1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Design your own Civ VI civ

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I'll review what you have and give suggestions. I might end up enjoying the research enough to redesign it entirely later. I originally didn't look too closely because I'm interested in Civs that I think will actually make it into the game, but I'll take a look for you :)

From what I can find on the Cocca, they seem to be Venetian ships that merely visited Sicily when doing trade there. Also, the Galley is unlocked with Sailing in Civ6, so I'm not sure where you actually intend the unit to go. Defending trade routes might be good for the gameplay style you're looking for, though I also don't see anything noteworthy about a Sicilian navy anywhere except during Roger II's conquest of Tunisia and raids on Byzantine lands, both of which seem inconsequential to the overall history of Sicily.

I imagine you're looking to represent the "Italian" parts of Sicily. So I think you want to avoid Carthage/Greece/Rome colonies, the Caliphate period, and anything specific to the Spanish/French/Austrian/Norman rulers? But we are looking to represent the entirety of "Italian" Sicily?

Perhaps you could use Garibaldi's Redshirts as the UU. Unlock with the Nationalism Civic, replacing no unit but filling in a gap between Musketman and Infantry (like the Redcoat and Garde Imperiale). Make them cheap to buy (synergizes with the trade gold Sicily will have and represents the voluntary nature), and give them a combat bonus on their own continent (representing liberation). Gives them something to represent modern Italy too, which is important for Civ.

Garibaldi's Redshirts - Unlocks with Nationalism civic. Has 65 combat strength. +10 combat strength on home continent, and 40% cheaper to purchase.

Seems fine, though it needs an unlock tech/civic and some reason not to build them everywhere. Most of Sicily's product has been agriculture, and I believe Vineyards are very nice there. However, I think it would be more interesting to have it further encourage coastal settling for a maritime Civ.

Unlocks at Medieval Faires civic. Can only be constructed on Hills. +1 culture. +1 food if adjacent to a River. +1 gold for each adjacent water tile. Gets more food and culture from civics/tech.

Boosts may seem high, but it should be unlikely that you can get all of them. Also, this Unique Improvement is replacing normal improvements for the tile. Also, this version can only be built on hills and unlocks in the Medieval Era, which means Farms are great improvements.

Generally, with the Trade Route abilities, I like to give foreign Civs an incentive to trade as well.

I don't think Sicily as a whole was much of a religious melting pot. It was just during the Norman era, so it is probably fine to be represented there. I'd probably go with the Sicilian Mafia (which all Mafias derive from), which could be used for some interesting "Italian City-states" and trade gameplay.

Hub of the Mediterranean - Trade Routes to and from Sicilian cities provide +1 culture for Sicily and +1 gold for both parties. Receive +4 gold for each City-state you're a Sovereign of (representing protection racketeering)

The higher trade yields are to offset the bonus your opponents get for trading with you.

Roger allowed people to practice their religions, and he also used learned men of various faiths to administer his kingdom. Since later rulers also established well-known secular universities in Naples (still Kingdom of Sicily, yes?), I think going for the learned route might be able to get 2-in-1. This also implies Renaissance, which the Naples portion underwent (but the Sicilian portion didn't).

Leader Ability: Mediterranean Melting Pot - Each religion present in your empire provides +1 Great Scientist, Great Admiral, Great Merchant, and Great Writer points per turn.

Roger gathered mathematicians, historians, and admirals. Great Merchant is just for the trade focus of the administration as a whole.

Sounds good, though if he has no "Likes" he may end up having more conflict than friends. I don't have an opinion on this; its just something to think about.

The city list suggests that you are thinking of both Kingdoms of Sicily (and thus also the Kingdom of Two Sicilies) with this idea.

Let me know what you think!

2. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Wow... I do like your suggestions. Yes, my idea was focusing on the two Sicilies... Particularly after the Normans invaded and administered Sicily and southern Italy and before it divided. Another thought for the UU was the Muslim Archer, but that was from Medieval II: Total War where I first learned that Sicily was more than just the soccor ball being kicked by Italy... The only thing that I was taught about it on school (this knowledge really boosted my pride in my heritage).

