[Development] Map Suggestions

You need a github account and tell me its name, then I can give you access.

Okay, I have invited you to the private repository.

A few more suggestions.

-The eastern Burmese jade could be moved to the tile 1N of the amber. Kachin State in the north is the most important source of jade in Burma (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kachin_State#Economy). The current jade tile would instead be a good spot to spawn opium since most Burmese opium is produced in Shan State (located east of Mandalay).

-Maybe the salt that used to be in northern New York state should be restored. It could go 2N1W of the NY lagoon, near Syracuse ("The Salt City"). Historically New York State dominated salt production in the US (together with Michigan IIRC).

-There could be silver in Ontario, 1E of either the copper or rare earths. The Cobalt silver rush was very rich while it lasted, however that was only a short time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_silver_rush).

-A somewhat doubtful suggestion is to add jade in eastern Taiwan which supplied much of South East Asia in a cool trading network active in prehistoric times (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade#Taiwan,_Philippines,_and_Maritime_Southeast_Asia). Probably prehistoric Taiwan/SEA isn't really very relevant to the mod though.

-IIRC the Falkland Islands tile is surrounded by regular coast terrain. Given their climate and very low population I think arctic coast would fit better. Perhaps more controversially: maybe Lake Baikal should also be arctic coast to prevent obtaining tons of 3-food tiles from it by building a harbor.

I don’t know if this is a ‘map suggestion’ per se, but having pre-placed independent cities (with some spawning when meeting certain conditions) might help steer the AI (and players) to follow historical paths.
Independent civs have their own culture of course, so perhaps coding that allows new civs in the extended region to flip the culture, but only when actually conquering it.

Follow-up on my previous idea, making these cities flip to certain civs (or ones with certain civics) upon having a military unit nearby can also help steer the AI towards establishing itself (and expanding) to areas of historical relevance. So far, I’m pleased on the pattern of where each civ explores and settles (was pretty impressed when Portugal settled Muscat in Arabia), but a little more help in less settled areas could be warranted.

Any thought of including the new resources and terrain types on the old map? I tried to do something like this a year ago but I couldn't figure out how to port over the resource variety types or to get the map to load outside of a WB save. If anyone is able to lend tech expertise on this, I'd be happy to take the time to re-develop the old map with new resources and terrains.

At some point after the new map is introduced, I might restore the current map as an alternative option.

I'm not sure if this has been answered, but what was the resource placement strategy? To be as historical as possible or instead to make sure the terrain and improvement bonuses influence historical population densities and regional productivity? Was influencing warfare over border resources factored in as well or just something we'll watch unfold as the new map becomes play tested?

Last edited:
sorry for popping in. I've been messing around downloading and wanting to play after a long time not having done so, and I looked around the forum a bit

Spoiler :

this from an earlier post in this thread. Under the tile labeled "snowy trees" is a flat tile where I assume Oslo is supposed to be, and I'd put the river on the left side of the tile to the right and then maybe extend it another tile up. To represent Glomma basically

sorry for the disturbance

You should have access.

Since we have semidesert terrain in this map, I think that we should try to avoid having plains/savanna/steppe directly touching desert tiles, both for cosmetic (it looks better/less abrupt transition) and geographic realism reasons (it's very rare in real life to have a direct transition from plains to desert without some sort of scrubland.

Also, the Kalahari should have much more semidesert in it, it's far more of a semidesert than it is a true desert.

I'd also recommend adding 1 tile to the east coast of Great Britain, for a more aesthetic coastline, and either adding another tile above the current diagonal Cornwall tile, or else replacing the diagonal Cornwall tile with a tile above it, I don't know how to access this map, so I can't test out possibilities myself, sadly.

