[dev thread] Mad Max Fury Road

OK, I turned off grids, and now I can see your textures. They are great! I love the dead trees mixed in with the live ones. I have attached two screenshots.

View attachment 178856View attachment 178855

In the first one, I think the tundra is too dark; it's hard to see the buildings on it. You can barely see the new "silo" resource I have tried to retexture to look ruined. (It is the "bunker" building from BTS.) Also there is not much difference between the plains and desert, except for the green spots on the plains.

In the second one, in the jungle, some of the trees seem wrong. I put an arrow pointing at what may be a treetop sitting on the ground. They look like big green piles.

I'd definitely use these if you have the opportunity to adjust them a little as above. But, I'd rather have the truck texture first, and maybe the motorcycle texture assuming asio is working on it :)

yea some of the things you mentioned I was aware of already, just wanted to go to bed, so couldn´t tune it further :D
But I will adjust it as soon as possible. The desert / plains things is more or less on purpose, as I think the whole terrain should look more "dead", but I understand that it needs to be clearly visible on the first look. anything specific you would like to have the plains look like?

the "treetop" on the ground is actually a normal jungle feature, but I think I can make something better out of it, by adjusting alpha channel.

Didn´t hear anything from asio... but asio, if you read this, do the bike, let me put a punk on the bike ;)

I don´t know when I have time to continue working on all the texturing (uni related stuff is keeping me very busy these days), but I´ll try asap.

I had my silly minute, so i made this:

Right, that's a Brahmin Ressource Grapic (<-- Link). The Two-Headed-Cow from Fallout. I allways felt they added a lot to the athmosphere there. Not sure if you want them, but i think they would fit well in a postapocalyptic setting.

It uses the animation from the Civ4 cow. The heads move a bit synchroneous - for some strange reason the cow skeleton only had one head-bone... :mischief:

I had my silly minute, so i made this:

Right, that's a Brahmin Ressource Grapic (<-- Link). The Two-Headed-Cow from Fallout. I allways felt they added a lot to the athmosphere there. Not sure if you want them, but i think they would fit well in a postapocalyptic setting.

It uses the animation from the Civ4 cow. The heads move a bit synchroneous - for some strange reason the cow skeleton only had one head-bone... :mischief:

awesome :lol:

Keep up the great work! This is exciting to see this take shape. Hopefully, Colin will grab some of the eye candy for Necro Cristi too. Trucks and motorcycles are sorely needed in this community. I'll have to find some time to take this one for a spin.

Didn´t hear anything from asio... but asio, if you read this, do the bike, let me put a punk on the bike ;)

I don´t know when I have time to continue working on all the texturing (uni related stuff is keeping me very busy these days), but I´ll try asap.

OK i planned to put marine on it but it shouldn't be tough how to change the unit when i figure out.

Lovely Brahmin :)

Oh, i see Asio you are working on a bike... How far are you ? Because i am working on a bike model as well...

I just have the model so far. Was going to texture and animate it with a driver and a gunner...

It's at 800 Polys with the sidecar and 500 just the bike. A bit high, but i dont see where i can cut more.

I'm pretty much done with the development work for version 0.4. The main feature for gameplay is "religions". I have noticed that the AI players rarely get mad at each other and start wars. That is because the two main things to cause the relationships to go outside the small range -1 to +1 is religion, and favorite civics. I had removed both from my mod in order to "start small, then build".

Adding back civics is easy. Religions aren't really part of the post-apocalypse feel I want. But, I looked at Final Frontiers again, and that mod has "values" such as knowledge, power, wealth instead of religions. That sort-of makes sense. I came up with a new idea based on that, "visions of the future". Basically each leader has a vision of how government should work as civilization is rebuilt. For example, a biker gang leader may envision future government as "Anarchy". A power-mad general may envision future government as "Monarchy". Each player can try to convert the other players to their vision of the future. If two players share a vision, they get friendly; if two players disagree over the vision, they get less friendly. As you can see, the mechanics are same as religion. There are six visions: anarchy, democracy, federalism, monarchy, plutocracy and technocracy.

I have finished the design and entered all the xml. I am still working on some of the required buttons, to replace all the religion graphics. It will involve modifying gamefont.tga. The instructions for that look intimidating, but I will try to tackle it tonight.

Since it is a pretty big change to gameplay, I will need a few days to test it out. I am aiming for a release in a week or so, around June 15.

I have also added a number of graphics borrowed from here and there, to replace the vanilla ancient units in 0.3. Most importantly, I have a full set of leaderheads! There is a complete list with screenshots at this link. I have made some changes since then, but that is what I posted to the leaderhead request thread.

Here's hoping version 0.4 will have a textured tanker, motorcycle, and some kind of replacement for the vanilla warrior!

