Vladimir I
Civilization: Russian
Capital: Kiev
Leader bonus: Baptism of Rus - After founding a religion, all cities currently owned by Vladimir are converted to his religion and pressure from other religions is eliminated.
Leader agenda: Heir of Sviatoslav - Tries to build many cities connected to each other and likes civilizations who do the same. Dislikes civilizations with few cities or cities lying separately from each other.
Unique unit: Varangian - A Medieval Melee Unit which replaces Man-at-arms, but is cheaper and faster to produce, however more costly to maintain. Gains +2 Movement when embarked and can perform a naval attack when embarked without Combat Strength penalty. Amphibious attack also ignores Combat Strength penalty. Pillaging a tile gets equal amount of Gold to the gained bonus amount (does not matter whether it was Faith, Culture, Science or Gold). If Vladimir has military alliance with other Leader, after training a Varangian, the ally also gets a Varangian in his capital. Icon: Two crossed axes.
Religion: Eastern Orthodoxy
Background: Crowd of Kievans descending into Dnieper to be baptised.
Adds new militaristic city-state Polotsk to the game.
I believe a Russian in Civilization with capital in Kiev is a bit polemic because the war of Ukraine. We don't know what Putin want to do, but if he anex the Ukraine? This game will be supporting this action with a Russian Civ with the capital in Kiev.
I know it is historical accurate put it is inapropriate in the moment.

I believe a Russian in Civilization with capital in Kiev is a bit polemic because the war of Ukraine. We don't know what Putin want to do, but if he anex the Ukraine? This game will be supporting this action with a Russian Civ with the capital in Kiev.
I know it is historical accurate put it is inapropriate in the moment.
Hi, thanks for the response! I realized this while typing but I am too eager to share my idea. I dreamed of Vladimir I to be the Russian Leader since 2021, the year I started to play Civ (VI), (as being huge medieval enthusiast, Peter the Great as Russian Leader was much disappointing for me) but sadly, I came with the idea to this page just now. But as far as I know, Putin has not claimed any territory from Ukraine (only recognised Luhansk and Donetsk), he talked about denazification and demilitarization of Ukraine. So it is probable that Kiev will remain Ukrainian after this conflict even if the Russians will be victorious and thus this Capital will not (perhaps) be controversial. Other option could be Novgorod as it was the original seat of Vladimir before becoming Grand Prince of Rus. But most importantly, I hope this war ends and Russians and Ukrainians will again see each other as Slavic brothers.

This one's not a new civ per se, but I've recently been thinking about how awful Kongo's kit is and how it could be reworked to much more powerful, and more importantly, strategically intriguing.

Religious Convert (Leader Ability of Mvemba a Nzinga)

Problems

As implemented, this ability sounds better than it really is, and it doesn't even sound very good. As Kongo, you're supposed to benefit from all four beliefs of whatever religion that has established itself as the majority in Kongo, but in practice, you can only benefit from two beliefs, maybe three if you're lucky. Worship beliefs are useless for Kongo because they can't build holy sites that are required for worship buildings. Many follower beliefs require holy sites, as well, and these include Choral Music, Feed the World, Work Ethic, Religious Community, and Warrior Monks. The first three are quite possibly the three best follower beliefs in the game. Jesuit Education doesn't require a holy site, but because Kongo has no reliable way of generating lots of faith, it's not likely to be very useful. Divine Inspiration can provide some faith, but it's probably not significant enough for you to do a faith-focused strategy with Kongo. This only leaves Zen Meditation and Reliquaries as viable beliefs. Reliquaries, in particular, can work very well with Kongo, but unfortunately, I don't believe it's one of the beliefs that the AI prioritizes.

To make matters worse, the AI always goes for a worship belief as its first non-follower belief, so you're likely to receive no benefit from this ability at all until the AI decides to evangelize new beliefs, which, for whatever reason, takes a lot of time for the AI to get around doing. Founding a religion, especially on Deity, can be a drag on your early-game progress because it requires so much production, but your effort is supposed to pay itself off soon after you've successfully founded one. A lot of the beliefs don't scale particularly well to be significantly useful in the late game, so if you're going for religion, you really need to make sure you can maximize the benefits early game, and not being able to do that with Kongo makes the Religious Convert ability very weak in practice.

Getting a free apostle upon completing an Mbanza or a threatre square I guess is better than nothing, but again, because the benefits we get as the Kongo from religion is so limited, there's not a whole lot of value with it or a strong incentive for the player to use the apostles for spreading religion.

The final issue with the leader ability is that not being able to found a religion prevents Kongo from being able to get inspirations for three civics through normal means, and these are: Theology, Divine Right and Reformed Church. This is annoying because these unlock two wonders that can synergize well with the rest of Kongo's kit: Mont St. Michel and St. Basil's Cathedral.