As far as setting up the map for city placement, I think South Africa could now accommodate at least 5 cities (Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Bloemfontein, and Pretoria) without being too crowded, as much as I'd love to have all the important Boer cities, it doesn't seem to work on this scale. I read through this thread before I made my account here, and now I can't find the specific post, but I saw one that proposed expanding South Africa by adding an extra row...this could be a very promising idea, enabling a third city for the Boers, if they are ever added in. One potential idea for a Boer civilization is to have them start with settlers near Cape Town in the 1830s, and have them have to move the settlers to the Boer Republic areas while avoiding independent/native/barbarian impis, instead of just spawning settlers in Bloemfontein and Pretoria. Perhaps, given the prominence the miracle at Blood River has in Boer culture, one of their unique units could be called the Voortrekker, and it could be a settler with combat abilities, and when it settles, all of it's XP could become free production/culture/gold for the city it founds, maybe at a rate of like 1 XP point to 100 production/culture/gold points. That would be a unique gameplay element for the Boers, and could encourage them to battle a few impis with their Voortrekkers before settling, as opposed to just beelining to Pretoria and Bloemfontein, essentially making the Great Trek and Blood River a real part of the game.

A unique ability for the Boers could be "the Power of the Bittereinders" - for every Boer unit destroyed, all enemy units in southern Africa lose 10 HP, for every Boer city captured, all enemy units in southern Africa lose 50 HP, but for every Boer civilian unit capture by the enemy, the Boers gain extra war weariness, a reflection of how the Brits won the Boer war by capturing and imprisoning innocent Boer civilians until the Boers capitulated to spare the lives of their families.

Overall, this new map creates a real potential for a unique and fun Boer civilization in South Africa, which currently has no playable civilizations.

Boer diplomacy music could be Sarie Marais or Die Stem...Sarie Marais would probably be better, since it was written during the Boer Wars, whereas Die Stem was written after the Boer Republics were destroyed.

I'm very excited to one day play with this new map, especially in the South Africa area. South Africa looks so much better on this map than on the old one. Great work to the people who have made this new map.

You should have access now.

Some few suggestions while working on city names. Some are really minor (and some may have been mentioned here by others), while the last one is more substantial. So let's begin with the smaller ones:

Spoiler Argentine Mesopotamia :

Argentine Mesopotamia.JPG

• Moved the upper Marsh tile in the Paraná river 1W and put a rainforest on the tile. The reason is to open space for Corrientes, one of the most important cities in the Argentine Mesopotamia.
  • Removed the Coal resource in the highlighted tile in Santa Catarina (South Brazil). While the region does have a historical production, the coal here has a somewhat poor quality and as such had historically limited use for industrial purposes. Historically, the lack of Coal was a economic challenge for Brazil, particularly to industrialize and keep its navy fueled; most of the coal consumed was imported from Britain, United States and Argentina.

Spoiler Limpopo River :

Limpopo.JPG

• Slightly changed the course of Limpopo River 1SE from Rare Earths.
  • Other changes in the resource placement may be required if we add Zimbabwean/Mutapa/Rozvi civ to accommodate its cities. Great Zimbabwe, for example, should be exactly on the rare earths tile.

Now, for the more substantial suggestion:

Spoiler Lake Chad :

Lake Chad.JPG

• Lake Chad is moved 1E from its original position. There are reasons for such change: the lake is enlarged in our map, something that is really not the issue (since the lake is staple on the Central Africa geography and history), however its enlargement was made at the expense of western lands in Northern Nigeria, which have historically hosted many important cities/native kingdoms such as the Sokoto Caliphate, Kano and the Kanem-Bornu Empire. Thus, moving the lake 1E not only put it in a more correct location but also would allow Kano and a Bornu city coexist. Also, few changes were made to make the Chad basin more accurate.
  • Also, in the highlighted hill tile I've added a Copper resource. Both the Sao peoples that lived South of Lake Chad and many Nigerian chiefdoms/kingdoms had impressive bronze-working skills, so access to it is reasonable, particularly if we add new civs to the region. I think this was already suggested before, but I'm unsure if it was ruled out or not.

Top Bottom