1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Design your own Civ VI civ

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 14, 2016.

1. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Been reading a lot about Attila & the Huns lately (he's one of my favorite historical figures to read about) and I like this a lot. It saddens me that there's so little we know about Hunnic culture, language, etc. but you've worked well with what there is. The Cunei is a nice touch. (Historically, the person leading a cunei was called a cur, though that's not where the modern word comes from.)
    The biggest reason I always disliked the idea of a playable Hunnic civ is primarily because the Huns were not city-builders. They raided and plundered cities, but never settled down, never built infrastructure or even utilized existing stuff. They were perfectly content as herding, raiding nomads, living in tents and wagons (and that's kind of awesome.) Not to mention the fact that only two words of Hunnic and several proper names are known, and their city list becomes pretty slim pretty quickly. (And I don't really care for what Civ V did.) I do like how establishing cities becomes more of a task for the Huns as the game progresses, and those late-game cities get a slight boost.
    All this is basically me saying 1. good job, and 2. I hope Civ VII has some way to properly represent nomadic peoples (or maybe include a nomadic phase for all civilizations) and still make them able to play on the same level as the settled.

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I think one of the only ways to make the Huns playable, while being historically accurate as possible the way the game is currently, is make them to where:
    1. They can never found cities other than their capital (Atilla's Camp).
    2. The only other way to gain more new cities is by capturing them.
    3. They can only build an Encampment District and their unique infrastructure. To gain other districts/wonders/infrastructure is by capturing them from existing cities.

Not sure how much fun it would be for some people to play as them with this scenario.

3. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Yeah, exactly. It's unfortunate, but true.
    I at least wish the name of a single settlement had survived so we weren't stuck with "Attila's Throne." XD But of course, not all languages were written.
    I hear that Attila's main court was near the modern Hungarian city of Szeged, so if Hungary weren't in the game, that might work.

4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I don't know about giving them the name of a Hungarian city considering there are groups of people that believe the modern Hungarians ancestors were the Huns. :shifty:

5. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

So call it “Partiscum” and call it a day.

6. Problemedical

Problemedical Chieftain

Hello there. After a bit of a medschool-imposed break, I'm back with a few more ideas. This is my attempt to do at least a bit of justice to my favourite history period which, for my opinion, has been consistently neglected if not outright forgotten by Civilization games. I am aware that some of those, especially the Huns (just a couple posts earlier, lol) have been done many times on this forum and elsewhere, but I'm hoping there will be enough new and creative ideas and tweaks for this proposals to not be dull and redundant.
    Spoiler Attila of the Hunnic Empire :

LUA: Scourge of God
    Razing cities fully heals all Hunnic land military units in city's borders, produces -10 Loyalty in every other city in 8-tile radius for every citizen of the raized city. Defeating enemy units in city's range generates -2 Loyalty. +50% CS bonus agains Free Cities and their units, as well as against major civs in (their) Dark Age.
    UA: Born In The Saddle (I know, sounds lame and generic, but I couldn't come up with something more interesting and fitting at the same time)
    Start the game with Animal Husbandry. Cannott train Settlers (captured Settlers turn into Builders) and settle cities other than the Capital. Hunnic Capital has 4-tile working range instead of 3. Pastures provide +1 Food, +1 Production and +2 Housing, Camps provide +1 Food, +1 Gold and +2 Amenity. +10% Production towards training cavalry units for every Pasture, Camp and Warlord's Yurt. +100% Production cost for all Districts, except Encampment, but each district generates +1 of its base yield for every district of the appropriate type pillaged (works only once for one district) or raized.
    UU: Hunnic Mounted Archer
    Unique Ranged Cavalry Unit, replaces Horseman. Requires 10 Horses to train. 1 Range, 23 RCS, 5 Movement points. Can move after attack. Retreats 1 tile back if attacked by a Melee unit, receiving only 50% of the damage. If there is no available tile to retreat to, receives additional damage.
    UI: Warlord's Yurt (alternatives: Noblemen's Yurt, Nomadic Camp, Master of Spoils). Can be constructed outside of owned territory, where it provides +5 Offensive CS to every unit starting their turn on it. Defeating enemy units within 1 tile of the WY produces gold equal to 200% its CS. When constructed within Hunnic borders, provides +1 Gold, +1 Culture as well as +1 Food and +1 Production for every adjacent Pasture and Camp. Cannot be built adjacent to another WY.