Solutions

I'll start with the third problem because it's the easiest one to solve. Kongo should just start the game with inspirations for the three civics. An alternative would be to have them boosted when a religion establishes itself as majority in Kongo for the first time, but I feel even that would be too weak to compensate for how weak this ability will always be just because of its passive nature. If anything, I think Kongo should be able to "double boost" these civics, meaning that all three get fully researched the moment a religion establishes itself as majority for the first time. This will make the player much more eager to get apostles and spread someone else's religion. Maybe the possibility of getting a tier 2 government in the ancient era is a bit too much. As an alternative, the double boost requirement for these three civics can be modified to suit Kongo like the following:

Theology: Found a religion >>> Have a majority religion
Divine Right: Build two temples >>> Build two worship buildings (How??? More on this later.)
Reformed Church: Have six cities following your religion >>> Have six cities following your majority religion in Kongo

The worship belief can be made much more useful for Kongo if Kongo can build worship buildings in their unique district Mbanza. This will allow Kongo to generate the faith they need to make something like Jesuit Education work, although as they are, I think worship buildings are generally quite underpowered in the game. The only way to make them good is to get six envoys into religious city states to improve their faith yield, and that's very hard to do early game. One way to buff worship buildings for Kongo is to allow each worship building built in an Mbanza to essentially be an amalgamation of shrine, temple and itself, which means that it would additionally generate the faith a shrine and a temple would generate and +1 faith upon sending an envoy to a religious city state and another +2 after sending two more. It should not, however, be able to generate any Great Prophet Point, and because excess GPP gets converted to faith, a Kongo worship building would generate less faith per turn than a normal combination of a shrine, temple and worship building. An alternative would be to give a unique worship building and have them ignore the worship belief of their majority religion, although I'm not very familiar with the history and culture of the Kongolese people, so I'm not aware of any element from their culture that could be used as an inspiration for such a building.

The follower belief problem is a bit tricky to tackle. One solution would be to turn Mbanza into essentially a unique holy site, which would be consistent with the idea of adding a shrine and a temple to each Kongolese worship building. Though, as much as I think Kongo could use a massive rework, I'd like them to retain some of the characteristics they currently have. There are other civs in the game that have either unique holy sites or holy site buildings, but only Kongo has a unique neighbourhood, and I think that's really cool. Instead, I think Kongo should have the option of replacing the follower belief they've received with one from a unique set of beliefs only available to Kongo. Although all my recommendations are focused on improving gameplay aspects of playing as Kongo, I want to say that it's counterintuitive that a civilization whose culture is so vastly different from the one that has exported a religion to it -- to the point where it can't build the infrastructure for worshipping that the exporter can -- should accept the religion as-is without adapting some of its elements to fit its own culture. After Kongo has switched to a new follower belief, Kongo's version should be recognized as a sect that does not compete with the orthodox (?) body, because it doesn't need to. When you spread your religion as Kongo to another civ, that civ will not receive your follower belief, but the orthodox one. Otherwise, the Kongolese follower belief will work exactly the same way as a regular follower belief in that a) it's attached to a specific religion and b) only cities with that religion as majority can benefit from it. I emphasize this because otherwise this feature just becomes a way for Kongo to obtain a second pantheon, and this will give Kongo further incentives to spread its majority religion. In addition, Kongo should be allowed to use this ability only once in the game, and not be able to create a new sect for every religion that establishes itself as majority at some point or another. This will force the player to be more judicious with when they choose to use this ability.

Nkisi (Civilization Ability)

Kongo's ability to gain additional yields from certain great works, once again, sounds better than it really is. Kongo has no reliable way of generating relics, artifacts and sculptures come too late in the game to be impactful, and sculptures have the additional problem of being too niche, although I suppose it's this way for historical reasons. The issue of relic generation should be somewhat addressed by some of the solutions I proposed earlier, particularly the ability to unlock Mont St. Michel much earlier than usual. One way to allow Kongo to collect artifacts earlier is to give them artifacts after killing enemy units. For the sake of balancing, there will probably need to be some restrictions. For instance, this ability could be restricted to their unique unit Ngao Mbeba. Additionally, the ability could only apply to killing units from civs that do not follow Kongo's religion or perhaps civs that have founded a religion that isn't Kongo's majority religion. Not only would this eliminate the obvious problem of farming barbarians for artifacts, it would also go hand-in-hand with Mvemba's AI agenda. There's also another balancing mechanism that is already part of Kongo's kit, which is that Kongo's early artifacts will have to go in one of the five slots in the palace, which they have to share with relics, so it will be impossible for Kongo to collect too many of these until they've unlocked some of the later civics.

With Kongo's ability to collect relics and artifacts buffed appropriately, I don't think it would be necessary to buff their ability to collect sculptures, especially given the 50% boost to Great Artist Point generation they already have, although I've long wanted a way to direct Great People Point generation toward certain GPs, rather than having players just generate points more or less blindly toward whatever GP that comes up next. I made a proposal for this change months ago here, and I used sculptors as an example, which is particularly relevant to Kongo.

