[dev thread] Mad Max Fury Road

OK but the cars/trucks don't need to be identical (except interceptor ;) ) - it's much easier for me to model basing on blueprints. So maybe this peterbilt 359 + grille in the front. What it'll make the unit postapocalyptical is for sure texture. :)

We could work as team work - it'll be fun :) You're very skilled with texturing so I'll be glad to see the top quality units in the mod.

I'm using yahoomessenger - asiox3@yahoo.com
i can install icq or any other messenger.
pms could also work :) - tough my box gets quickly full

Some quick feedback:

The map script was excellent - roads ruins etc., really immersive. From a purely aesthetic point of view some more vast barren featureless stretches of desert would be nice but I'm not sure how that would affect gameplay.

Refuelling is a really promising concept but needs some tweaking. At the moment utes are overpowered considering they don't need fuel - they are much cheaper than jeeps and not that much weaker considering.

I liked the consistent art style of the leaders but had some difficulty telling them apart - there was a lot of green!

No crashes :)

Didn't manage to build any tanks but only because I got massacred by one of my neighbours.

On the issue of graphical frills and enticing in new players - obviously having some excellent graphic artists on board will help here! I think if you want to focus more on gameplay and programming at this stage I would maybe get a few bits of eye candy in early game just to let players know this sort of thing is coming - a reskinned warrior, an interesting title screen, some evocative flags for the civilizations, new city styles etc. I know it's shallow but these kinds of things can be more apparant in making an impression on a new player than features which are ultimately more important (like refuelling) but less immediate.

Overall I had fun.

@Asio:
I would really appreciate team work, makes things faster and one can learn from one another and could be great fun ;)
my IcQ is 3 77 27 61 7. hope you can install it.

For the link i gave, they tell which cars they used to base the vehicles in the movie, i just thought, maybe you can just google the blueprint for that and see if you can add some stuff seen on the movie pics. but it is really up to you ;)

@Colin. you are probably completely right. I will have a look and see if i can get the early human models (not vehicles) for the early game units done.

Lets get this mod going.

Playing version 0.2. So far so good. 2 things: One, I would raise significantly or remove the barabrian xp cap. Two, why are riflemen more powerful then the rifle jeep?

What do you think of this?
http://www.stamp-n-toys.com/upload/31117_lg.jpg
Probably i would make fuel trailler using this as a bluprint

That's great! The old ZIS5B truck engine with this type of trailer, or a whole new truck, is just what I had in mind. I looked up the BMW R75 motorcycle model you mentioned and that has the right look. There are probably a bunch of variants we could make, but one simple motorcycle with no sidecar would be amazing to start with.

Of course it needs a rider, but if it's possible to just grab one off an existing model at first, we can put on other rider models later. I got a PM from Chugginator who was interested in people models, but if we have several people who can do them, it will go very fast.

That's great! The old ZIS5B truck engine with this type of trailer, or a whole new truck, is just what I had in mind. I looked up the BMW R75 motorcycle model you mentioned and that has the right look. There are probably a bunch of variants we could make, but one simple motorcycle with no sidecar would be amazing to start with.

Of course it needs a rider, but if it's possible to just grab one off an existing model at first, we can put on other rider models later. I got a PM from
Chugginator who was interested in people models, but if we have several people who can do them, it will go very fast.

I wanna do the punks :D give Chuggi the Survivors :p

EDIT: I cant download the zip. the link just gives me a blank window

The map script was excellent - roads ruins etc., really immersive. From a purely aesthetic point of view some more vast barren featureless stretches of desert would be nice but I'm not sure how that would affect gameplay.

Some of the maps do have big deserts. To see a variety of maps quickly, you can start the game, use ctrl-z to view everything, and then use the "regenerate map" choice in the main menu. I was playing a map last night where the only ruin I could reach was in the middle of a desert, and the problem was I couldn't get any food at all. So the city was stuck at population 1. Even if I'd found some refugees and sent them there, they would have starved.

I liked the consistent art style of the leaders but had some difficulty telling them apart - there was a lot of green!

True. Leaderhead graphics are definitely on the list of "what's needed". I started with 75x50 pixel, two color graphics from a 1998 game -- not the best starting point. I'll ask around on the leaderhead forum more now that vehicles and other units seem to be underway.

Refuelling is a really promising concept but needs some tweaking. At the moment utes are overpowered considering they don't need fuel - they are much cheaper than jeeps and not that much weaker considering.

2 things: One, I would raise significantly or remove the barabrian xp cap. Two, why are riflemen more powerful then the rifle jeep?