Anyway, you are BOSS. Firaxis should hire you for the expansions and DLC. You've already done half the work for them with your suggestions. :D

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

3. Ikael

Ikael King

Nice thread! I will start my contribution by speculating with one civ that should have been on the base game, me thinks:

Ottomans

Ottoman UA: Janissary. Replaces musketmen. Heals at twice the rate, takes less ranged damage.

Unique Ottoman District: Bazar. Replaces financial district. +1 extra gold per adyacent coast tile, +1 extra amenity per adyacent luxury resource. Bazars also provide increased trade route radious for the city where it is built.

Unique Ottoman ability: "The city of the World's Desire". Your capital Istambul can work one extra hex radious. Wonders located in your capital have double yields and will provide +2 housing each for your city. Trade routes in your capital will generate more food, production, culture, faith and science for you, while also providing additional gold for your foreign trading partners.

Leader: Mehmed II the conqueror

Unique leader ability: Kanun laws. Capitals and holy cities under your rule will generate +25% more culture and gold, including yours (Note: Bonuses will stack! So you may have +50% more gold and culture in a city that is both your capital and holy city). Occuppied city states will still grant you their suzerain bonuses if they have your state religion present on them. Extra faith per different religion present in your cities.

Unique leader unit: Orban bombard. Replaces cannon. It ignores city walls, has +1 hex of range

Leader agenda: Will dislike civilizations that controls holy cities and who occuppies city states. Will like civilizations that trade with him

The Ottomans are a civilization adept at building a massive empire core and a massive empire around said core. Once you get Istambul up and running with a couple of well-chosen wonders and trade routes, you will have enough manpower and output to start building your army. Janissaries will be the perfect complement for your Orban bombards, making the Ottomans great at staging proacted sieges and urban warfare. No enemy of yours will be safe beyond their walls!

If you choose well your conquest targets and avoid the use of inquisitors, you will be able to have a prosperous empire with lots of faith output to boot. And if you need just a little bit more of finantial muscle in order to sustain your defense expenses, the Bazar will help you out with that too!

4. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Haha, thanks. Its tough to design Civs to fit into the actual game when we still don't have the game to know how all the elements interact. I also thought about giving your "Hub of the Mediterranean" ability something more like the Moroccan ability from Civ5 to represent how they traded with everyone due to being in the center of it all, but unfortunately I just don't know how viable such an ability would be.

I could go back and look through the Caliphate period, since I doubt the Sicilian part of the Caliphate is represented by Arabia. But I wanted to avoid it being a purely water/trade Civ, because not only do I think that's Carthage's niche, but Carthage already represents Sicily's trade/naval importance somewhat.

I really enjoy researching and brainstorming ideas for the Civs. Its also fun to then try and rein in my ideas to fit within the game. I wish I could brainstorm with the designers at Firaxis. Group brainstorming is even more fun :D

5. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I have cracked it! I found a way for the developers to include a Judaism-based civ or two without offending Muslims by portraying a prophet in the flesh (David/Solomon). I want to recognize TheKingsRaven and IgorS for presenting excellent ideas for the Israel civ earlier in this thread, on page 3, with some excellent unique units and localized proper names for the unique traits, etc. They were the spark of inspiration I needed to dig through more history to create my idea of a Kingdom of Judah civ focused on defenses and faith in the ancient era:

Judah

Leader: Hezekiah

A renowned and praised king in the Hebrew Bible, Hezekiah ruled Judah in the late eighth century BCE. Hezekiah is famous for his revolt against the Assyrian Empire and its ruler, Sennacherib. Hezekiah also purified and repaired the Temple of Jerusalem and prevented worship of other deities there and strengthened Jerusalem's defenses to prepare for the Assyrian onslaught (constructing the Siloam Tunnel and the Broad Wall, among other things). Sennacherib himself failed to take Jerusalem during Hezekiah's reign, though Hezekiah did pay the Assyrian Empire tribute to encourage them to turn away. Two prophets were active during Hezekiah's reign, including Isaiah.

During Hezekiah's rule, Judah was a powerful nation, described as the "strongest nation on the Assyrian-Egyptian border" at the time. Hezekiah defeated neighboring Philistines and took over their stronghold at Gaza. Hezekiah made military alliances with Egypt and Ascalon. Interestingly, there are many extrabiblical sources attesting to the accomplishments of Hezekiah (including Assyrian records), so none can whine about "he's just a legend" (as some do with Dido, Gilgamesh, etc).

