Destinations!

Thanks guys.

I’m sceptical about northern Africa. Been to Tunisia during a heatwave. My daughter have a rare skin disorder which inhibits the release of heat out of her body. That’s why I’m concerned. Ideally would be 30-35 C with plenty of opportunities to cool down nearby. Yeah, I know, July and this temperature is almost like a pipedream now.
Misting can be very efficient and easy for cooling down. A spray bottle filled with room temp water works well.

@warpus Are you still on track for Kilimanjaro this summer?

Planning on campuung at ze river. May not be happening due to weather.

@thetrooper Here is a Corsican example for you. I have a friend in LeHavre who is from Corsica and visits her family there several times a year. Her sister lives in Lucciana, a small village in the hills overlooking south Bastia and rents one of her two apartments. It is a 15 minute drive from the beach. 1 bedroom, small kitchen and sleeps 3. Early July there is usually in the low to mid 30s and significantly less crowded than August. I will get the price of a two week rental so you have a comparison point.

Ah, yes: French people traditionally go mostly on holiday for the whole of August. A lower amount in July. Is probably different in other countries, but means you should not go on holidays in France in August, since prices will be high and everything will be booked.

The way to have cold water longer is to start with ice. Leave a bottle in the freezer overnight and let it melt over the day.

Watch out though, as water expands when it turns into ice. No matter what container you're using, you shouldn't fill it all the way up before freezing

I got one more good trip in last fall, to West Virginia. Favorite part was probably in and around the National Radio Quiet Zone and Monongahela National Forest. Very remote out there; I met one person while mountain biking, hiking in the opposite direction, who said I was the first person she'd seen in a few days on that long-distance trail. Also very calm, and gasoline is very expensive, probably in part because gasoline cars are partially banned and thus less popular than diesel due to spark plugs interfering with the great big telescope in the area (which claims to be the world's largest mobile land-based structure; China has a larger telescope but it is fixed in place). The locals who aren't from the area originally said not being able to use WiFi and not having cell phone signals isn't that big of a deal; you can always use a Lightning-to-Ethernet adapter for your cell phone. Not having microwaves, on the other hand? That's a real adjustment!

Spoiler Overgrown Steep Trail :

IMG_8265.jpg

Why yes, that is a trail. And yes, it was as much of a hike-with-bike as it was mountain biking for much of it.

It also gets remarkably dark at night out there for someone who lives in the city; it's the first place where I've been able to see the Milky Way at night, no telescope required. And of course you've got the classic country roads, one car wide and very windy with lots of elevation change. Even one of the locals I met professed to not liking driving on them! But as long as the traffic volume is low, which is usually is, I find them a lot more interesting than the Interstates. Driving is engaging on those roads! I understand why people like manual transmissions when I'm driving there!

I can also recommend Cass Scenic Railroad State Park, both the town of Cass, and the summit that you can take the train to. I couldn't fit the train into my schedule, so I took the hard way to the summit, by muscle power instead of steam power. I was there mid-afternoon but it would probably be fantastic at sunrise, only problem is you'd have to leave mighty early to drive up the forest roads pre-dawn and then bike and hike to the summit. I could tell that not many people take that route as I had to stop multiple times to clear branches from the road; bringing an axe or saw may be advisable in case a full-fledged tree is blocking the road.

Spoiler Railroad :

IMG_8359.jpg

The railroad close to the summit. You didn't think you'd get to see the summit view without going there, did you?

Friendly locals, too. I don't know if it's really true that people are friendlier in small towns than the cities, but it sure feels that way. Also lots of cows. One of the locals was surprised that I wasn't surprised by how many cows there were, since most out-of-towners don't expect to see any cows. But it was my second time in that part of the state, and I had been surprised the first time.

I could see this general area being a yearly trip, there are lots of places I haven't explored yet. If I disappear from CFC unexpectedly some day, it's most likely because I was eaten by a bear while exploring; check the recent editions of the Pocahontas Times and you'll likely find a story about it.

I might have stayed out in the middle of nowhere longer, but the Roadkill Cookoff was going on that weekend and all the accommodations were booked, so I went up to Morgantown. A fun college town with lots of hills and a nice riverfront area. I'll probably be back. Swung by a bike trail going from Parkersburg to Petroleum on the way back, but it was disappointingly rough for not being advertised as rough. I'm fine with rough trails if they're supposed to be rough and the views make it worth it, but if it's just in poor condition without sufficient rustically-beautiful scenery, I'd rather go somewhere else.