I'm nervous about removing the XP cap. There is an exploit called "barbarian farming" where you encircle a barbarian nation and send every one of your units there to level up. Let's see, but I'd prefer to have the player go knock around the other civilizations.

As for relative unit power levels, I agree it could use some tweaking. One of my key concepts was that the actual Mad Max car, the interceptor, should be one of the main player units. I don't have a unit model for that yet, so I used the "ute" pickup truck for that. My intention was to make this unit much more cost-effective than the other units. It has some great promotions also, like weapon mount. An experienced ute should kick the butt of any other unit, and my goal is that a veteran ute should even be able to stand up against tanks (not there yet!)

I'll look at the rifleman, rifle jeep, and other unit power levels. I guess the jeep is mobile, so it should be more expensive and slightly weaker compared to the foot unit.

Overall I had fun.

Thanks! If we can get some great graphics together then it is on the way to being a killer mod!

EDIT: I cant download the zip. the link just gives me a blank window

Which zip is the problem? The game download? Direct link here:

http://jendaveallen.com/fury-road/fury-road-v02.zip

Colin was able to download. You can reach the same place with ftp if that is easier. It's 2.7 MB, can you receive an email with an attachment? PM me (with an email address) if you want me to email it.

worked thanks!

I´ll try to start the first punk units tonight. may post something tomorrow if i come far enough.
Cheers!!!

I couldn't find good blueprint for Mack and variety of versions made finding photos also hard.

So i stayed with Peterbilt.

It has also significant problem - it contains right now 900 triangles.
When the model would be finished it would have probably more than 1500 triangles.
I think it's ok if you won;t spam this units in game.

I couldn't find good blueprint for Mack and variety of versions made finding photos also hard.[...]
It has also significant problem - it contains right now 900 triangles.
When the model would be finished it would have probably more than 1500 triangles.
I think it's ok if you won;t spam this units in game.

1500 poly is large, but not fatal. My concept is that you would have only one or two of these units in each attacking army. Also, it has no attack strength, which I think means it is never on the top of the stack. So it may not be drawn on the screen all the time.

Right now the mechanic doesn't work that way, the refinery generates one every 3-4 turns so the AI cities wind up with stacks of them. But if the model looks good, I can change the mechanic around so they work together.

I dont think 1500 is very large, you should remember, an average vanilla foot model has around 700-900 triangles and usually you draw 3 of them in one unit. So, I think 1500 is a good upper limit for a single unit graphic like the tanker.

Cheers ;)

P.S: I didnt see crossbowman units or something?! can you give me a list of all foot units you need a "punks" version?

Before I released 0.2, I had a few more units in the game that used vanilla models, like I had a motorcycle unit which used the chariot model. It made the mod look silly -- chariots in a post-apocalypse game ? So I reduced the number of units in 0.2.

Suppose I had four punk style guys: one with a big axe, one with a crossbow, one with a rifle, and one whose arms went to the vehicle mounted gun. Here's what I would do.

* Replace warrior with punk-axe
* Replace rifleman with punk-rifle
* Put punk-crossbow guy into jeep vehicle and remove the rifle mount
* Add a motorcycle with punk-axe guy or punk-crossbow guy
* Add a second motorcycle with punk-rifle guy
* Replace gunner in jeep rifle unit and humvee unit

If there are variants of the units then I would start adding them as UU's.

Does that help?

texturing is easy.
just get me the models ;)

1538 triangles

It can have a little bit less after changing ladder and grill

Beautiful truck asio!

Here's a punk I made, I'm going to work on some variations (different tattoos, hair etc.) and a button when I get time.

I modelled him using parts of the Firaxis CEO and the scout models, and new custom models like the fire axe, mohawk etc. Uses the warrior animations.

Hopefully seZ hasn't made a punk axemen already... because that would make mine obsolete. :p:lol:

Download!

Beautiful truck asio!

Here's a punk I made, I'm going to work on some variations (different tattoos, hair etc.) and a button when I get time.

I modelled him using parts of the Firaxis CEO and the scout models, and new custom models like the fire axe, mohawk etc. Uses the warrior animations.

Hopefully seZ hasn't made a punk axemen already... because that would make mine obsolete. :p:lol:

Download!

great stuff chuggi!!!

I will do some punk models who look like the ones from mad max II, (leather jacket, football armor, Helmets, glasses, stuff like that) which then can be stuck onto any animation (crossbow, rifle, etc.).
But first I might unwrap and texture that Truck from asio and then do the damage textures of silo, depot and airbase.

Top Bottom