Spoiler Bayan I of Avarian Empire :

LUA: TBA (something reflecting Bayan's almost Machiavellian diplomatic prowless in setting off various tribes and hordes against his enemies, espesially Slavic ones)
    Without Barbarian Clans Mode:
    Land military units can capture defeated Barbarian, City-State and Free City units. Capturing a Barbarian Outpost provides a free Settler, and new cities settled in place of Barbarian Outposts start with a free cavalry unit and +1 Population.
    With Barbarian Clans Mode active: Land military units can capture defeated Barbarian, City-State and Free City units. 50% discount on all diplomatic interaction with Barbarian Clans. When fully progressing towards civilizing, any Barbarian Clan within 6 tiles of an owned city immediately turns into a Avarian city with a free cavalry Unit and +1 Population.
    UA: TBA (something about Avars historically forced to complete a mass migration fleeing their vengeful masters, Gokturks).
    +25% Production towards Settlers (+50% during war), and Settlers receive +2 Movement. Military units in formation with Settlers inherit their Movement speed.
    UU: Avar Noble
    Unique Heavy Cavalry unit, replaces the Knight. Has both Range Attack with 43 RCS and Range 1 and a Melee Attack (50 CS). 4 Movement Points. More expensive to build.
    UD: Hring
    Replaces Encampment. Available at Horseback Riding, more expensive to build. Provides +2 Housing, as well as +1 Food and +1 Gold for every adjacent Farm and Pasture built on a Strategic or Bonus resource. 10% Production from every owned city within 6 tiles of the district is contributed to training Cavalry and Siege Units.

TBA:
    Civilizations: Hephthalites, Goths (under Theodoric the Great), Vandals (under Geiseric)
    Leaders: Flavius Aetius and Galla Placidia (Rome), Justinian I and Maurice (Byzantine), Khosrow I Anushirvan (Persia)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  7. Problemedical

Problemedical Chieftain

Spoiler Theodoric the Great of the Gothic Empire :

LUA: The Successor of Rome
    Conquered cities can build 1 more district than the population limit allows, and all damaged districts and City Center buildings are automatically repaired upon conquest. +25% towards District construction in cities not originally owned by player with an established Governor.
    UA: Foederati Imperii
    Units earn Gold upon pillaging and Faith and Culture upon promotion. -5% unit maintenance for every Encampment and Tumult district.
    UU: Comitatus
    Unique Light Cavalry Unit which replaces Courser. Unlocked with Mercenaries civic. Slightly stronger, but more expensive. Earns 15% more XP and 1 Great General Point per kill per every adjacent Comitatus.
    UD: Tumult
    Replaces the Holy Site. Provides Production equal to its Faith adjacency towards building land military units. +1 Faith from each adjacent District, +2 Faith from every adjacent Encampment.

Spoiler Geiseric of the Vandalic Empire :

LUA: Sacker of Rome
    Founding Coastal cities grants Gold and Food boost, as well as Great Admiral points. Conquering coastal cities and capitals grants Science and Culture for every technology and civic that original owner is ahead of them, and first conquered city grants +1 Diplomatic Visibility level.
    UA: Bane of Mediterranean
    Melee and Raider Naval units can capture defeated enemy naval unit with equal or higher CS. Ranged Naval units ignore city defenses. All Naval units gain +1 Movement when starting their turn in enemy waters.
    UU: Liburnian
    Unique Naval Raider unit, replaces the Galley. 33 CS, cheaper to build. Heals completely when defeating enemy Naval unit or sacking a city.
    UB: Pirate Haven (replaces Lighthouse)
    +1 Gold to every Coast or Lake tile controlled by the city and +1 Production to every one with improved Resourse. Provides Housing and Amenities equal to Harbor's adjacency bonuses. +25% combat experience for all naval trained in this city.

