diplomatically.)

Capital: Marienburg (Malbork)

Music: Battle on the Ice - Sergei Prokofiev

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  7. Absolution

Absolution Prince

Heeeelllo there!

The king David should speak "Biblical" Hebrew, some expert Jewish scholars can perform a great oration of that language's era to sound as authentic as possible. It should not be less accurate than Aramaic, for sure.
    Giant Killer is a personal youth story of David, I would not pick it for the Leader Bonus (I always prefer abilities that fit to how he was as a leader). Same for the Chosen People.
    Simillarly, Greater Israel can be a good Agenda to describe his regin - he will hate small border countries and city state. I'm not expert in Civ6 stats, but if it is possible, he should be more likely to declare War of Territorial Expansion on smaller neighbours.

Overall I would not create David as the "religious leader", that's not what he was. And while, as told in the Bible, he was most of the times sure that he is ordered by God and serves God, he was not the most Theocratic ruler and not a model for devote kings. He was a Charismatic and Imperialistic leader (yes I play Civ4). I know many people would like to see Israel lead by a religion based leader, but David is not the one for that. Maybe Hezekiah or Josiah can do, but those are not listed among the greatest of Israel's historical leaders in general like David is.

If you want the Israeli Civ to stretch along all of the Israelite/Jewish history, you can use the Special Ability of Start-Up Nation. I can be implemented with extra Great Scientist or Great Merchant points, again, I'm no expert in Civ6 stats.
    However, if you want to refer to the Hashmonean era, Warriors of the Faith can work fine. Maybe extra strength when fighting against units of other, larger, religions. The larger is inteded to differentiate them from missionary Civs, like the Teutonic Order, and to make their religious bonuses in effect only when they fight against more widespread religions.
    Few Against Many can be a good direction for an Ability which describes all of the Jewish history, and ther may be plenty of ways to implenet that.

Regarding the UU - You had a very creative idea here, but I'm not sure we can use those as units. Possibly this kind of military phenomenon should rather be represented in the Abilities or Bonuses somehow.
    I like to see real units as the UUs of Civs. Sadly I'm not familiar with a real unique Israeli soldier type.

The Israeli UB must be the High Place (Bama), to replace Monument.. According to the Biblical text, Monuments were not allowed in Ancient Israel. High Places were a common Canaanite local sacrificial site. This was the place of the early Israelite religious practices before in was centralised to the Temple of Solomon at a much later stage. It could be a Monument with extra religious effects to be calculated.

Alternative Leaders I would like to see:
    Solomon - the opposite of David. Not a military expansionist. A mercantile leader, constructor of districts, and possibly have some diplomatic bonuses.
    Herod - A constructor like Solomon, but with more focus on military, mainly defensive.

For your Greeting - If I had time I would search the Hebrew Bible for some of Davids' finest quotations as a king, or just read some to refresh my memory of his style and compose a greeting accordingly. But for now I'll translate your sentence (flexible wordings, with Biblical scent):
    שלום עליך ידידי! אני דוד, מלך ישראל ונשיא יהודה. אדני ברך את עמי, ובי תקוה כי יברכך גם כן.
    Shalom alecha yedhidhi! Ani Davidh, melech Yisrael wenasi Yehudha. Adhonay berech eth ami, wubi tiqewa ci yevarcecha gam cen.
    (My personally preferred form of transliteration of Biblical Hebrew, I won't expand here but will if you're interested.)

8. Meowzer

Meowzer Chieftain

India (Mughals) - Akbar
    Leader bonus - Unifier

+1 Economic policy slot. Traders cannot be pillaged within your territory.
    Leader agenda - Expansion
    Tries to maintain a high number of trade routes and a strong military.

Haig likes this.
  9. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

Here's my take on the ultimate Tall-Loyalty Civ:

Quebec/French Canada
    Civilization Ability: Resistance to Assimilation
    Loyalty pressure from Population doubled. Applies to every city founded by the civilization even after conquest from foreign civilizations.

Unique Units: Patriote (Roughly equivalent to Redcoats and Garde Imperiale)
    Appears as rebels in a group of six around the City Center near low-Amenities or low-Loyalty cities, currently or previously owned by the civilization.
    Unlike actual rebels, these units are entirely under the Civilization's control.

Unique Building: Hydro Plant
    Replaces Power Plant in the Industrial Zone. Gives +1 Production per River tile worked and Gold equivalent to all Production produced from the district.

Leader A: Jean Talon
    Leader Ability: Colonial Reforms
    Governors double Population growth instead of improving Loyalty. All outputs from Governors doubled.