Leader UA: Hezekiah's Revolt. Cities gain +20% defense, and Great Prophets gather at twice the rate while you are at peace.

Hezekiah famously foreswore allegiance to the Assyrian Empire, bringing down the wrath of Sennacherib upon Judah. His defensive preparations and mustering of military forces were the keystones to test the might of the Assyrian Empire.

Leader Agenda: Destruction of the Bamat. Dislikes those who spread religions to him, likes those who follow his religion or do not engage in religious combat with him.

Hezekiah was a famously faithful king, throwing down the "High Places" or "bamat" where sacrifices to idols were made. He also forbade the worship of any deities other than Yahweh.

Judah UA: City of David. Faith-based districts and buildings construct 50% faster in the original capital city, and all faith based purchases in the original capital city refund 20% of faith spent. Religious and military defense in original capital city doubled if you control the original capital city.

Jerusalem endured many sieges and switched hands many times in its storied history, but its central importance as a holy site for several of the world's major religions is clear, as is its tactical and political importance during times of war (and not just during the Crusades). This UA couples nicely with Hezekiah's defensive and religious purpose, and encourages players to centralize faith and defense in their original capital city of Jerusalem, as Hezekiah and many other Jewish rulers did.

Judah Unique Unit: Maccabees. Infantry unit of the Classical era that gains faith instead of 50% of its usual experience gains. Gains attack strength against units of larger empires (more territory/more cities), and attack strength against enemy units in your territory. Your religious combat units gain additional strength near Maccabee units.

The Maccabees were famous rebels who took control of Judea from the Persian Seleucid Empire. They were successful conquerors who expanded the boundaries of Judea and reasserted the Jewish religion, in part due to application of forced conversion. These units couple well with the defensive and religious theme of Judah.

Judah Unique Improvement: Siloam Tunnel. Like the Great Wall of China, this can be built in segments like roads through your cities, and increases food in the cities they connect to, as well as defensive strength. Cities under attack connected to the Siloam Tunnel regain defenses at a faster rate. Siloam Tunnel generates tourism in the Industrial Era and beyond.

The Siloam Tunnel was a water tunnel dug underneath Jerusalem during Hezekiah's reign to thwart attempts by Assyrians to gain water while besieging the city. The Tunnel also ensured that the city defenders had ample water during the siege. The Tunnel essentially diverted water from the Gihon Spring outside the city through the Pool of Siloam and into the city.

daft likes this.
  6. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I don't really have an opinion on a Jewish Civ, but is there any point in a "defensive bonus when at war" ability? The only time you'd need a defensive bonus when NOT at war is when barbs attack you.

7. Morningcalm

Are you referring to the Hezekiah's Revolt ability? I don't see the problem. XD You lose the Great Prophet point extra generation while at war, but gain the defensive bonus instead, and vice versa.

8. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

was going to write a design for Palmyra based on the collab mod i led work on.

OP beat me to it. Damn you OP.

9. Morningcalm

You can always make your own design for Palmyra! I would be interested to see it, including where it differs from the mod. :D

10. UnknownHuman

UnknownHuman Chieftain

Hausa

Leader: Amina

Leader Ability: Ganuwar Amina – Gain the Ganuwar Amina unique building when you research the Castle technology, it replaces the medieval walls. Ganuwar Amina needs half the construction time compared to medieval walls (price is unchanged). Ganuwar Amina gives +25% combat experience for all units trained in the city, if it’s your own city, and gives +4 gold if built in a conquered city.

Amina oversaw the construction of fortification in her own city, which was the blueprint for most of the walls in Hausa states and in various conquered cities. In addition Amina is known to be a valiant warrior and is respected for her military skills, and to have imposed tribute on conquered cities.
    Those unique walls are designed to kick-start your military campaigns, and then to reap the benefice of your campaigns.

Agenda: Magajiya – Dislikes civilizations which trade with city-states she’s trading with, and dislikes civilizations which have a suzerain bonus with a city-state she’s trading with.