Spoiler Toramana of the Hephthalite Empire :

LUA: Maharajadhiraja Shi Toramana
    Can purchase with Faith Worship Buildings and benefit from Follower and Enhancer beliefs of foreign religion provided at least one Hepthalite city is converted to it. Upon conquering its first city with Holy Site gains a free Great Prophet, if the player hasn't found a Religion of his own yet. Later gets a free Apostle for every Holy Site and Campus in the conquered city.
    UA: Masters of the Silk Road
    +25% Trade Route range and Traders move 50% faster. International Trade Routes provide +1 Faith and +1 Culture for every improved Luxury Resourse and +1 Culture and +1 Science for every Strategic Resourse in the destination city (double if the destination city follows a different religion).
    UU: Asparabido
    Unique Heavy Cavalry unit, replaces the Knight. Slightly more expensive to build. If in formation with a Religious unit, gains +2 CS for each charge remaining.
    UB: Shahristan
    Replaces Medieval Walls. Can be bought with faith. +2 Faith, +2 Gold, +1 Trade Route capacity. 25% of the Production cost of units built in a city with a Shahristan is refunded in Faith and Gold (33% for Cavalry and Siege units).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  8. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Eh... I'd prefer Stilicho, to be honest. He's basically Aetius but better at his job.

9. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

I like the work that's been done with the Huns here recently (and @Problemedical 's Goths as well-- actually kind of similar to what I had imagined with Theodoric in my hypothetical expansion), but I recently had an idea that I wanted to share regarding ol' Attila.
    It sort of struck me out of the blue today: Kupe's leader ability starts you in the ocean, which would only really make sense for him (or his Civ) and no other. Why not give Attila a similar leader ability that would only make sense for his warmongering, nomadic self? (Admittedly, this could also just be the Huns civ ability, but humor me here.)
    I have two ideas for how this could potentially work. I personally lean towards option B myself, because it seems to break the Civ VI formula the most.

Option A: Scourge of God - Starts with Animal Husbandry and Horseback Riding unlocked. Gain a free Light Cavalry unit on the first turn (starts with a Horseman in the Ancient Era) before your first city is settled. Cannot train Settlers and may only found their capital city. All cavalry-class units gain +3 combat strength and +1 movement during Surprise Wars. +50% Production and +25% Loyalty in all newly captured cities.

Option B: Scourge of God - Starts with Animal Husbandry and Horseback Riding unlocked. Gain a free Light Cavalry unit on the first turn (starts with a Horseman in the Ancient Era) as well as an extra Warrior instead of a Settler. Cannot train Settlers or found cities. +2 Science and +2 Culture per turn before you control any cities. All cavalry-class units gain +3 combat strength and +1 movement during Surprise Wars. +50% Production and +25% Loyalty in all newly captured cities. Can earn Envoys and levy City-State militaries but cannot earn Diplomatic Favor or negotiate with settled civilizations (aside from declaring war/peace) before controlling any cities.

I feel like he'd probably also be able to move his capital in option B, like Dido.
    I feel like either of these represent pretty well the Hunnic modus operandi: swarm in with overwhelming forces, take what you want from people, and pretty much do whatever you want. Admittedly, IRL, the Huns did not build infrastructure or even utilize existing infrastructure from cities they sacked, but this is Civilization, you sort of need infrastructure.
    Regardless, I like how drastically this shakes up the game's formula! Let me know what you think. : )

Zaarin likes this.
  10. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Speaking of the nomadic horse-archer cultures that are so dear to me, I once tried to come up with a Khazar civ idea, mostly because I wanted another (semi) nomadic horse-archer civ that wouldn't be too similar to Scythia or Mongolia. Well, in fairness, I also wanted a civilization that actually practiced Judaism (looking at you, Dido) and wouldn't stir up modern political tensions. I came up with a pretty good city list in the end, and had a brief UU concept called the Laša Uhă (which I think is just Turkish for "horse archer", it wasn't very original), but I'm proudest of the civ unique ability:
    Radhanite Merchants
    All Trade Routes to or between Khazar cities generate Faith in addition to their base yields. Khazar Trade Routes to foreign cities exert extra religious pressure on the recipient’s city. Any civ that declares war on Khazaria cannot plunder its Trade Routes during the war.