Spoiler Mare Nostrum Ponderings :
On the Mare Nostrum topic, I kind of agree with the "book it at the last minute" since it sounds like temperatures are really important. When I went to Berlin in June of 2019, it was unseasonably warm, and I should have checked the forecast ahead of time and packed cooler clothes. Maine in August of 2022, hottest week of the summer up there. With the Berlin trip I was visiting people so I couldn't just go somewhere else, but with the Maine one, if I'd had a backup itinerary for, say, Montana, I could have gone there instead and enjoyed more moderate temperatures.

Maybe Corsica is the first choice but if you look at the forecast a week out and it's going to be scorching there, you could go to a second choice of Portugal that might be more moderate instead? Or Turkey? The benefit of the Mare Nostrum being quite large, it's less likely for it to be really hot everywhere at once than, say, around the Great Salt Lake.

I guess the other part of my question would be does it have to be Mediterranean for sun and sand? What about the Black Sea, or Bay of Biscay, or as warpus mentioned the Adriatic? If you do have to book at least the flights ahead of time but want to hedge your bets, would something like mountains or towns in the mountains be a better backup option than a hotel? Book in Slovenia, keep the middle part of the trip's hotel booking refundable, and if you get bad luck with the weather head on up to the highlands of Austria until it cools down, maybe even going to the Bodensee so you're still by water. Greece might also be an option where you could escape to higher elevation and cooler temps pretty quickly.

Coming back from the "big" city of Auckland to the small quaint plain of parking lots and suburbs called Christchurch in a couple days. For a city of 1.5 million people Auckland isn't very busy; Brisbane has quice the population but it feels like it's 10x more populated on the streets. Probably because Auckland is hard to get around on foot with all these hills (hills just don't exist in Christchurch, and the Port Hills don't really count), while Brisbane felt pretty accessible.

Auckland weather is very hit and miss. It's like Christchurch in a sense, but far more humid. I can't do any running here because of the stupid amount of pollen around. In some ways Auckland is refreshing but it's just repressively hot or repressively rainy or repressively both.

This year I'm probably going to go to England, and either Canada (Ontario), America (New Mexico & some other states maybe) or Europe (Italy / Spain) far later in the year. It would be my first time to England, so it'll be interesting. But that's a few months away, and I got study to do soon.

Not going to list all the places I’ve been privileged enough to travel to, but I am returning to SE Asia at the end of February. Last time I was there (2016) I went backpacking and hosteling with a couple friends. My wife said we had to up the quality of lodgings a bit this time lmao (totally fine, I’ve always preferred private bathrooms). We have a whole long list of places to go but the ones that are our most near term goals are Scotland & Ireland, the Grand Canyon, and Japan.

Not going to list all the places I’ve been privileged enough to travel to, but I am returning to SE Asia at the end of February. Last time I was there (2016) I went backpacking and hosteling with a couple friends. My wife said we had to up the quality of lodgings a bit this time lmao (totally fine, I’ve always preferred private bathrooms). We have a whole long list of places to go but the ones that are our most near term goals are Scotland & Ireland, the Grand Canyon, and Japan.

I went on 2 trips to SEA covering Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam; if you are looking for tips if you list the cities you're planning on visiting I can probably throw some at you. Same with Japan, whenever that trip happens, that trip still feels fresh in my mind (and I like to get around all over the place so I'm more likely to have ended up in some of your destinations of choice)

@thetrooper Here is a Corsican example for you. I have a friend in LeHavre who is from Corsica and visits her family there several times a year. Her sister lives in Lucciana, a small village in the hills overlooking south Bastia and rents one of her two apartments. It is a 15 minute drive from the beach. 1 bedroom, small kitchen and sleeps 3. Early July there is usually in the low to mid 30s and significantly less crowded than August. I will get the price of a two week rental so you have a comparison point.
@thetrooper My French friend's sister who rents a small apartment out in Corsica charges 450 Euros per week in July. It's a data point that may be helpful in thinking about where to go and comparing prices.

Last edited:
If you you choose NM or US southwest, I am happy to help with any questions you might have.
Does it snow in Albuquerque often? It did when I was there last time : )

Does it snow in Albuquerque often? It did when I was there last time
We used to get regular snows in winter, not much any more. The northern mountains do get snow and the ski slopes are open most winters. Our mountain (Sandias) do have snow now but it doesn't reach very far into the foothills. I think we have had two snows that actually accumulated this year. Both were less than a couple of inches and gone pretty quickly. When my wife wears her snowman earrings, it seems to help a bit.

Sounds like a staycation for a Norwegian? to go to Sweden for a vacation. :mischief:

Booked 4 nights in Zanzibar as a prelude to my Great Migration safari in the Serengeti this coming July. While @thetrooper is chilling in the cold waters of the Baltic, I'll be snorkeling on the tropical reefs of the Indian Ocean!

Last edited:
Top Bottom