The title Magajiya is borne by the daughters of monarchs, under the rule of Amina the city of Zaria became the centre of trade in that part of Africa. The agenda should have a good synergy with the civilization unique ability.

Unique Ability: The Hausa Bakwai

Your trade routes to city-states provide an envoy and gives an additional +4 gold for you and +2 gold for the city-states.

The Bayajidda Legend tells us that Bayajidda, a prince of Baghdad, arrived in the oldest of the Hausa city-states, Daura, and married the queen. Then their seven sons founded other city-states known as the Hausa Bakwai.
    City-states diplomacy will be one of the key elements of the Hausa civilization, the extra envoy gained through trade routes will be a huge boost toward that goal, meanwhile the gold coming from those trade routes will provide you with a strong economy.

Unique Unit: Mandekalu Cavalry

Unlocks with the Stirrups technology; replaces Knight. Can move after attacking, no penalty attacking cities, less production cost, same strength as Knight.

I’ll be honest I didn’t find any sort of unique Hausa unit, so I picked the unique unit of the Songhai from Civ 5. Thematically the Hausa used cavalry, were Muslims, and had an important nobility, so it still fit.
    The lack of penalty to attacking cities should make easier to take them, which is good since you’ll have the gold bonus of the Ganuwar Amina from conquered cities. Moreover this unit was quite strong is Civ 5 because relatively hard to counter, so you’ll have the military ascendant throughout the medieval era.

Unique District: The Tubali Neighbourhood

It’s available earlier than the normal neighbourhood district. Provides housing, +2 amenity, and ignores some unappealing conditions.

Hausa architecture is called Tubali, characterised by the use abstract relief designs and paintings on the facades, but also multi-stored buildings for the social elite.
    This unique district should help you to grow a bigger population sooner, but you’ll still have to create farms for food production, while absorbing possible amenity and unappealing penalties.

Playstyle

The Hausa is a civilization oriented toward trade with city-states and mid-game conquest to reinforce your economy, you’ll also be able to grow larger cities earlier in the game without having too much problem with amenity.

11. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Why wouldn't it just be "defensive bonus always"? Why bother saying "when at war"?

I'm not saying there's a balance issue, I'm saying the mechanic is worded in a needlessly complicated manner.

12. Morningcalm

Ah, I see. I will revise the wording to remove that which offends thee. :p

UnknownHuman, nice ideas! Amina is an interesting leader and one I had not heard of. Is the Hausa civ you've designed based on any particular dynasty or empire? The Hausa seems to be an ethnic classification. Given that the Mandekau are in your idea I'm guessing it's based on a primarily Islamic dynasty or empire?

13. UnknownHuman

UnknownHuman Chieftain

The only resemblance to a form of unified governance was under the queen Amina, which is the period of time used to design the civilization, later on you’ve the Sokoto Caliphate but it’s also under the influence of another ethnic group. Otherwise it was several federations of kingdoms more or less independent from each other, which could be assimilate to city-states.
    Yes the Hausa is an ethnic group, but calling the civilization Nigeria or Niger wouldn’t make a lot of sense.
    The Mandekalu Cavalry is here because those Hausa kingdoms were Islamic, and the aristocracy culture was based around horses.

14. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

Someone was talking about the Pueblo. Here is my idea.
    It only includes the names, you can think of bonuses yourselves if you want.

Leader: Pope (traits and agendas have to do with the Pueblo Revolt)
    UA: Cliff Dwellers
    UU: Tewa Warrior (a mounted archer)
    UB: Kiva

15. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

Another new civ I thought of is Romania.
    Again, just the names.

Leader: Michael (the Brave)
    UA: Europe's Breadbasket
    UU: Roșior
    UB: Fortified Church

16. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Oh, it didn't offend me at all! I just wanted something to talk about

Austria

Leader: Ferdinand I

Leader Ability: Cuius Regio, Eius Religio; Other Civs cannot use the "Holy War" Casus Belli on Ferdinand or his Allies. Your cities and CS you are sovereign of cannot be converted through Theological Combat.

Ferdinand established the Peace of Augsburg that ended a long period of religious conflict in the Holy Roman Empire. The principle "Whose realm, his religion" meant that the Catholics and Protestants could agree to leave each other alone.

Though this ability is very passive, it effectively means that Ferdinand can either ignore religious differences or be very aggressive with religion (like his brother Charles V did before him), knowing that his opponents can't retaliate well. It also encourages other Civs of all faiths to ally with him to protect themselves from Holy Wars, making him Defender of the Faith but also of religious conflict in general.

Agenda: Emperor Elect; Dislikes Civs who are Sovereigns of CS near him, and Hates Civs who conquer those CS. Likes Civs of other religions (to offset the normal dislike from religious differences)

Alternate Leader: Maria Theresa

Leader Ability: Council of State; Recruiting or Patronizing a Great Person grants a random Eureka or Inspiration from the current Era (or next Era if not possible). Gain an Envoy whenever you construct a Specialty District in the original capital.

Maria Theresa was not the most intelligent leader, but she was observant enough to know who was, decisive enough to act on their advice, and principled enough to not be badly influenced. With their help, she implemented several reforms that revitalized the Austrian empire. She established new infrastructure in Vienna and practiced the arts herself. She used her family to establish marriage relations with other states.

This ability synergizes with the normal Austrian ability, unit, and building. It encourages a well-developed capital, enables the Diplomatic Marriages, and makes use of the Great People you already generate.

Agenda: Last of the Hapsburgs; Likes Civs with strong rulers (Autocracy, Monarchy, Fascism) but only if they have good culture. Dislikes Civs with representative rulers (Classical Republic, Merchant Republic, Democracy).

Maria Theresa spent the start of her reign trying to get other powers to recognize her as ruler. She had a lot of trouble with more liberal Enlightenment ideas of representation, since she was used to working so hard to establish an absolute head of state.

Alternate Leader #2: Klemens von Metternich

Leader Ability: Congress of Vienna; May always make an extra proposal in the World Congress and can make deals for votes without stationing a Diplomat in the country.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how the Global Diplomacy system will work or even if they'll ever make one for Civ6, but for now I'll just assume its the same as 5 and edit it when I know enough about 6 to predict what the system should look like and how Metternich would fit into it.

The Congress of Vienna was Austria's high point of diplomatic influence. Metternich was able to not only affect the settlements that ended the Napoleonic Wars, but he also established regular Congresses as a system to ensure peace for nearly a century.

Agenda: Balance of Power; Hates Civs with an individual military stronger than all alliances, or Civs that eliminate another Civ. Likes Civs who are at war with such a Civ.

Metternich fought hard to ensure the Balance of Power in Europe that would keep all the Great Powers at peace. In general, he wished for each of the Great Powers to be kept intact and roughly equal, which meant that intervention was sometimes needed, but never to the point of total victory.

Unique Ability: Diplomatic Marriage

Whenever you Recruit or Patronize a Great Person, receive an Envoy. If you have 5 more Envoys with a CS than any other Civ, you may "Inherit" them, making them a city of your empire but keeping the Sovereign bonus as long as you control the city (Envoys are not returned).

Austrian power came about as a series of royal inheritances and consistent proclamation as the Holy Roman Emperor, causing Austria to receive taxes from all of Germany.

The Envoy system allows for careful arrangement of "marriages". Since just taking CS away from other Civs isn't fun for them, you must have serious sovereignty to inherit (once you're there, just click a button under the Levy Troops button). Since I think a Great People theme is good for Austria, I used that as the benchmark for getting extra Envoys with which to control the "Holy Roman Empire" and secure marriages. Most other triggers would be too common, too rare, or not controllable, afaik from the game mechanics we've seen so far.

Unique Unit: Imperial Landwehr

Unlocks with Nationalism civic. Has 65 strength and 2 movement. +15 strength for fighting in the original capital, -1 for each tile away from that tile (to a minimum of 0). Can be upgraded to from Musketmen, and upgrades to Infantry.

The Imperial Landwehr were units of Austrian culture in the multi-cultural Austro-Hungarian Empire. These were professional soldiers, whose purpose was to defend Austria. The Hungarian portion of the empire had its own independent army, and the cavalry of the empire was divided into Austrian (Dragoons), Hungarian (Hussars), and Polish subtypes (Uhlans).

These units are very strong, especially when defending core Austrian lands.

Unique Building: Opera House

Unlocks with Opera and Ballet civic; replaces Zoo. In addition to the normal Zoo affects and unlocking early, the Opera House holds a work of Music and increases Great People production and Specialist yields in the normal Zoo radius by 33%.

Austria was the center of music for a long period during which France was usually considered the cultural center of everything. Austrian classical music is world famous, even in non-Western cultures, and its state funding for music is quite impressive. Many of these famous songs are probably in this game!

Since this building unlocks so late and requires 2 prerequisite buildings and a Cultural district to even be available, it has a very strong effect. It is more useful the more developed the city is, so it may not be worthwhile or even possible to build it in every city.

Playstyle

Austria will mostly have a strong, well-developed core, with the occasional random lands gained through Diplomatic Marriage. Producing Great People and controlling City-states will create interactions with other Civs. Maria Theresa will all-in on this strategy, while Metternich will use the Global Diplomacy system and Ferdinand will use the religious system.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    daft likes this.
  17. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Thanks! I couldn't find anything about leaders or units. I'll get on this one tomorrow :lol:

18. Ikael

Ikael King

Ok, let me try!

The Pueblo civilization

UA: Tewa Warrior. Replaces archer. Tewa warrior has one extra ranged attack when garrisoned inside your cities or districts, and will ignore movement penalties while fighting inside your territory.

Warriors of the Tewa people were staunch puebloan allies, and they were reknown for their distinctive elk antler bows and for being able to defend the Pueblo people from the incursions of agressive tribes such as the Navajos and Apaches.

Unique district: Greater kiva (replaces holy site district). Recieves +1 faith adyacency bonuses for being near desert tiles, and +1 culture if next to wheat, rice, cotton or spice resources

Kivas were vital religious constructions, surprisingly similar to tekkias, which were able to reach a great level of sophistication and monumentality. They were a central part of the civil life of Puebloan communities, carrying many important celebrations and ceremonies inside of them, with crops such as maize occuppying an important part of the offerings (hence the bonuses for being next to these resources).

Unique ability: Dry farming techniques. Your cities located in non-flooded desert tiles will recieve +1 housing per adyacent hill and +2 per adyacent mountain and wonder. Districts and wonders located in desert tiles will have extra appeal. Resources located in desert tiles will generate +4 food

Well, this is the most characteristic trait of the Pueblo people, and it is kind of self-explanatory. They were adept at building cities in canyons and farming at extremely harsh, dry climates, which made them able to thrieve in territory that was unsought and uncontested by other civilizations.

Leader: Popé

UA: The great native uprising Puebloan cities have higher resistance time and penalties against their conquerors. 50% of the faith output of your cities will count towards unit production. If you start a war with a cassus belli or if you are attacked without one, all your units will recieve a combat bonus during the duration of the war

Much like in the real life, Popé will be a leader apt at resisting colonization efforts and repealing unwanted agressions, hence the military bonuses. The faith counting towards the production of units represents the religious myth surrounding Popé, wich was a messianic figure, as it synergizes with the other civ's traits and nudges the player towards a more active gameplay style aimed at maximizing your religious output in absence of more traditional sources of production.

daft likes this.
  19. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Pueblo

Leader: Po'pay

Leader Ability: Organized Attack – Declaring a Joint War grants a large sum of Faith. Start with a Tewa Protector instead of a Warrior.

Po'pay coordinated (across dozens of tribes speaking different languages) and lead the "Pueblo revolt", which managed to successfully drive the Spanish colonists out of New Mexico. This was in an attempt to resort back to the old religion and bring back the favor of the gods. Though the change didn't last long, when the Pueblo asked for the Spanish to return and protect them from other tribes, they were treated much better than before.

Po'pay is encouraged to coordinate and declare war as many times as possible, which includes fairly fruitless fake wars. However, the need to get someone else to agree to these wars will keep it in check. Starts with a Tewa Protector to fit with the "Old Ways" theme.

Agenda: The Old Ways – Dislikes Civs that convert his people with missionaries (even if he had no religion before). Likes Civs that have ancient forms of government (Chiefdom, Autocracy, Oligarchy, Classical Republic).

In game, Po'pay will start off friendly to everyone, but will slowly get more irritated over the course of the game. Fortunately, even though all of his bonuses are early game, they are very good defensive bonuses. The AI should be able to stay alive even if it picks fights with scary Civs.

Unique Ability: Climate Control

May choose any Pantheon, even if already taken by another Civ. May buy Builders with Faith.

The Pueblo were masters of adjusting the local terrain. Though they lived in rocky desert, they were able to create canals, irrigation, cliffside homes, and more. They believed they could also affect the climate with spiritual power.

Since the Pantheons are a great way to adapt to the land, and Builders are the other way, the Pueblo get to use both through Faith. Hopefully, a mountain start bias is possible so that they can use their abilities. Using Faith also means that the Pueblo will want to settle near Natural Wonders like the Grand Canyon.

Unique Unit: Tewa Protector

Unlocks with Archery; replaces Archer. Enemies cannot pillage tiles adjacent to the Tewa Protector. Has the promotion "Kinship", which grants +8 combat strength when adjacent to a friendly wounded unit without Kinship.

The Tewa are a tribe that agreed to protect the nearly extinct Hopi tribe (who are the Pueblo descendants). Their opponents stopped raiding them and rewarded them with strong bows as a symbol of respect for their strength.

This unit will protect the Pueblo from raids in the early game, but only if they put their Tewa Protectors on the front lines. The Kinship promotion will make their ranged units strong all game if they live that long, but since the ability encourages focusing them down before other units, you may not have any if you use them aggressively.

Unique Improvement: Cliff Dwelling

Unlocks with Masonry. Must be constructed adjacent to Mountains. Provides +1.5 housing and a +8 combat bonus to the tile for friendly units. +1 food if adjacent to a farm, +2 faith if adjacent to a Holy Site.

The Pueblo built their settlements into the side of cliff faces. Giant houses, complete with irrigation and shrines, provided living quarters for many people, all in a very defensible location.

The Pueblo will want to live near mountains as much as possible, even if such areas are arid. Deciding which tiles to use for Cliff Dwellings and which ones to use for Campuses and Holy Sites should provide an interesting puzzle, especially since you'll want farms to make the housing worthwhile.

I chose this instead of the Kiva because I felt that this would be much more visually interesting on the map.

Playstyle

The Pueblo are a defensive, faith-based Civ. They should be able to settle land that nobody else can, but their land will also be highly sought after because everyone loves Mountains in Civ6. Preemptively declaring war on those aggressors is a good way to get free Faith, if you can find an ally.

daft likes this.
  20. altayrneto

altayrneto Prince

Mongolia

Leader: Gengis Khan

Leader ability: Pax Mongolica
    Trade routes from/to conquered cities generates more gold, more science and spread religion faster

Leader agenda: The Descendant of Gray Wolf
    Hates the ones who doesn't pay tributes when he asks (and he will ask a lot), but is loyal to friends.

Unique Unit: Keshik
    Ranged cavalry that replaces Knight. Stronger, faster and better. Have no penalties when attacking cities.

Unique improvement: Ger
    Can be built from the very begining of the game. Each Ger gives +2 housing, +1 Great General points and more 10% combat experience for all cavalry class units trained in this city. Must be built in flat land.

Unique Ability: Steppe Terror
    When you build a cavalary unit, you recive other for free (without the expense of more horses). Raiding gives more gold and heals the unit. +100% flanking bonus when flanking

The Berbers

Leader: Dihya

Leader ability: al-Kahina
    Strong defense bonus vs. units of factions following other religions. When conquered, her cities stay more time in Resistance.

Leader agenda: The last stand of Africa
    She won't ask for peace when at war. She will fight until the last man. (Because of this, she will invest more on defensive warfare). Dislikes neighboors who follows other religions and aren’t pacifists.

Unique Unit: Corsair ship
    Replaces galley. Can enter other civilization's territory without open borders and steal gold from other civ's naval trade routes.

Unique district: Kasbah
    Replaces Neighboorhod. Can be built earlier and gives food and gold, and 50% defensive bonus to units on that tile

Unique ability: Gateway for Africa
    Trade routes from costal cities gives more gold and gives culture. Traders can go further when going through desert.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    PhoenicianGold likes this.