The proposed changes would create an interesting strategic path Kongo can follow throughout the game, in which, if played right, they'd be able to collect different types of items that benefit from Nkisi at different phases of the game. Ngao Mbeba is unlocked at Iron Working in the classical era, and if you're lucky (and you'll never be able to take this element out of Kongo), you will have received a religion, and if you've done the necessary war prep, you'll be able to go to war with another civ with a different religion and pick up some early game artifacts that can make your capital very powerful. In the meantime, you can start working on Mont St. Michel, using the production boost from the artifacts + Gothic Architecture + an early second-tier government with extra policy slots. You should be the favourite to get the wonder, but it won't necessarily be a piece of cake, because if you already have artifacts by this point, it probably means you had to rush Iron Working and committed much of your early-game resources to war. In fact, you may still be embroiled in war, and you need to decide whether you want to further commit to war, which might mean you can't afford to work on this expensive wonder. Also, rushing Iron Working means you've gone down a path down the tech tree that veers away from Apprenticeship (and probably Writing as well), which is one of the first techs that give a major boost to production. Eventually, Ngao Mbeba will become obsolete, and you'll want to switch your focus to collecting relics. The completion of Mont St. Michel should time pretty well with roughly when other religious civs start producing apostles you can throw your martyrs at. Of course, the wonder comes with three relic slots, so you should be okay even if you've already filled up all five palace slots with artifacts. The relic collection phase can be extended when you complete St. Basil's Cathedral, which should be unlocked fairly soon after Mont St. Michel, giving you extra relic slots, as well as early religious tourism boost, which is usually hard to take advantage of because of Enlightenment. While the St. Basil's Cathedral is being built and you're collecting relics, you should be working toward Humanism, which unlocks both art and archaeological museums. Again, normally, you wouldn't be able to make good use of archaeological museums when they first become available, but now you're in a position where they can be useful right away, because you can move the artifacts from the capital into a museum, which frees up slots for more relics. This is also around the same time you'll be able to start working on getting sculptures, and that will be your focus until you unlock Natural History, which will allow you collect artifacts the "normal" way. There's just so much potential I see with Kongo, I'm really sad they're one of the worst civs in Civ 6.

Mbanza (Unique District)

The main issue I have with Mbanza is that it's a neighbourhood replacement, and neighbourhoods are absurdly weak. Neighbourhoods enter the game very late, way too late for the additional housing they provide to be very useful. Also, they don't inherently provide any yields and allow you to only build weak buildings in them. Now, Mbanza does actually tackle some of these issues, but the most critical issue with the neighborhood and Mbanza is that they expose your city to the Recruit Partisans spy mission. The headache caused by the thought of absurdly powerful units spawning within your empire and pillaging everything in sight is not worth the tiny bonuses neighborhoods or even Mbanzas provide. I'm not really sure what the devs were thinking when they decided to cripple probably the weakest district this way, but that's beside the point. Removing the spy mission alone would significantly improve these districts without making spying significantly less interesting because crippling the AI isn't usually as beneficial as stealing things like gold or great works from them. Neighbourhoods would also improve in value from changes that would make tall strategies stronger, but that's also beyond the scope of this post. Also, the neighbourhood should ensure that citizens that live in it aren't a "drag" to the city at least in terms of food they consume, since the whole purpose of the district is to "optimize" high-density living. For example, let's say you have a city that gets 10 housing from sources like granary, farms, having access to fresh water, etc. and another 4 housing from a neighbourhood. If the city has 10 citizens or fewer, the neighbourhood doesn't provide any food. At 11 pop, it provides 2 food because the one extra citizen lives in the neighbourhood, which is able to support it without food from other sources. At 12 pop, it provides 4 food, 6 food at 13 pop, and finally, 8 food at 14 pop. Any additional citizen beyond this point wouldn't be able to live in the neighbourhood, so there's no additional food yield.

Aside from the flaws that Mbanza inherits from the neighbourhood, I think it's actually generally well designed. It does appear much earlier in the game than usual, the housing it provides doesn't depend on appeal (although I don't understand why they needed to cap it at 5 housing), and it does yield some food and gold. I think the yields, even layering on top of the normal food yield I proposed, would probably still be disappointing and probably require some sort of a boost, that may come in the form of scaling through the eras or through adjacency bonuses. As mentioned earlier, Mbanza would also house a worship building, and I think some bonus aside from the one that compensates for the lack of holy sites would be useful, although I'm not sure what would be thematically appropriate.

The Boers
Leader: Paul Kruger

Civilization Ability: Day of the Vow
Receive a faith boost when clearing a barbarian encampment. Farms provide double housing.

The Day of the Vow was December 16th in 1836, when the Voortrekkers defeated the Zulus at the Battle of Blood River. The Voortrekkers believed this was a sign that God was on their side. Most Boers had large families and lived on a farm (Boer literally means Farmer in Dutch).

Leader Ability: Foreign Volunteers
When another civilzation declares war against the Boers, receive one free military unit for every declaration of friendship.

When the Second Boer War broke out, the Boers where aided by many foreign volunteers.

Unique Unit #1: Voortrekker
Replaces Settler. Unlike the Settler, the Voortrekker is able defend itself against enemies. Its strength is comparable to the Scout. The Voortrekker cannot be captured and is killed instead when defeated.

The Voortrekkers founded the Boer republics, and had to defend themselves against the Ndebele and the Zulus.

Unique Unit #2: Commando
Replaces Cavalry. Regains all movement points after attacking in Boer territory.

During the guerrilla fase of the Second Boer War, many Boer generals, most notably Christiaan de Wet, excelled in their "verskyn en verdwyn" attacks (appear and disappear) against the British army.

Historical Agenda: Volksbestaan
Hates civilizations with cities on his continent, when their capital is on another continent.