Want!! But I can't get it to work! I downloaded the madmax.zip and unpacked it. There are three nifs, I assume madmax.nif is the right one. There's only one kfm. I plugged it into a directory called "guardian", but civilopedia crashes trying to display it. I checked the filename spelling (twice). I was able to use Chug's punk warrior and Asio's fuel truck, so I know the mechanics. I can view the nif in nifskope and it seems right, but I am certainly not an expert in nifskope.

Here is the operative part of my artdefines_unit.xml:

Code:
	<NIF>Art/Units/guardian/madmax.nif</NIF>
	<KFM>Art/Units/guardian/NextWar_Cyborg.kfm</KFM>
	<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/guardian/madmax.nif</SHADERNIF>
	<ShadowDef>
		<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
		<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
		<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
	</ShadowDef>

Is there something I missed?

here's what i used for artdefines:
Code:
<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_MADMAX</Type>
			<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Marine.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,3,7</Button>
			<fScale>0.48</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
			<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
			<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
			<NIF>Art/Units/madmax/madmax.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Units/madmax/NextWar_Cyborg.kfm</KFM>
			<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/madmax/madmax.nif</SHADERNIF>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/UnitShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>1.0</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.05</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bActAsRanged>1</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop/>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd/>
			</AudioRunSounds>
		</UnitArtInfo>

and i also wrote a unit listing for him limiting the unit to just him instead of 3. (like a hero unit)
to add this hero unit, check out some of the things in FfH2 did with promotions :)

edit: thats really wierd. it crashes my civilopaedia too (or rather just shows a blank page). but the unit shows up in the game. thats wierd. lemme ask someone for help.

Something is still wrong with madmax. I can put down the unit in WB. But as soon as I exit WB and go back to the game, I get a python exception about the redraw loop, and it hangs. And I can't display it in the civilopedia either; it is a similar python exception -- not a crash, sorry for the confusion.

Anybody else reading this thread want to try? I don't think it's my machine or setup. I guess I am glad Garrett can see something wrong too, in the civilopedia. I haven't seen other units with multiple nif files, but I don't know enough to say whether that's a problem.

It would look really cool to put the hair and body from chugginator's punk onto this guy! (hint :)

yeah, i havent used this method of unit creation in over a year, and i probly bugged it up. i asked C.Roland to take a look at it in another thread as i use his tut for making it :D

Oh, i see Asio you are working on a bike... How far are you ? Because i am working on a bike model as well...

I just have the model so far. Was going to texture and animate it with a driver and a gunner...

It's at 800 Polys with the sidecar and 500 just the bike. A bit high, but i dont see where i can cut more.

I think yours looks better - it's more poligons but it looks better.

I converted lemonsong's BMW R 75 (i don't remember the address of the page) - it's free model that ships with texture. After removing extra opilgons and mergin pieces, and textures together i just need to put marines and mg inside, and animate it. Tough i have zero knowledge in animating humans.

Motorcycle + sidecar - 492 triangles
Motorcycle - 268 triangles
It''s very simple shape

BTW where did you get blurprints?
i was dreaming to make this unit for about half a year but i couldn't find blueprints :(

Both motorcycles look great so far. Can you put them up, in case others may want to take a crack at putting the people on?

I think yours looks better - it's more poligons but it looks better.
Thanks. When i just seen the picture, before reading what you wrote, i was going to say the same :lol:
Yours have better textures for sure.

And don't mention blueprints ...:cry:... I had a good sideview sketch. Also found a 90000 :)crazyeye:) Polys model from GTA, to account for the missing viewes.
And a couple of other reference pictures from hobby biker / restoration websites... - all distorted because taken from an angle - Used them to produce the texture... (it's why it's so crappy...)

I cut my down to 400 + 180 Polys for Bike + Sidecar and put preliminary textures onto it. Looking closely it is a bit smoother in some parts than yours, but i think it's not a big deal in the game...

Overall i would like to make a joint venture of it - using my as base for the smoother parts (i.e the sidecar), but using some of the lower-poly details (Front wheel assembly, those baggage boxes and perhaps the wheel covers) and the better textures from your model.

The latest version of my files (Max, Texture and UV Template). It's not game ready yet (No bones, anims, shaders)...

Made a first try tp put the guys on it.

Right now it's at rather intimidating 2.500 Polys for visible geometry + 1000 More from the bones (Those bone Poly's will not be rendered, i hope). So i think in the end i will go with just two soldiers - driver and the guy in the sidecar (who will get his legs removed)

Gun's can be easily changed for other guns or a crossbow once it's animated.

cool stuff guys !!!

(i dont like the leaderheads, I think the green fallout ones still made a better atmosphere than those improviesed 3d heads. but taste is different and its your mod ;) )

I unfortunately had not have time and don´t know how much I can do today :(

But I´ll hurry with that Truck.

Top Bottom