The Radhanites were Jewish merchants, either from within Khazaria or coming in from other lands, who facilitated the spread of Judaism throughout the empire.
    Radhanite - Wikipedia

11. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Worth noting that most modern scholars debate whether the alleged conversion to Judaism happened at all, but if it did it was only a very small portion of the nobility. If you want a non-Jewish kingdom practicing Judaism, your only real bet is Adiabene. Adiabene and its cousin Osrhoene (which converted to Syriac Christianity) are interesting anomalies on the fringe of Iran and Rome, but they're probably better candidates for city-states than civs. (I actually think a Khazar civ would be interesting, but not for its alleged conversion to Judaism. Though as far as Central Asian Turkic confederacies go, I think I'd be more interested in Cumania.)

12. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Warlord

Khazaria seemed more of a united polity by my research than Cumania did. The Khazar capital was at Atil.

13. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Perhaps. The Cuman language would be more doable, though. The Khazar language is very poorly attested, and discussions of the language by external sources give very conflicted information.

TyrannusRex likes this.
  14. Orol29

Orol29 Chieftain

Vladimir I
    Civilization: Russian
    Capital: Kiev
    Leader bonus: Baptism of Rus - After founding a religion, all cities currently owned by Vladimir are converted to his religion and pressure from other religions is eliminated.
    Leader agenda: Heir of Sviatoslav - Tries to build many cities connected to each other and likes civilizations who do the same. Dislikes civilizations with few cities or cities lying far from each other.
    Unique unit: Varangian - A Medieval Melee Unit which replaces Man-at-arms
    Icon: Two crossed axes
    + Lower production cost (130 vs. 160).
    + Gains +2 Movement when embarked and can perform a naval attack when embarked without Combat Strength penalty. Amphibious attack also ignores Combat Strength penalty.
    + Pillaging a tile gets equal amount of Gold to the gained bonus amount (does not matter whether it was Faith, Culture, Science or Gold).
    + If Vladimir has a military alliance with other Leader, after training a Varangian, the ally also gets a Varangian in his capital.
    - If player has bankrupted, a Varangian turns into a Barbarian, instead of being dissolved.
    - More costly to maintain (4 vs. 3 Gold per turn).​
    Religion: Eastern Orthodoxy
    Background: Crowd of Kievans descending into Dnieper to be baptised.
    Adds new militaristic city-state Polotsk to the game.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  15. Henri Christophe

Henri Christophe Emperor

I believe a Russian in Civilization with capital in Kiev is a bit polemic because the war of Ukraine. We don't know what Putin want to do, but if he anex the Ukraine? This game will be supporting this action with a Russian Civ with the capital in Kiev.
    I know it is historical accurate put it is inapropriate in the moment.

16. Orol29

Orol29 Chieftain

Hi, thanks for the response! I realized this while typing but I am too eager to share my idea. I dreamed of Vladimir I to be the Russian Leader since 2021, the year I started to play Civ (VI), (as being huge medieval enthusiast, Peter the Great as Russian Leader was much disappointing for me) but sadly, I came with the idea to this page just now. But as far as I know, Putin has not claimed any territory from Ukraine (only recognised Luhansk and Donetsk), he talked about denazification and demilitarization of Ukraine. So it is probable that Kiev will remain Ukrainian after this conflict even if the Russians will be victorious and thus this Capital will not (perhaps) be controversial. Other option could be Novgorod as it was the original seat of Vladimir before becoming Grand Prince of Rus. But most importantly, I hope this war ends and Russians and Ukrainians will again see each other as Slavic brothers.

Henri Christophe likes this.