The Boers weren't too keen on being colonized by the British, even though they descended of colonists themselves.
Very interesting, however, saying the Boers "descended of colonists" is not quite accurate...the reason that the ancestors of Boers arrived in South Africa was to staff a small refueling station for Dutch ships sailing to Indonesia, not because we wanted to colonize Africa.
I like your proposal, here's mine (partly inspired by yours). (I'm hoping that the Civ 6 city system will be scrapped for Civ 7, back to the normal Civ city system)

Civilization Ability - Day of the Vow: Receive a faith/culture boost when clearing a barbarian encampment. Killing a Boer civilian unit causes the Boers to spawn a strong offensive unit lead by a great general near the place where the Boer civilian was murdered if the unit was murdered by barbarians, city-states, or a civilization that is behind the Boers in tech

(same as the above, except scrapping the housing thing, since I don't like that mechanic in Civ 6 and hope it doesn't return for Civ 7, also representing that Blood River was the fault of the Zulu king Dingaan who murdered a peaceful Boer delegation led by Piet Retief)

Leader Ability - Bittereinders: Whenever a Boer military unit is killed, every enemy unit within 5 tiles loses 10% of their HP, but murdering a Boer civilian unit increases war weariness among the Boers by twice the usual amount, if the unit was murdered by a civ that is equal or ahead of the Boers in tech

(Representing how Britain's misguided attempt to rob us of our freedom led to us launching a guerilla war against them, which only failed because they captured our women and children and murdered them in concentration camps)

I like the UU #2 and the Historical agenda, not so wild about UU #1, since Settler UUs seem to have a very limited utility. Perhaps the Voortrekker could be beefed up so that any city founded by a Voortrekker also has a church, or that any food resources in the circle of first tiles around the city automatically gets the improvement

Just noticed this thread because our - interesting - new member bumped it. I've only read the first three pages and this last one, thus far, and I would like to add a few of my own once they're coherent, but some comments I should make, here:

Civ: Malaysia
Leader: Parameswara
Leader Ability: The White Mousedeer: Units get :c5war: combat bonuses for fighting on riverside tiles
Civ Ability: Entrepot: Naval trade routes to Malaysia generate :c5culture: Culture for them and :c5happy: Amenities for the trader
Unique unit: Pahlawan (does not replace anything): :c5war: Combat bonus for fighting on the seas or boosts :c5war: combat strength of adjacent units. Only five can be trained (the legendary Five Brothers story).
Unique infrastructure: Taman (Neighbourhood with some shophouses thrown in): Generates :c5gold: Gold as well as standard Housing
Malaysia is a modern, political portmanteau created when the British merged Sarawak, Sabah, Labaun, and (briefly) Singapore with the Federation of Malaya (itself a British political construct) to grant independence as an endemic, electoral monarchy within the Commonwealth. I don't belief Parameswara ever governed THAT nation, by name identity, or concept.
Interesting military focused take on Rome. I think if the leader is Aurelius the bonuses might be better suited to Great Person generation though, since Aurelius is as famous for his philosophy as he is for his military prowess--to the point where he was called a Philosopher King. I would recommend that the leader for your version of Rome be Julius Caesar. The agenda could be changed to "Gallic Wars" or another such allusion to Caesar's conquests of various tribes.

Yes! I love Ivan the Terrible. I learned of him from Age of Empires III. I particularly like the Civilization ability, but what is a "general winter"?
No, Julius Caesar was pre-Imperial, and the state of Roman rule hadn't nearly what's implied by his Dictatorship and assassination. Perhaps Tiberius, Vespian, or Titus would be more appropriate to this description and these bonuses.
TheSpaceCowboy, excellent iconic image you found there, and nice civ name. Didn't know the Crusader states ever had a unified name like that. Could be a nice medieval civ in the game if the designers decided they needed another medieval-ish European civ. Given Godfrey's agenda, it seems he won't like many people. XD
Properly, the Lordship of Outremer was one of the four outlying vassals of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, one where Western Jordan now is. It was a military frontier of the Crusader States. It just became synonymous with them all, largely exonymously and historiographically, really.
Soviet Union led by Mikhail Gorbachev

Civilization Ability- Cold War, For every Denunciation you get, All City-States Allied to you give a bonus to Science.

Leader Ability- Glasnos, For every Civilization that becomes a Friend that had denounced you, the both will gain Culture and Tourism

Unique Infrastructure - Oil District, There needs to be an Oil Well near the City Center, and provides a bonus cash to traders from that City. The Bonus decreases the more traders there are from or to that city.

Unique Building - Embassy, Located in the City Center, the Embassy produces extra tourism for every nation that isn't at war with you.

Agenda - Sinatra Doctrine, He will attempt to Align his nation with the Most popular Governments and will try to be the Smallest Civ on all other continents.
Gorbachev (who only died recently) was not representative of this view of the Soviet Union. This is the Brezhnev-era Soviet Union, plain and simple.
OK...
Here is the Israel I want to see in the game.

First of all, I think that Israel should be treated like Greece, Egypt, and Persia, which means - ancient and modern should not be mixed. There are two reasons for this: 1. Focusing on Ancient Israel would remove the controversy that modern Israel might generate. 2. Ancient Israel and modern Israel are ages apart from one another, and since there was no continuity, there is no sense in mixing the two into one civilization, like we do with, say, India, or China, where the entire history is represented in one civilization.
So, what I want to focus on is Ancient Israel, which is both Biblical Israel, and Israel of the later Hasmonean age, all the way to Herod and to the fall of the Second Temple in 70 AD, and Bar Kochva's Rebellion.

The unique ability of the civ would be, obviously, Holy Land. This should give them a bonus to defending their borders, as well as perhaps something involving religion and warfare.

For a leader, I want to go to a less obvious choice, not someone from the Bible, but a later leader, a female leader, which is always interesting - queen Salome Alexandra.
She can have the Sanhedrin as her leader ability, giving her bonuses that improve happiness in the realm. Her agenda can be something like "Fortified Cities", meaning she will focus on defense rather than offense, and will try to make her cities as strong as possible.

