[dev thread] Mad Max Fury Road

Yes. Actually, i had this on backburner for a while now - i initially made a similar template - it was only switching between Idle\Accept\Refuse back then - at a request from someone in the Planetfall team.
AFAIK it did not get used in the end because there were no diffrent moods pictures avaiable for the leaders.

Seing that the Fallot Talking heads come with different facial expressiones, i decided to give it another go, so i made a somewhat refined one. It can be further refined if necessary.

I picked out a few of the "least post-apocalypse" backgrounds from my leaderheads and replaced them with a few of the backgrounds Refar sent. It seems like a small improvement, anyway. I cleaned out the worst artifacts manually and then just blurred to get rid of the rest. Here is one example.

I think it somehow still is too cartoonish to convey the desperate atmosphere you want to have...

Unfortunately the cartoonischness is inherent to those Civ4 LH animations - if using the Animated 3D LH's there will be no way around it. Maybe trimming the animation sets could help taking out some of it. Something like using Cautious/Angry/Furious animations only for all leaders - this would make the overall athmosphere more "hostile".

Unfortunately the cartoonischness is inherent to those Civ4 LH animations - if using the Animated 3D LH's there will be no way around it. Maybe trimming the animation sets could help taking out some of it. Something like using Cautious/Angry/Furious animations only for all leaders - this would make the overall athmosphere more "hostile".

I am all for the Fallout static/mood pics!

The Fallout ""leaderheads"" which Refar has found are pretty limited in number. If you haven't, you may want to look into the falloutcharacters.7z file. In my opinion, the punk girl is the best. But all the other characters in that file are even more "cartoony" than the 3d leaderheads in civ 4. Do you think the characters in there are better? I need 18.

I think it is more a principal decision between 2D and 3D LH art, than between the currently present pictures. I am undecided myself, as both have advantages and disadvantages.
So this is - as my previous suggestions are - just some of my thoughts, not a vote.

3D LH's have more live in them and blend better with the original game. But there are not many of them, which are not instantly recognized as reskins of some original LH, which is not a good thing, i.e. since the Civ4 original art is widely regarded to be cartoony.

2D would certainly make it easier to carry over the mood with new faces (In Civ4 context). And since its more a conversion than a mod (all leaders are going to be new) the "Blend with original Civs" - concideration can be disregarded.
The obvious downside is them beeing static.

On the subject of having not enought good fallout pics. There are indeed not enought to fill 18 slots. I think ~10 or something of them are ok. But generally 2D pictures are easier to come by, and easier to touch up, if necessary, then fully developed animated LH's. I came up with the Fallout ones, because you had some Fallout pictures in there already.
Another source i can think of right now are the huge archives of Civ3 2D LH animations - any of them would give the 3 frames necessary. Genrally any 2D character where 3 different facial expressions (for nice/normal/bad mood) do exist could be used.

just wanted to let you guys know, i finished the basic truck 256 texture.

all colors are complete free to change, transfering it to teamcolour will be a pain, though... (I´d suggest you come up with flags and colours for all teams and then I´ll modify the texture to have the flag and the colour by hand. (colours will look mch better and you have a nice symbol somewhere...)

It is not the post apo variant, that will come later (this one is too clean ;))

I still have to texture the tank, but that is easy... just need a break now ;)

just wanted to let you guys know, i finished the basic truck 256 texture.

all colors are complete free to change, transfering it to teamcolour will be a pain, though...

Great! I am still aiming for a release Sunday. Can you put up what you have so I can add it? I'm not worried about teamcolors; some people like it, but the flag is right there, so I don't think it is a requirement.

It's beautiful - amazing texture

It's beautiful - amazing texture

thanks guys!

So, time to animate it asio, here is the full thing, I´ll create a post apo texture next and will post it here later or tomorrow.

So, hopefully asio will have animated it until tomorrow.

Attachments

• Modern Oiltruck.zip
    362.8 KB · Views: 78
1. What animations it should have?
I was thinkin about shots from behind the metal plates (instead windows). Or it shouldn't have anny attacking animations?

2. It has Force 2 Sided turned on - should i turn it off? (i think it has impact of the speed)

1. What animations it should have?
I was thinkin about shots from behind the metal plates (instead windows). Or it shouldn't have anny attacking animations?

2. It has Force 2 Sided turned on - should i turn it off? (i think it has impact of the speed)

1.about combat, i have no idea, that is up to davidlallen, but it might not hurt to give it a shooting animation ;)

2.I added the stencil property to see both sides, but I think you can easily switch it off, as you modelled all the necessary things in 3d (I prefer using planes (cause of easy tranpsarency work) on my units and add a stencil (2 sided) property).
EDIT: except you want to let it fall over in its death animation, because then the bottom sides are missing... I suggest let the tank explode and burn ;)

Here is the Fury road post apocalyptic style Gas Tanker texture...

Attachments

• PostapoGastruck.zip
    383.1 KB · Views: 77
Here it is in the game! If you look carefully you can see the cows have two heads. Also you can see the bombed city look, the city wall (rusty corrugated metal), and the refinery building I found.

I am totally ignorant about editing nif, but the tanker is selected and the unit is all the way over at the side of the plot. Can you edit the nif a little so it is more centered?

Regarding animations, in the mod, the tanker has no attack strength. So I think the most important animations are (a) a "hurt" animation, maybe small fireballs or sparks flying, and (b) a "death" animation, maybe a big fireball. Also, is it possible when the unit is moving and turning, the engine could turn first, and then the trailer?

(EDIT: the above paragraph makes no sense. The tanker has strength 0 and a capture setting. So it never takes damage or gets destroyed. It gets "consumed" when the user activates it; so I guess a fade-out animation is best. And the turning animation if possible. Less work on animating this, more time to finish the motorcycle! :)

Presently I am going insane trying to edit gamefonts.tga. More specifically, I can edit it fine, but the game displays it all wrong after I edit. I have watched carefully to keep the magenta lines and the little cyan spots, but nothing is working. I guess I need to "level up" on mod creation!

David, what program are you using to edit the gamefonts file? I had an absolute nightmare trying to edit it (and ended up just leaving it for the time being) and I know my version of photoshop simply doesn't correctly read all the different layers that are there. Your best bet might be to ask in the forums of a mod which has managed to do this correctly (such as FFH) and see what utilities and tips they can offer.

Top Bottom