1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Development thread for 1.5

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Swarbs

Swarbs Chieftain

I never use it, but I can see why some people would want to.

In which case, why not leave it in? It will be useful for people who are infuriated by daft AI city placement etc. And if people want to use it to make themselves an artificially easy start for some civs they are only cheating themselves.

2. ales_

ales_ Heir

Can't you spawn the additional AI units one turn later, after the possible human switch?

3. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

Personally I like the ability to switch a lot.

It is a shame that it is linked to doing poorly (I imagine the Original idea was another chance to do better in the same game (preferably far away from your original playground) when you messed up)

I'd really like it if it could be linked to performing well. Eg the ability to switch civilizations upon completing two UHV's.

~​

Also RFC, by the virtue of UHV's, already shortens your game by taking away turns at the end. By also forcing the player to skip turns at the beginning arguably a lot of game is thrown away for no good reason.
    (I see the starting with a (partially) predetermined setup not only as a way to generate a specific challenge but also as a convinient way to skip a certain undesirable phase of gameplay and go straight to the good parts. But if the part that is skipped is fun I think it should not be taken away from the player (in my experience setting up a civilization for an easy UHV can be done in very different ways (eg. help future self vs handicap future opponents) and feels like a fourth UHV. A shame to take all those intangible UHV's away.)

4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

That's also not a perfect solution.
    Later spawning workers are already strange IMO.
    Does anyone know why were they done this way in vanilla RFC?
    More importantly, those delayed unit flips (which are somewhat connected) can lead up to quite a few strange situations.

5. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

DoC changed the worker spawn, so they spawn when you found your first city, instead of spawning 2 turns after spawn. This can be applied to RFCE as well.

6. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

Why is it that the AI values sheep higher than other ressources in trade?

7. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

Is it intended that the Huskarl unit is 50 :hammers: while Swordmen are only 40 :hammers:?

8. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

What? You don't like sheep more than the rest?? Blasphemy!
    Also, Super Sheep was my favourite weapon in Worms Armageddon!
    Yeah, IIRC it was a balance change for the 1st UHV.

gilgames and cmakk1012 like this.
  9. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

Fresh water lakes aren't spreading "Fresh Water" anymore.

10. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Thanks, fixed! :)
    Checked it (also all other AI resource trade values) and the related AI mechanics, didn't see any mistake. Sheep doesn't have any specific modifiers anywhere.
    Are you sure it wasn't just because it was potentially more beneficial for them? Did the AI value another resource differently for which he had more or less the same number of health/happiness boosting buildings?

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  11. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

In this savegame you can trade for sheep with England. They won't trade for just one ressource. (Latest revision.) It happens with gold sometimes, too. Hungary is doing that for example.

Attached Files:

12. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

As I mentioned in the last post, a lot of things modifiy AI value calculations. Most importantly how much health and happiness does the given resource mean to themselves.
    This can be different of course for the various resources.
    But other bonuses from buildings, and even soon-to-be-researched techs can modify the trade value to some extent.
    So it's nothing unique for Sheep, many resources can be valued more than the average.

13. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Alright, 1.5 is released, we can use that thread for main feedback from now on.

14. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I did a Kievian game this night, and zwo strange things happened.
    1, there was 2 keshiks in 1209.
    2, After i reached 25k food, the counter stopped counting any more, however I had a good chance to overcome my personal record (27k+) by 1300AD.
    (svn 1262 or 3 idk)

Attached Files:

15. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

The Keshiks are coming from a spawned barb city.
    The second one is unintentional, and I agree that it's strange this way. Should count normally while it's visible.
    It might have been changed for some other UHV counters as well, will check all of them.

16. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

SVN1259

Encountered a situtation where Scotland didn't spawn when I built a city in its initial spawnlocation (3x3) as Norway.

17. El Bogus

El Bogus Chieftain

I had this bug, too. AbsintheRed already fixed it, tough.

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

One similar bug was fixed some time ago, but this might be new. There were some changes which might be related on some level.
    Can you test it out if it also happens with the latest version?

19. Force44

Force44 Chieftain

I'll get back on it in a couple of days. First I want Fatimah to finish constructing the most productive city of Cairo possible.
    (I need approximately another 30 turns to get the final great person for the golden age. It will be a close call though. I have about 50 turns left in the game.)

I had a bad experience recently when I updated my SVN midgame and couldn't load my old savegames anymore.

20. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Played a game as the Ottomans until 1404 and then my Empire collapsed.... the Ottomans, and others have serious stability issues in this game. I was already negative in stability early in the game. But the stability hit from conquering new cities needs to seriously be reduced. On top of that I was only conquering areas that were required by my UHV, and most of it was in border areas.