Unique unit: Slinger of Benjamin - Ancient Israel is well known for its slingers, but those of the tribe of Benjamin were considered the best.

Unique building: Gath - the word "gath", or "gat", as it is pronounced in modern Hebrew, means "wine press". The gath can be the Israelite granary, and provide extra happiness.

Another idea for a unique unit: Ekatontamachoi - kind of like the Israelite version of the Immortal. Can replace the swordsman, and be weaker, but cheaper.
She's a bit obscure, but certainly a better choice than the sellout, puppet, and poxy king to the Romans, Herod.
I think in honor of our newest voice over guy, there should be a Sean Bean civ pack. Examples I brainstormed when I should have been in bed..

Janus Syndicate

Civ Ability: "For England, James"
Reduced chance of spies being caught by friendly civs.

Leader: Alec Trevalyan

Leader Ability: "Half of everything is luck, James"
Spies can steal more money from other civs. They can also steal missile and nuke units.

Unique Unit: Goldeneye (replaces Nuclear Missile)
Larger AOE but causes less damage. EMP blast disables city production and yield for ? turns. Mech units disabled for ? turns.

Unique Unit (alternate?): Tiger Helicopter (replaces Gunship)
Undetectable from long range. Immune to EMP effects.

Unique Building: Antenna Cradle
Increases range for missile units stationed in city.

Gondor

Civ Ability: "One does not simply walk into Mordor"
Walking is slower when entering enemy territory. (wait that's not a good trait!)

Leader: Boromir

Leader Ability: "But then I took an arrow to the everything"
Melee units have greater resistance to archery units

Unique Unit: What About A Catapult (replaces Catapult)
Longer firing range. With access to gold, it can launch infantry units paradrop style.

Unique Building: Beacon of Gondor
If a city in your territory is under attack, units within ? range of a beacon will move faster.

House Stark

Civ Ability: "Winter is Coming"
Units and cities have better defense on snow and tundra tiles.

Leader: Eddard Stark

Leader Ability: "What's good for the executed is good for the executioner"
Swordsmen and axemen do critical damage against isolated units. But this also works for enemy units fighting yours as well!

Unique Unit: Direwolf (replaces Pikeman)
Requires fur?

Unique Building: The Wall
Similar to the Great Wall, but adjacent tiles act as snow tiles for the civ ability.
Ancient Island of Samos? Not much is written about Odysseus' exposition or background by Homer, except that he was from Samos, his possible parents and sister, and that he proved his stratagem by some weird plowing system in a field that was dismissed as madness, but disproven as such by Agememnon.
Been reading a lot about Attila & the Huns lately (he's one of my favorite historical figures to read about) and I like this a lot. It saddens me that there's so little we know about Hunnic culture, language, etc. but you've worked well with what there is. The Cunei is a nice touch. (Historically, the person leading a cunei was called a cur, though that's not where the modern word comes from.)
The biggest reason I always disliked the idea of a playable Hunnic civ is primarily because the Huns were not city-builders. They raided and plundered cities, but never settled down, never built infrastructure or even utilized existing stuff. They were perfectly content as herding, raiding nomads, living in tents and wagons (and that's kind of awesome.) Not to mention the fact that only two words of Hunnic and several proper names are known, and their city list becomes pretty slim pretty quickly. (And I don't really care for what Civ V did.) I do like how establishing cities becomes more of a task for the Huns as the game progresses, and those late-game cities get a slight boost.
All this is basically me saying 1. good job, and 2. I hope Civ VII has some way to properly represent nomadic peoples (or maybe include a nomadic phase for all civilizations) and still make them able to play on the same level as the settled.

I think one of the only ways to make the Huns playable, while being historically accurate as possible the way the game is currently, is make them to where:
1. They can never found cities other than their capital (Atilla's Camp).
2. The only other way to gain more new cities is by capturing them.
3. They can only build an Encampment District and their unique infrastructure. To gain other districts/wonders/infrastructure is by capturing them from existing cities.

Not sure how much fun it would be for some people to play as them with this scenario.

Hello there. After a bit of a medschool-imposed break, I'm back with a few more ideas. This is my attempt to do at least a bit of justice to my favourite history period which, for my opinion, has been consistently neglected if not outright forgotten by Civilization games. I am aware that some of those, especially the Huns (just a couple posts earlier, lol) have been done many times on this forum and elsewhere, but I'm hoping there will be enough new and creative ideas and tweaks for this proposals to not be dull and redundant.
Spoiler Attila of the Hunnic Empire :

LUA: Scourge of God
Razing cities fully heals all Hunnic land military units in city's borders, produces -10 Loyalty in every other city in 8-tile radius for every citizen of the raized city. Defeating enemy units in city's range generates -2 Loyalty. +50% CS bonus agains Free Cities and their units, as well as against major civs in (their) Dark Age.
UA: Born In The Saddle (I know, sounds lame and generic, but I couldn't come up with something more interesting and fitting at the same time)
Start the game with Animal Husbandry. Cannott train Settlers (captured Settlers turn into Builders) and settle cities other than the Capital. Hunnic Capital has 4-tile working range instead of 3. Pastures provide +1 Food, +1 Production and +2 Housing, Camps provide +1 Food, +1 Gold and +2 Amenity. +10% Production towards training cavalry units for every Pasture, Camp and Warlord's Yurt. +100% Production cost for all Districts, except Encampment, but each district generates +1 of its base yield for every district of the appropriate type pillaged (works only once for one district) or raized.
UU: Hunnic Mounted Archer
Unique Ranged Cavalry Unit, replaces Horseman. Requires 10 Horses to train. 1 Range, 23 RCS, 5 Movement points. Can move after attack. Retreats 1 tile back if attacked by a Melee unit, receiving only 50% of the damage. If there is no available tile to retreat to, receives additional damage.
UI: Warlord's Yurt (alternatives: Noblemen's Yurt, Nomadic Camp, Master of Spoils). Can be constructed outside of owned territory, where it provides +5 Offensive CS to every unit starting their turn on it. Defeating enemy units within 1 tile of the WY produces gold equal to 200% its CS. When constructed within Hunnic borders, provides +1 Gold, +1 Culture as well as +1 Food and +1 Production for every adjacent Pasture and Camp. Cannot be built adjacent to another WY.

