OK, so here are my designs for two Native American civs we really miss from Civ VI: the Iroquois and the Inca.
As in any of my designs, I present a civilization with two unique units and two leader options.

Iroquois:
Civilization ability: Mourning Wars – an Iroquois unit will withdraw from battle if it is about to get killed unless it starts the battle with very low health, when an Iroquois unit kills an enemy unit there is a 50% chance to add +1 to the nearest city’s population
Unique unit 1: Tomahawk Warrior (swordsman) – +1 movement, does not require iron
Unique unit 2: Ambusher (musketman) – +1 movement in forest, is invisible to enemy units when in forest, +10 combat strength when attacking from a forest tile
Unique infrastructure: Longhouse (neighbourhood) – available at guilds, +4 housing (+1 for charming and +2 for breathtaking appeal after discovering urbanization), +4 food

Leader 1: Hiawatha
Capital: Onondaga
Ability: The Great Peacemaker – upon founding a religion all cities and nearby city-states are converted, having a different government will not cause a negative reaction from other leaders, spreading the state religion in a city gives it +5 loyalty for 5 turns
Agenda: Great Law of Peace – dislikes leaders who have disloyal cities, likes leaders who have loyal cities and especially those who have converted cities of other civilizations

Leader 2: Alliquippa
Capital: Monongahela
Ability: Key Ally – alliances grant one copy of one luxury and one strategic resource the Iroquois do not have and the other civilization does
Agenda: Mingo Queen – dislikes leaders with nothing to trade with her or gift her

Inca:
Civilization ability: Mit’a – roads are automatically constructed between cities with holy sites, food producing improvements adjacent to a holy site provide +1 food, mines and quarries adjacent to a holy site provide +1 production, land military units and workers are produced 25% faster in cities with a food surplus of at least 5
Unique unit 1: Chaski (scout) – +1 movement, starts with the alpine promotion, is more likely to trigger a eureka or an inspiration from tribal villages
Unique unit 2: Chanka Clubman (pikeman) – +5 melee strength
Unique infrastructure: Andén – must be built on plains or grassland hills, +2 food, +1 food when adjacent to another andén or farm, +1 science with civil engineering

Leader 1: Pachacuti
Capital: Qusqu
Ability: Son of the Sun – +10 combat strength on hills, +10 combat strength to units defending in friendly territory, receive a settler upon conquering a city
Agenda: Earth Shaker – dislikes civilizations that have lost cities to other civilizations, likes civilizations that have successfully withstood an attack or a siege on their cities

Leader 2: Huayna Capac
Ability: United Four Regions – may build two government plazas, domestic trade routes provide +1 food for every farm or andén they go through
Agenda: Mother Qullqa – likes civilizations with many granaries and surplus food

Inca

Civilization ability: Mit’a -
Traders can build roads through mountain tiles when estabilishing trade routes . Such tiles behave like hills, and Districts and Improvements can then be built on them.
Unique unit: ???
Unique district:
Macchu Picchu: Replaces Government Plaza . It grants all the Governors' bonus to the cities where the Palace and Macchu Picchu are estabilished

Leader 1: Pachacuti
Ability:
May build Farms on Hills earlier(Civil Service) . Can Build land based wonders on mountain tiles with roads, with terrain restrictions no longer applying to them(but other restrictions still apply)
Agenda: Unifier ???

Last edited:
Byzantines

UA: Bastion of Christendom

Forts and encampments provide a large adjacency bonus.
Theatre Squares, Holy Sites, and Commercial Hubs provide bonus yield.

UU: Cataphract

Medieval mounted unit replacing the Knight, is more expensive and slower than the knight, has higher base strength than the knight, and gains bonus attack against anti-cavalry units.

UB: Basilica

Replacement for the Temple, provides additional faith as well as culture, contains a great works slot that may hold any type of work.

Alexios Komnenos

LUA: Komnenian Restoration

Earn bonus era score for completing Encampments and Holy Sites, more if you are in a dark age.
May select unique dedications upon entering a new age.

Agenda: Crusaders Call
Likes civilizations that have high city strength, dislikes civilizations that neglect walls and encampments.

OK, here's an attempt at Ethiopia, perhaps the number one Sub-Saharan civ that should be in the game.

Civilization ability: Home of the Ark – gain a relic when a civilization on the home continent or a neighbouring continent founds a religion, +4 faith from trade routes with civilizations that have founded a religion, palace has 2 slots for relics
Unique unit 1: Shotelai (replaces swordsman) – +5 combat strength versus mounted units
Unique unit 2: Mehal Sefari (replaces infantry) – +5 combat strength within Ethiopia’s borders, +10 if within the influence of the Ethiopian capital, -20 production cost
Unique infrastructure: Hawilt (replaces monument) – +2 faith, +1 faith if there is a holy site adjacent to the city centre it is built in

Leader 1: Amda Seyon
Capital: Debre Berhan
Ability: Solomonic Restoration – upon expending a great general gain a governor title, +5 combat strength against units of civilizations following a different religion
Agenda: Glorious Victories – dislikes neighbouring civilizations following a different religion that also have large armies, likes neighbours of any religion with small armies

Leader 2: Menelik
Capital: Addis Abäba
Ability: Spirit of Adwa – +5 combat strength on tiles within Ethiopia’s influence, +2 science from trade routes with civilizations Ethiopia has a research alliance with
Agenda: Treaty of Addis Abäba – likes strong civilizations that help weaker ones, dislikes strong civilizations that take advantage of weaker ones

This design combines two important elements of Ethiopia - the unique Ethiopian Eastern Orthodox religion and Ethiopia's status as an independent state. Ethiopia gets both bonuses to faith, and can even benefit from civilizations founding and following other religions; and bonuses to their military. Both leaders get a bonus to combat strength, but while Amda Seyon is more militaristic, Menelik will try to preserve peace, but will not tolerate strong civilizations bullying weaker ones by demanding tribute, making unfair demands, spying on them, denouncing them, and declaring war against them.

Cardinal Richelieu (Alternate Leader for France)

I don't have Rise and Fall yet so can't suggest specific leader bonuses for the expansion, but Cardinal Richelieu would be a great alternative leader for France for 3 main reasons.

1) He was one of the most important figures in French history, as he unified the country and made France the new superpower in Europe during his lifetime.

2) He was the de facto ruler of France in the early 17th century. It would be refreshing to have a Civ6 European leader who is not a king or a queen.

3) He's actually French

His bonus should probably have something to do with religion, diplomacy and perhaps the loyalty/ city flipping mechanic. Anyone who has R&F who'd like to see this leader feel free to offer suggestions. I would suggest the ability be called ' Red Eminence' though because it sounds so badass.

poster-kardinal-richelieu-410530.jpg

poster-kardinal-richelieu-bei-der-belagerung-von-la-rochelle-118415-2.jpg

Here is my idea for an alternate leader for America:

Leader: Abigail Adams
Ability: Remember the Ladies - Any source of Great People Points provides 1 additional Great People Point of the same type per turn.
Agenda: Progressivism - Likes civilizations with many government policy cards and dislikes civilizations with few cards. Tries to get as many policy cards as possible for her government.

Here's a half baked idea for an Iran civilization. I didn't really feel like completing it.

Iran
Unique Ability: Persianization

Unique Unit: Zamburackchi
  • Replaces the Field Canon
  • Has 4 movement instead of 2

Unique Infrastructure:

Leader: Abbas I
Capital: Isfahan

Leader Ability: Naqsh-e Jahan Square
  • +10% Production of Districts and Wonders placed adjacent to the City Center of your capital
  • +10% Production of Districts and Wonders placed adjacent to your Government Plaza
Agenda:

Here is my idea for Austria in Civilization 6.

Leader: Maria Theresa

Civilization Ability: Land der Berge
Builders can walk on Mountain Tiles. +10% Production for all district buildings. Banks, Universities and Museums grant +2 Tourism and +1 Great Musician Points.

Leader Ability: Habsburg Diplomacy
+1 Envoy upon meeting a City-State, even if Austria is not the first to meet them. Other Civilizations loose no opinion points from Austria's interactions with City-States.
+2 Melee Combat Strength for each City-State Austria is a Suzerain of.

Unique Infrastructure: Ski resort
Unlocked in the Atomic Era. Must be built by a builder on a Mountain Tile. Yields +5 Gold, +1 Amenities and +3 Tourism. Cannot be built next to other Ski Resorts.

Unique Building: Opera House
Replaces the Broadcast Center. Grants an atdditional Great Work of Music Slot, +1 Great Musician Point and has reduced maintenance (2 Gold rather that 3 Gold)

Agenda - Dislikes civilizations that attack City- States, Likes Civilizations that build Wonders.

I Hope I didn't make this Civ too overpowered or too weak. They are obviously destined for a Culture victory and a strond diplomatic presence, but I tried to make their bonuses allow for a playstyle that includes Science and Gold, with a decent army to protect Austrian Cities.

Unique Infrastructure: Ski resort
Unlocked in the Atomic Era. Must be built by a builder on a Mountain Tile. Yields +5 Gold, +1 Amenities and +3 Tourism. Cannot be built next to other Ski Resorts.

Unique Building: Opera House
Replaces the Broadcast Center. Grants an atdditional Great Work of Music Slot, +1 Great Musician Point and has reduced maintenance (2 Gold rather that 3 Gold)
So you would have two unique infrastructure and no unique unit? I would only choose one of these and give them a UU, like the Grenzer an Industrial Era melee unit better on defense on border tiles.
Is there any special ability that would allow builders to move on a mountain tile to build a ski resort, because as of now mountain tiles are impassable.
Also I'm assuming that the Opera House would unlock earlier than Radio at say Ballet and Opera Civic.

So you would have two unique infrastructure and no unique unit? I would only choose one of these and give them a UU, like the Grenzer an Industrial Era melee unit better on defense on border tiles.
Is there any special ability that would allow builders to move on a mountain tile to build a ski resort, because as of now mountain tiles are impassable.
Also I'm assuming that the Opera House would unlock earlier than Radio at say Ballet and Opera Civic.
Thank you for those points.
Firstly, Land der Berge allows for Builders to walk on Mountain Tiles ( that is there just to allow for the construction of the Ski Resorts, but I think people would find other uses for it too) Adding the Grenzer is indeed an option, but I would say +5 Combat Strength of border Tiles and no movement penalties in Hills (+ some extra combat strength from Habsburg Diplomacy, ) If we were to add a UU, I would say scrap the Opera House ( yes I forgot to note that it would be unlocked at Opera and Ballet), but make Military Academies also give +2 Tourism and +1 Great Musician Point.

Thank you for those points.
Firstly, Land der Berge allows for Builders to walk on Mountain Tiles ( that is there just to allow for the construction of the Ski Resorts, but I think people would find other uses for it too) Adding the Grenzer is indeed an option, but I would say +5 Combat Strength of border Tiles and no movement penalties in Hills (+ some extra combat strength from Habsburg Diplomacy, ) If we were to add a UU, I would say scrap the Opera House ( yes I forgot to note that it would be unlocked at Opera and Ballet), but make Military Academies also give +2 Tourism and +1 Great Musician Point.
Okay I missed the first part of the ability.
Honestly I would go with the opera house if it were up to me due to their influence in the history of classical music. The Ski Resort and mountain movement sounds more like Switzerland to me, but I know they are similar in culture.

I toyed around with the idea of a female-led Arabic Civ, so here is what I came up with!

Sayyda al-Hurra leads the Berbers in Sid Meier's Civilization Six!

City List: (Contains almost exclusively Almohad/Almoravid cities, two Moroccan Caliphates of Berber origin. Spanish cities are refered to by their Arabic/Berber names, to avoid ovelap with the Spanish City list.)
Spoiler :

Edit: Accidentally first posted this in the R&F features thread. #MassiveBrainfart :hide:

Edit 2: As per Basileus Rhomaion's post below, fixed the portrait.

Definitely a big fan of this character! I think I mentioned her once for a Morocco Civ (totally got argued against by someone who only called her the leader of a single City I believe
:-/ )but she’s super awesome!

Might get a little crap for this, but I'm prepared to grin and bear it. Please be kind, Internet. :please: If I had any skill at computer-ing, I'd consider making this as a mod someday.
Spoiler (Note: Pop culture-themed civ, I do not claim ownership of the IP, blah blah blah) :

Empire of Equestria
Civ Ability: Hoof, Horn, and Wing
The Horse resource adds Population and Housing when improved. All cavalry-class units can be trained without the Horse resource, but deduct 0.5 Population from their city’s population until Horses are acquired. Builders, Settlers, and Military Engineers can traverse Mountain tiles*. Bonus Resources located next to Horses yield +3 additional Food**. Luxury Resources located next to Horses yield +2 Culture and +2 Science***.
Unique Unit: Alicorn
Unique aerial unit that replaces the Fighter****. Increased combat strength when defending. +1 movement, +2 if trained in a city with an Encampment with a Military Academy, +1 for each Cloud Village in the city.
Unique Improvement: Cloud Village
Provides +1 Housing and +1 Culture. Provides +1 Science once Astronomy is researched, +2 if adjacent to a Campus with a University. Provides Tourism after Cultural Heritage is researched. Can only be built on Mountain tiles. Cannot be built adjacent to another Cloud Village.

LEADERS
Princess Celestia
Leader Ability: Princess of the Sun
+3 Great Writer, Artist and Musician Points during Golden Ages, +5 during Heroic Ages. Patronage of Great People costs 10% less Gold and Faith during Golden Ages, 20% less during Heroic Ages.
Leader Agenda: Friendship is Magic
Likes civilizations who try to become friends with every other civilization, and will declare friendships with all civilizations if possible. Dislikes civilizations with few friends or who denounce or go to war with multiple civilizations.

Princess Luna
Leader Ability: Princess of the Moon
+3 Great Writer, Artist and Musician Points during Dark Ages, +5 if Equestria is targeted by a Casus Belli. Patronage of Great People costs 10% less Gold and Faith during Dark Ages, 20% less if Equestria is targeted by a Casus Belli.
Leader Agenda: Nightmare Moon
Likes civilizations who try and repair friendships or diplomatic relations after ending a war, and will try to rebuild friendships with other civilizations if denounced or after ending a war. Dislikes civilizations who remain enemies after wars have ended.

*Because Pegasi can fly, and live in the clouds.
**Because Earth ponies have an excellent green thu----hoof.
***Because Unicorns are magic and tend to be intellectually-minded.
****Don't ask me how it upgrades from the Biplane.

Nice, though given the only four Alicorns we know to exist are princesses, maybe the UU could use some work. I guess you could substitute "Alicorn" with "Wonderbolt." :p

Nice, though given the only four Alicorns we know to exist are princesses, maybe the UU could use some work. I guess you could substitute "Alicorn" with "Wonderbolt." :p
Funny about that...
I was in the process of designing several civs for a lineup of pop culture-themed ones, and I was having trouble thinking of more. I had never even given MLP any thought in my life, in fact, I kind of forgot it existed, until I mysteriously remembered seeing old commercials for A Canterlot Wedding (because I watched the Hub and they were everywhere) and I thought "Wait a minute... MLP has a princess, right? Therefore, a kingdom!"
I started doing research on the wiki, then stumbled across Luna. "Oh cool, alternate leader."
Wikipedia Syndrome set in, clicking on link after link after link.
Long pause.
"...Dang it, I think I like this show."
And that's how Equestria was made I joined the herd :lol:
So yeah, I didn't know about the Wonderbolts at the time and never thought to change it back afterwards. Thanks @Zaarin !

Ottoman Empire

Before designing Ottomans lets look what they got at CIV5;
  • 50% chance of converting a Barbarian naval unit to your side and earning 25 Gold
  • Pay only one-third the usual cost for naval unit maintenance
Ottomans was a great empire with amazing army. They also had enormous navy but they didnt actually investment on navy that much. Most of Ottoman Navy was pirates who raids european countries. Ottomans only want them to not mess witth their coasts raid europe with ottoman banner. The greatest Turkish(Actually he was not Turkish but it is hard to describe an empires citizen) admirals like Barbaross Hayrettin Pasha was pirates at Mediterranean Sea. So that makes sense with these abilities. But is it mandatory to give ottomans that passive? I mean they lose indean ocean to portugals at Ottomans peak. So what can we do?

• In CIV6 i prefer a passive to make armies faster and experienced than usual civs. The power of Ottoman army was Jannissaries (Yeniçeri) and the reason behind this is they were taken from christian families when they were young and trained to become a professional soldier or if there was a smarter kid they take him to Enderun School in palace and train him to be a scientist, high level officer in government or a commander. This system named Devşirme Usulü wich means Gathering Method. With gathering method Ottoman population always remains still and dont lose their manpower because of wars. Every time they conquer cities they also gets new soldiers for army too. This can be the first passive ability for Ottomans. The second is;
  • Enderun School. Enderun School was the highest school in Ottoman Empire. It located inside the palace because Sultans sons were educated there too. Also most of the Commanders, high level officers educated there too. Enderun can replace University and can give more bonuses then university like bonus great scientist bonuses.
For special units i have 2 in my mind. One is;
  • Ofcourse Jannissaries. They are cliche now but you cant think ottomans without them. Jannissaries can replace Musketman. Train half of usual time and spawn with one extra experience bonus. They can go over rivers with no debuff. Because rivers were pain in the ass for Ottomans. Every campaign to europe they pass through countless rivers. And they built countless bridges in Balkans because of it.
  • The second one is special. Probably most of u never heard about them. If u guys visit Istanbul once in your life probably u did hear the voice of Mehter March. Turks was the first civ in world who make a band for his army. And the name of her band team was Mehter Takımı wich is Mehter Company. The name of the March is Ceddin Deden. Fraxis also use this march as musical theme for Ottomans in CIV5. So how can they use a band company in CIV6? Probably the best way is the company will be same as great general. You can get great general too but if you didnt get one u can produce Mehter Band and use it as a support divison in game.

And finally the leader. Most of u probably think Magnificent Suleiman for the leader. But come on... Yeah he was the sultan who makes the empires borders at peak but he also cause to collapse empire slowly. As a Turkish guy I prefer Mehmet II the Conquerer. He was a real intellectual. He knews 6 languages, he conquered Istanbul (or Constantinople), developed the country to empire. Definitly h was the greates sultan in Ottoman Histoy.

And that is all thanks for reading!

Very interestig information. I strongly agree with the concept. I tried to follow it (especially the religious/military/education triad) and present a more developed idea:

Spoiler :

Turkish Empire

Civilization Ability: Devşirme Usulü - +5% cost reduction for land military units for every non-follower of your majority religion (up to 30%). When a land military unit is produced, convert 1 follower of that city to your majority religion.

Unique District: Hammam - replaces the Aqueduct. Has no placement restriction and provides +3 Housing. +1 Housing, +1 Amenity and +1 Great People Points for every adjacent specialty district.

Unique Unot: Sipâhi - light cavalry unit available at feudalism. Requires Horses. 240 production; 55 melee strength, 4 movement, 4 maintenance. +8 Strength when fighting an injured unit. Ignores enemy ZOC.

Mehmet II

Leader Ability: Faith Sultan - Garrisoned units in occupied cities increase loyalty and religious pressure of your majority religion and reduce war weariness. Can build the Yeniçeri unit.

Unique Unit: Yeniçeri - Melee unit available at education. 240 production, 55 strength, 2 movement, 4 maintenance. Heals every turn even if it has moved or attacked. Increased healing and strength if within 2 tiles of a great general.

Agenda: Lord of 2 Lands and 2 Seas - Likes civilizations that have strong armies and are able to keep high loyalty and religious pressure. Dilikes civilizatons with strong armies that have low loyalty or religious pressure.

This idea tries to cope with the quick military draft + religious control idea while also allowing for some stability upon conquest.

The Civ ability allows for quick military production until the time where you have a strong religious presence in a city. The leader ability allows for wars to be engaged for a long time and also reflects the recorded acts of Mehmet II in establishing an Islamic rule on conquered lands. The strong mid-game units can be useful for quite long and each has their unique bonuses - the yeniçeri is a strong unit for engaging a battle front or a siege, and holds its uniqueness on the strong logistics of that faction of the ottoman army; the sipahi can quickly break battle fronts, working similarly to the polish hussard.

Both the civ and leader abilities increase your religious presence in a city, making the turks a religious/militaristic civ by default. Although, the Hammam can be used as a third wheel to help culture/science/economy development or as a way to increase the great general production, and if well placed can also allow for other victory types.

About the enderun school I think that it could be introduced as a world wonder instead.

I just regret not having space here to add the Mether Company (the sipahi seems to me as something quite relevant to be out of the civ...)

Last edited:

SOVIET UNION
colors - Red and Gold.
sb - Tier 3 - Tundra and Tundra Hills. Tier 4 - Mountains.

ca - Motherland
+1 Food from domestic trade routes.
-50% war weariness from combat in your territory.
+15% Campus and Industrial Zone district adjacency bonuses.
+50% Production toward Support units.
Can't build Holy Sites or found a religion.

ui - Khrushchyovka. Replaces Neighborhood.
+7 Housing. -1 Amenity.

uu- Soviet Infantry. Replaces Infantry.
Cost: 380. Cannot be purchased with Gold.
Melee Strength: 60. +10 Melee Strength when adjacent to another Soviet Infantry.
Movement: 2. Maintenance: 5.
Upgrades to Mechanized Infantry.

leader - Lenin

lb - Vanguard
Enemy Spy levels reduced by 1 in your lands.

la - Communist Society
Likes civilizations that are strong in Housing.
Dislikes civilizations that are strong in military but weak in Housing.

Last edited:
Costa Rica

Music: La Guaria Morada

Leader: Jose Figueres Ferrer

Leader Ability: Cuartel Bellavista

Become unable to make military units in the Industrial era. Previous Encampments give 2 housing and 2 spots for great works. Extra military alliance. Can still levy city state militaries. Disbanding military units gives Gold bonus.

Civ Ability: Ecotourism

Rainforest provides 1 culture and 2 gold. All Natural wonders provide tourism starting in the Industrial Era and have double yields.

Unique District: Estación biológica

Replaces the Campus district. Flat adjacency bonus when next to rainforest. Bonus decreases as rainforest is removed.

Unique Improvement: Cafetal

Can build one per city in a rainforest/forest to grant +1 Coffee resource, +2 amenities, and +2 housing. Industrial Zones and Commercial Districts get an adjacency bonus.

Leader Agenda: Anti-authoritarian

Hates civilizations that have Autocracy, Monarchy, Fascism or Communism

I am a beginner to modding. I used to edit the gameplay files, but have never made a mod before.
I want to make a mod for an additional civ, and if any one can help me with it, I'd appreciate.

(fictional) Eastern Eurasia:

Leader: ~

Civ ability:
- Imperial Arsenal replaces Encampment District, costing only 50% as much (as all unique district), and available at game start without any tech required. City with Imperial Arsenal trains combat unit 25% slower (units cost 33% more than normal), but created units gain 1 free Promotion. Major yield toward other districts built adjacent to it.
- All units gain +3 combat strength per Promotion. Units that are unlocked in an earlier era than current era gains +7 combat strength for each era they are behind. (The idea is that older units don't get outclassed by more recent one if you do not have the chance to upgrade them yet, while all units get stronger as you simply progress).
- Unique unit Cataphract: expensive heavy cavalry unit that is unlocked unlocked through the Mercenaries civic (like Winged Hussar). Gain +10 combat strength vs Melee and Anti-Cav units while next to another Cataphract.

Leader ability:
- Units do not cost maintenance. Convert 50% of Gold produced in each city into half that much of Production and half that much of Science.
- Trade routes toward a capital city (a city with Palace, in major civ or city state) yield additional Food and Production.
- Unique unit Cavalry Artillery: expensive ranged cavalry unit that unlock the same time as Field Cannon (at Ballistic). Slightly weaker than Field Cannon, but has 5 Movement, and do not have penalty versus fortification. Do not get obsolete and can be produced in any era.

Agenda: Like anyone who conquer cities, dislike those who raze cities, give up cities, or end a war without claiming new cities.

The idea is that this Civ has to play defensive early game but will bloom mid game, like Germany with Hansa. Imperial Arsenal by itself has no economic power, and to abuse its yield bonus for nearby district, requires good city planning, large population and a lot of time to build the districts. Expensive units and 50% Gold yeild means player cannot quickly purchase units to defend cities when attacked, but rather have to produce them before hand. Player should, and is encouraged to always have a large standing army. Hopefully the no maintenance cost only make up for the low Gold yield, rather than being OP. Trade routes boost is supposed to help with the slow development of new cities, especially early game, so that they can reach high population and build up district quicker.

I notice that most player do not build Encampment early, or at all, so the unique Encampment that boost other districts and available earlier hopefully encourage players to build it more. Also, I notice the lack of late game mobile ranged units (ranged cavalry) so I just throw it in too.

Top Bottom