Leader B: Jean Lesage
    Leader Ability: Quiet Revolution
    When the civilization enters a Heroic era, it receives an inspiration for every civic of the era and the eras before it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Haig and SelmanV like this.
  10. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

Can someone edit the first post to list the Civs everyone has come up with?
    So we don't have to Scroll thru 34 pages totaling 670 posts just to find out if the Civ idea you want has been created yet.

TyrannusRex and Haig like this.
  11. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

A French-Canadian civ would provide an excellent opportunity to explore that side of Canadian history, which isn't often put on the spotlight as much as the English-speaking side of our history, despite it being richer as French Canadians have a longer history. If "British Empire" is represented through Victoria, Redcoats and Royal Navy Dockyard, what really needs to happen is exploring First Nations and French-Canadian side through the Cree and Quebec/French Canada. This also allows representation of French Canada without upsetting Quebec separatists who refuse to see Quebec appearing under the Canadian banner.

Civilization Ability: Resistance to Assimilation
    Refers to the French-Canadian struggle to preserve their culture, first against the British 13 Colonies facing the Atlantic, then some 2 centuries of British/English-Canadian assimilation policies/confrontation, and finally the ongoing efforts to preserve the French language incarnated by modern Quebec nationalism (a recent example of this, as of November 2018, is the outrage from Quebec province when Ontario shut down a Francophone university)

Unique Unit: Patriote
    Meant to be the archnemesis to English Redcoats, who will likely fight enemies far away with the Continent bonus, and Patriotes keep popping up on said faraway lands and throw an organized rebellion all the time

Directly refers to the Rebellion of 1838, and indirectly refers to a later armed struggle incited by a French Canadian-First Nations mixed leader Louis Riel, known as the Northwest Rebellion of 1885, one Poundmaker was involved in. The Rebellion of 1838 was an attempt at Canadian independence and self-governance after decades of the sour relationship between the Empire and its subjugated people and is an important icon for both Canadian identity and Quebec separatist movement. Unfortunately, this Rebellion failed unlike the American war of independence when Redcoats with the Continent bonus showed up.

The Northwest Rebellion was often thought to be the front line of Anglophone/Francophone competition for dominance over Western Canada. French Empire was more lenient to marriages of whites and indigenous peoples, as a result, the Metis (white and First Nations mixed) proportion is far higher in the Francophone community than the Anglophone counterpart. The leader of the NW Rebellion, Louis Riel, was one of them. He was able to persuade a French-speaking Catholic Metis/First Nations people to take arms against the ever-growing Anglophone presence, as a solution to the government's perceived ignorance of the population in the Prairies. He organized two rebellions and was captured alive in the later one. Francophones still perceive the trial and execution of Louis Riel as an unjust treatment from the Anglophone community/British Empire to this very day. (November 16th marks the 133rd anniversary of his hanging)

Leader A: Jean Talon (Colonial Reforms)
    This leader transformed New France from a mere trading post for fur trade into a colony that tries to be more like France. His political career is known for increasing the colony's population by convincing the Carignan-Salieres expedition regiment to settle down in the colony, receiving "filles du Roy" (daughters of the king) to have them married off in an overwhelmingly male colony, promoting expansion and growth in more than one way. The leader ability is also an allusion to the later practice (1760s-1950s) of having 8 children per family on average to resist British assimilation policies to make them lose their French-Canadian identity. It was a devastating experience for the parents, but it truly is impressive that they did this for 2 centuries!

Leader B: Jean Lesage (Quiet Revolution)
    This leader transformed the deeply religious Quebec into the land of sinners where Catholic terminology has been degraded into swear words; in a highly celebrated way, as he successfully defied the powers of the corrupt Catholic church in charge of province's politics, education, health, and every detail of the average Québécois' lifestyle. He led the province's secularisation venture known as the Révolution Tranquille, which would be Quiet Revolution in English. It is said that Quebec successfully achieved in 20 years what other advanced nations took 100 years to become. As such, Jean Lesage is usually admired as the father of modern Quebec. It is also in this time period that old-fashioned French-Canadian nationalism had been replaced by a more integral Quebec nationalism, which has a federalist and a separatist interpretation.

Unique Building: Hydro Plant
    I miss this building from Civ5 and a Quebec civ is an excellent opportunity for this building's comeback. A very important move Lesage pulled off was to nationalize Quebec's electricity generation by creating a Hydro-Quebec instead of relying on previous inefficient companies. Hydro-Quebec allowed the province to pay for expenses the secularization venture needed. As such, they symbolize more than renewable and cleaner energy: it represents Quebec's new future through modernization and industrialization.

12. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

That would be an immense undertaking, so I've avoided doing that...but if you compiled the text for it I can add it to the first post.

13. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

I haven't. I just stumbled on this thread 2 days ago. I clicked on someone's signature in another post. It looks like it's full of good ideas. When I saw the length, I just didn't want to spend several hours of even days looking thru them all. A quick skim would be nice.

14. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

That would mean picking favorites for a "quick skim" highlights section with hyperlinks...with the exception of the joke civs I think such a selection might stir controversy or accusations (perhaps warranted) of bias. The other alternative is uploading links to every single non-joke civ design in this thread, but I simply lack the time for such an endeavor. I haven't updated my thread on Civ historicity either, largely because of RL getting in the way.

15. Meowzer

Meowzer Chieftain

(simpler) KOREA
    UA - Three Kingdoms
    Inspirations provide an extra 20% of the Culture cost for unlocking civics.
    Farms yield +1 Food and Mines yield +1 Science if adjacent to a Campus.
    LB - Unification
    +1 Diplomatic policy slot. Governors generate +4 Loyalty.
    UI - Seowon
    Replaces University. +6 Science. (everything else same)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Haig likes this.
  16. Haig

Haig Deity

I would be interested to read about civ design ideas you could get from these suggestions:

Paraguay led by Fransisco Solano Lopez

Finland, early like ironage era. Led by Väinämöinen maybe..

Genoa (this one I would really like to see but I dont know enough about it)

17. Connor_CivFan

Connor_CivFan Chieftain

Albania (Lead by George Castroit was otherwise known as Skanderbeg)

Civilization Ability: Battle till the end (not my best name ever)
    All military units get increased strength when fighting defensive wars. (undecided how much strength they gain)

Leader Ability: Strenght Through Unity
    Cities cant revolt during a war.

Unique Unit: Stradiot (renaissance unit, no replacements) (Light-cavalry, upgrades to cavalry)
    Melee strength: 60
    Less production cost (undecided)

Unique Building/infrastructure: The locked tower (replaces Barracks)
    + 2 production
    +2 housing
    +2 citizen slot
    +2 great general points
    +25% combat experience for all melee and ranged land units trained in this city.
    May not be built in an encampment district that already has a stable.

Explanation:
    I choose George Castroit to lead the Albanians as he was the first leader to lead a united Albania, He fought many successful battles against the Ottomans and Venetians. On his first battle against the Ottomans, he was outnumbered 3 to 8 and by the end, the commander had almost died, thousands of ottomans killed and the rest either fleed or got captured.

Haig likes this.
  18. Connor_CivFan

Connor_CivFan Chieftain

I did not intend for the leader ability to sound like Georgia's civilization ability.

19. clapyourhands

clapyourhands Prince

With the announcement of the new RS mechanics, I just thought I'd throw out a UI for Siam or another SEA civ (though Siam is the one I had in mind when designing it).

----

UI: Paddy
    Must be built on flat land adjacent to a source of fresh water, or a tile with Rice. +1 Food and +0.5 Housing. At Feudalism, +1 Food if adjacent to a Paddy or to 2 Farms. This improvement cannot be destroyed by flooding. Additionally, Floods are much more likely to increase yields on tiles on which this improvement is built.

+1 Gold at Economics, and +1 Housing at Sanitation.

----

Starts out a little meh as a farm with +1 Food but much stricter placement. +1 Food for an adjacent Paddy is definitely nice. The Paddy shines by taking advantage of river flooding; in addition to not having to expend Builder charges to rebuild destroyed improvements, Paddies are much more likely (exact numbers TBD, but perhaps double?) to receive +1 Food or +1 Production following a flood. This allows them to keep pace and grow into powerhouse improvements over time, though they are limited by the number of floodplains available. +1 Gold at Economics is a final touch to acknowledge the historical importance of rice exportation in the economy.

Ohan likes this.
  20. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

Now that hydroelectric dams are announced for GS, I thought my suggestion needs a better building than a "Hydro Plant", so here we go:

Leader B: Jean Lesage
    Leader Ability: Quiet Revolution
    When the civilization enters a Heroic era, it receives an inspiration for every civic of the era and the eras before it. Hydroelectric dams generate Gold as much as they generate Power/Production.

Hydro-Quebec becomes a Jean Lesage thing rather than Quebec's unique building

Unique Building: Sugar Shack
    Can be built on a Forest tile. +2 Food and +1 Production.

Meant to represent the Canadian lumberjack stereotype (derived from the fact that Wood became Canada's chief export from the Napoleonic Wars and forward), Canadian food surplus, the simplicity of Canadian culture, and more importantly maple syrup :thumbsup: