1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Design your own Civ VI civ

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 14, 2016.

1. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Might get a little crap for this, but I'm prepared to grin and bear it. Please be kind, Internet. :please: If I had any skill at computer-ing, I'd consider making this as a mod someday.
    Spoiler (Note: Pop culture-themed civ, I do not claim ownership of the IP, blah blah blah) :

Empire of Equestria
    Civ Ability: Hoof, Horn, and Wing
    The Horse resource adds Population and Housing when improved. All cavalry-class units can be trained without the Horse resource, but deduct 0.5 Population from their city’s population until Horses are acquired. Builders, Settlers, and Military Engineers can traverse Mountain tiles*. Bonus Resources located next to Horses yield +3 additional Food**. Luxury Resources located next to Horses yield +2 Culture and +2 Science***.
    Unique Unit: Alicorn
    Unique aerial unit that replaces the Fighter****. Increased combat strength when defending. +1 movement, +2 if trained in a city with an Encampment with a Military Academy, +1 for each Cloud Village in the city.
    Unique Improvement: Cloud Village
    Provides +1 Housing and +1 Culture. Provides +1 Science once Astronomy is researched, +2 if adjacent to a Campus with a University. Provides Tourism after Cultural Heritage is researched. Can only be built on Mountain tiles. Cannot be built adjacent to another Cloud Village.

LEADERS
    Princess Celestia
    Leader Ability: Princess of the Sun
    +3 Great Writer, Artist and Musician Points during Golden Ages, +5 during Heroic Ages. Patronage of Great People costs 10% less Gold and Faith during Golden Ages, 20% less during Heroic Ages.
    Leader Agenda: Friendship is Magic
    Likes civilizations who try to become friends with every other civilization, and will declare friendships with all civilizations if possible. Dislikes civilizations with few friends or who denounce or go to war with multiple civilizations.

Princess Luna
    Leader Ability: Princess of the Moon
    +3 Great Writer, Artist and Musician Points during Dark Ages, +5 if Equestria is targeted by a Casus Belli. Patronage of Great People costs 10% less Gold and Faith during Dark Ages, 20% less if Equestria is targeted by a Casus Belli.
    Leader Agenda: Nightmare Moon
    Likes civilizations who try and repair friendships or diplomatic relations after ending a war, and will try to rebuild friendships with other civilizations if denounced or after ending a war. Dislikes civilizations who remain enemies after wars have ended.

*Because Pegasi can fly, and live in the clouds.
    **Because Earth ponies have an excellent green thu----hoof.
    ***Because Unicorns are magic and tend to be intellectually-minded.
    ****Don't ask me how it upgrades from the Biplane.

Zaarin likes this.
  2. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Nice, though given the only four Alicorns we know to exist are princesses, maybe the UU could use some work. I guess you could substitute "Alicorn" with "Wonderbolt." :p

TyrannusRex likes this.
  3. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Funny about that...
    I was in the process of designing several civs for a lineup of pop culture-themed ones, and I was having trouble thinking of more. I had never even given MLP any thought in my life, in fact, I kind of forgot it existed, until I mysteriously remembered seeing old commercials for A Canterlot Wedding (because I watched the Hub and they were everywhere) and I thought "Wait a minute... MLP has a princess, right? Therefore, a kingdom!"
    I started doing research on the wiki, then stumbled across Luna. "Oh cool, alternate leader."
    Wikipedia Syndrome set in, clicking on link after link after link.
    Long pause.
    "...Dang it, I think I like this show."
    And that's how Equestria was made I joined the herd :lol:
    So yeah, I didn't know about the Wonderbolts at the time and never thought to change it back afterwards. Thanks @Zaarin !

Zaarin likes this.
  4. Gökcan

Gökcan Chieftain

Ottoman Empire

Before designing Ottomans lets look what they got at CIV5;
    • 50% chance of converting a Barbarian naval unit to your side and earning 25 Gold
    • Pay only one-third the usual cost for naval unit maintenance
    Ottomans was a great empire with amazing army. They also had enormous navy but they didnt actually investment on navy that much. Most of Ottoman Navy was pirates who raids european countries. Ottomans only want them to not mess witth their coasts raid europe with ottoman banner. The greatest Turkish(Actually he was not Turkish but it is hard to describe an empires citizen) admirals like Barbaross Hayrettin Pasha was pirates at Mediterranean Sea. So that makes sense with these abilities. But is it mandatory to give ottomans that passive? I mean they lose indean ocean to portugals at Ottomans peak. So what can we do?

• In CIV6 i prefer a passive to make armies faster and experienced than usual civs. The power of Ottoman army was Jannissaries (Yeniçeri) and the reason behind this is they were taken from christian families when they were young and trained to become a professional soldier or if there was a smarter kid they take him to Enderun School in palace and train him to be a scientist, high level officer in government or a commander. This system named Devşirme Usulü wich means Gathering Method. With gathering method Ottoman population always remains still and dont lose their manpower because of wars. Every time they conquer cities they also gets new soldiers for army too. This can be the first passive ability for Ottomans. The second is;
    • Enderun School. Enderun School was the highest school in Ottoman Empire. It located inside the palace because Sultans sons were educated there too. Also most of the Commanders, high level officers educated there too. Enderun can replace University and can give more bonuses then university like bonus great scientist bonuses.
    For special units i have 2 in my mind. One is;
    • Ofcourse Jannissaries. They are cliche now but you cant think ottomans without them. Jannissaries can replace Musketman. Train half of usual time and spawn with one extra experience bonus. They can go over rivers with no debuff. Because rivers were pain in the ass for Ottomans. Every campaign to europe they pass through countless rivers. And they built countless bridges in Balkans because of it.
    • The second one is special. Probably most of u never heard about them. If u guys visit Istanbul once in your life probably u did hear the voice of Mehter March. Turks was the first civ in world who make a band for his army. And the name of her band team was Mehter Takımı wich is Mehter Company. The name of the March is Ceddin Deden. Fraxis also use this march as musical theme for Ottomans in CIV5. So how can they use a band company in CIV6? Probably the best way is the company will be same as great general. You can get great general too but if you didnt get one u can produce Mehter Band and use it as a support divison in game.

And finally the leader. Most of u probably think Magnificent Suleiman for the leader. But come on... Yeah he was the sultan who makes the empires borders at peak but he also cause to collapse empire slowly. As a Turkish guy I prefer Mehmet II the Conquerer. He was a real intellectual. He knews 6 languages, he conquered Istanbul (or Constantinople), developed the country to empire. Definitly h was the greates sultan in Ottoman Histoy.

And that is all thanks for reading!

TahamiTsunami and Stomper66 like this.
  5. lp_04

lp_04 Prince

Very interestig information. I strongly agree with the concept. I tried to follow it (especially the religious/military/education triad) and present a more developed idea:

Spoiler :

Turkish Empire

Civilization Ability: Devşirme Usulü - +5% cost reduction for land military units for every non-follower of your majority religion (up to 30%). When a land military unit is produced, convert 1 follower of that city to your majority religion.

Unique District: Hammam - replaces the Aqueduct. Has no placement restriction and provides +3 Housing. +1 Housing, +1 Amenity and +1 Great People Points for every adjacent specialty district.

Unique Unot: Sipâhi - light cavalry unit available at feudalism. Requires Horses. 240 production; 55 melee strength, 4 movement, 4 maintenance. +8 Strength when fighting an injured unit. Ignores enemy ZOC.

Mehmet II

Leader Ability: Faith Sultan - Garrisoned units in occupied cities increase loyalty and religious pressure of your majority religion and reduce war weariness. Can build the Yeniçeri unit.

Unique Unit: Yeniçeri - Melee unit available at education. 240 production, 55 strength, 2 movement, 4 maintenance. Heals every turn even if it has moved or attacked. Increased healing and strength if within 2 tiles of a great general.

Agenda: Lord of 2 Lands and 2 Seas - Likes civilizations that have strong armies and are able to keep high loyalty and religious pressure. Dilikes civilizatons with strong armies that have low loyalty or religious pressure.

This idea tries to cope with the quick military draft + religious control idea while also allowing for some stability upon conquest.

The Civ ability allows for quick military production until the time where you have a strong religious presence in a city. The leader ability allows for wars to be engaged for a long time and also reflects the recorded acts of Mehmet II in establishing an Islamic rule on conquered lands. The strong mid-game units can be useful for quite long and each has their unique bonuses - the yeniçeri is a strong unit for engaging a battle front or a siege, and holds its uniqueness on the strong logistics of that faction of the ottoman army; the sipahi can quickly break battle fronts, working similarly to the polish hussard.

Both the civ and leader abilities increase your religious presence in a city, making the turks a religious/militaristic civ by default. Although, the Hammam can be used as a third wheel to help culture/science/economy development or as a way to increase the great general production, and if well placed can also allow for other victory types.

About the enderun school I think that it could be introduced as a world wonder instead.

I just regret not having space here to add the Mether Company (the sipahi seems to me as something quite relevant to be out of the civ...)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    AnonymousSpeed and Gökcan like this.
  6. Meowzer

Meowzer Chieftain

SOVIET UNION
    colors - Red and Gold.
    sb - Tier 3 - Tundra and Tundra Hills. Tier 4 - Mountains.

ca - Motherland
    +1 Food from domestic trade routes.
    -50% war weariness from combat in your territory.
    +15% Campus and Industrial Zone district adjacency bonuses.
    +50% Production toward Support units.
    Can't build Holy Sites or found a religion.

ui - Khrushchyovka. Replaces Neighborhood.
    +7 Housing. -1 Amenity.

uu- Soviet Infantry. Replaces Infantry.
    Cost: 380. Cannot be purchased with Gold.
    Melee Strength: 60. +10 Melee Strength when adjacent to another Soviet Infantry.
    Movement: 2. Maintenance: 5.
    Upgrades to Mechanized Infantry.

leader - Lenin

lb - Vanguard
    Enemy Spy levels reduced by 1 in your lands.

la - Communist Society
    Likes civilizations that are strong in Housing.
    Dislikes civilizations that are strong in military but weak in Housing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Kurlemushe and Gökcan like this.
  7. Tico-tico

Tico-tico Chieftain

Costa Rica

Music: La Guaria Morada

Leader: Jose Figueres Ferrer

Leader Ability: Cuartel Bellavista

Become unable to make military units in the Industrial era. Previous Encampments give 2 housing and 2 spots for great works. Extra military alliance. Can still levy city state militaries. Disbanding military units gives Gold bonus.

Civ Ability: Ecotourism

Rainforest provides 1 culture and 2 gold. All Natural wonders provide tourism starting in the Industrial Era and have double yields.

Unique District: Estación biológica

Replaces the Campus district. Flat adjacency bonus when next to rainforest. Bonus decreases as rainforest is removed.

Unique Improvement: Cafetal

Can build one per city in a rainforest/forest to grant +1 Coffee resource, +2 amenities, and +2 housing. Industrial Zones and Commercial Districts get an adjacency bonus.

Leader Agenda: Anti-authoritarian

Hates civilizations that have Autocracy, Monarchy, Fascism or Communism

8. Aparioss Frank

Aparioss Frank Chieftain

I am a beginner to modding. I used to edit the gameplay files, but have never made a mod before.
    I want to make a mod for an additional civ, and if any one can help me with it, I'd appreciate.

(fictional) Eastern Eurasia:

Leader: ~

Civ ability:
    - Imperial Arsenal replaces Encampment District, costing only 50% as much (as all unique district), and available at game start without any tech required. City with Imperial Arsenal trains combat unit 25% slower (units cost 33% more than normal), but created units gain 1 free Promotion. Major yield toward other districts built adjacent to it.
    - All units gain +3 combat strength per Promotion. Units that are unlocked in an earlier era than current era gains +7 combat strength for each era they are behind. (The idea is that older units don't get outclassed by more recent one if you do not have the chance to upgrade them yet, while all units get stronger as you simply progress).
    - Unique unit Cataphract: expensive heavy cavalry unit that is unlocked unlocked through the Mercenaries civic (like Winged Hussar). Gain +10 combat strength vs Melee and Anti-Cav units while next to another Cataphract.

Leader ability:
    - Units do not cost maintenance. Convert 50% of Gold produced in each city into half that much of Production and half that much of Science.
    - Trade routes toward a capital city (a city with Palace, in major civ or city state) yield additional Food and Production.
    - Unique unit Cavalry Artillery: expensive ranged cavalry unit that unlock the same time as Field Cannon (at Ballistic). Slightly weaker than Field Cannon, but has 5 Movement, and do not have penalty versus fortification. Do not get obsolete and can be produced in any era.

Agenda: Like anyone who conquer cities, dislike those who raze cities, give up cities, or end a war without claiming new cities.

The idea is that this Civ has to play defensive early game but will bloom mid game, like Germany with Hansa. Imperial Arsenal by itself has no economic power, and to abuse its yield bonus for nearby district, requires good city planning, large population and a lot of time to build the districts. Expensive units and 50% Gold yeild means player cannot quickly purchase units to defend cities when attacked, but rather have to produce them before hand. Player should, and is encouraged to always have a large standing army. Hopefully the no maintenance cost only make up for the low Gold yield, rather than being OP. Trade routes boost is supposed to help with the slow development of new cities, especially early game, so that they can reach high population and build up district quicker.

I notice that most player do not build Encampment early, or at all, so the unique Encampment that boost other districts and available earlier hopefully encourage players to build it more. Also, I notice the lack of late game mobile ranged units (ranged cavalry) so I just throw it in too.

9. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Here is my take on Benin, who recently I discovered would make a great addition to the game.
    Benin Empire (Benin)
    Leader: Idia
    Agenda: Iyoba (Means Queen Mother)- Likes civilizations who have a strong healthy military and culture. Dislikes civilizations who have weak units health wise and less culture.
    LA: Oba Esigie (Son of Idia who she helped militarily by providing forces)- Units gain combat strength if they produce more culture or faith than their opponents. Units can heal faster outside friendly territory as if they were in friendly territory.
    UA: Igodomigodo (Name of the kingdom given by the first king)- Gains culture from strategic and luxury resources once Bronze Working is researched. Gains a culture boost for every artifact extracted from them. Rivers provide more defense.
    UU: Isienmwnenro? (Royal Guard Guild of the King) Still interested in finding about the Queen's Own.
    UI: Ancestral Altar- replaces Shrine- provides culture as well. Can contain a relic or artifact slot. (Could only find what it means in English) I did find the Ikegobo but wasn't an actual place and very small.
    Edited

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    TahamiTsunami likes this.
  10. TahamiTsunami

TahamiTsunami Prince

I decided to look up the Queen's Own as well but it appears that even Google isn't sure what they would've looked like or the types of weapons they used. This Civ 5 mod used the Isienmwenro (a Pikeman replacement) as Benin's UU but I would like to know more about the Queen's Own as well.

11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Thanks. After looking it up the Isienmwenro appear to be a guild, still around ceremonially today, the royal guard of the king so that makes the most since right now.

12. Jkchart

Jkchart King

I know that nomadic civs have been done to death, but I thought of one that could be a fun idea anyway that doesn’t necessarily have to conquer everything to win.

Crimea (based on the Crimean Tatars)

Leader: Hacı Giray

Power: Qaraçı Beys (from the tribal leaders that held lots of power alongside the Giray clan): Governors add an additional .5 loyalty per promotion they have to their cities, including the first (up to +3 more). Every time a tile is improved in a city with a governor, gain 25 faith. Faith purchases are discounted by 15% in cities with governors.

This power represents the influence that the local governors had in the Crimean Tatar state. Additionally, the faith bonuses reflect the importance of Islam in their communities, where Muslim clergy had a great deal of power and even selected local officials.

Agenda: Ak Süyek (from the principle that the ruler should be governed by a descendant of Genghis Khan, therefore translating into a legitimacy-related agenda): likes a Civ with promoted governors and high amounts of land improvement. Dislikes a Civ that does not do these actions.

Power: “Çapuls” (a type of Slave raid undertaken by noblemen) - pillaging a District Tile (I.e. no buildings or all buildings have been pillaged) grants a free builder and removes a population from that district’s city (so long as population is above 1). All Light Cavalry Units Start with the Depradation promotion. Light Cavalry get double yields from all other pillage yields.

This is kind of a conquest-related power, but is more of one to enrich you and build you up than actually conquer. The builders synergize with the Leader ability and allow you to build your realm up more, and to potentially gain more faith to assist you with religion as well!

Unique Unit: Tatar Raider (I’m not sure of a better name); medieval light Cavalry that does not replace anything. It can always move attack and pillage in the same turn (unless that is already a feature), is very fast, and gains a combat bonus if it has pillaged a tile that turn. Additionally, it gains extra XP and gold whenever it pillages. Upgrades to Cavalry.

Unique Building: Han (which are caravanserais and merchant quarters) - a market replacement that additionally grants +1 gold for every resource adjacent to the hosting commercial hub, and adds an additional +1 gold to trading post income in that city. Also reduces the gold purchase cost of builders by 25% (representing the extensive Slave trade in the Crimean Khanate).

Capital: Qırq Yer (The fortress that Hacı Giray made his capital before eventually Bağçasaray was selected).

13. Alexander's Hetaroi

I made many of these along time ago, but since R&F came out, I have made changes to some of them whether major or minor. So here are a few of them to begin with.

Malinese Empire (Mali)
    Leader: Mansa Musa
    Agenda: Lord of the Mines- Wants to have the most gold. Dislikes civilizations with more gold than him. (I know he liked to give away gold as well, but he still would want to have the most imo)
    LA: Great Hajj- +2 Gold, +1 Faith, +1 Science from international trade routes that follow the same religion as Mali. +1 Culture if starting city has a Campus and Holy Site.
    UA: Mines of Mali-Building a mine gives extra gold, extra amenity on a luxury resource. Mines can be built on flat desert.
    UU: Sofa (replaces Crossbowman) Combat Strength when adjacent to Cavalry Units. May be escorted by Cavalry units.
    UI: Treasury- (Replaces the Bank at Civil Service) Gives more gold and one extra trade route capacity.

Italian Empire (Italy)
    Leader: Francesco Sforza (Although I wanted Florence as a Capital I didn't necessarily want to put in another Medici leader.)
    Agenda: Duke of Milan- Likes to purchase with gold but not go bankrupt. Dislikes civilizations that do not use gold wisely by going bankrupt or not spending at all.
    LA: Italic League- 25% discount on purchasing great people and units. Levied units last longer than usual.
    UA: Piazza Duomo- Tourism is doubled for Holy Sites, and Wonders when Adjacent to City Center. Art Museums can hold one more Great work of Art. (Galleria was replaced with Opera House)
    UU: Condotierri Knight replacement with Mercenaries) More combat strength for each different land unit adjacent to it. Must be purchased with gold.
    UI: Opera House (replaces the Amphitheater) +2 Writing, +1 Music Slots at Humanism and Opera and Ballet.

Assyrian Empire (Assyria)
    Leader: Ashurbanipal
    Agenda: Collector-Loves to acquire more Great Works than any other player. Dislikes civilizations who acquire more Great Works than him.
    LA: Royal Library-Provides an extra slot of Great work at the palace and libraries gain a great work of writing slot. Combat strength against opponent if they have great work.
    UA: Iron Age Warfare- Iron is revealed at the beginning of the game. Only one copy of a strategic resource is required to produce a unit. ( I know the Hittites first used Iron weapons but Assyria were the first to use it effectively.)
    UU: Siege Engine- (Replaces Catapult at Masonry) Melee but attacks city center as well as wall.
    UI: Royal Residence- (Replaces Tier one Govt. Building) Grants +4 housing, and 20% production for 10 turns by capturing cities. Also gives a great work slot.

Austrian Empire (Austria)
    Leader: Maria Theresa
    Agenda: Marriage Proposals-Dislikes civilizations that has an envoy to a city state, or a delegation(embassy) to a civilization) she doesn’t have.
    LA: Hapsburg Dynasty- Has an extra Diplomatic Policy Spot. Gain more visibility when sending a delegation or embassy. (Sends her children off to other Civs.) Gains 1 more influence point per turn.
    UA: Baroque Period- 10% Production towards Holy Sites and Theater Square Districts and their buildings along with the City Center buildings. Amphitheaters can hold a great work of music slot as well and produce a Great Musician point per turn. ( I know the Baroque period spread across Europe, but Austria it seems was influenced by it the most.
    UU: Grenzer (Replaces Musketman) Greater combat strength when fighting on your border tiles.
    UI: Alpine Ski Resort- Provides Culture and Gold. Must be built adjacent to a Non-Desert Mountain. Can be built on woods. More gold for every adjacent mountain and only one per city. (Replaced the Opera House with this and gave that to Italy instead. Gave musical attributes in Civ ability. As for the ski resort Alpine skiing is a major tourist attraction. The first known ski resort is claimed by the Austrian village Kitzbuehel.)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  14. Jkchart

Jkchart King

I know european civs are also aplenty, but I accidentally made what I thought was an interesting Normandy Civ when I was just doing some research randomly.

Duchy of Normandy ("Norman Empire")
    -Capital: Rouen
    -Civ ability: Bayeux Tapestry - All historical moments normally worth 1 point are worth 2 points when the player is in a Dark Age or Normal Age.
    -Unique Unit: Mora (representing the Drakkar-style ships William's invasion force used, this one can be colorful like the actual ship named "Mora", which was William's flagship) - The unique Norman replacement for the Quadireme. It is faster and grants a combat boost to adjacent friendly melee naval units and land units. Gets a combat bonus versus districts.
    -Unique Infrastructure: Motte & Bailey (Improvement) - Must be built on hills. Only one per city. Provides +2 loyalty to its hosting city; additional +1 if it is next to either a city center or government plaza, or +2 for both. Provides Tourism after Archaeology is researched. Otherwise acts as a fort.
    -William the Conqueror (ability: Conquest of England) - Conquering a civilization provides enough Era Score to fill the normal age bar, if not yet filled, or the golden age bar if the required era score for a normal era is already met. + 4 CS vs civilizations whose original capital you have conquered. Governors are instantly established in occupied cities.
    -William's Agenda: Domesday Book - Will try to fully conquer opponents. Likes to always repair and improve conquered lands quickly, and likes leaders that do the same with conquered lands. Dislikes opponents that ignore the development of their conquests.

Knightfall likes this.
  15. tarronzeng

tarronzeng Chieftain

Let me try..

Kingdom of Serbia (Serbian Empire)
    Leader: Stefan Dusan
    -Capital-Prizren
    -Civ Ability- Kefalija: When a governor is active in a city, mines will produce twice gold, building a mine in a city with a governor will gain +2 Era Sore
    -Leader Ability- Dusan's Code- When in a Golden Age, tiles are much cheaper and gain bonus loyalty in cities. Also a free wildcard slot.
    Unique Unit- Vitez- Replaces the Knight. They do not have any combat abilities when attacking cities. When capturing a city with this unit you will gain +2 Era Score
    Unique Infrastucture:Fruska Gora Monastery- Buildable on hills, cannot be able to build next to each other. Yields +1 Culture +1 Faith and +1 Science. During Golden Ages this yields are doubled.

16. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

Some new designs I have thought of.

My design of the Thai civilization:

Civilization ability: Great Royal Seals – +5 loyalty in cities that have a trade route to or from the capital, +2 faith from each government plaza building
    Unique unit 1: Ayutthaya Elephant (replaces knight) – -2 movement, +10 combat strength
    Unique unit 2: War Boat (replaces privateer) – not invisible, -1 attack range, +10 melee strength
    Unique infrastructure: Ho trai – can only be built next to holy sites, +1 faith, +2 culture if built next to a theatre square with an art museum or an archaeological museum

Leader 1: Naray
    Capital: Ayutthaya
    Ability: Siamese Mission – gain a double boost in relations from trade delegations and embassies, all alliances begin from level 2 for both Thailand and the ally, walls and encampments are constructed twice as fast when allied with another civilization
    Agenda: Eternal Alliance – likes civilizations that declare friendships and alliances with civilizations on other continents, dislikes civilizations that do not do so

Leader 2: Chulalongkorn
    Capital: Krung Thep
    Ability: Monthon System – receive a builder upon founding a city, governors take no time to establish themselves in a city, cities with a governor construct city centre buildings twice as fast, +1 great engineer point from harbours
    Agenda: The Great Beloved King – likes civilizations that develop the city centres of their cities, dislikes civilizations with many undeveloped city centres

My design of the Maya civilization:

Civilization ability: Divine King – the capital contains a pyramid-temple, a palace replacement that can be built in every city, builders may use a charge to speed up the construction of districts and wonders, units earn faith from killing enemy units
    Unique unit 1: Atlatlist (replaces crossbowman) – -40 production cost, available at engineering
    Unique unit 2: Macuahuitlist (replaces swordsman) – does not require iron, +6 melee strength, may turn defeated units into builders with a single charge
    Unique infrastructure: Pyramid-Temple (replaces palace) – built automatically in the capital, and may be constructed in every city, +1 work of art slot in the capital, +1 faith, +1 science

Leader 1: Pakal
    Capital: Bàakʼ
    Ability: White Skin House – +1 work of art slot in the capital’s pyramid-temple, happy and ecstatic cities construct wonders 10% faster, +5 combat strength against city-states
    Agenda: Sun Shield – dislikes city-states near his borders, dislikes leaders who are too friendly towards city-states, likes leaders who are aggressive towards city-states

Leader 2: Lady Xoc
    Capital: Pa’ Chan
    Ability: Bloodletting Rituals – the holy site prayers project gives units +5 combat strength for 5 turns once completed as well as a 20% chance to earn a relic
    Agenda: Bee’s House – likes civilizations that use faith to purchase units or buildings often, dislikes civilizations that don’t purchase units or buildings with faith

17. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Empire of Haiti
    Led by Jacques I
    (That's Jean-Jacques Dessalines, because iirc L'Overture kiiiiind of betrayed the revolution after a certain point.)

Leader Ability: Freedom from Bondage – Haiti can declare a Protectorate War from the beginning of the game. +30% Production towards military units and Encampment districts and buildings, as well as +2 additional movement for military units during the first 5 turns of a Protectorate War.
    Leader Agenda: Freed Man’s Republic – Dislikes civilizations that conquer or oppress civilizations or city-states not on their home continent. Likes civilizations who avoid doing this, or who keep their conflicts internal.
    Civ Ability: Pearl of the Antilles – Natural wonders within Haitian cities provide +2 Appeal to all tiles within the city. Improvements over Luxury resources provide +1 additional Amenity, and provide bonus Tourism in later eras.
    Unique Unit: Maroon – Industrial Era unique unit. Melee unit that is cheaper to train than others, has high movement speed, and gains a +3 combat bonus when attacking or defending on Hill, Forest, or Rainforest terrain.
    Unique District: Street Market – Unique district that replaces the Commercial Hub. Provides +1 Amenity to its city and provides Tourism in later eras. -2% discount on Gold purchases with each one built, -3% once Guilds is researched, -4% once Banking is researched, -5% once Economics is researched.

18. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Decided to make another one of these. Introducing Boris I, Knyaz of Bulgaria :)

Gameplay Ideas:
    The idea of Bulgaria is simple: you build up your usual early military force, hunt and destroy Barbarian encampments. The chance of getting a relic or Great General Points (15, scaling with era) is 70%, split down the middle (and if Bulgaria have no free relic slots, they will always gain the Great General Points, after the 70% check has been passed).

Once you've earned the GG and Great Prophet, Found your religion, use relics to bolster the pressure, then develop your culture by sending out early Archeologists to get artifacts, which in turn provide additional yields based on your city lay out. The way I see it, the extra yields are as follows:

Aerodrome: +1 Tourism
    Aqueduct: +1 Food
    Campus: +1 Science
    Commercial Hub/Harbor: +2 Gold
    Encampment: +1 Loyalty
    Entertainment Complex/Water Park: +1 Amenity
    Holy Site: +2 Faith
    Industrial Zone: +1 Production
    Spaceport: +1 Production, +1 Science
    Theatre Square: +1 Culture

This way you get a versatile Civ that is adept at war/religion/culture (which are Bulgaria's historical strengths), without being Japan, without being cliché, without being OP or UP and without having "+2 movement + some other generic bonus for 10 turns after you've used this specific type of CB" as a LUA.

Historical Background: Knyaz Boris-Michael of Bulgaria
    • I chose Boris I as the leader because he feels like the Bulgarian Monarch who has made the most impact on Bulgarian history. Simeon is more well-known (and more capable), but it was Boris who paved the way for his legacy. converted Bulgaria to Christianity, established literary schools in Preslav which would invent the Glagolitic (liturgical) Alphabet under his reign, and the Cyrillic one under his son's reign. All of these things led to the replacement of Greek by Bulgarian (aka Old Church Slavonic) as the Byzantine Christian faith's Lingua Franca in the Balkans, severly extending the kingdom's sphere of influence.
    • Boris I also ruled during difficult times: Bulgaria was in a quasi-permanent state of war with Byzantium and had just flunked a war against Serbia under Boris's father Primian I. Bulgaria lost the Byzantine War as well and Boris was thus was forced to convert to Byzantine Christianity. Not shy to convert lemons into lemonade, Boris adopted the name Boris-Michael in "honor" of his new Godfather, the Byzantine Emperor Michael III and forcefully converting the Boyars from paganism. While that looks like zealotry on paper, most of it is pragmatism. Religious divergence between paganism and various denominations of Christianity had divided the Bulgarian boyar elite and Boris wanted them unified under one religious banner just so that Bulgaria would be able to regroup and win the next war. Initially, Boris had planned to convert to Catholicism and align with the East-Frankish emperor Ludwig to use his army against the Byzantines, but that didn't work out well (Bulgaria lost before Boris could negotiate the alliance), so he settled for the next best solution: Pacifying Byzantine relations at a minor cost, biding himself time as he stabilized his empire.
    • Besides, he was kind of a badass. After restoring order to his realm, Boris happily abdicated to become a monk, though he apparently never relinquished his princely authority and still called himself "Archon of Bulgaria" even after his "retirement". So when his son/successor Vladimir sought to restore paganism, effectively undoing all his father's work, Boris came out of retirement, rallied the boyars he had converted against Vladimir, beat him, had him blinded and locked up in a cell to starve. He then called a kingsmoot in Preslav in which he got his third son, Simeon, appointed as the next Knyaz. Simeon would continue his father's legacy and establish Bulgaria as the most powerful state in Eastern Europe, becoming the world's first Tsar.
    Notes:
    • The name of Boris's LUA, Cyrillic Methods is a play on words referencing Saints Cyrill and Methodius, the two monks who invented the Glagolitic Alphabet and acted as missionaries during Boris I's reign. They were instrumental in making Bulgarian culture flourish. The free Great Writer/Propher/General combo Bulgaria get is also a reference to the brothers and their overlord, Boris I.
    • Bulgaria is littered with Thracian Tombs, called "Grobnitsi" (lit: "buried resting places"). The Thracians were all but exterminated by the local slavs when the Bulgars arrived, leaving behind only their massive burial mounds and the treasures. These treasures have become an important part of Bulgarian folklore and I wanted to incorporate that in the ability, somehow. (which I did by increasing their chances of obtaining relics/artifacts + improving them)
    • The Bulgarian strategy of killing barbs is a reference to them driving out the Avars, Pechenegs and Cumans from the region. Loyalty bonus from Encampments next to hills comes from the saudade associated with the Balkan mountains (refered to as "Stara Planina" or Old Plateau) and gives Bulgaria a unique way to counter Loyalty pressure.
    • The Boyar's slower movement is meant to counteract their increased strength and charge bonus (they can get up to +19 extra strength, after all) and does not have any significant historical background (although if you wear heavy plate armour in battle, your mounts will tire more rapidly :p)
    • The Chitalishte (lit.: "place where people are being read to") was initially meant to be a replacement for the Library, but I changed it to the Archaological Museum because they were instituted around the 18th century AD and are more cultural centres in function (they were instrumental in reviving Bulgarian culture in opposition to Ottoman rule). The extra science is a nod to their double role as public libraries. The free Archaeologist is a nod to my parents, who met while working at the Archaeological dig site in Cherven ^__^
    • Bulgaria would use the Slavic (Russia, Georgia) Art Style, their default religion is Eastern Orthodoxy and their leader would speak Old Church Slavonic. They have a Hills start bias.
    • The Bulgarian City list below favours the key cities of the First Bulgarian Empire, though I've also included some from the Second empire as well. The names are medieval and local whenever possible, (or sometimes contemporary, which I find favourable over using the Greek or Roman names)
    Spoiler :

• I am absolutely NOT writing this much again the next time I do this, my god.

19. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

Wow! You have no idea how much I hate those! This is perhaps the biggest flaw in civ/leader design in Civ VI. The way I see it, bonuses are supposed to be useful for every type of player. As a player who almost never declares war, I never use those bonuses, and I always wish there was something in addition to it.

Ohan and TahamiTsunami like this.
  20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Hadn't noticed this before. Very interesting and good suggestions from what I know.
    There isn't much on their military on the web but did find this article which can be downloaded as a PDF https://jamestown.org/report/the-su...-of-the-crimean-tatars-in-the-ottoman-empire/
    Its primarily about the period when they were allies/vassals of the Ottomans. According to that article their raiding parties were known as chambuls (possibly a varient spelling of capul mentioned above) which might be a suitable name for their UU.
    They appear to have been horse archers who could melee as well so they should probably have a ranged attack as well.

Jkchart likes this.