Spoiler Bayan I of Avarian Empire :

LUA: TBA (something reflecting Bayan's almost Machiavellian diplomatic prowless in setting off various tribes and hordes against his enemies, espesially Slavic ones)
Without Barbarian Clans Mode:
Land military units can capture defeated Barbarian, City-State and Free City units. Capturing a Barbarian Outpost provides a free Settler, and new cities settled in place of Barbarian Outposts start with a free cavalry unit and +1 Population.
With Barbarian Clans Mode active: Land military units can capture defeated Barbarian, City-State and Free City units. 50% discount on all diplomatic interaction with Barbarian Clans. When fully progressing towards civilizing, any Barbarian Clan within 6 tiles of an owned city immediately turns into a Avarian city with a free cavalry Unit and +1 Population.
UA: TBA (something about Avars historically forced to complete a mass migration fleeing their vengeful masters, Gokturks).
+25% Production towards Settlers (+50% during war), and Settlers receive +2 Movement. Military units in formation with Settlers inherit their Movement speed.
UU: Avar Noble
Unique Heavy Cavalry unit, replaces the Knight. Has both Range Attack with 43 RCS and Range 1 and a Melee Attack (50 CS). 4 Movement Points. More expensive to build.
UD: Hring
Replaces Encampment. Available at Horseback Riding, more expensive to build. Provides +2 Housing, as well as +1 Food and +1 Gold for every adjacent Farm and Pasture built on a Strategic or Bonus resource. 10% Production from every owned city within 6 tiles of the district is contributed to training Cavalry and Siege Units.

TBA:
Civilizations: Hephthalites, Goths (under Theodoric the Great), Vandals (under Geiseric)
Leaders: Flavius Aetius and Galla Placidia (Rome), Justinian I and Maurice (Byzantine), Khosrow I Anushirvan (Persia)
The problem with nomadic in these games is in the long-term. By the time ocean-going vessels and cannon forges and artillery works, which were areas nomads were highly weak to produce and which opened up previously thriving, unchallenged nomadic cultures to vulnerability, the realistic end is near. The Industrial Era, which requires large-scale exploitation of minerals and churning them through factories, and food-production to feed unprecedented numbers, which require strong, sedentary investment in given areas of land, would realistically be where they'd cease to be competitive at all.

Last edited:
(Redesign of concept mentioned years ago)

Solomon leads Israel in Civilization VI...

Strengths: Domination and religion victory
Weaknesses: Science, cultural, diplomatic victory

Agenda: Dislikes those who found and follow a competing religion, likes those with high faith output but have not founded a religion or who follow the same religion

Civ unique ability: Receive a free great prophet when completing the first holy site district, which does not count against the number of great prophets able to be recruited in the game, thus adding 1 more religion to the game than would otherwise be present. Incoming religious pressure reduced by 50%. +5 theological combat strength within own borders. Apostles provide +4 combat strength to friendly land combat units within 2 hexes per promotion (does not stack), and gurus can heal or buff any friendly unit, not just religious ones.

Leader unique ability: City states with envoys and not at war provide copies of their amenities, regardless of suzerain status. Golden ages generate a holy relic.

Unique infrastructure: Temple mount, replaces holy site district; increased production cost 50%. Provides 25% production boost to adjacent wonders, receives major adjacency bonus from wonders, and trade routes from this city provide +2 gold per holy site building

Unique unit: Slinger replacement, plus 10 combat strength vs more advanced units, and plus 10 combat strength vs civilizations or city-states not following your religion

Notes: I like the idea of apostles buffing combat strength per promotion, because this is a flexible rather than static buff, with at least 1-3 promotions being possible.

Solomon leads Israel in Civilization VI...

Strengths: Domination and religion victory
Weaknesses: Science, cultural, diplomatic victory

Agenda: Dislikes those who found and follow a competing religion, likes those with high faith output but have not founded a religion or who follow the same religion
From some interesting articles from theologians, historians, and archeologists, it seems he seemed to extend his influence outside his borders much moreso through, "spheres of influence," which are cultural or diplomatic, in game. The outright conquests and annexation seem to have been wrapped up in Saul's day, as he definitely was a warrior and conqueror. Also, his strong and close trade alliance in the phoenix dye with Hiram I, King of Tyre, who remained a staunch adherent of Phoenician Polytheism all his life, but gave money out of his pocket to help refurbish the First Temple in Jerusalem, and Solomon apparently gave reciprocal gifts, calls into question Solomon's intolerance of all other faiths, at least as an absolute.

From some interesting articles from theologians, historians, and archeologists, it seems he seemed to extend his influence outside his borders mu
From some interesting articles from theologians, historians, and archeologists, it seems he seemed to extend his influence outside his borders much moreso through, "spheres of influence," which are cultural or diplomatic, in game. The outright conquests and annexation seem to have been wrapped up in Saul's day, as he definitely was a warrior and conqueror. Also, his strong and close trade alliance in the phoenix dye with Hiram I, King of Tyre, who remained a staunch adherent of Phoenician Polytheism all his life, but gave money out of his pocket to help refurbish the First Temple in Jerusalem, and Solomon apparently gave reciprocal gifts, calls into question Solomon's intolerance of all other faiths, at least as an
Thanks Patine. I tried to capture some of that with the LUA. Originally I wanted gold and faith but that is mansa musa's. Maybe faith and amenities?

I might have made one on this thread before, but anyway here is a new and improved version.

Texas (Texian Empire)
Civ Ability: Grand Prairies: +1 Food from Farms, Pastures, and Plantations on Plains tiles. Farms can be built on plains hills with Irrigation instead of Civil Engineering.

UU: Texas Ranger-Replaces the Ranger. Has more movement than the normal ranger unit it replaces. May protect civilian units from being captured.

UI: High School- Provides +1 Amenity, +1 Science and +1 Culture. +1 Science if adjacent to a Campus with a University. +1 Culture if adjacent to an Entertainment Complex with a Stadium.

Leaders:

Sam Houston (capital Harrisburg)
LUA- Remember the Alamo: All land units gain +1 Combat strength for any friendly unit killed when occupying a district or improvement. Cities cannot be put under siege. Comes with the Volunteer UU. Volunteer UU comes at Rifling. +5 combat strength when occupying a district or improvement.

Mirabeau Lamar (capital Austin)
LUA-Father of Texas Education: Tiles are half priced when purchasing to build Campuses and Theater Squares. Unlocks the State Library a building unique to Lamar. It replaces the standard Library and has a Great Work of Writing slot. Grants +1 GPP for Great Writers.

City list: Austin, Harrisburg, San Antonio de Bexar, Washington-on-the-Brazos, Galveston, Goliad, Gonzales, Nacogdoches, Anahuac, Velasco, Victoria, Brazoria, Bastrop, San Jacinto, Columbia, San Felipe, San Patricio, Matagorda, LaGrange, Sabine City, Grigsby’s Bluff

Last edited:
This strikes me as too powerful even in the conceptual stage :) I might suggest the Civ VI thing and water it down slightly with twice as many words.

+1 Food from Farms, Pastures, and Plantations on Plains tiles.
Thanks for the suggestion. That actually does sound a lot better.
Shouldn't it be Texian Republic?
Every playable civ on the loading screen shows up with the word "empire" at the end, such as even "Cree Empire has joined the world stage", which is what I was referencing. Of course, in real life it wasn't considered one. :)

Every playable civ on the loading shows up with the word "empire" at the end, which is what I was referencing. Of course, in real life it wasn't considered one. :)
Is there way or mod to change that (even if only for esthetics) out there, or is it hardcoded?

Is there way or mod to change that (even if only for esthetics) out there, or is it hardcoded?
You can go into the files and change it. They're in the texts folders.

Not exactly a new civilization, but a new leader that may lead 2 different civilizations, likewise Eleonor (England/France) or Kublai (China/Mongolia)

Queen Maria, alternate ruler for both Brazil and Portugal
Unique Trait: Move The Court Away From Danger
Receive +1 diplomatic visibility against civilizations whose capitals are on a different continent other than Queen Maria current capital.
Receive +5 diplomatic favour per turn per civilization whose capitals are on a different continent other than Queen Maria current capital when they're at war against Queen Maria.
After research diplomatic service (reinassance era civic) gain ability of move capital into another city if it's on a different continent of current capital is.

As leader of Brazil, Move The Court Away From Danger would be used instead of Magnamous (Pedro), and as leader of Portugal, Move The Court Away From Danger would be used instead of Porta do Cerco (João).

I don't know exactly which agenda Queen Maria would have but probably would be in regards for what she did IRL, when she successfully fled Napoleon invasion.

Somewone who lead Arabia at civilization 5, who make return at civilization 6

Harun Al-Rashid, alternate ruler for Arabia
Unique Trait: Enlightment Of The Faith
Each building that generates Great People Points generates same amount +1 per turn instead if it belongs to a city you control, but only where your religion is dominant.
Whenever you activates Great People for their last time, spending them, you also gain 100 gold.

As leader of Arabia, Enlightment Of The Faith would be used instead of Righteousness Of The Faith.

Harun Al-Rashid would have similar agenda as both Dom Pedro (Brazil) and Saladin (Arabia), as he usually earn more Great People through religion.

I'm back in the Ideas Forums and suggesting an Alt Leader of Phoenicia, Hannibal Barca, but with a twist. :D Get rid of that lame, cliche "pass through Mountains at cost of Unit health" Ability, I've got something else in mind. :p

Hannibal Barca of the Phoenician Empire

Leader Ability: At The Gates

Capturing an Enemy City causes the Enemy Civilization to lose -1 Envoy with all City-States, as well as -1 Amenity and -2 to all Yields in all their owned Cities (Capping at -5 Amenities and -10 Yields).

Leader Agenda: Fire and Steel
Will frequently go to War with thos who denounce him or are denounced by him. Hates those who are Friends or Allied with those he has denounced or is at War with, and loves those who denounce or at War with shared enemies.

Reasoning: Giving this some thought, as I was initially going to do the Mountains Ability, I realized that Hannibal was far more than just a miuntain climber. He was a man who attempted to bring Rome to the ground not by conquering Rome, but by alienating its allies against it. Looking through his campaigns, I took inspiration from them and did this.

Reasoning: Giving this some thought, as I was initially going to do the Mountains Ability, I realized that Hannibal was far more than just a miuntain climber. He was a man who attempted to bring Rome to the ground not by conquering Rome, but by alienating its allies against it. Looking through his campaigns, I took inspiration from them and did this.
I'd at least give him an Elephant UU that could go through mountains, and can escort other units through mountains as well, but at a cost to health to be historically accurate. :mischief:

Here are some alternate leader ideas for Gran Colombia which could be part of future "leader passes" or future games

I would go for Antonio Nariño (currently a Comandante General in-game), Francisco de Miranda or even Francisco de Paula Santander (also a Comandante General). This could be the abilites for these leader options for Gran Colombia. (I would think on changing the name of the civilization to Colombia and adding leaders from other periods, but I understand that might be controversial)

Antonio Nariño (vice-president of Gran Colombia and president of Cundinamarca) could be a more cultured centred leader, as he brought many ideas from the Enlightenment to the colonies, such as translating the Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen to Spanish (he was sent to jail by the Spanish for doing this). He also became rich from importing products from the Old World.
Leader ability name: "Patria Boba or United Provinces of New Granada": receives a culture points bonus towards civics that have already been discovered by other civilizations, you get some gold yields from cultural buildings. (during his political career some defended a Federal system, such as the one in the US and others a centralist system, such as the one in France, both were tested during the independence movement)
Leader agenda name: "The Precursor of Liberty": dislikes civilizations with fewer civics as himself, likes civilizations with more civics as himself (He was inspired by the heroes of the American Revolution, such as Benjamin Franklin)
Capital city: Bogotá or Villa de Leyva

Francisco de Miranda (briefly dictator of Venezuela) could be a more diplomatic centred leader, as he established contact with countries such as the UK, France and Russia to seek support for independence. He also fought in the American Revolution and in the French Revolution.
Leader ability name: "First Republic of Venezuela": receives more diplomatic favour points from each alliance he has with other civilizations and/or when fighting a war together with other civilizations
Leader agenda name: "The Precursor of Independence": dislikes civilizations who have conquered other nations capitals, likes civilizations which have conquered none or less capitals from other civilizations.
Capital city: Caracas

Francisco de Paula Santander (vice-president and acting-president of Gran Colombia when Bolívar was off fighting elsewhere) could be more centred on culture, as he favoured the rule of law and constitutional rule of the country, as opposed to Bolívar's almost dictatorial rule. He drafted much of the early laws and constitutions of Colombia and founded various cultural institutions, such as public schools, the National University of Colombia, the National Museum of Colombia (the first national museum in both North and South America) and much more.
Leader ability name: "Constitution of 1821": cultural buildings from conquered and/or recaptured ("liberated") cities receive no damage. Military buildings produce some culture and/or can produce cultural buildings faster. (Considered the first constitution of Colombia/Gran Colombia, laid the legal framework for future constitutions and for the rebuilding of the country after the war of independence)
Leader agenda name: "El Hombre de las Leyes or The Man of the Law": dislikes civilizations with low diplomatic favour points production, likes civilizations that produce a lot of diplomatic favour points
Capital city: Bogotá or Cúcuta

Hello everyone. I'm back for a while after a long russian war-induced hiatus with a new civ in mind. Today I'd like to tacke a civilization which, in my opinion, should've been added to the main roster - Kyivan Rus, or just Rus, to be more academically correct. Having russia as the only representation of this fascinating and immensely significant culture is just awful and never make any sense to me - like Mussolini's Italy representing the Roman Empire.
Now, with this in mind, lets get to it. I'm not entirely sure about balancing, I haven't played for more than a year, so feel free to correct me and drop any suggestions and feedback of general sorts. Also I could use a bit of help with the wording of descriptions, I feel like they don't sound very smooth.

Civilization: (Kyivan) Rus
Civilization Ability: "From Varangians to Greeks"
Receive Gold when founding cities on Rivers or Lakes (scaling with Era). Units ignore movement penalties when crossing Rivers and treat tiles adjacent to Rivers as roads. Trading Posts are established twice as fast in cities on Rivers.

Unique Unit: Druzhina
Replaces Man-At-Arms. Can be immediately purchased with Gold or Faith.

Unique Building: Pogost
Replaces Market. +1 Gold and +1 Production from each River tile adjacent to the District. Trade Routes originating in the city provide +1 Gold for every improved copy of a Luxury or Stategic Resource.

Leader 1: Princess Olga (of Kyiv)
LUA1: Before founding a Religion, Trade Routes to cities with a Holy Site generate +1 Great Prophet Points. Trade Routes to a City following the same religion generate 75% of the Great People Points produced in the destination city, and 20% of their Gold output is converted to Faith and Culture.

Leader 2: Yaroslav the Wise
LUA2: +20% Production towards constructing buildings and wonders with Great Work slots.
+1 Era Score for every Inspiration or whenever a new Policy card slot is added. +0.5 Science and Culture from every Citizen during Golden and Heroic Ages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom